• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 1,438 Views, 30 Comments

Project Change - The One With The Crystal



One changeling. Two musicians. Three fillies. What could possibly go wrong.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,438

An angel's tears

Morning came all too fast for Twilight and just like every other day she forced herself out of bed to do her daily routines. Once she was done with that she picked up the brush with her magic grip and headed down the stairs. Upon reaching the bottom floor she found that most of her books shelves had been emptied out. She also show a tower of books in the middle of the floor along with a very focused filly.

"Good morning Soaring Sorrows." Twilight said. Sorrows simply replied by waving her hoof and continued reading. Twilight walked over to the kitchen table to sit down for breakfast. Just as she sat down Spike brought her a plate. Scrambled eggs, oatmeal, and toast was on the menu this morning.

"Congratulations Twi." Spike said as he sat down with his plate of food.

"For what?" Twilight said with a mouthful of eggs.

"For finding a pony who loves books as much as you. I found her this morning with books scattered all over the floor, I thought she broke in last night." Spike said as he began to eat his oatmeal.

"Spike you do know that you um........ floated right passed her last night."

"I had......some things on my mind at the time.I didn't notice her."

"Of course you didn't."

The two continued to eat their meal just as Sorrows decided to join them. As she began to eat she couldn't help notice the look in Spike's eyes. There was something behind those young and kind eyes. Something that was slowly eating at him, but she couldn't tell what it was exactly. Normally her magic would have picked up on any type of sadness or depression, but if Spike was hiding it he sure knew how to hide it well.

Spike looked at Soaring Sorrows with a questioning look. "Uh........ why are you starring at me?" Spike asked. Sorrows blink for a bit. She didn't even notice that she was starring at the dragon. It made her blush slightly as she hid behind her mane. Spike looked towards Twilight as if she had some kind of answer, but received a shrug from the mare.

After that the rest of the morning was quite peaceful. Once the dishes were cleaned Twilight and Soaring Sorrows went out into the town of Ponyville. For hours they searched for a perfect match for Soaring Sorrows, but nopony seemed interested in adopting her. Time flew by as the two journeyed through the town. By the time they decided to take a brake it was already half past one o'clock. Twilight decided to take a lunch break. Sorrows silently thanked Celestia as she walked with Twilight into a restaurant.

The interior of the restaurant was very lively for the pack had almost every table had pony families, couples, or friends at them. "Twilight!!!" somepony yelled. Twilight looked to see who was calling her only to she a pink earth pony with a cotton candy mane waving her hoofs in the air. "Over here!!" yelled the overly excited mare.

As Twilight and Soaring Sorrows walked to the table to where the crazy pink pony was they discovered that they had more company. At the table were four other mares. One pearly white unicorn with a stylish purple mane. Two pegusi, one with a cyan coat and a cool rainbow styled hair. The other had a light yellow coat with long pink hair that she tried to hide herself behind. Then finally other earth pony, but this one had an orange coat with blonde hair tied in a pony-tail. She also wore a cowboy hat on top of her head.

"Well hello girls." said Twilight with a smile. Though before anypony else could speak the crazy pink mare started to talk really fast.

"Ohmygosh! You must be new here because I know everypony in Ponyville and I haven't seen you before which means you must be new! Oh like love meeting new friends! There was this one time when......." the pink mare was stopped mid-sentence by the cowgirl's hoof being place over her mouth.

"Excuse Pinkie Pie. She can be....... a bit random?" said the cowgirl.

"Its nothing. I like seeing somepony as lively as....... Pinkie Pie was it?" said Soaring Sorrows.

"Oh excuse our manners. Let us introduce ourselves. I'm Rarity." said the pearly unicorn.

"Name's Rainbow Dash. Nice to meet ya kid." said the cyan pegasus.

"Mah name's Applejack. Nice to meet ya sugercube." said the cowgirl as she removed her hoof from Pinkie's mouth.

"Oh...... I'm.......F-Fluttershy." said the shy pegasus.

After everypony got acquainted they started to talk. Pinkie was about to jump and prepare a party for Sorrows, but was stopped by a stallion calling out their meal number. The pink mare then what up to the counter to retrieve the order. She brought back with her at two trays and a total of seven meals. "I didn't know what you wanted so I got you a hayburger with a side of fries." Pinkie said.

"How did you know she was coming?" asked Twilight.

"I didn't." replied Pinkie Pie as she started to eat her food.

Just as Twilight was about to object to the pink mare's strange behavior she chuckled as she soon realized how pointless that would be and decided to eat. "By the way Rarity I didn't know you came to this place." Twilight said.

"Though it may not be a fancy restaurant or a pleasant cafe it does have that friendly atmosphere. Plus I can get more of these." Rarity said as she held up a puzzle piece in her magical grip.

"Whats that?" asked Rainbow Dash

"Oh nothing dear. Its just something that they give out with the purchase of a meal. Well that is if your a member of their club."

"Since when did ya'll become a member?" asked Applejack.

"I never became a member. Ever time I come here Sweetie Belle always makes me take her membership card. Its a hobby we have grown to like. They give you a different piece each time you come here. Sometimes the piece fits with the rest that you have sometimes it doesn't and you have to wait until you can get another piece."

"Wait can't you just come back to get another piece?" asked Twilight before she took a sip of her drink

"Well that is where your wrong. They have a system here to where they know who has gotten a puzzle piece or not. Every employee knows it so that makes it even more secure. You just have to get a puzzle piece one day and come back the next. Thats how they get some of the ponies in here you know."

While everypony else was talking Soaring Sorrows and Fluttershy quietly ate in silence. Only for brief moments did the two make eye contact, but then they broke away. The others were too deep into their conversation for them to interrupt now. To them that would just be rude. Feeling the urge to at least have a decent talk Soaring Sorrows took a breath and spoke. "So um...... what do you like to do Fluttershy if you don't mind me asking." she said

"Oh um.... nothing much really. I just....um take care of the animals that live n..near my cottage." Fluttershy responded.

"What kind of animals?" asked Soaring Sorrows.

"All kinds. Birds, rabbits, squirrels, bees, ferrets, mice, chickens, fish, and a bear. Though he only comes by every once in awhile." Fluttershy said sounding a bit more brave.

"Wow your amazing!"

"I'm not that amazing. I just do what I do."

The two continued to talk about things. They seemed to get along really well. Fluttershy told her how each and every creature has a specific way they can be calmed and tamed. She even began to tell about all the different types of animals she knew and has cared for. Then there sat Sorrows absorbing all the information like a sponge and every now and again she would tell Fluttershy some information she knew. Though she knew very little. The two were so into their conversation they didn't even notice that the rest of the restaurant was looking at them.

"I didn't know Fluttershy had a daughter." said a pony

"I didn't either." said another

"But she hasn't been with anypony. Not long enough to have a filly right under our noses." said a mare

"Maybe she adopted her." said somepony else.

As Fluttershy and Soaring Sorrows continued to talk Sorrows's horn started to glow. And she was stopped talking. Her smile was wiped completely from her face and her eyes started to fill to the brim with tears. Fluttershy looked concerned towards the young filly and was about to ask if she was okay when Sorrows left the table. She slowly walked towards the front door. From there she began to leave the building and head into the outskirts of the town. The five mares at the table as well as the rest of the restaurant were deeply confused.

"Oh no. She's doing it again." said Twilight as she began to leave as well. Her friends followed her in her wake.

"Twilight deary, what do you mean 'she's doing it again'?" asked Rarity.

"Well you see it happened yesterday...." Twilight started. As they followed Soaring Sorrows, Twilight told everything she knew about the filly and everything she told her. Twilight's friends gasped at the story as it was being told. Some even went as far to nearly faint.

"So why are we following her?" asked Rainbow Dash

"Soaring Sorrows is just a filly. A filly shouldn't be able to handle that type of magic all by herself. That kind of power could drive anypony crazy. If we follow her, observe her, when her magic is at work I'm sure we can find a way to tame it." Twilight answered.

For the next couple of minutes the six mares followed the filly. Then she stopped and so did they. Soaring Sorrows turned towards an alleyway that was almost completely covered with shadows. "You can come out now. Nopony is going to hurt you, I promise." Sorrows said with a kind voice. Nopony came out of the shadows of the alleyway. All was quiet and still.

"Uh Sorrows.......who are you talking too?" asked Twilight

Soaring Sorrows replied with silence as her horn glowed. The alleyway was filled with blinding light, leaving no corner unseen. While the mares watching shielded their eyes they didn't see a small creature leap out of the alley way. Though it was fast it was't a match for Soaring Sorrows's magic. With the creature in her magical grip she held it in place while the light faded away. As the rest of the light faded and the ponies began to uncover their eyes they were left speechless as they gazed at what was displayed right in front of them.

The little filly Soaring Sorrows had grown her own pair of angelic wings along with a halo. She was also wearing a lovely white dress with golden lace. "Uh.....does anypony else think the plot line is going a bit too fast?" asked Pinkie Pie.

"Plot what?" asked Applejack

"Oh nothing." replied Pinkie

"Forget about Pinkie for a minute. We have something bigger on our hooves." Twilight said

In Soaring Sorrows's magical grip was a creature that was unlike anypony has ever seen. It was a snake and was about as large as a boa constrictor, but it had three eyes and a pair of small horns. "Ugh. What in Equestria is that?" asked Rarity as she recoiled.

"Its a demon from Tartarus. A snake like creature that when fully grown can level an entire city in a matter of minutes." Twilight said in a worried tone.

"What is that thing doing here?! I thought you sealed the Tartarus!" Rainbow Dash said.

"I may have sealed it, but from time to time a small demon can escape from it, but thats not the point we have to find a way to get that thing away from here."

With the demon still in her magical grip he struggled to get free of Soaring Sorrows's grip, but soon he gave in. He closed it's eyes and awaited it's judgement.

"Sorrows what are you doing?" asked Twilight

Again Sorrows replied with silence. Using her magic she brought the snake in closer and closer until its face was mere inches away from her own. Sorrows gazed into the eyes of the demon and he froze in his place. Sorrows smiled softly. "You sure do get in a lot of trouble for a little guy. I mean really, you caused so much pain and suffering to that poor mare." she said. "And your such a long way from home too. I'm sure your family must be worried." The snake's pupils became pinpricks from hearing what the filly said. He was even more shocked as Soaring Sorrows pulled him into her embrace. The demon tried to struggle its way out. Realizing there was noway out he coiled himself around Sorrows attempting to squeeze the breath out of her.

"Sorrows!" The six mares said in unison.

Time slowed down as the mares rushed towards the filly. The snake continued to squeeze Sorrows in hope of getting away, but the demon was then shocked by what came next. Sorrows hugged him harder with tears in her eyes. "Its okay. You can cry now. No one is going to hurt you anymore." she said as her tears began to fall. She then wrapped her wings around the snake in a protective and motherly manner. "Remember all the good times you had with your family. Remember all the laughs and the smiles. I bet they really miss you."

Tears fell from the demons eyes as it remembered. He cried into Sorrows's fur while the six mares moved in.

"Sorrows get away from that thing." Twilight demanded.

"You ponies really do over look things." Sorrows said. Sorrows turned around to face the six mares. He wings, halo, and dress soon began to vanish. "You can be so much more, do so much more. If you would just open your eyes and look."

"What are you talkin' about?" asked Applejack.

"This little guy is just a baby. He is just sad thats all." answered Sorrows.

"Little?! He's four times bigger than you!" yelled Rainbow Dash.

"I know that, but thats not a good reason to just abandon him. What would you do if this was Scootaloo huh? What would you do if you found Scootaloo lost and scared?" said Sorrows. Dash just stood there not sure of how to react.

"I....I would help her of course." Rainbow said.

"Okay than answer this.What would you do if it was somepony else? Or not even that, What would you do if it was somepony you didn't even know? Would you help them or would you just kick them to the side of the road like some useless garbage." Sorrows said as her tone turned into one of a more serious one.

"I.....I.....I....." Rainbow Dash stumbled.

"Its not easy is it. When you think about it of course you would help somepony else even if their not the same race as you, but when it comes down right to it your disgusted by the idea. You may think your not though deep down you'd rather do something more worth your time." Sorrows said. The six mares gasped at the words of the young filly. Soaring Sorrows would have continued her speech if it hadn't have been for the sudden tug on her being. 'No. Not yet. Just a little while longer.' she thought to herself. "Now if you would excuse me. I have to go take this little guy back to his mother. She must be very worried by now."

With that Soaring Sorrows began her way towards the edge of the Everfree Forest. "H-hey wait!" said Twilight. The mares tried to follow her, but were blinded by the light that Sorrows produced from her horn. When the light cleared the filly wasn't there anymore. "That filly is an anomaly wrapped in mystery." said Twilight.

"Nah. Shes just been through a lot." said Pinkie Pie.

"Um...,..what does that mean? If you don't mind me asking." said Fluttershy.

"I could tell you, but that would ruin the story and I'm sure the author doesn't want that to happen." replied Pinkie Pie.

"Pinkie your not making sense. None of this is making sense" Twilight said.

"Come on Twi. Let the author do his job. Your making everything too hard. Plus I'm sure this isn't the last time we're going to see Soaring Sorrows." Pinkie said as she bounced away. The others look at the crazy mare and shrugged their shoulders thinking that she was just being as random as usual. Though they all wanted to find out what was happening they decided to take a brake before they try anything else. Thinking about this would give anypony a headache.