• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,605 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,605

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty-Five

The pair continued their walk towards Octavia's home, watching other ponies walk past. What Vinyl found strange, was that Octavia was greeted by every pony that passed them by. After the tenth greeting, Vinyl spoke up.

"Who DON'T you know in this town, Octy? Maybe we shoulda sent mail in advance to have a parade set up," she joked.

"This is a fairly small town as you have clearly seen, so it is not surprising that everypony remembers me. That and I would send letters back to my parents after a successful performance. I like to keep them in the loop. That is probably why the last few ponies told me that they were fans of my work."

"Eh. My music isn't something my parents would wanna listen to, so I don't really think they'd care all that much." Vinyl said flatly.

Octavia frowned. "Vinyl, you give them too little credit. You saw how happy they were to see you, and how emotional a departure we had. Is it not time to let go of the grudge you hold?"

"I guess...I still think your parents are way cooler than mine." Vinyl responded, to which Octavia shook her head.

"You are such a child, Vinyl."

"But you love me anyway, don't ya?"

Octavia remained silent.

"Octy? Octy! Hey, that's not funny!" Vinyl yelled as Octavia continued on without her. The two neared the edge of town where a small house sat on a large area of land, a farm stretching out behind it.

"Well, here we are. This is where I grew up." Octavia said, trotting up to the wooden gate. She simply stood there, taking in the sight of her old home.

"Well? What're you waiting for?" Vinyl said, pushing past her and trotting up the stone trail.

"Oh, right." Octavia said, coming out of her trance and following Vinyl.

"Nice little place. I can already tell I like it." Vinyl said.

"You mean you would much rather prefer this little home over that castle of a mansion back in Echelon Gardens?"

"When it brings your family closer, yeah." Vinyl said. Octavia stopped mid-trot. She hadn't once thought that even though her parents cared for her very much, the monumental requisites of high-society life and maintaining the income could have stretched them very thin.

"I am sorry, Vinyl...I never thought of that."

"It's fine. I know you didn't mean-"

"Octavia?" A feminine voice said from behind them. Octavia immediately recognized it, and wheeled around. When she looked up, her mother was standing in the doorway to her home. Vinyl's jaw dropped when she saw the resemblance.

"Wow...I see where you get your looks from..." Vinyl said, in awe. Octavia didn't respond as she quickly rushed up the steps and threw herself at her mother, the two locking in a tight embrace.

"Oh, Octavia! It's so good to see you again! I've missed you so much!" Madeline said, crying her heart out, relishing in the feeling of her daughter's embrace.

"Me too, Mother...me too..." Octavia whispered, shedding her own tears as she felt waves of comfort and relief wash over her. Vinyl watched the scene intently, forced to wipe a tear from her eye.

"Not gonna cry...not gonna cry..." she said to herself.

Madeline took a step back and began to examine her daughter. "How are you feeling? Have you been eating well? Have you been resting properly? I know how busy you get. I don't want you overworking yourself!" she doted, letting her motherly instincts take over.

"Mother, I am fine! You do not have to worry." Octavia blushed at all the attention. She could hear Vinyl snickering in the background. Vinyl will pay DEARLY for laughing at me... she grumbled internally.

"Look at you, Octavia...you've grown so much. You have become such a beautiful, responsible mare, and all on your own." Madeline praised, planting a small kiss on her forehead. "I am so proud of you."

"Thank you, Mother..." Octavia smiled, gently nuzzling her in return for the kiss.

After a few minutes, Madeline noticed Vinyl. "Oh, I am sorry, may I ask who you are?"

"Oh, I'm Octy's ma-" Vinyl was cut short as Octavia rushed up to her and practically forced her hoof down her throat.

"She is just a friend, Mother. I will be just a moment. Would you please tell Papa I am home?" Octavia smiled, doing a terrible job of trying to act normal.

"Of course, dear." Madeline said, a bit confused and somewhat suspicious. She is DEFINITELY hiding something from me...

"Vinyl, please do not mention anything about us being a couple- at least not yet!" Octavia said, looking somewhat panicked.

"What? Why?" Vinyl questioned. A moment later, it dawned on her. "They don't know, do they!? We've been dating for over seven months, and you STILL haven't told them!?" she yelled, visibly upset and quite hurt.

"Vinyl, I apologize and I mean that wholeheartedly! I just wanted to tell them myself, honest!" she claimed. Vinyl searched her eyes for even the slightest sign that she might be lying, but couldn't find anything.

"Fine...they're gonna find out anyway." Vinyl said, still not happy with the idea.

"Thank you, Vinyl...I will definitely make it up to you." Octavia leaned forward and whispered in her ear. "Definitely..." She then turned and winked, running her tail up her neck and off her tail as she headed into her house.

Octy, you have NO idea what you've got coming... Vinyl grinned, following her inside. From the moment Vinyl set hoof in Octavia's home, she felt right at home. It was small, but still seemed spacey enough to move comfortably. Pictures covered the walls of the living room, the smells of scented candles gently wafting through the house. "I love this place...I kinda wish I'd grown up here..." she said to herself as she examined all the pictures.

One picture she found of Octavia made her smile: It was a picture of Octavia's father giving her a bath as a foal, but she was putting up quite the struggle. Her father was laughing as Octavia planted a hoof on his cheek, fighting to stay out of the water. "Adorable..." she said softly.

"Aye, she was." A male voice said from behind her, Vinyl nearly hitting the ceiling from jumping in surprise. Kester watched her sail upward, and laughed when she came back down. "Sorry, lass. A' didn't mean ta' scare ye," he said. When she turned to face him, she realized just how big a stallion he was. He stood nearly a foot taller than her, and everywhere she looked at him was brimming with muscle.

"Uh...hi." Vinyl squeaked.

"A pleasure ta' meet ye, lass. A'm Kester, Octavia's father. Yer the friend Maddy mentioned, right?" he asked, extending a giant gold hoof for her to shake.

"Uh...yeah, I am..." she swallowed, timidly extending a hoof.

"No need ta' be scared o' me, lass. A' don't bite." he said, giving a diffusing grin, Vinyl letting out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. "So how long have ye been friends with 'er?" he asked.

"Oh, um...I'd say around close to a year or so." Vinyl said, relaxing somewhat.

"Well tha's nice. Are ye two datin'?" he asked bluntly, to which Vinyl felt a chill run up her spine.

"H-How did you find out!?" Vinyl asked, frantic.

"Ye just told me," he laughed.

Vinyl face-hoofed. "Octy's gonna kill me..."

"Don't worry about 'er. A'll deal with 'er when the time comes," he winked. Vinyl gave a wry grin, and nodded.

"Well played, sir. Well played...wait, you don't have a problem with it?" she asked.

"Well, A' can't say A' understand, and A' know it's all the rage with ye kids nowadays, but hey. If ma' baby is happy, A'm happy...so long as ye keep her happy, understood?" Kester said, raising an eyebrow.

"No need to worry. I got this," she grinned.

"Tha's what I like to hear."

~Elsewhere~

Octavia sat in the dining room, watching Madeline work in the kitchen, chatting about life.

"So Octavia, how long have you known Vinyl?" Madeline asked as she set out several cups of tea.

"Around a year. Why do you ask?" Octavia said.

"Oh, how nice. I would imagine you two are close." Madeline continued, pressing for information. "Tell me a little bit about her."

"Well, she is crude, loud, and very boorish...but she has a good heart, genuinely cares for others, and is a loyal friend," she smiled.

"I see...so then why were you so eager to shush her earlier?" Madeline said, turning and facing her. "I'm your mother, there's nothing you can hide from me."

Octavia blushed, and sighed. "...She...she's my marefriend..." Madeline chuckled and brushed a bit of her daughter's hair out of her face.

"Did you think I would be upset? I'm glad you were able to find somepony special...even if the description reminds me of your father." Madeline said. At that moment, both Kester and Vinyl walked in, laughing about a joke he had just told her.

"Ahhh, that was a good one! Octy was telling me before about how your wife walked in on you with your gear on display!" Madeline turned a bright shade of red.

"YOU TOLD VINYL THAT STORY!?" Madeline said, covering her face with her hooves. "How embarrassing!"

"I did not tell her anything other than that! I would never repeat that!" Octavia pleaded.

"Wha', all it ended up being was a quickie. Wha's wrong with tha'?" Kester said, raising an eyebrow. A moment later, Madeline was bearing down on him faster than he could respond.

"I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU REPEATED THAT! I THOUGHT WE SWORE WE WOULD NEVER TALK ABOUT THAT!" Madeline yelled. Vinyl laughed, Octavia blushing wildly.

"So you WERE hiding something good!" Vinyl yelled, half-laughing.

"They never told me that part!" Octavia yelled back, completely embarrassed. "LOOK! Papa, Mother, Vinyl and I have an announcement to make..." she yelled, grabbing their attention. Vinyl took a seat next to Octavia, Kester and Maddy sitting across from them. Octavia wrapped a foreleg around Vinyl's for support. "Mother...Papa...Vinyl and I have been dating for the past six months...and..." She took a deep breath, and dropped the bomb.

"We are having a baby."

PreviousChapters Next