• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 1,438 Views, 30 Comments

Project Change - The One With The Crystal



One changeling. Two musicians. Three fillies. What could possibly go wrong.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,438

Split Personality

The sun was beginning to set and the residents of Ponyville were beginning to go home. The Cutie Mark Crusaders along with Pyxis did the same. They left Vinyl and Octavia's music shop and were now heading home. As Scootaloo dropped off Sweetie Belle at Rarity's boutique Pyxis felt a little odd. He soon shook it off as a slight feeling of hunger. He hadn't had a good chance to eat anything yet. Even though Octavia provided refreshments it didn't provide any type of nourishment.

As Scootaloo headed toward the next destination at high speeds. Within a couple of minutes she was at Sweet Apple Acres, where she dropped Applebloom off. She was about to ask where Pyxis lived at, but he said he could fly there. He made a fake story that his parents had set up camp a long way away from the town and he didn't want her to drive him all that way even if she was fast with that scooter of her's. Having believed in the young changeling's lie Scootaloo drove off towards her home.

There were not as many ponies outside now. He took out one of his crystals from his belt and began to drain the love contained inside it. As he drained the crystal he could feel his wing getting better and stronger. After a few minutes of eating Pyxis's wing became all better. Pyxis hide behind a house transformed back into his changeling form. It was darker now. He could sneak out of the town in a hurry and nopony would see him. As he went through the town he was able to remain undetected with great ease. Though he almost got caught by a dog that was barking at him, he silently thanked the orange earth pony that came to retrieve her dog. Pyxis was half way through the town when he felt something.

It felt like emotions started filling the area. Normally this would be a good thing. It would be good to get a few more days of love would be good, but this was not the case. Strong surges of negative emotions started to fill the area. Strong enough to make Pyxis recoil in the sudden change of emotions. He felt his whole body go stiff and was not able to move after a couple of minutes. Though Pyxis was now hiding in a bush he didn't feel like getting caught now. Soon the outside of his vision started to turn black and he began to feel light-headed. Then everything went black.

Twilight Sparkle was on her way back home from searching for Pyxis. She checked everywhere, but came up with no results. She had some questions for the little colt and she wasn't going to let him leave until they were answered. As she was walking out of the corner of her eye she briefly saw a flash of a dull pink flame emanating from the bush she just passed. She turned around quickly, prepared to take on anything that would come out of the push. Minutes passed and Twilight sighed as she relaxed. "Maybe Spike was right. I need some more rest." Twilight said to herself.

As she turned around to start her journey back home a little unicorn filly stood in her way. "You should really stop talking to yourself." she said. Twilight jumped backwards as the little filly talked. The filly shied away behind her mane as she started to look at the ground. "Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

The purple unicorn calmed down well enough to get a good look at the filly. She had golden yellow fur and a long pink mane with black stripes.Her eyes were a deep shade of pink. Twilight was shocked as to how much the filly resembled her timid pegasus friend Fluttershy. Even the way she shied behind her mane was exactly like Fluttershy.

Twilight shook her head of the thoughts that were distracting her. "Its okay. I was just startled. You sure have quite hooves......" Twilight said leaving a space for the filly to finish.

"Soaring Sorrows" the filly said.

"Soaring Sorrows? Thats a... unique name." Twilight said.

"You think its weird don't you?" Soaring Sorrows asked with sad expression on her face.

"Nonononono. Its not weird. Its just a little..... depressing thats all." Twilight said quickly not wanting to hurt the fillies feelings.

"Your not the first to say that." Soaring Sorrows said as she let her eyes drift towards the ground

Time passed before either of the ponies made a sound. Silence floated on the breeze as the mare and filly stood there. Staring off into nothing trying to think about something to say. Something to add on to the conversation. As Twilight thought she could see that the sun had already vanished behind the horizon and the moon was starting it's journey across the sky. "Hey its getting pretty late. Shouldn't you be getting home? Your parents must be getting awfully worried about you." Twilight said.

Soaring Sorrows's ears twitched as her horn began to glow in a blue aura. "Well you see...... I.....I...." She stumbled on her words as if it hurt just to say them. Soaring Sorrows lunged forward and held tight to Twilight's chest. "I don't have any parents!" the filly sobbed.

"Your.... an orphan?" Twilight asked.

The filly nodded her head as she continued to cry. Twilight slowly stroked the little filly's mane as she talked to her. "Its okay Sorrows. If it helps any you can stay with me until the morning. Then we'll find you a new home. How does that sound?" she asked. Twilight gained a slow nod from the little filly which put a smile on the unicorn's face.

Soon enough the two unicorns made it to Twilight's house. Once inside Soaring Sorrows gasped. Not only was Twilight's house inside a tree, but it was also a library. Oh how she loves libraries. Though she only read a few books which she 'borrowed' Sorrows always loved books and the vast amount of knowledge that held. Twilight looked back at the unicorn filly. She was still crying, but had a smile upon her face so the mare just shook it off as tears of joy.

"Spike should be back in a few minutes, but until then how about we get to know one another?" Twilight asked.

"That sounds okay." Soaring Sorrows replied.

"Good I'll go first." Twilight said with glee.

Over the course of the next half an hour and one lovesick floating dragon, Soaring Sorrows began to learn about Twilight and her life. She was amazed that she was talking to the student of the one and only Princess Celestia. Not only that, but the mare in front of her was an Element of Harmony. Together with her friends they purified Princess Luna of her evil self and returned Equestria to its normal state of order after Discord came. Now Twilight was beginning to talk about her brother's wedding. "Oh it was amazing. I've never had so much fun before. Well Pinkie did plan the party so I'm not surprised. Though it didn't start off that good." Twilight said with a frown.

"What do you mean? Did something bad happen?" asked Soaring Sorrows.

"You don't know what happened?" asked Twilight.

Her answer was Sorrows shaking her head.

Twilight sighed as she began to tell her tale. She told the young filly about Queen Chrysalis and how she attacked Canterlot along with her swarm of changelings. She got half way through the story when she saw that Sorrows was shaking and crying. It was then that she decided that she would hold off her story till later. "How about you tell me something about you." Twilight suggested.

Soaring Sorrows tried to think about what could she tell her new friend. Though her memory was fuzzy she could still remember some of her past. "Well the only thing I can tell you right know is what my cutie mark means." Sorrows said as she turned to show Twilight her cutie mark. It was a tear drop with a pear of angelic wings. "I was born with this cutie mark. Nopony knew what it meant until I was older. My horn would always start to glow when ever I there was a strong surge of sadness in the area. From what I've heard I can take some of that sadness and make it my own." Sorrows said. Twilight gasped upon hearing the filly's story. 'How can a little girl take on that amount of responsibility? How long have she been doing this?' Twilight thought to herself.

"Four months, ten days, and twelve minutes." Soaring Sorrows said as she yawned.

"What?" asked Twilight

"Four months, ten days, and twelve minutes. Thats how long I've been doing this." Soaring said as she pointed toward her horn just as it started to glow.

"How...how did you....?" Twilight was about to ask, until Sorrows interrupted her.

"Thats the answer to that question everypony asks when I tell them about my cutie mark." Soaring Sorrow said as she yawned yet again and her eyes started to close.

Twilight picked up the filly with her magic and placed her on her back. "Okay I think its time for you to head on to bed. And I promise first thing in the morning we'll find you you some loving parents." She said with a smile.

"Thats......good." Soaring Sorrows said weakly as she faded into dreamland.

Twilight chucked a bit as she tucked the filly into bed. She also began to let her mind wonder off. Things about where did this filly come from? Where did Pyxis go? And many other subjects. When Twilight started to get a headache she stopped thinking about what was going on. She decided that she would deal with this in the morning, but for now she was heading to the kitchen to grab some leftovers from last night. Though if she had stayed a bit longer she would have noticed the collar around Sorrows's neck and the soft glowing pink crystals embedded in it.

Author's Note:

Leave any comments and/or advice in the comment section below.