• Published 12th Aug 2014
  • 749 Views, 26 Comments

Skyborn - That Avi Nerd



A disease has spread throughout the world, effectively eliminating most of its population. The Navis Project was created to give the surviving ponies a chance; a home in the skies. One ambitious pegasus saw it differently.

  • ...
2
 26
 749

Mutiny

"Osiris..." The pony's voice was soft and raspy. "Please, your formalities are not necessary. But I appreciate it..." Her purple eyes fell on Aurora. "Skyborn..." Her head perked up with reserved strength that strained her to a soft coughing fit.

Aurora could help but gape at the regal mare. Despite having never met her before in her life, she knew exactly who laid on the rock platform in front of her. She was double the height of anypony she had ever met. Her mane was an ethereal mix of purples in pinks that twinkled in the crystalline light of the cavern. Her coat was a faded lavender, sun bleached and worn with time. Unlike all the ponies she had met in the castle who were earth ponies, this mare had a horn. It was significantly longer than those of her unicorn friends on Navis, however. Most notably, she had wings. Wings far larger and far fuller than her own. But the feathers seemed dry, weak from lack of use. It could have been years since they were last preened. On her flank, she bore a cutie mark with a six pointed star of reddish purple, surrounded by five smaller white stars. Aurora's mouth twitched as she struggled for words. She was face to face with an alicorn. And the Princess of Magic at that.

"You're..." she stumbled out.

"An alicorn?" The princess finished for the pegasus.

"Princess Twilight Sparkle..."

Aurora fell to a bow as a smile grew on Princess Twilight's face. She slowly rose to unsteady hooves, her soft hoof-falls echoed through the cavern as she approached. A gentle hoof pressed against the bottom of Aurora's jaw. It pulled her head and posture up to the Alicorn, who had bent her head down so that it was level with the pegasus'.

"Please do not be so formal with me," requested the princess. "I'm but an old mare now."

"But how..." Even this close to her, even feeling her presence and fur it was impossible to imagine the reality of the alicorn in front of her. "The virus, it killed everything! The Alicorns! Equestria! The world!"

Princess Twilight's head deflated with a sigh, her gaze turning to the ground off to the side. "Sometime's I wish it had taken me as well. I've had to bear to see all I've known and loved be taken from me. My family, my friends..." Her eyes made their way to Osiris. "It's these ponies, and the hope they brought me when they found me here that's kept me well."

Osiris stepped up. "My ancestors were residents of Ponyville," she told. "One was even the mayor while Her Highness lived there. During the outbreak, they sought the help of a zebra who lived in the woods here. It was unfortunate, but she couldn't take the whole town. There simply isn't enough resources here to sustain a town's worth. She created a material that turns green when it comes in contact with the virus, and taught them how to make it. It's what we use today still. Beyond that, she couldn't help much. Our ancestors moved on to the castle of the Royal Sisters to seek knowledge to defeat it. They never found anything... But the virus has never found us, either." Her eyes closed. "Generation after generation a select and brave few venture outside the forest to tell of what is happening to the world. But once they leave they do so knowing they may never return, for they would carry the virus with them."

"The ponies I ran across on the mountains," Aurora thought back. "They had this paste on them as well. It was still blue! Maybe the virus died out?"

"They're lucky so far then. We sent them to the mountain to see the world around us, and to pass along the information. The virus can't live in the cold, as I'm sure you're well aware..." Aurora could taste the disdain. "It is unlikely however they would survive the return trip. But we can hope, and pray."

"A group came to explore the ravine and discovered the cave," Princess Twilight continued, walking back to her crystalline tree. "They're who discovered me here with the Tree of Harmony." Aurora cocked her head slightly. "It's what gave Princess Celestia and Luna the Elements of Harmony to defeat Discord. What defeated Night Mare Moon. What saved Equestria over and over."

"Why didn't it stop the virus?" Aurora wondered. It was a question that was asked over and over in school, but never properly answered other than the usual 'We don't know.'

"The virus targeted magic itself. It fed off of it. It drained us. It's why there are no more pegasi or unicorns, why earth ponies lost their powers. We tried to use the Elements on all of Equestria but it only made it stronger..." Her head and eyes turned away from the other two, her words became broken and whispered. "My friends were among the first in Equestria. It was a miracle I even survived, even today I don't know why. But with their deaths' we lost the Elements, and the hope for Equestria.

"Princess Celestia told me to take the Elements here and return them to the tree, that one day they may choose new bearers. I stayed in the hopes of meeting them, and helping them. For years I stayed here alone with only the tree's light to accompany me until I was found."

"That sounds horrible..." Aurora said.

"All I can do is keep waiting." The princess used her magic on the tree, resulting in a flash of blue and white light. The ends of the branches opened up to reveal five different colored crystals while the center of the tree revealed a crystal that looked like Twilight's cutie mark. Aurora noted how the room seemed to pulse with energy. The roots themselves seemed to glow a dim blue. Though the one nearest to her was brighter than the others.

The energy flowing through it brought it to life. It slithered and snaked slowly towards the pegasus. Curiosity kept her still. The crystalline tendril wrapped gently around her hoof once instantly turning to a glowing white. A shock of energy sent its way through Aurora's body, perking up her head and wings, tracing chills down her spine. She let out a pleasant gasp. It wasn't pain she was in, rather a warm and comforting embrace reminiscent to her mother's. Osiris looked on at the mare as her eyes turned to the same glowing white, her pupils washed out by the brightness. The same appeared to be happening to Princess Twilight at the base of the tree.

As quickly as it happened the phenomenon ceased. The glowing dissipated, the roots returned to their original places and the two ponies were released from their trances. Aurora's stance drooped slightly while Princess Twilight collapsed to the floor. Within seconds Osiris was by the royal Alicorn's side, Aurora stumbling towards them.

"Princess," Osiris panted, "are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she groaned, slipping from Osiris' help and returning to her hooves under her own power. Her eyes locked with that of Aurora's.

"What..." The pegasus voice faltered. "What was that? It... it felt amazing! I saw so many things; a new world!"

"That was Equestria. The old Equestria before this cursed virus. As for what you felt, that was the most important part. That was the magic lost long ago."

"I don't understand..." Osiris confessed.

There was a never-before-seen smile to Princess Twilight. "The virus feeds on our magic. So does the Tree of Harmony..." The group looked back to it. It still had a slight glow to it, though not nearly as intensely as before. Within minutes it would fade away completely. "I thought before that it was just the Everfree forest's different magic that kept the virus out."

"But there's places in the forest that are still infected! And it only seems to be gaining ground, slowly."

"Exactly. It isn't the Everfree's magic that's stopping the virus. It's the tree. Our magic. Osiris, quickly, get everypony down here."

"At once your highness!" She bowed and took her leave with haste.

After a pause, the princess turned towards the pegasus. "Thank you, I feel like you may have helped save the world. What is your name, by the way?"

"I'm Aurora Light, your highness."

"Aurora... Well, Aurora, I'm Twilight."

When Rose opened her eyes the next morning she was greeted by a warm and blinding light that washed out the rest of the world. She raised a pink hoof with difficulties to shade herself. The light game from a slat of glass near the high ceiling, assuredly out of reach for her. The walls of the room were decorated by a gray paint that matched the hard floor. A simple green cot was placed against the wall with the small window. On the adjacent wall was a water fountain, and on the other side a crude rest room area. Opposite of the cot were black iron bars that stretched from floor to ceiling. The middle section of the bars were offset slightly and followed along a track. It had a lock that connected it to the rest of the bars and held it securely in place.

In the apparent prison cell across from her she could see Buck laying on the cot. A bubble of saliva stuck to his mouth, expanding and contracting with every snore. His eyes were motionless and his legs and arms were sprawled about. There wasn't any sign of Storm, however. She resevered the thought he may be in a cell parallel to hers. The thought slowly sank in. She was in a prison cell of some sort. More importantly, they had been betrayed.

"Psst!" she hissed. Approaching the bars she could see that she was in the middle cell of six, with three cells on each side of a small walkway. On either side were locked doors but no signs of guards. "Psst!" She glared at Buck in the hopes of it helping to wake him. When the stallion rolled away from her, she deflated. Staring at the lock in front of her another idea came to mind.

She closed her eyes and concentrated. Envisioning the lock in front of her and all its intricacies she attempted to use her magic to force it open. A wisp of pink magic flowed from the tip of her horn inside the metal construct, feeling around for a way to unlock it. It seem enchanted in of itself however. Whenever her magic examined one side for a solution, it changed itself. The lock was fighting against her magic actively.

"Unicorns..." she sighed. Though she hadn't given up yet. She still had one more idea that Buck might have appreciated. She stood on all four hooves and turned around. Putting her weight on her front hooves she raised her hind legs and kicked back as hard as she could, aiming for the keyhole of the lock. A resounding thud echoed through the cell block and throughout her bones. For a moment while she limped around in circles from pain she had worried that just maybe she had broken something other than the lock. But the only thing damaged was her pride and hope. The lock in front of her was completely unscathed.

"What the hay?" Buck was startled from his slumber, the bubble popping in his face. He looked around desperately for the source when his eyes landed on Rose in the cell across from his. The stallion didn't have to look around to figure out where they were; his ears fell flat on his head as he slumped back against the wall.

"It'll be okay!" Rose told him confidantly. "We'll find a way out. Our parents will find out we're missing, they'll look for us too!"

"And end up in here with us?" Even Buck's voice was resigned in defeat. "Hawkins and Aries threw us in here. They'll lie to our parents and say something we didn't do and they'll believe them. At best we might get a visit from them."

"If you keep thinking like that it will. Come on! We need to get out! We need to save our friend!" Disregarding her previous lesson Rose turned and bucked the bars three more times before her bones screamed at her to stop. "Where's Storm?" she panted. Buck nodded in the direction of the cell parallel to her own. "Is he okay?"

"Yeah, he's awake. He's just sitting there."

"Storm? You alright?" A sigh was her reply. "Storm..."

"Face it..." his voice had an unexpected gruff to it. "We failed."

"But Aurora might still be somewhere! Maybe she'll find out and save us!" Even around the corner she could hear him scoff, an infuriating reaction. Before she could bark at him though a metal clank and jingle gave precedence to one of the cell block doors opening.

In walked Captain Aries, his bearing and uniform just as preserved as the previous night they saw him. The tension in the room tightened. Buck immediately barked at him, labeling the pegasus as a traitor while trying to claw at him through the bars. Rose tried to spit on his face but only hit his uniform to her disappointment. Aries ignored the two ponies and stopped in between the two center cells. His face was blank and his eyes were opened only partly. Storm noticed that his ears wren't as tall as they normally were, nor was his posture. Under his slightly drooped wings were a set of skeleton keys. It wasn't until that the fury of the ponies on either side of him died down that he spoke to them.

"I didn't want any of this..." His words were quiet and soft, with a reserved stutter hidden in them. "I'm so sorry."

"Explain, Aries." Storm wanted to know. Something about the Captain's current persona was off.

The older stallion exhaled a cold breath. "Aurora is dead." And the air became heavier than ever. "Admiral Hawkins told me. The explosion yesterday was her doing. She had been fighting with the guards on the command deck and shattered a window in an attempt to leave. Several ponies were killed as well when they were pulled from the ship, including my daughter, your friend."

Aries reached under his wing with his mouth and took out the keys. One by one he unlocked their cells and slid open their doors. Storm's knowing glance at Buck and Rose prevented them from attacking the stallion on the spot. Aries turned and continued towards the door without another word.

"Why release us?" asked Storm, slowing the pegasus to a stop just before he crossed the threshold. Without looking back Aries replied.

"None of this was your fault. There's so much you do not know, and you only scratched the surface when you discovered those files. The truth is kids... Every orbit we do over Equestria we send a patrol outside the ship. They're meant to example the land and see if the virus is there or not, and to see if there are any survivors below."

"We know about them, thought," Rose pointed out. "They're in the paper every few months. Those ponies are regarded as heroes. None of them have returned." They watched Aries' shoulders fall slightly. "They have returned... haven't they."

He looked over his shoulder at them. "The last patrol returned, with sightings of a pony settlement deep within a forest, near an abandoned castle. There's protocols for a scenario like this. We're supposed to return to the docks Navis 7 was built in, land, and rebuild Equestria. To restart."

"Why haven't we?" Buck tilted his head slightly.

"Admiral Hawkins..." there was evident hatred in Aries' voice. "He's been covering it up. He had those ponies thrown out during the last storm, dooming them. Anypony who knows was threated with the same result if they spoke up. That pony is obsessed with power. With thousands of ponies aboard Navis 7 he feels like a god. He controls the time of day like the royal sisters did, the weather like we pegasi did, what is made and the food that grows. He has absolute control over everything and fears that if we return to the land that he will lose that power. Hawkins doesn't just want to lead everypony he wants to control them like puppets."

"How do you know all of this?" Rose took a step forward.

"I helped him do it." Aries turned back towards the door, concealing the tear trail that escaped his right eye. "My AIR team acts as his secret police. We sent those ponies to their doom. We've kept these horrible secrets from the rest of the ship, from our families, you. Meant to be it's guardians; we became the ship's jailers, and Hawkins' it's warden."

"What now?" Storm approached the peagsus' side, making sure to be seen in the side of his vision. "He'll know you set us free, he'll do the same thing to you that he did that patrol and everypony else."

"That's why I'm going to tell everypony first. I'll try to bring him down with me as well..."

Captain Aries crossed the door's threshold and turned right down the narrow corridor. The three ponies he left behind were letting the news sink in. Buck stood next to Rose with his head on top of hers, tears coming from both of their eyes. Storm stood apart from them with his gaze on the ground. On the other side of the door something caught his eye. He walked forward to investigate and discovered the unconscious body of a guard who had been posted outside their door. Around his neck was a broken lanyard. Storm looked back at his only two friends. They tried to recompose themselves and return the knowing glance.

"You want to help him don't you." Buck said.

Storm shrugged. "I don't have any other plans tonight."

Rose inhaled deeply and smiled. "We've followed you this far. I'm in."

"Me too," Buck walked towards him, Rose quickly behind. "I know Aurora wouldn't have let this stand."

"Neither will we." Storm lead the ponies past the unconscious guard and down the hall. It broke off to the left and right, but it was nearly impossible to tell where Aries had gone. Buck tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to the right. At the start of another intersection the ponies could see the end of a yellow tail laying on the ground. With a quick step they ran towards it to discover another unconscious guard. Around the corner they could see Aries disappearing up a flight of stairs. "Come on!" Storm charged down the hallway with his friends hot on his hooves, transitioning to flight midway.

By the time they reached the top of the stairs they were just behind Aries. He turned left into the familiar blue halls of the AIR team section of the bridge. Without warning he stopped and about faced, looking down on the three younger ponies in front of him who had skidded to a halt. With a slightly cocked head he asked:

"Why follow me?"

"Your daughter would have helped you," Rose stepped forward, placing a hoof on his chest. "So will we."

Aries looked each of them deeply in the eye. "I won't tell your parents." He turned back and continued down the hall.

"What's the plan?" asked Buck.

"Grab some picks to use as weapons from the locker room, and attempt to gain control of the bridge. At the very least get to the P.A. system to tell the whole ship at once what's happened. You may leave at anytime, I won't ask you to take the life of another."

But the three ponies stayed at his side as they neared the locker room. It was the next door on their right. Aries hesitated a moment before opening it to contemplate the treason he was dragging himself and the kids with him into. "Into the breach," he whispered under his breath, pushing open the door. The group shuffled inside the dark room. When the lights finally came on they discovered they were encircled by about thirty or so ponies, all wearing the blue AIR Team flight suits. Aries pushed the ponies in his charge behind him, flaring his wings and assuming a defensive stance. Looking left and right he summed up his enemy. They would be defeated in a heartbeat but he was sure he wasn't going down without a fight. One team member pushed through the crowd to stand in front of his Captain.

"Sir," spoke Sky, the team 3 leader, and third in command. "We know what happened, with Aurora. Quick Wing was behind it, and fell with her." The pegasus took a closer step towards the senior officer in front of him. "You're not the only one who's been threatened by Hawkins. It's time we ended this, together. You just happened to stumble upon our own mutinous meeting."

Aries posture assumed a confident and commanding form. His moral was boosted by words of encouragement around him, whooping and hollering. "We'll fly with you to Tartarus, sir!" shouted one motivated pegasus.

Aries' smile grew. "Then let's fly." He turned and left with his new miniature army. They turned down the hallway making their way directly for the bridge.

He lead his miniature army in a march towards their objective with Sky abreast to his left and the younger three directly behind him, shortly followed by the rest of the AIR Team. Not long after they left the locker room they encountered a group of three bridge guards patrolling towards them. When they noticed the team of approaching pegasi one turned tail and ran towards the bridge. Sky and three other of his ponies were quick to tackle the other two to the ground, effortlessly knocking them out with well place blows to the head. Aries took off after the other with everypony following suit. The guard who ran away surely would warn the bridge and put it on lock down.

At the end of the maze another group of guards, this time five strong, waited in a defensive formation in front of the main entrance to the bridge. The door was still open but probably wouldn't be for long. This time they reacted first, bravely charging the outnumbering formation. Aries delivered a stern hit to the chest of the lead guard, giving him enough time to take flight over top the ponies and break for the door. Rose jumped onto Buck's back to use it as a platform to jump over the clashing parties and follow the captain. Just as she landed the door began to seal. Horn radiating, Rose held it in place with he magic. Buck and Storm charged through the commotion to rejoin with her and Aries. Behind them the fight had resulted in a second victory, though with a few wounds to their sides. Despite this the injured ponies refused to give up.

Captain Aries was the first through the door. Navis 7's multilevel bridge was expanded out in front of him. The ceiling was mostly glass allowing for great visibility. Catwalks lead to areas with desks and control facilities in order to keep the ship aloft. At the center was a chair that could see the entirety of the bridge and in front of that were the ship's steering wheels. Stairwells connected the upper section to the lower area of the bridge where most of the navigation work was done. The front of it was glass that extended below them that let them see what was underneath the front of the ship. Dozens of guards roamed the catwalks, protecting the crew who manned their posts. The chair in the center spun around, revealing Admiral Hawkins sitting in it. The AIR Team formed up behind Aries, while more of the bridge guards yelled and converged towards them.

"Admiral Hawkins," Captain Aries took an aggressive stance forward. "I am placing you under arrest for treason and for murder. And I'll be taking command of Navis 7. We're going home."

The unicorn rested his head on a hoof that was propped up on an arm of the chair and watched the unfolding scene as if it bored him. He waited while his guards surrounded the mutinous ponies, these ones armed with batons that were within easy reach of theirs hooves. A speech came to Hawkins' mind, growing a smile in the corners of his lips. The grand vision played through his mind like a personal marionette show.

First he would rise slowly from his chair and take a step forward. Standing taller than before in the face of the enemy he would become a beacon of hope to the ponies whom he commanded. With a laugh their threats would mean nothing to him and to his plans. He would mock them subtly at first before hitting Aries personal about his daughter and son being failures to the family line. The deaths of the school ponies he dragged into this would be on his conscious and he would have to suffer through all of their deaths. He would have to watch as his precious AIR Team fell to the superior unicorns. The Admiral would curse them for trying to stop him from saving ponydom and finding a cure for the virus while they selfishly sought out the land. It would bring thunderous applause from throughout the bridge in support of him from the ponies in his charge. Today would be his day of triumph over the last obstacle.

Hawkins rose from his chair, premeditated plan in mind. Just as he opened his mouth and the air from his lungs began to formulate words Areis' wings snapped open and pushed down with a great thrust. The pegasus was upon the corrupted unicorn in a blink. Aries grappled onto the pony by the shoulders, sneaking in an elbow to the jaw. Latched together they whipped past the Admiral's chair and scraped the control wheels. The large ornately carved wooden one in the center directly in front of the chair was sent into a dizzying clockwise spin. Navis 7 shuttered and screamed into the violent turn, slowly listing to the side through five, then ten degrees with no sign of stopping. Everypony across the ship found themselves losing traction, desperately trying to grab hold of things.

"The controls!" Storm turned to his two friends. He leaped to the air and shot forward towards the wheels. The ponies who were stationed their were quick to flee. Buck and Rose charged through the formation of AIR Team members just as the guards made their moves, batons in hoof. The AIR team unsheathed their ice picks and the melee began despite the ship's deathly bank.

When the three arrived in the control section in the forward part of the bridge Buck ased a very imporant question. "Do you know how to fly this thing?"

"No idea!"

Rose took the initiative, wrapping the out of control wheel in her magic. She tightened her telekinetic grip on it until it came to a halt. The ship was listing 45 degrees to the right and turn relatively sharply. Storm noticed another wheel to the right and perpendicular to the first start to rotate clockwise. The ship listed tighter and tighter into its turn. Buck helped Rose turn the center wheel in the opposite direction to level out the ship while Storm tried to take charge of the new controls. But the ship's elevators were still pitching the ship up, sending it soaring into the heavens.

Aries and Hawkins rolled and jabbed around one another despite the violent lurches from their home. They fought on top of the glass of the lower section of the bridge. Hawkins, on his back, tucked in his hind legs and took aim at the chest of the pegasus on top of him before giving a mighty buck. Aries flipped up head over hooves before catching himself and diving back down at the pony. The unicorn was able to roll to the side a split second before impact. Without his target in front of him Aries shot through the glass and into the freezing, choking high altitude air. The bridge depressurized as air rushed through the whole, threatening to drag ponies out through it. Hawkins assumed he had been victorious and began making his way back towards the fight, and the controls of his ship. In the chaos he failed to notice that in the level above him, Aries had pierced through the glass at the top of the bridge and took aim at the unicorn's side.

The two connected with a marvelous thud as the pegasus' momentum slammed them against the wall. On the level above them in the control section Storm, Buck, and Rose were still trying to gain control of the ship. Though they had cancelled their roll they were stuck in a steep climb. Storm used all his might to push the wooden wheel counter clockwise against the wind that pushed down on the control surfaces outside the ship.

One of the ship's guards had broken off from the melee and made his way towards the three. Buck caught sight of him before he could attack them by surprise. The two earth ponies engaged one another, the guard swinging first from the right with the baton in hoof. Buck bent his knees and dropped below the strike. The guard hit a series of levers instead, slamming them forward. With a great lurch everypony seemed to be tugged slightly towards the back of the ship by gravity. Buck sweeped his hind legs around and tripped the guard in front of him. While he was off balance he reared his legs and kicked, pushing him over the railing towards the floor below. The skirmish over, Buck helped Storm with the wheel. Together the two ponies were able to pull the ship out of it's deathly climb. No longer was she the homesick angle at 35,000 feet. Instead they had over corrected, and at the apotheosis of her climb arched into a dive. Only 20 degrees down, it was a far cry from their climb, but still one of the most severe maneuvers the ship had ever pulled.

"Guys!" Rose called out, afraid her voice wouldn't reach her friends in time. She pointed out through the glass in front of them. They were over the coastline of a desert and their height had allowed them to see far beyond the normal horizon. In the distance, barely visible over the planet's own surface was the iconic tip of the mountain that had stood as Equestria's heart. But she was more concerned with the ship's trajectory leading them into the burning sand.

Together the three tried to pull the ship up, but their decent was rapid. In addition the controls were starting to freeze up at the high altitude. Navis 7 dove towards it's death at thousands of feet per minute.

In the mean time most of the fighting had died down, with the AIR Team emerging on top. Aries and Hawkin's continued their grudge match on the floor below. After crashing into the wall Hawkins blasted the pegasus off of him with a brutal beam of magic. Aries in response took to the air to evade more strikes. He flew towards the wall, flaring his wings at the last moment and using his leads to jump off of it. He pushed himself down towards the corrupted unicorn. Hawkins manged to get off one more spell before being tackled with a resounding snap. Hawkins writhed in pain, his hind legs bent backwards.

Aries stood above the squirming pony, panting for breath. "It's over," he grunted before delivering his final punch across the unicorn's face. Hawkins body fell limp with closed eyes to the ground. The pegasus waited for a moment then flew up to the second level of the bridge. He saw AIR Team members helping one another and tending to their wounded. Judging from a couple of the small grounds, he could tell that a few brave pegasus' had been lost. Exceptional results compared to the state of the guards. Then he spotted the struggling teens in the control area.

"What's going on?" he asked, landing in the center between the wheels and the chair.

"Look!" Buck said, taking his hoof off of the controls for a moment to point towards their impending doom.

"Oh my," Aries felt his lips move but heard no words. He leapt back and stood atop the Admiral's old chair. "Storm, that wheel controls the ship's elevators. Turn it towards the back of the ship will cause us to go up, forward will go down. Look at the dial above it, when the red arrow is on zero then the surfaces are centered and we will neither climb nor dive. Rose! Go to the wheel in the center, it's our aerilons, it'll bank us left and right and the same thing applies for the dials. Just turn the wheel left or right and the ship will follow. That gold lever to the side will control the speed of the ship, the more forward it is the faster we'll go. Buck, take the wheel on the left. That will control our rudder and slew us left and right. Back goes to the left, forward is right. The levers you see next to it are for ballast. They control the air in the ship to make it rise or fall without having to pitch. Ready?"

"Yes sir!" Storm said, steadying his stance on the wheel as the others took to their positions.

On the arm of the chair was a microphone, attached by a corkscrewing cord. "Ponies of Navis 7," took it into hoof and spoke. "This is Captain Aries." His messaged echoed throughout the miles of halls and open spaces in the ship. Ponies across Navis 7 peaked up from their places of cover and grapples to hear. "Admiral Hawkins is no longer in command of this ship, he is a traitor and has been lying to us all. Today we return to the earth, to Equestria, to our homes."

He set the microphone down. Ahead the desert quickly approached, if they didn't deviate now they would surely become melted with it. Slightly to the right, there was the unmistakable grand canyon of the badlands.

"Rose, tilt the ship five degrees to the right. Throw that lever as far back as possible." She did as told, turning the wheel a hoofful of times to the right until the dial read +5. The lever was pulled back, a ding sounding out as it passed each speed indicator. "Storm, give us full elevators up, put that thing as far to the right as you can." The pegasus stood on the right side of the wheel, reaching up as high as he could for a hoof-hold and pulling it down towards him, repeating to process until it spun in a blur of motion. "Buck! You too son, and flip those levers up to get as much air into this thing as we can."

Aries again picked up the microphone, speaking into it with an urgent and commanding voice. "All ponies brace for impact!"

Equestria was about to reclaim it's ponies.

Author's Note:

I'll be honest off the bat, not 100% happy with how this chapter turned out. I rushed and was struggling to get it finished. It was deleted and rewritten about six times and I just wanted to white my keyboard of it so I could move on with the story. That being said, I hope the frustraition doesn't show too much and that you all enjoy it regardless. This chapter should have been done last Friday, but alas there were delays.

To give those of you who don't follow blogs (like me!) an update:
Once this story is finished, which I'm hoping will be by the end of this or next month, I'm going to resume work on The Four Horses, so there's that too look forward to! I'm not even sure if I'm going straight into a new chapter, I'm honestly going to go through and edit and make changes since there were some plot hole pointed out in it.

Beyond that, everything is going considerably well! At least it wasn't a full year between chapters being written again huh?

And of course, Up Next: Aurora goes for a flight.

Comments ( 2 )

Boop :pinkiehappy: Need any help editing or something? Would like to keep reading, is very interesting :pinkiehappy:

7811600 I need help staying motivated to write in at least one of the 4 open stories I have going on at once right now haha

Login or register to comment