• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,605 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,605

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Seventeen

Twilight and Vinyl sat on one side of the table, talking to Octavia in an attempt to dig up the conflict.

"Would you mind telling me, Octavia? I would really like to try and help you fix whatever happened between you and Lyra." Twilight offered, concerned for both of her friends.

"I...I am not certain I want to relive this..." Octavia said anxiously.

"Yeah, it's time we shed some light on this, Octy." Vinyl said. She then turned to Twilight. "You wanna be good cop or should I be? I kinda wanna play bad cop."

"That's not really necessary, Vinyl." Twilight chuckled. "We're here to help her, not interrogate her."

"I dunno, interrogating her sounds pretty fun if you ask me." Vinyl said, folding her forelegs over her chest.

"Come on, Octavia. We're not going to laugh at you, or make fun of you for whatever might have happened." Twilight reassured.

"No promises, Twi." Vinyl said with a smirk.

"Well, I won't laugh at you." Twilight promised.

Octavia sighed. "...Alright...if you must know, it happened at my school's performance at the Winter Moon Festival. I will never forget that night as long as I live..." She let out a deep sigh, and continued.

"I was playing lead cello in the string section, and all was going well. The music was beautiful, the sky was clear, the stars were shining and the moon was full. Truly a perfect night for such beautiful music. It was then that I looked down and read the next measure that I noticed something wrong...the notes were not quite like I remembered. Thinking that it was just my imagination, I continued playing...only to notice that the entire orchestra was being thrown off. By me. Somepony had switched my sheet music, and I did not realize it until far too late. The entire orchestra was stopped because of my off-key playing."

Octavia took a shuddering breath, and continued.

"Naturally, the piece had become such a train-wreck that the audience began to laugh...they thought that my blunder was the biggest comedy act they had ever seen...at that point, I was too overwhelmingly embarrassed to continue, and rushed off-stage in tears."

Both Vinyl and Twilight were intently listening. "I'm sorry that happened to you, Octavia...it must have been very difficult to deal with." Twilight soothed. Octavia nodded in agreement.

"Oh, the worst is yet to come." She said, her voice changing from one of sadness, to one of anger. "After having cried for upwards of a half-hour, I eventually decided to go back out on-stage and collect my things...when I heard her talking. I heard Lyra talking to another band-member, and what I heard has me convinced that she was the one who did it to me."

"What did she say, Octavia?" Twilight asked. Vinyl leaned in slightly, curious to hear herself.

"These were her exact words." Octavia said. "......Ugh, that was quite possibly the worst performance ever. I've never been so embarrassed to perform next to another pony in my life! I mean, to play that badly? It's almost a crime...and to think it was just a prank. I've never seen somepony run off-stage so fast..." She said, imitating Lyra's voice. "Then, she started laughing. I knew then that I had to get revenge...so I did."

"Okay, NOW this is getting good. How'd you get back at her, Octy?" Vinyl asked.

"Simple. At our next performance, I may or may not have stomped her tail with my right rear hoof. It scared her so badly that she shot her lyre into the ceiling...mid-performance." She smirked.

"Atta girl! That's my Octy!" Vinyl grinned, proud of her marefriend.

Twilight looked puzzled. "That doesn't sound like the Lyra I know...I want her side of the story."

"Can we do that AFTER we eat? I never got to finish those pancakes..." Vinyl said, holding her stomach. "...I wonder if there are any left..."

Octavia face-hoofed for what appeared to be the tenth time today. "I am certain they threw the pancakes out, Vinyl."

"What!? It should be ILLEGAL to throw out food that good." Vinyl grumbled.

The three walked up to the counter, a blue mare with a pink mane stepping out from a doorway behind it. "Oh! Good morning, girls! Is there something I can get you?"

"Morning, Mrs. Cake. I just want a danish." Twilight said.

"Got any pound cake?" Vinyl asked.

"I will have a chausson aux pommes with a cup of black coffee, no cream or sugar, just straight black." Octavia requested. Vinyl and Twilight looked at her like she had just grown a second head.

"Coming right up!" Mrs. Cake said, getting right to work. Suddenly, the door burst open again, and three young fillies barged in, talking over one another.

"MRS. CAKE! We're here ta help ya prepare the food for the party tonight!" The yellow filly with the bow said.

"Maybe that'll help us get our food-preparation cutie marks!" The unicorn filly yelled in excitement.

"Or maybe our wild-party cutie marks!" The little orange pegasus said, even more excited.

"O-Oh my...did Pinkie send you all to help me?" Mrs. Cake asked.

"YEP!" The three answered in unison.

"Oh...bless her little heart." Mrs. Cake said with a smile, though she said it through gritted teeth. Twilight stepped forward.

"Now girls, you have to pay attention to everything Mrs. Cake tells you, understood? A good student always listens to her teacher." She instructed, knowing just what the three were capable of.

"Yes, Twilight. We'll behave." The three said, halos appearing over their heads.

Octavia looked at the three, and could feel the mischievous intent radiating off them. Celestia help me if my child has a personality like one of them... She thought.

"Well girls, I have an order to fill for Twilight and her friends, so just wait right there while I finish this, then we can get to work on preparing for the party." Mrs. Cake said, getting back to the task at hoof.

The three fillies then turned to Octavia and Vinyl.

"Big Sis said that Miss Octavia would be with Twi, so which one a' you two is Miss Octavia?" The yellow filly asked.

Vinyl pointed to Octavia. "That'd be her." Octavia blinked in confusion.

"Well then, don't worry, Miss Octavia! We're gonna throw ya the best party ever! Ah'm Apple Bloom by the way, Applejack's little sister." The yellow filly said.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Apple Bloom. Be sure to thank your sister for being so kind to us for me." Octavia said, breathing a small sigh of relief.

"No problem, Miss Octavia. Big Sis is awesome like that." Apple Bloom said proudly.

"I'm Sweetie Belle, Rarity's little sister. Big Sister really likes your music, so she was shocked to see you earlier. She wanted me to apologize for her fainting like that." The unicorn said. "Is it true you're having a baby?" She asked, her eyes lighting up.

"Yes it is, Sweetie Belle. I will be a mother by this time next year." Octavia smiled.

"I wonder what the baby will be like? Maybe a filly? I hope it is! Maybe we can play together." Sweetie Belle chattered in excitement.

"You know, if you ever need a baby-sitter, you can always call us! We can teach it tricks and stunts and a bunch of other cool stuff! Oh, I'm Scootaloo by the way." The orange pegasus grinned.

"Well, it is wonderful to meet you all. I trust you will all behave for Mrs. Cake?" Octavia said.

"Yep! We want this party to be the best one ever! Hopefully it'll get us our cutie marks!" Sweetie Belle said.

Scootaloo then took a better look at Vinyl, and her eyes grew to the size of saucers. "OHMYGOSH! You're DJ PON-3! Dash talks about you ALL THE TIME! I'm Dash's biggest fan, and she's your biggest fan, so that makes me your second-biggest fan!" She squealed.

Vinyl chuckled. "Well, lookie here. Another fan, Octy. Of my music. Not yours." She gloated.

"Nopony likes a gloater, Vinyl." Octavia said.

"M-Maybe I can get a musical cutie-mark! No wait, I want a cutie mark like Dash's..." Scootaloo said to herself, suddenly becoming confused as to who to follow.

"Why are you so eager to get-" Octavia caught motion out of the corner of her eye. She looked up to see Mrs. Cake gesturing "cut-it-out" with her hoof with a wide-eyed expression.

"-get-get started with your work with Mrs. Cake? Why not go find somepony else who needs help in the meantime? Perhaps you can get your cutie marks that way." Octavia suggested.

"That's not a bad idea, Miss Octavia. We'll be back, Mrs. Cake!" Apple Bloom said, the three rushing back out the door.

Octavia let out an explosive sigh. "That was exhausting."

Twilight nodded. "Tell me about it."

Vinyl laughed. "I hope our kid comes out like them." Vinyl received a well-deserved smack to the back of the head from Octavia.

"Sorry about the delay girls, here's your meal. Free of charge." Mrs. Cake winked at Octavia.

"Thank you Mrs. Cake. You are too kind." Octavia said with a smile. The three ate their food quickly, enjoying every bite.

"Alright. Let's head over to Lyra's and get this taken care of." Twilight said, not willing to let this pass. "I don't like seeing friends fight, and Celestia help me if I'm just gonna stand by and not do anything." She said.

"If you insist, Twilight...I do not see what this will accomplish." Octavia muttered.

"C'mon, Octy. It'll be fine. I'm sure she's not the three-headed, moronic pig-demon you've called her so many times at home." Vinyl said.

"...I can not believe you just repeated that." Octavia said flatly.

"ONWARD AND FORWARD, MY DEAR PONIES!" Vinyl said, hurrying out the door.

Twilight blinked in surprise, Octavia shaking her head. "You see what I put up with? Why I ever ended up with her, will forever elude me..." She said, trotting out the door.

Twilight chuckled somewhat. She followed Octavia out, shut the door behind them, and began to make their way towards Lyra's home.

PreviousChapters Next