• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,607 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,607

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty

The four mares left the clinic, talking amongst themselves about what they had seen.

"What an amazing learning experience...to think magic has advanced medicine so far is simply incredible," Twilight said as she walked beside Trixie.

"Trixie must admit that she was impressed as well. Trixie has never seen magic used in such a way," Trixie added with a small smirk. "Trixie can only wonder how pleased the mothers are."

"You've got no idea Trix," Vinyl said. "I mean...how would you feel looking at your kid for the first time?"

"'Trix?' Trixie has never been addressed in such a way..." Trixie said, unsure of how to handle the new nickname.

"Well, forget about that for now. Just think about what I said- imagine your kid with Twilight," Vinyl blurted out loud.

"Vinyl! Stop embarrassing them! You do not know what Trixie and Twilight have planned," Octavia said. She was absolutely right- Trixie and Twilight looked at one another for a brief moment, blushing hotly. Trixie began to imagine what their child would look like: she imagined a small foal with bright lavender eyes, a blue coat, and a silver mane with a bright pink stripe. Trixie found her heart racing at the mental image of her child.

"Trixie...uh...Trixie gets what you mean..." she said softly. Twilight was a stuttering, blushing mess, Vinyl's question having turned her mind upside down.

"U-Uh...w-well..." Twilight stammered.

"Relax Twi, I was just kidding," Vinyl chuckled. "You two are almost as easy to rile up as Octy over here."

"I am not easy to 'rile up' as you say, Vinyl. I take your comments in stride," Octavia said, raising her chin slightly.

"In stride? I've got the scars on the back of my head to prove otherwise," Vinyl said.

"Oh, I am certain that was not me. I am also certain they dropped you on your head as a child," Octavia said with a smirk.

"Hey, that only happened once!" Vinyl returned. "It was an accident, and I only fell two hooves!"

"Two hooves or two yards?" Octavia asked. "Judging by the way you think, I am willing to bet the latter."

"That's mean, Octy. You're mean. Why are you so mean to me?"

"I am not mean, I am simply stating the truth," Octavia said with a small smile.

"Well, if I was dropped on my head, you were born with a stick in your rump!" Vinyl accused, causing Octavia to blush in embarrassment. Trixie snickered slightly, Twilight looking away while trying to hide her laughter.

"I was NOT born with a stick in my rump! You are such a child!" Octavia said, her face a deep red.

"I may act like a kid, but that doesn't change the fact you were born with a stick in your rump," Vinyl said with a small laugh.

"Then you wonder why I hit you," Octavia said.

"A-HA! So you admit it!" Vinyl said, pointing an accusing hoof at her. She then turned to Twilight and Trixie. "You see how she abuses me? Not only was she born with a stick in her rump, but every now and again she takes it out and hits me with it!" At this point, Twilight was laughing outwardly, Trixie restraining her laughter as best she could.

"Vinyl..." Octavia growled.

"Oh, please Miss Octavia, don't hit me anymore!" Vinyl said, pretending to shake in fear. Octavia suddenly smiled, which Twilight found very strange.

"Octavia...are you alright?" Twilight asked.

"Oh...fine. Vinyl, would you come here for a moment?" Octavia asked sweetly.

"Sure thing!" Vinyl said, following Octavia out of their line of sight. Both Trixie and Twilight winced when they heard the familiar sound of hoof hitting skull. A few moments later, Octavia and Vinyl returned, Octavia's expression having returned to normal, Vinyl rubbing the back of her head. "...One day, you're gonna take my head clean off," Vinyl muttered.

"I wonder if I should take up martial arts...what do you think Vinyl?" Octavia asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh...no thanks...I like my head where it is," Vinyl said.

"Then don't test me," Octavia said in a threatening tone. "As much as we would love to spend the rest of the afternoon with you, we really need to get to our new house and begin the preparations for the move."

"It's fine, Octavia. Trixie and I really should get back to the clean-up. We'll see you later!" Twilight said as Trixie followed her.

"Take care," Octavia called after them. The two made their way back towards Lyra's house, stopping in front of the house next door.

"So this is the place, eh?" Vinyl said, looking up at it. The house was narrow, but tall. It had two stories, and several windows around the front.

"The mayor said it had three bedrooms- one on the first floor and two on the second floor. What we can do is take the first floor room, and once the baby is born the baby will stay in our room. Once it is old enough, it can take one of the rooms upstairs and the other room will be a guest room," Octavia explained.

"Sounds good to me," Vinyl said as she waited for Octavia to open the door. Once Octavia got the door open, they both entered. The house was in much better condition than expected- the wood floors looked like they had been laid down recently, and the scent of fresh paint lingered slightly. "This is pretty nice..."

"I must say I am impressed. We will have to repaint, however. I am not fond of such dark colors for a house like this- it needs brighter colors," Octavia said. She began to walk around the living room area, getting a feel for the space. "I think the sofa will go here...coffee table here..." Octavia mumbled as she moved. Vinyl simply watched, bored out of her mind.

"You know, I think the clean-up is more fun than this," Vinyl said flatly.

"Vinyl, this isn't supposed to be fun, this is important! We also need to create the music room- in essence, where I keep my instruments and where you keep your mixing equipment," Octavia reminded.

"Wow, you're right! I'll get right on that!" Vinyl rushed up the stairs, and across the hall. She found the two bedroom doors, and opened them both. "Not gonna lie...I'm a little creeped out being alone up here..." she mumbled to herself. She walked through each of the rooms, examining them closely. She tapped her hooves on the ground a few times, checking for proper acoustics. "...Yeah. This one will work," she said as she exited the room closest to the staircase. As she made her way down the hallway towards the stairs, she stepped on a loose floor board, creating a hollow thump that echoed behind her.

Octavia looked up as she heard Vinyl let out a screech, rocketing down the stairs like a bolt of white and blue lightning, cowering and shaking behind her. "Vinyl, what has gotten into you?!"

"...That scared the buck outta me..." Vinyl mumbled.

"What in Equestria could have possibly scared you up there?" Octavia asked.

"I dunno...I heard a noise from behind me, and I was the only one up there...this place had better not be haunted..."

"Haunted, Vinyl? Really? The mare who stared down a stallion ready to KILL her because she is dating another mare, and she is afraid of ghosts!?" Octavia said, unable to believe what she was hearing. "...You truly are a special one, Vinyl..."

"Hey, don't come crying to me when the ghosts get you- oh wait, you won't be able to because you'll be DEAD!" Vinyl yelled, still quite shaken.

"If it makes you feel better, we will prepare the upstairs together, alright?" Octavia offered.

"I wasn't gonna do it without you anyway, so that just makes my life easier," Vinyl said with a sigh. As they headed up the stairs, Vinyl stopped halfway up.

"What now, Vinyl?" Octavia asked.

"Just gimme a minute," Vinyl said. She took a deep breath, and stepped back up onto the second floor, standing next to Octavia.

"See, there is nothing to be afraid of. This house is not haunted, and your irrational fear of the supernatural is rather endearing," Octavia said.

"...Can we just get this over with please?" Vinyl said, feeling rather uncomfortable. They began to make their way towards the bedrooms, and Vinyl stepped on the same wooden plank that was loose, causing the loud thud once more. Before Octavia could look up, Vinyl had vanished from sight, hiding behind her.

"Vinyl, relax! Do you know what caused that noise?"

"...What?" Vinyl looked around nervously, paying attention to Octavia. Octavia raised her hoof and brought it down on the loose plank. Vinyl watched as it slowly raised up and fell back down, creating the same noise that had startled her before. "Oh...well, I knew that! I was just messing with you Octy," Vinyl said, boosting herself up with false bravado.

"Right, of course," Octavia said, letting Vinyl have her moment. Octavia quietly lifted the plank that was loose and brushed Vinyl's tail underneath it, letting the plank fall on top of it, causing it to pull on her tail.

"GAAAH! OCTY HELP ME THE FLOOR'S GOT ME!" Vinyl yelled, every trace of the previous bravado having vanished. She managed to free her tail, and looked over at Octavia, who was banging her hoof on a nearby wall as she nearly laughed herself silly.

"Oh, oh you should have seen the look on your face, Vinyl...absolutely priceless!" Octavia laughed, having enjoyed that moment of it.

"This is totally you getting revenge for what happened earlier, isn't it?" Vinyl asked flatly.

"Absolutely," Octavia said, wiping away a few tears. "That aside, we have work to do."

The two then continued about their duties, making sure that the house was fit and ready for use. The pair found the house very much to their liking (and very much not-haunted), beginning to make long-term plans as well.

PreviousChapters Next