• Published 11th May 2013
  • 1,331 Views, 33 Comments

Grey Little Pony - Dusty Miller



The stray wants to belong, he wants to stay. The Nightmare invites him to play. He has never won a game. Much to his shame. If he rejects fame, who will remember his name. To her, he is merely, the prey. To him, her affection, is an obligation he ...

  • ...
6
 33
 1,331

Ah, Grasshopper

‘Master, do we seek victory in contention?’ -Disciple Caine

‘Seek rather not to contend.’ -Master Kan

‘But shall we not then be defeated?’ -Disciple Caine

‘We know that where there is no contention, there is neither defeat nor victory.

The supple willow does not contend against the storm, yet it survives.’ -Master Kan

Fluttershy was arranging vines in her garden. Grey walked up with two pumpkins, their stalks tied to the ends of a rope he had around his neck.

“Fluttershy I have something for you.”

“Thank you Grey, those are very nice.”

“No not the pumpkins, the pumpkins have magic in them from my boss so we can travel and get back before feeding time. But you must trust me.”

“I’m sorry, I do trust you but when you ask it like that it makes me a little nervous.

Grey set the pumpkins down and stomped on one of them. An oval purple portal appeared and Grey escorted Fluttershy through. At the last second, he remembered the other pumpkin. Grey stuck his hand through the portal from the other side and grabbed it.

They were in Canterlot. Not far from the castle, very close to the Royal Garden. Grey walked towards it with Fluttershy.

“I’m sorry Grey, but I don’t like surprises. I have unpleasant memories of this place; please take me home.”

“You must trust me. Luna told me to seek out a very important instructor here. She said that I am to have several mentors guide me on my journey and that most are getting on in years. He is my first martial art teacher besides herself. He is the wisest pony I have ever met. And it is so important that you meet him too. I don’t have money for presents. Please, this is something special for you. Um, although he can be a bit testy.”

“I’m sorry but the more you say, the more alarmed I become. Please, I want to go home.”

“Please Fluttershy, Luna hates granting favours. I did all this for you. I promise to take all this unpleasantness away from you. You will feel wonderful.”

They walked up to the wooden fence surrounding the Royal Canterlot Zoo where the old gardener was leaning, chewing on a straw.
"Master...?” Grey inquired.

“In the flesh. Well lookie here, the clumsy pony and the crazy pony.”

“Master please. You promised, I promised, and Fluttershy is already terrified.”

“Remember when we first met, crazy pony? I told you that I like to whistle while I work. Perhaps you know this tune?” The groundskeeper whistled. He made three chirps, then a single chirp. Four bluebirds flew down and settled on his straw hat.

Fluttershy lifted her head just enough to move her mane to see.

“Now if I change the first note a half octave up, I get this result.” The groundskeeper whistled again.

Two yellow birds with pink flight and tail feathers flew down and settled on his hat.

Fluttershy lifted her head high to see.

“I’m thinking of asking the princess to reclassify these as ‘Fluttershys’, what do you think?” He sighed, “The animals would like to apologise for their behaviour that night. You see, the Grand Galloping Gala is a very stressful night for them. Ponies out after dark, loud noises startling the animals out of their sleep, et cetera et cetera. Then they saw an opportunity to play a tease on a certain pegasus animal lover. Do you really think they allowed you to chase them through the castle, by accident, twice? They had a great time at your expense and now they would like to say sorry.”

Animals were gathering around. Fluttershy was her animal loving self. She talked to all who came close and accepted their apologies, saying it wasn’t necessary. A small monkey approached. Fluttershy talked to it as it climbed onto her back and tried working her wing. A giraffe came over and looked down. Fluttershy gently flapped her wings and rose slowly. The monkey jumped off her back. She rose to his height. “You are so handsome and the horns so cute.”

Grey's ears perked. “Handsome?!”

The gardener asked. “Are you jealous of Paul? How would you fight a giraffe, oh great and clumsy warrior?”

Fluttershy’s ear turned towards Grey.

“I’d fill him full of donuts and cupcakes until his belly touched the ground.”

“Why don’t you go over there and do your dance exercises while important animal experts discuss important zoological matters. And don’t trip over your hooves like last week.”

“Yes Master.”

“Everypony calls me Mr. Greenhooves. He has to call me Master. But you, you my dear, may call me Boothby.”

/]*[\

Back home, Fluttershy began the process of feeding the animals. They were late returning and the menagerie was hungry. She was distracted and apologetic to the animals. Grey hung around pawing the grass.

“I’m sorry, I didn't forget about you; would you like to stay for dinner?”

“That would be wonderful, the food looks so good, but it's the animals’ food and I can’t.”

“Are you planning to stand guard here Grey?” She smiled.

“No, I really have to get back to the palace.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t realise there was a price for your gift.” Fluttershy teased.

“No, no, that would be wrong, I just um, I’m clumsy with words too. Did I mention that my boss hates granting favours?”

“Are you asking for a reward for Luna’s favour?”

Grey’s ears drooped.

“But you do want something, why don’t you just ask?” Fluttershy hid her smile as she turned away from him back to the hungry animals.

“That would be improper. I mean I’m not scared of anything in the Everfree Forest but talking to the prettiest girl, your mane is extra pretty today, I mean every day. Why must this be so hard?”

Fluttershy put down the bag of food and hugged Grey, “I’m sorry, it’s my fault; I’ve never had a boyfriend I could play the teasing game with before. That was a wonderful gift. You have no idea how good it feels to be friends with the Canterlot animals.” She squeezed tight. “Thank you so much for such a thoughtful gift.”

With that Fluttershy grabbed Grey by the face and gave him a long kiss.

“Woo hoo!”

“That makes four times I have kissed you first, Sir Fearless. You owe me a lot of kisses, mister. And don’t go bragging to your friends.”

“Can I tell the Manticore? Were you teasing about the boyfriend part? Can I have one more kiss?”

Fluttershy gave Grey a small kiss and sent him on his way. “And leave my Manticore alone.”

/]*[\

The grasshopper was not impressed. Grey was pushing it from behind trying to make it hop. He would push gently and the grasshopper would not move only raise its back end.

“Fluttershy, you gotta see this. I was the best at getting them to hop the farthest.”

Grey pushed and the grasshopper stepped forward. “Come on come on, for Fluttershy.”

An icy chill crawled through Grey’s brain. Freeze! You are in danger of losing everything.

Grey looked at Fluttershy. She had her hooves in front of her face and she was mortified. “I’m sorry. You’re just like all of them. How could you hurt a living creature? I thought, I hoped, that you would be different. How could you?”

Grey practiced what he would say next in his head.

I have no intention of hurting the bug. I was just showing off, for you. You’re being irrational.
No, no, no. if you fight you will lose everything. Be supple like water, like Twilight, when she beat you. Look at her!

Grey softened, “I am so sorry. Please know that I would never hurt any living thing. I-I am different from the rest, I have learned my lesson. That makes me different. Please forgive me and I will tame every Everfree Forest creature and make them your pet.”

The grasshopper shrugged, jumped and flew over the bunny hedge.

Fluttershy said, “You will have to do better than that. You will have to try very hard, mister.”

Grey smirked, “I will do my best, with one exception, that flea behind your ear. Let me get that for you.”

“I’m sorry, did you just imply that I have fleas?”

Grey nibbled behind Fluttershy’s ear.

“Oh, I see, I’m sorry, I’ll give you just twenty minutes to stop that.”

Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie trotted and bounced over. "Fluttershy, we're all meeting at the cafe. Oh, what do we have here? Fluttershy's new pet?”

“I’m Fluttershy’s most favourite pet.”

“Sorry, but I can’t have favourites; you wouldn't even be in the top ten thousand if I did. I have my friends, all of Ponyville, Cloudsdale and Equestria. Then every creature ever, then you.”

“Ya, but I’m on the list. Best list ever.”

“You would be at the bottom of the list because you are Fluttershy’s least trained and worst behaved pet.” Twilight declared.

“Yes, but I have observed that girls like jerks, so I am the most jerkiest pony ever for Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy said 'grasshopper' and Grey rolled over like a dog, legs in the air, his tail flopping the ground.

Pinkie chirped, “That’s their safe word. If you guys ever want to borrow a liquorice whip, let me know.”

“Pinkie! Rarity would remind you of decorum. I think Fluttershy has this brute under control. Come along, time for tea.” Twilight and Pinkie walked away.

Grey held up a bunny for inspection. “Why do they all look at me like that?”

“They look at all of us like that. They think we have funny noses?”

“Bunny, did you just imply that my girl has a non-cute muzzle? I’ll have you know that her’s is the cutest nose in Equestria. Oh, it is on bunny, I shall battle you day and night for my girl’s honour.” Grey turned to Fluttershy, “You know I’m kidding, right?”

She smiled, “I’m sorry, but it seems you have already forgotten your promise. My self-image is not in jeopardy. And I would declare this mighty bunny victorious.”

Grey picked up a thin carrot and taped the bunny on the shoulders, “I hereby dub thee, ‘sir bunny’. Look at his big feet. If he was a puppy, I’d say he was going to grow up to be a big dog.”

“That’s his bread. His name is Black ‘n Tan and I am taking him home with me to protect me from rambunctious guard ponies.”

“Um, you know I’m jealous of all boys near you. I was very envious of Spike when he first arrived in Ponyville.”

Spike was strutting down the path on his way to meet the girls.

Fluttershy gushed, “Oh there he is, it’s Spike! Isn’t he handsome and so confident? Look at his proud belly.”

Grey snorted. He had his stomach and chest on the ground with his hooves dug in. his lower lip jutted out, ears perked forward. When Spike was in range Grey said, “Did I ever tell you about my first day at the Everfree Palace? Luna asked me what I would do if her manor was attacked by battle dragons. She was so impressed with my answer; she hired me on the spot.”

“I’m sorry but guard ponies do not tell lies.” She jabbed Greys ribs several times.

“Stop it, stop it. How’d you know I was ticklish there? First the grasshopper, then the bunny, now you. Save me Spike. I am defeated once again.”

Spike walked away with visions of battle dragons dancing in his head.

The bunny pasture became very quiet.