• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 36,614 Views, 5,030 Comments

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd - Lithe Kamitatsy



One night of fun for a certain musical pair will leave their lives upside down.

  • ...
74
 5,030
 36,614

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty

The night came and went, and beautiful memories were made. Octavia had never felt more welcomed in her life- which made leaving the following morning that much harder. The pair sat on the bed they had shared for the last two nights, thinking about the future.

"...It is going to be very difficult saying goodbye." Octavia murmured, breaking the silence.

"Yeah...it's gonna be tough. This place is great, and it feels like we just got here and we're leaving, you know?" Vinyl returned.

"I understand completely, Vinyl...we have made such wonderful friends while we were here, it is very painful to just up and leave..." she sighed, unable to shake the heavy weight on her heart. That is, until an idea blossomed in her head.

"Unless..." Octavia shot out of bed, heading for the door.

"Where ya going Octy?" Vinyl asked, following her out.

"The Mayor's office...I have a couple questions to ask her." she smiled, scolding herself internally for not having come up with this solution earlier.

~Later~

"Okay Miss Philharmonica, just sign along this line here and it's all yours." The mayor instructed. Octavia did as she was told, setting the pen down with a smile.

"Alright! Everything's been taken care of. I'll expect a payment later on?"

"Absolutely, Miss Mayor. Thank you for everything." Octavia said, shaking her hoof. She stood up and exited the mayor's office, finding Vinyl sitting in the waiting area near the receptionist's desk reading a magazine. Vinyl looked up as she heard Octavia approach.

"Everything go alright?" she asked.

"Swimmingly, Vinyl." Octavia smiled, walking out of City Hall with Vinyl at her side.

"So what did you want to talk to the mayor about?" Vinyl asked, having been kept in the dark the entire way.

"Oh, nothing too major...only we are now official citizens of Ponyville." Octavia said, dropping the bomb.

It took a moment to sink in, but when it did, the reaction was explosive. "WHAT?! OCTY-" Vinyl yelled in surprise.

"Now, before you go and yell at me for making a rash decision without consulting you, think of the positives. One, it would equal out the distance between our parents, our foal's grandparents; that way, neither set feels left out. Two, the atmosphere here is PERFECT for a growing foal- there is no worry of violence or anything of the sort. Three, do you really want to leave all the friends we have made here behind? I cannot bring myself to do such a thing, and-" Octavia was silenced when Vinyl pressed her muzzle against her own, stopping both her speech and thought processes.

"...Octy, I'm not mad. I'm just unbelievably happy we're doing this." Vinyl smiled. "This place IS perfect for our kid, and I'd rather live here than in Canterlot. Can't do anything in that place..." she muttered.

"Vinyl, peeing in a public park and claiming to the Guard that you "could not hold it anymore" does not fall under the category of anything." she remarked.

"Hey, it was stop in a park, or go as I walked. Their choice." Vinyl said indignantly.

"Anyway...I cannot wait to share the news. We will go back to Canterlot to gather our things, then move into our new home." Octavia said cheerily, a small bounce in her trot.

"Sounds good! We'll tell the landlord we're moving out, throw the keys in his dumb face, maybe kick him in the gut a few times, and make a break for it." she giggled maliciously. When she garnered no response, she turned to face Octavia, who had an expression that read: "And yet you wonder why you have been arrested." Vinyl raised and eyebrow, and turned away. "Whatever. I still think the idiot deserves it." she muttered under her breath. "Probably still mad at me for blowing out that wall..."

"We can talk about this later, Vinyl. Remember we have to meet with Twilight and the others for lunch before we leave." she reminded, beginning to make her way towards a small diner near Sugarcube Corner.

"Oh, right!"

The pair arrived at the diner, where the rest of the group had just sat down to eat. Twilight waved them over, and they took their seats at the round table, sitting next to Applejack and Rarity.

"Soooo?! Did you enjoy the super-duper-huge party I threw last night!? I had a BLAST! That had to be the bestest Pinkie Pie Party EVER!" Pinkie yelled, throwing her hooves in the air.

"You know it, Pinkie! How'd you manage to get Andrew W Neigh to show up?" Vinyl asked.

"Oh, it was easy! I said I'd pay him in food, and he was more than happy to do it!" Pinkie grinned.

"I must say, Octavia. You looked absolutely smashing in that dress I made for you, last night. It even withstood the constant movement of the crowd around you without ripping or tearing. I am definitely investing in this maternity line, and you'll be happy to know you were the one who inspired it." Rarity winked.

"All Ah know, is Andrew W Neigh can rock! Ah thought his head was gonna pop clean off he was head-bangin' so hard. Ah may look into buyin' a couple a' his records." Applejack commented.

"It was...nice...loud, but nice." Fluttershy said softly.

"I still can't believe I got to go up and shake Andrew's hoof! He has to be my FAVORITE artist-" Rainbow Dash stopped mid-sentence when she received a scowl from Vinyl. "-I mean, aside from YOU, of course." she chuckled sheepishly.

"Relax, Dash. I'm just messin' with ya." Vinyl laughed as Rainbow Dash blushed in embarrassment.

"Yeah...ya got me." Dash laughed, scratching the back of her head with a hoof.

"It's been great having you two in town the couple days." Twilight said with a smile. "Any idea when you'll be back?"

"How funny of you to mention that, Twilight...as it turns out, we just came from City Hall- we're now officially residents of Ponyville!" Octavia was positively beaming as she relayed the news. "Vinyl and I came to the conclusion that we've really fallen in love with this town, and would prefer to have our baby grow up here." A moment later, other patrons of the diner turned their heads at the sound of loud screaming and cheering at the news.

"Oh this is WONDERFUL, dear! I can continue to use you as a model for my new clothing line!" Rarity exclaimed, stars in her eyes.

"I can help keep your kid in shape." Dash said, puffing out her chest. "I'm called the "Best Young Flier" for a reason." She then turned to Vinyl. "Maybe I can be your roadie! Oh WOW that'd be awesome!"

"You're telling me! Best Flier in Equestria, with the Best DJ in Equestria? We'd be UNSTOPPABLE!" Vinyl yelled, shooting a hoof in the air in a dramatic pose.

"Um...if you want...maybe I can teach the baby how to take care of animals..." Fluttershy offered.

"If'n ya'll ever need anythin', don't hesitate to stop by Sweet Apple Acres. Ah'd be more than happy ta help ya out." Applejack said.

"I'll be more than happy to help teach it how to read. Celestia knows I've got enough books to last out the end of the world." Twilight giggled.

"Thank you so much everyone, you have no idea what this means to us." Octavia smiled.

The waiter came and took their orders, the group eating and laughing together before they separated. They paid for their meals, and made their way towards the main road.

"Take care you two." Twilight said sadly.

"We'll be back soon enough, I promise." Octavia said, feeling her heart aching at having to leave her new friends behind.

"C'mon Octy...I'm not good with goodbyes..." Vinyl said, turning away from the group.

"You're not leaving until I've said my piece!" another voice called out To everyone's surprise, Lyra and Bonbon trotted up to them.

"We heard the news...you bought the house next to ours." Lyra said, her expression stoic.

"I'm absolutely overjoyed that you two have made the decision to live in Ponyville...I can't wait to see what your baby looks like." She giggled. She then trotted up to Vinyl. "Take care, Vinyl. You take care of Octavia, you hear me?" Bonbon said, giving her a hug.

"Yeah, we'll be back soon." Vinyl said, her voice cracking slightly.

Lyra looked at Octavia and sighed. "So we're neighbors now...a few days ago, I would have tried to set fire to the house you're moving into at the first chance I got, but now?" Lyra chuckled softly. "All I have to say is...stay safe, alright?" she smiled, leaning over and hugging Octavia. "Welcome to the family, neighbor."

Bonbon squeaked and began to cry, touched by the scene.

Octavia felt tears well in her eyes as she returned the embrace. "I will Lyra...thank you."

With heavy hearts, the pair entered the carriage. The group waved them off, and they set off for Hoovington.

PreviousChapters Next