• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 2,285 Views, 49 Comments

The Ballad of Rainbow Dash and Time Turner: Give A Little Love - dramatic_spoon



Time Turner and Rainbow Dash deal with how they feel about each other.

  • ...
3
 49
 2,285

Like I Love You.

Time Turner blinked.

“Why did you crawl through the window?”

“What?” Dash closed the window behind her before turning her attention back to him.

“I said, why did you crawl through the window?” he motioned towards the door, “We have a front door, you know.”

“Yeah, but if you were busy, they’d just turn me away.” Dash paused, “And I think the mayor is still mad about the whole thing with Ditzy and the town hall.”

“Well, you did end up costing us more money to fix it.”

“Yeah…Well, who’s bright idea was it to have Ditzy help out?” Dash cringed slightly, “I mean…It’s not that I have anything against her but…”

“We know she’s clumsy. We were just really short hooved that day.”

“So anyway, like I was saying, wanna get lunch?”

“…I got about half an hour until my break.” Turner sighed, “Besides I need to figure out where this money went.”

Dash groaned and flittered over to the couch. The mare flopped onto it, resting the back of her head on one of the arms.

“Why does this smell weird?”

“It’s stuffed with tea tree clippings. The smell is suppose to be a relaxant.”

Dash flipped over, sniffing the arm before flipping back onto her back, “It smells like my Grandma’s house. How much money is missing?”

“About sixty-three bits.” Turner scratched his head in thought, pencil clamped in his jaws.

“…What about Fluttershy’s loan?”

“She took out a loan?”

“Yeah, one of the chicken coops exploded.” Dash paused, “Scoots and her friends did it, don’t ask me how.”

“…Did she report it to us?”

“I think that week you were out of town.” Dash sat up, “Coulda sworn we left a note.”

“…How much did she take out?”

“Sixty-three.”

“…Well that makes everything easier.” He muttered as he added the amount it, “Looks like it worked out.”

“So we can go?”

“….I guess, let me give this to Raven.” Time Turner clipped the papers together and got up from his desk.

“So is this what you do all day?” Dash got off the sofa and followed him.

“Pretty much.” He pushed the door open and sighed, “Balance the budget, deal with whatever chaos Twilight and your friends do…”

“We don’t do that much.”

“Dash, we have a budget called the ‘Twilight does something stupid’ budget.” Turner rolled his eyes, “We made it after the whole parasprite thing.”

“That’s just one time.”

“And the whole thing with the doll and the whole thing where your friends dressed up as…what was she called again? The Mysterious Mare-do-well?” He paused and looked at her, “What was up with that?”

“They thought my ego was getting a bit too big…”

“…So dressing as some ridiculous real life Superhero was suppose to help how?” he shook his head again, “whatever happened to ‘Hey Dash, I think you’re getting a bit too swollen about this whole saving the day thing’?”

Dash opened her mouth to respond, and paused lost in thought, “…That’s a good question, actually.” Dash admitted.

Time Turner rolled his eyes as he passed Raven. The mare looked up from her paper work and frowned.
“Boss said no breaks until you finish it.”

“I did.” Turner countered, “Going to lunch.”

“…Rainbow Dash, I don’t you going out to lunch with your coltfriend, but please don’t break into town hall.”

“I didn’t break in.” she muttered.

“Regardless, if you want to talk with Time Turner, you’ll have to do it like everypony else.” Raven paused, “I can give you a bit of extra time if you need it, Turner. The boss called it a half day due to some family emergency.”

“…Thanks?” Time Turner’s eyebrow rose.

“Trust me, you’re gonna need it.” Raven turned her attention back to her paper as the pair left, “After all, I’m going to win the bet with Drops and the boss.”

---

“So where to?” Turner asked.

“We can’t go to Le Cheval Amical. They banned me.”

“…What did you do?”

“I, you know, kinda sorta accidently knocked some food onto ponies.” Dash paused, “You know, accidentally.”

“…Why?”

“Well…I’m not sure if I should say.”

“…No one got sent to the hospital right?”

“As far as I know.” Dash shrugged, “I promised Rarity I wouldn’t talk too much about it.”

“…Well that doesn’t sound suspicious or anything,” Turner shook his head.

“There’s the café.”

“…Yeah, that’s fine.”

The two entered the café. The waitress turned around and smiled at the two.

“Hi there! Just you two?”

“Yeah.” Time Turner nodded.

“Walk this way.” the waitress beamed as she headed towards a table. The two followed her, taking their seats.

“While you all figure out what you’ll get, can I get you something to drink?”

“Water’s fine.”

“Coffee. Lots of sugar and cream. And keep it coming.”

The waitress trotted off, leaving the two to look at their menus.

“Do you always drink that much coffee?”

“Yeah. Berry refuses to make Carajillo, so I need to get it everywhere else.” Dash dropped her menu back onto the table, “I think I’m just gonna wait for the specials.”

“Carajillo?”
“Coffee mixed with Rum. Sometimes they light the rum on fire and dose it with the coffee so it gets caramelized.”

“…Mixing Caffeine with alcohol sounds like a remarkably bad idea,” Turner paused and flipped a page, “Especially given how much coffee and alcohol you drink.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Alcohol has a depressing effect on your central nervous system. Caffeine has a stimulating effect on it. Consuming both at the same time isn’t good.”

“…Maybe I won’t have any Carajillo.”

The waitress returned, placing a glass of water and a cup of coffee on the table, along with a small plate covered in packets of sugar and lite creame.

“Ready to order?” she beamed.

“What’s your special today?”

“Well, the soup of the day is Jijigae, and-”

“What’s that?” Dash interrupted.

“It’s a spicy soup from Jejureyo. It’s Tofu, mixed vegetables, Jejurean chili powered with-”

“I don’t like spicy.” Dash interrupted again, “What else is there?”

“Well, we also have a Limu and Hō’i’o Salad. It’s seaweed and fernshoots with tomato, onion, and cucumbers with a soy sauce-vinegar dressing.”

“Yeah, I’ll go with that.” Dash paused, “And a side of hay fries.”

“And you, sir?”

“Just the seven bean salad.”

“Alright!”

The waitress trotted off, leaving the two to talk. Dash snatched up her coffee and began to drink.

“…Something’s on your mind.” Turner began. Dash choked on her coffee, spitting it onto the table. “…Yeah, something definitely is.”

Dash coughed and sputtered, while another waitress rushed over with a towel to clean up the mess.

“Sorry, sorry, thanks.” Dash flashed an awkward smile as the waitress cleaned up the mess. After she left, Dash turned her attention back to Time Turner, “What are you talking about?”

“…You’re bad at hiding things,” Time Turner paused, “You invited me to lunch. You only do that when you have something big on your mind, not to mention you missed last night.”
He paused again, “Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure my liver and head appreciate a break, but it’s still something that comes across as odd.”

“…Well…”

“You can tell me, we’re friends.”

---

“…and further more, how am I expected to work when I have you breathing down my neck?” Rarity jabbed a hoof into Ditzy’s chest.

“Well, then if I’m too much of a problem, let’s ask Rainbow Dash what she thinks.”

The two turned to look at third mare, only to find her spot long abandoned.

“…Where’d she go?”

---

“…Look, Turner…” Dash paused, “…how do I say it.”

“…Oh god, don’t tell me I did something stupid when I was drunk.” He massaged his temples, “My parents are going to kill me.”

“No, you dumbass, it’s…” Dash paused again. “Look. I like you.”

“And I like you too, that’s why we go drinking.”

“No, I like you, like you.” Dash paused, “Like the way Cloudchaser and Mac like each other.”

“…You know, most ponies would just say love.” Turner chuckled.

“Fine.” She rolled her eyes, “I love you.”

“…Heh,” Turner chuckled, “Well that makes this a lot easier.”

“What?”

Time Turner opened his mouth to speak, only for the waitress to return and set down their orders.

“Enjoy!”

Dash waited for the waitress to leave before resuming her question, “What do you mean by that?”

“Dash, you ever read one of those really stupid, cheesy romance novels where the guy and girl aren’t very similar at all, but still fall in love?”

“…Yeah, that’s like every Conscious River novel ever.” Dash shrugged.

“…Well that’s the sort of story this is.” Time Turner chuckled, “Dear Celestia, we must look ridiculous.”

“Well…It’s like Rarity and Soarin.” Dash’s eyes widened in realization and she slapped a hoof over her mouth.

“Rarity and who?” Time Turner stared at her, “That sounds like an amazing story…”

“Aaanyway, so…does this mean we’re…dating?” Dash paused.

“I suppose so.” Turner sighed, “It all seems a bit anticlimactic, doesn’t it?”

“Yeah, but that’s sort of how life is, isn’t it?” Dash countered.

“True.”

“So does this count as a date or what?”

“Well I’m not paying for both of us,” Turner scoffed, “You invited me, you pay.”

“Yeah, but shouldn’t you be a gentlecolt about it?” Dash countered.

“…Touché.” He conceded, “But no matter how we look at it, there’s plenty more chances, so let’s just agree that this one doesn’t count.”

“Fine.” Dash rolled her eyes and picked up her fork, “Anyway, enough chit-chat, let’s eat.”

The two began to eat their lunches. Outside of the restaurant, Rarity smiled at the two through the window.

“We did a good job.”

“We?” Ditzy countered, “We didn’t even do anything, that was all Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh hush.” Rarity silenced Ditzy, “We had a role to play in this.”

“The role of bickering morons,” Ditzy muttered under her breath.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.”

Comments ( 12 )

And it's over, finished.

Time for part 2:
The Ballad of Time Turner and Rainbow Dash: Love is On our side...

It's a working title.
still taking suggestions for it.

5255727 This was awesome. Also I have a funny name you could use:

The Ballad of Time Turner and Rainbow Dash: Romance Novels Can Suck It

5255753 That....could work...

This was an awesome story. I loved it. Rarity's and Dity's roles were awesome. I can't wait for any future stories from you. Thanks for writing this. It brightened my day at times.

5255753

Might use it for part 3.

Part 2 is more about the future in laws meeting.

5256558
The Ballad of Time Turner and Rainbow Dash: Gonna Need More Liquor

this was seriously adorable

Your pleasant commentary and review is here!

Thanks for submitting, dramatic_spoon!

it's Doctor Whooves, not Time Turner. No offense, though. The story is great, the name is the only thing that bothers me.

7446621

No it's not.

"Doctor Whooves" is the name that would be used if this was all about Rainbow Dash going on adventures through time and space with The Doctor.

"Time Turner" is the Mayor's assistant, and a regular old pony.

Given that fandom's preference for portraying him as the Doctor-as-a-pony, I use Time Turner to differentiate the two interpretations.

7447213 Okay, I get it now.

Ditsy is a smart one...

Login or register to comment