• Published 28th Oct 2013
  • 27,436 Views, 69 Comments

Once Upon A Fright - MerlosTheMad



Nightmare Night has once again come to Ponyville. Once again, everypony has fun for the night by getting scared; almost everypony, that is.

  • ...
13
 69
 27,436

Epilogue : The Hunters

Dear Princess Luna,

We write to inform that your hunch was correct, that a malicious spirit had moved into Ponyville's vicinity.

Last evening’s subsequent hunt resulted in the capture of a very interesting variation of Windigo. Rather than disharmony, it appeared to feed and grow off of the fear of ponies. It’s truly no small wonder that it feasted during Nightmare Night… What did surprise us, however, was the tenacity of its victims.

The two ponies in question were a couple known as Bon Bon and Lyra Heartstrings. We met them at our sister’s party last night, and are certain you met the unicorn mare yourself. You’ll be happy to know that they are safe, and the Windigo has been sealed. The mare’s memories have also been altered to obscure the isolated event, per the code.

We shall both continue to enforce the protection of Equestria from those that would do it harm, Princess. It is an honor to serve you.

Ever your faithful hunters,

Inkie and Blinkie Pie

Comments ( 25 )

So... they're basically the MIB?

3470685 Not quite... but not totally wrong. A better reference is how they address themselves to Luna in the epilogue.

3470699 I did enjoy reading it, but I think that the lack of knowledge about Inky and Blinky on my part prevented me from enjoying this to its fullest. I shall have to rectify that by reading the Hunters story when it comes out.

3471453

Hah, well, they were supposed to be sort of a surprise ending. I like to think deus ex machina can be done well. It seems I failed if you didn't quite enjoy them. :applejackunsure:

Their costume was a joke about 'The Shining' and I had hoped that their purpose was clear enough that folks would be more interested in them rather than confused by their sudden appearance at the end. I eluded to them returning a little and made it seem like just a joke (or thought I did) with Pinkie. Heh, ah well.

3471484 Ah, I have never seen "The Shining", that would explain some thing then.

Aww, they complimented Lyra and Bon Bon, rightly so too.:twilightsmile:

3471707

Indeed, it became their running gag. Again, I tried to elude heavily towards Inky and Blinky taking fun in 'pranking' people sort of like Pinkie.

:pinkiehappy:

Yes, Pinkie, you.

3472132

I take it you didn't like it then? :pinkiesad2:

3472619

Could you notify knighty about that for me? I have messaged them, but I haven't received feedback as of yet. Allegedly, my posts never appear on the feature board, despite traffic, and my updates also do not appear in people's feeds.

3476892

Thanks! :twilightsmile: Didn't expect the help, but it is greatly appreciated. If you poke in my SweetieBot chapter story you'll see literally dozens of complaints that no notification was received.

3481413 Hot damn merlos. Fim fic is punking you bad! XD

Why did you do this to me? WHY?!:fluttershbad:

3511835

Yay someone read the story! Didja like it? :pinkiecrazy:

3511889
I haven't read the whole thing yet, as I have other things to do, but what I've read so far is interesting.

3785168 There's a seapony Lyra meme?

3785295

Indeed, many. Google is your friend.

3785349 The My Little Pony Fan Wiki mentions it. I'm rather worried about the thing that was mentioned straight after that though. I mean I knew it would happen but I'd never come across that before.

Wow, it's like you've tried to include as many haunted house tropes in this as you can. I kept expecting the walls to start bleeding and have mysterious shapes reaching out of the television record player.

And yes, I can definitely see A Recipe For Sweet Music being the prequel to this. :pinkiesmile:

Also, this:

"Lyra, when you bought this place, did the real estate agent happen to mention that it was built on an ancient buffalo burial ground?" :twilightoops:

"Well, he did mention that it was 'rich in local history'... but I though he was just talking about the fact it used to be that insane asylum where all those murders happened years ago." :trixieshiftright:

"Lyraaaa!" :raritycry:

5727877

Aw man, all of that would have been great additions to the story, lol. I'm half tempted to edit it in.

I definitely was going for 'Classic horror' and Poltergeist was definitely a big influence and inspiration point for the story. ^^ I didn't wanna quite get too cliche with everything, but it's hard to say if I did, being the author. :twilightsheepish:

Either way neighbor I hope you liked it and thanks for dropping by! lol

5727897
I did like it, and there were some moments in the story that I found genuinely suspenseful and creepy.
You have my up-vote, my good wizard!

5727929

Aw, thanks. I'm almost at the triple digits. ^^

Pretty entertaining. :pinkiehappy:

I'm gonna go ahead and give this a thumbs down. Not because it's bad, but because the sudden shift from classic horror to referential comedy is just... too jarring. It goes from gritty and terrifying to cartoony and silly over the course of a few paragraphs. While I like both parts INDIVIDUALLY, they feel like Frankenstein's monster, glued together haphazardly like they are.

Login or register to comment