• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,591 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,591

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Fourteen

The trio continued to trot towards Fluttershy's cottage, when Vinyl spoke up.

"Are we almost there?" Vinyl asked, bored. "I wanna see the animals already!"

"Ugh, you really have the propensity to be such a child, Vinyl. We will see the animals soon enough!" Octavia said, shaking her head.

Applejack chuckled. "Ah never woulda taken you fer such an animal-lover, Vinyl." She commented. "Y'all seem to be the rough-and-tough type'a pony like mahself, but then again, Ah like animals, too."

"I grew up with a bunch of animals back home. I had dogs, cats, birds, the entire collection of household pets as a filly."

"Well, then I suppose I might have been a little rash in chastising you, Vinyl." Octavia said.

"Yes, Octy. Yes you have. I'd like an apology."

"No." Octavia responded flatly.

"But you just said you were wrong." Vinyl said, confused.

"Just because I say something, does not mean I entirely agree with or accept it." Octavia said with a smirk.

"Eh, fair enough." Vinyl shrugged.

Applejack laughed. "Ah hafta admit, watchin y'all argue is mighty entertainin'. Just goes ta show that y'all're made fer one another. Heck, Dashie and Ah still argue, even though we're close friends. Ah just felt that a little competition never hurt nopony." As she spoke, a rainbow-colored streak soared overhead, high up in the distance.

"There she goes...her head's always in the clouds. Ah can't help but worry about her sometimes, though. Not much common sense in that pony."

"Huh...where have I heard that before?" Octavia said sarcastically, looking at Vinyl.

"Welp, here we are. Fluttershy's cottage." Applejack stated.

The three ponies neared the cottage, a butter-yellow pegasus with a pink mane and three butterflies for a cutie mark sitting on her front lawn feeding some of the younger bunnies and birds.

"There we go, little ones...eat up all your food and you'll grow up big and strong." She cooed, smiling as she watched the animals eat.

"I dunno what's cuter...her or the animals." Vinyl said, watching the scene unfold as more birds came to join Fluttershy on the ground, some perching on her head and others on her back.

Fluttershy giggled slightly. "That tickles! You all must be hungry too. I'll go get more food." When she stood up, she noticed Applejack coming towards her home, with two strange ponies in tow.

"Oh no...Pinkie is still here..." She murmured, trying to act natural as Applejack approached.

"Hey 'Shy. How're you doin' this mornin'?" Applejack asked.

"Um...I'm fine, Applejack...but...um...who...who are your friends?" Fluttershy asked softly, edging away from Vinyl and Octavia. The pair introduced themselves.

"My name is Octavia." She gave a small smile and a polite bow.

"And I'm Vinyl, Octy's sexier and better half." She waved at Fluttershy, grinning from ear to ear as Octavia's hoof smacked her upside the head. "Totally worth it."

"They're stayin' in Ponyville for a couple days on their trip to Hoofington." Applejack said. "Hey...by any chance, have ya seen Pinkie? Ah've got a right big bone ta pick with her."

Fluttershy seized up at the mention of Pinkie. "Um...I...um...haven't seen Pinkie this morning...I don't know where she could be...d-did you check Sugarcube Corner?" She stuttered, trying her best to cover up for the pink pony that was currently hiding in her house. Unfortunately for Fluttershy, Applejack didn't buy it in the slightest.

"...'Shy, Ah can tell yer lyin'. Ah AM the Element of Honesty after all. Now, Ah understand Pinkie probably put ya up to this, but she stole somethin' from me. Is she hidin' in yer house?" Applejack asked. Fluttershy started to shake her head, but shrunk and gave a small squeak from fear when Applejack stomped her hoof forcefully.

"C'mon, Fluttershy! She did somethin' wrong, and ya can't go protectin' her for it!"

Fluttershy began to whimper and tear up, and simply pointed at her front door. "I'm sorry Pinkie..." She whimpered, beginning to cry. A moment later, a pink blur shot out of the open door.

"YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, APPLEJACK!" Pinkie yelled as she rocketed past them.

"Y'ALL GIT BACK HERE RIGHT THIS INSTANT, PINKIE!" Applejack yelled, charging after her, leaving Octavia and Vinyl with a crying Fluttershy.

"Aw, geeze...I'm not really good at dealing with this-" Vinyl started, but fell silent as Octavia pushed past her and moved up close to Fluttershy.

"There, there Fluttershy...there is no need for tears." Octavia soothed, gently running a hoof up and down her back. When Vinyl looked at her confused, Octavia shrugged. "Just take a deep breath and relax...I am sure Applejack is not upset with Pinkie, she just wants to talk to Pinkie about what she stole." Octavia said softly, trying to calm her down. After a few minutes, Fluttershy wiped her eyes.

"I'm so sorry you had to see me like this...I just get scared very easily..." Fluttershy sniffled, her voice almost a whisper.

"It is quite alright, Fluttershy. I used to be very timid when I was little, so I understand how you feel...now, is it alright if we enter your home? We have something we would like to discuss with you." Octavia asked, Vinyl nodding in agreement.

"Um...okay." She said softly. The three walked into Fluttershy's cottage, Octavia immediately falling in love with the little home. While it wasn't very big, it seemed very comfortable and welcoming. The three sat at her kitchen table.

"W-Would you like something to drink?" Fluttershy offered.

"That would be lovely, thank you." Octavia accepted. Vinyl shook her head.

Fluttershy went and retrieved a bottle of milk and placed it on her kitchen counter and poured it out into two small cups. She reached over and grabbed one of the bottles, labeled "HONEY" on the front. She placed one drop of honey in each of the glasses, and stirred them with a spoon. She then brought both cups over, placing one in front of Octavia and placing the other in her spot.

Octavia took a drink, and felt her entire body relax. The smooth texture of the milk as well as the sweetness of the honey did wonders for her.

"This is absolutely wonderful, Fluttershy. I would have never thought to put milk and honey together." Octavia praised.

"Oh...um...I usually do that when bear cubs won't drink their milk...they usually run me dry when they try it for the first time." Fluttershy said softly, hiding behind her mane somewhat.

"Um...what did you want to talk to me about?" Fluttershy asked quietly, a bit nervous.

"Well, Applejack tells us your special talent is caring for animals. Is that correct?" Octavia asked. When she received a small nod as a response, she continued. "Well...I would imagine that also includes helping pregnant mothers give birth, right?"

Again, another small nod. Octavia then blushed. "Well...then I was wondering if...you would be willing to help me give birth to my own foal..." She said softly.

Fluttershy's eyes widened and she began to smile. "Oh my yes, I would love to help. I've helped all sorts of animals bring their babies into the world, and I'd be more than happy to help you." She said with the kindest smile she could muster. "When are you due?" She asked.

"Sometime next September." Octavia said, returning the smile. "Thank you, Fluttershy. You have no idea what a relief this is."

"Nurturing life is my calling...so helping bring a foal into the world means just as much to me as helping a mother bear give birth to her cubs, even if it isn't nearly as dangerous." Fluttershy giggled sweetly. Vinyl wasn't sure if she was going to keel over from how cute Fluttershy was being.

"Any more of this and I think my pancreas might just try to run away..." Vinyl said, to which Octavia jabbed her in the side.

"Also, do you know when Twilight gets up? We have a few questions to ask her." Octavia asked, curious to know.

"Well, um...she used to be up fairly early...but ever since Trixie moved in with her, she sleeps in pretty late." Fluttershy answered truthfully. "Um...I can take you to see Twilight...um...if that's alright with you..." She said timidly.

"Of course we would, Fluttershy. Thank you for taking the time to help us." Octavia said, gesturing at Vinyl to thank her as well.

"Yeah, thanks 'Shy. You're pretty cool." Vinyl raised her hoof for a high-hoof, but raised an eyebrow when Fluttershy returned it so softly she barely felt it. "Eh...I guess that counts."

Fluttershy then walked over to a small rabbit who had been listening in on the conversation. "Angel bunny, I need you to keep an eye on the animals while I'm gone, okay?"

The rabbit acknowledged, folding his arms over his chest. He then tapped his wrist as if to remind her to keep an eye on the time. "I know Angel, I'll be back in time to give you your lunch." Fluttershy said sweetly. Angel smiled, hugged her right foreleg, and hurried off to complete his tasks.

With that taken care of, the three left for Ponyville Library.

PreviousChapters Next