• Published 5th Feb 2014
  • 9,496 Views, 319 Comments

A Ghost And A Roach - Delta 727



Sergeant Gary "Roach" Sanderson and Lieutenant Simon "Ghost" Riley of Task Force 141 are revived in Equestria after being K.I.A. on the Russian-Georgian border. Is there more to their arrival though?

  • ...
46
 319
 9,496

Ghost Stories, Part 1: Welcome to the S.A.S.

Ghost Stories, Part 1: Welcome to the S.A.S.

One year ago...

"Stay with me, Gary. Eyes on me. Good. Now I want you to take a swing at me. Try to gimme something that'll hurt tomorrow."

"Sure you can take it?"

"Can't be as bad as getting shot, so I'd hope so. Now, hit me!"

Gary swung out with a right hook, aiming for Simon's jaw. Simon leaned back, turning his cheek into the punch. Gary just barely made impact, but impact nonetheless. Simon grunted, staggering back a pace. He touched a couple fingers to his lips. A couple drops of blood dotted his fingertips. He flicked them away, raising his fists again.

"Not bad. Now it's my turn."

He swung with an uppercut towards Gary's gut, but he was ready for it. Gary slid one foot back, Simon's fist grazing Gary's army green t-shirt. Gary responded with a shot towards Simon's ribs, but Simon reacted by swinging his leg, trying to trip Ghost up. Gary's punch missed, but he kicked Simon's leg away, knocking him off balance. As his leg swung up, Simon gasped as he felt Gary grab a hold of his ankle and push upwards, knocking him up and off balance. He fell backwards, hitting the padded mat with a thud, the air knocked from his lungs. He grabbed his chest, a noise escaping his throat that was somewhere between gasping and laughing.

"Not bad," Simon coughed.

"You ain't so bad yourself," Gary said, holding out a hand to help him up. Gary took it, pulling himself off the ground, brushing out his shirt.

"You're learning fast," Simon said. "You fight a lot better than you shoot, that's for bloody sure."

Gary gave Simon a gentle shove on the shoulder. "You watch yourself, bud. I might accidentally aim my sidearm at your kneecap next time we're at the shooting range."

"And I might kiss you at the pub one night and say I was drunk."

"Hey, if you buy me dinner, I'll take my shirt off first."

Simon shoved him back, but he was smiling. He patted Gary on the shoulder, and they went for the door.

"For the record," Simon said on the way out, "I could've stomped you like a roach if I wanted to. You know what? I think that's what I'll call you from now on. Roach. Sounds fitting."

"Oh, please," Gary rolled his eyes, "You went as white as a ghost when I threw you on your-" Simon punched him in the shoulder before he could finish. Gary shrugged as they left. "I'm telling ya, white as a ghost."

---

"And that's how you came to be known as Ghost and Roach?"

"That's right, mate."

"What did your C.O. think when you told him you wanted those names?"

"He thought they were bloody strange. So Roach asked him what kind of name Soap was."

"And what'd 'Soap' do?"

"... Smiled. Then patted us on the shoulders and welcomed us to the S.A.S. family. That was just before Soap took Roach to the mountains of Kazakhstan to retrieve some pretty valuable intel. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I'd see either of those bloody soldiers alive again. You can imagine my surprise when they came back in one piece."

"Where were you while they were in Kazakhstan?"

"In the chopper, waiting to pick them up."

"The chopper?"

"Didn't stutter, mate. The chopper. Was at the bottom of the mountain when the two of them came barreling down the mountain on snow bikes with at least ten more armed and very angry Russians following them. We were getting shot up all the way off that mountain. Lost two good men just trying to take off."

"You two must've been pretty close."

"... Yeah. We were."

"Some people say the two of you are heroes."

"I ain't no hero. I'm the one who's still breathing. Roach is the hero in all this. Best soldier I ever knew, and believe me, it's hard to find any good soldiers anymore."

"Just one more question. How did Roach-"

"I think we're out of time, mate."

"But how did he-"

"Yeah, we're out of time." Scree. "You should buy yourself a watch, mate."

Creeeak... Slam!

...

Sigh...

"Kill the tape."

...

Click.

Comments ( 15 )

Glad to see this still alive.

Well that was a nice backstory. That ending though, interesting.

HOW DID HE WHAT!?!?!?!?:raritycry::raritydespair:

^^i really think this very nicely written story glad its still alive

5940597 YEAH, YEAH I GOT THAT LECTURE BEFORE I'M SORRY I'LL TRY TO FIX IT

Nice Ghost stories, hehehe, like how they got their names.
good show chap.

More... need more.

When do you think you will ever be able to post a new chapter

Do you know when your going to post the next chapter I can't wait!!!!

If only a certain someone had red the Ghost comics

Any word on the next chapter?

Whens the next chapter:twilightsmile:

R.I.P this story.

Login or register to comment