• Published 11th May 2013
  • 1,331 Views, 33 Comments

Grey Little Pony - Dusty Miller



The stray wants to belong, he wants to stay. The Nightmare invites him to play. He has never won a game. Much to his shame. If he rejects fame, who will remember his name. To her, he is merely, the prey. To him, her affection, is an obligation he ...

  • ...
6
 33
 1,331

The Least of Them

Chapter One: The Least of Them

The Way, at the beginning, is obscure. Even the initiatory steps are wreathed in mist. The heights toward which the path lead apparently are closed within clouds, which seem, from a perspective below them, beyond penetration and that is for the best, for to see too clearly what lies ahead would be altogether too intimidating. The sobering realizations come only in retrospect: the traveler on such a Way has left behind a familiar and comfortable place; he has entered a journey;
more challenging, more rewarding than ever he could have imagined at the start.
Further along he comes to see that his Way is to a destination still utterly unfathomable
yet intensely attractive to him.

—Sword and Brush-The Spirit of the Martial Arts: Dave Lowry.

His name was Dusty Miller. Now there were several others named Dusty, so he was just known as Grey.

The name suited him. Grey was the colour of his coat, his tail and his mane. He had nice blue eyes which seemed to contradict his grey colour.

He never wanted to stand out in a crowd or get attention. Grey would think to himself, those on pedestals tended to get knocked off; best to be inconspicuous and ordinary. Without a family, he had no social standing but it didn’t matter in a small town like Ponyville. He was the least of the earth ponies, just above donkey in his mind, and that was fine.

The teasing games played on him by his friends stung just a little. He could really do without the song The Old Grey Mare. He knew he was not old or a mare. But they were singing to him and about him and if he kept smiling and being positive it didn't sting, hardly at all. He knew he was being too sensitive. ‘Grey as a mule and mules don’t feel pain’. That was hurtful.

Grey enjoyed any game that involved running. Running and kicking a ball, running and chasing or just plain old racing. No complex rules or picky score keeping. Out in the fields, open skies and sunshine, kicking up your hooves, that was the life for a pony. His best day ever was the day teacher told the class that those picked last for games should be made team captains and do the choosing.

In the morning the town market would open. It’s always a nice stroll down the market street to see everyponies wears. Everything is colourful and made with care. Ponies would buy what they needed for the day and socialize. Everything a pony could want was found in the market.
Grey counted himself lucky that he didn’t need things. He had no place to put them and if he did, he would have to worry about them.

Food is extremely abundant in the valley. Fields of hay and pastures of grass on two sides of Ponyville. Pastures close to town belonged to pony families. They farm and harvest for the winter. Grey would just walk past the farms to the open fields if he was in the mood for hay. Like any pony, eat the grass you’re standing on. Sweet Apple Acres was on the other side of town and then the Everfree forest. In the winter Grey went hungry. Grey ate dry grass from under the snow and attended festivals and parties just for the food. It didn’t matter that the Town usually forgot to pay him. It had been so long now that Grey thought that the town staff would consider him rude for asking. He didn’t like being snapped at by ponies in authority and he would not beg. He had his pride, if nothing else.

Apples were a little different. The Apple family apples were famous across the land. If a pony wanted a basket of perfect Apple family apples it would cost eight bits. Imperfect or bruised apples are left on the nearest fence before being given to the livestock. All a pony has to do is walk up and eat one.

The sounds of the market woke Grey. He stood up simultaneously stretching and yawning. Then he walked from the field into town and the market square.
Grey thought to himself, Time to go check for free samples.
Grey had no problem with free samples, just no pity. Then he saw her. She was carrying a basket full of bunnies inspecting the carrot cart. It looked like she was trying to find the best of the best carrots for the bunnies.
All right Grey, stand tall, walk toward her in a straight line, maintain eye contact. Don’t act like a predator.
She saw him right away. So obvious. She held the bunnies’ basket in her mouth and stared at him with wide eyes. Grey walked very slowly. He took one more step and she took a step away from the cart. One more step forward and another step away. Grey lifted his hoof and she was gone in a flash.
Grey’s running team mates came over.
Ginger Red was the leader of the group, “Gotta tell ya buddy. We all saw that and we’re all embarrassed for ya.”
Grey’s ears drooped, “Thanks.”
Ginger said, “It looked like you were stalking her like a starving predator. I’ve seen dragons stomping through the forest with more subtlety than you.”
Kip Cat turned to Ginger, “You've never seen a dragon.”
“I just saw Grey scare Fluttershy like he was a dragon.”
Grey said, “Friends are supposed to have helpful and encouraging things to say.”
“Just statin’ a fact buddy. You know we’ve all been there. Trying to get close to Fluttershy and say hello before she runs off. It’s just that none of us have ever tried in the middle of the town square and failed so badly in front of everypony.”
“Again not helpful,” Gray said. And a little jealous.
“All right buddy, we’ll cheer you up. It’s almost suppertime what do you want to eat? Moping in the field is not an option.”
“I’m not very hungry.”
Ginger snapped back, “What did I just say about moping? How about some carrots?”
The other two snickered.
“Always the teasing game with you guys," Grey sighed.
Kip Cat interjected, “We spotted fresh apples on the Apple's fence closest to town. We’ll scarf down the best ones and head home.”
They did just that. They talked about racing and the condition of the racing tracts. Grey felt better. He knew that being with his friends and talking was much healthier than moping in the field.
Ginger Red asked, “You want to come over to my place after supper?
“My job starts soon.”
Kip criticized, “You have a weird job. It keeps you from training and you’re always tired on race day.”
“I like it. It gives me time to think,” Grey countered.
Ginger said, “Ya, think about Fluttershy and plan more accidental encounters. It’s unnatural for a pony to work at night.”
Grey sighed, “It’s fine. Everypony has their special talent, a job for every pony and a pony for every job etc. etc.”
Kip Cat and Carmel said their goodbyes and walked off towards their respective homes.
Ginger said, “I’d better get going too before I get in trouble. Eat some more you’ll never win a race or a game with your ribs showing through.”
“I’ve heard it all before. I’ve never won a major race or game anyway.”
As Ginger Red walked away he said, “No moping, enjoy the sunset.”
“Enjoy the sunset, Red.”
‘Enjoy the sunset’ is what ponies say and do in the evening. Everything is clean and put away by this time and the day is done. Ponies watch the sunset from their windows in their homes standing in the field or road. It is very relaxing to a pony. It ends a perfect day and gives a pony a good night’s sleep.
Grey had several favourite spots in the field beside town. Tonight felt like the small hill near the centre of the field. There were three ponies standing on the road close to field and one standing by herself a hundred lengths into the field. Grey could hear some of the louder windows and shutters creak open. All part of the routine. The sky overhead was darkening as the sun went behind a stand of trees at the end of the field. The sun was now safe to look at. There were no clouds and it made the light very orange. The orange light cut through the trees and the trees left long weird shadows on the town. The ponies turned different colours with the light.
Grey thought, ponies turn different colours in the sunset for a reason. And I would probably never figure it out. His coat always turned the same colour as the sunset. Not very interesting. Grey turned back to the sunset. His head was sinking with the sun. He knew that if his head touch the ground he would be asleep and in trouble. He stood up shook his mane and walked back to town.
The first thing Grey would do was to take out the flint and sparker and light a torch then light the street lamps. The street lamps weren’t for Grey but for anypony out visiting late needing some light to get home. Then came the street sweeping itself. He would start in the town square and work his way out; the cobble stone town square, then the streets, then the dirt and grass roads. He would inspect cobble stones for repair and the ground for ruts that would have to be filled in.
Then, empty the dust bins.
This gave Grey time to think. How can I impress her? How can I even get close to her?
Growing up Grey enjoyed the old stories and fables; ponytails.
What would they say? A heroic grand gesture? How? I couldn’t even get close to her.
Then let her come to you.
Grey’s last task. Put the broom and equipment away and blow out the street lamps.
Grey walked to the hill and watched the moon set. As the moon lowered Grey’s head lowered. When Grey’s head touched the ground he was asleep.

/]*[\

The noise of a ball bouncing in front of Grey’s nose woke him. “I’m asleep.”
Grey heard Kip Cat’s voice. “You’re always asleep. We have time for one game before we have to help set up for the festival.”
Grey opened his eyes and looked around. It was mid-morning. Ponies were in the field chasing balls.
“Give me a break Kip Cat, I worked all night.”
“You can nap in the afternoon before the festival like every other pony. We need one more for the team.” Kip replied.
Grey thought, one of the few nights of the year that I have off is also the shortest.
Kip seems to be getting a little more assertive. He’s the smallest and youngest in the group. Maybe he’s just growing into himself?
Great, another bossy unicorn.
Kip Cat said, “There is an important dignitary coming from Canterlot to help organize.”
“Let me guess, unicorn, right?”
“What?”
“You don’t want me; you want a player, somepony to fill a space. I’ve got something to do.”
“Nopony has ever seen you do anything,” answered Kip.
“By Kip.”
Grey walked away, stopping to take a drink at the water trough.
The most obvious place to start looking for Fluttershy was the bunny pasture. The bunny pasture was a nice hedged area full of grass and flowers. Grey walked in and looked around. Fluttershy must have been here already. There was lettuce and carrots all over the place. The bunnies had been fed. There were all kinds and colours of bunnies. They watched Grey as he moved to the middle of a large group of bunnies. Grey stood there. I will be your guardian. The bunnies slowly moved away from Grey. Great, even the bunnies are on to me. And why do they always look at me like that? Those leftover carrots look good. Grey’s stomach grumbled. Stealing from an animal was just not done. Besides Fluttershy isjust indifferent to me now. If she was mad at methe whole town would hate me.
Where next? The bird choir tree. No birds. No birds even in sight.
What’s that?
A balloon was landing in the town square.
Now that’s not something you see every day. Nothing else to do, might as well check it out.
A crowd was gathering. A new pony was introducing herself around. A green blob fell out of the balloon basket.
There’s Fluttershy! She’s distracted by all the commotion. An idea! Must move quickly. Grey ran to the broom cupboard and took out his last coin from its hiding place. He ran to the flower shop and put his coin on the counter.
“What will this buy me?”
Rose answered, “Any bouquet from that section. What kind would you like?”
“Um, pink and yellow.” Girls like flowers the same colour as themselves, right?
The floweriest wrapped the flowers and gave them to Grey. He ran back to the crowd, flowers in mouth.
Fluttershy was still there, awestruck by the blob, “A baby dragon! I’ve never seen a baby dragon before. He’s soooo cute. Oh. my, he talks, I didn't know dragons could talk, that’s just so incredibly wonderful, I just don’t even know what to say. And what do dragons talk about?” Fluttershy was gushing over the green blob.
Dragon, so that’s what that thing is.
The visiting dignitary pony picked up the dragon with her magic and put him on her back and started walking away. Fluttershy followed asking the dragon questions. She was going on about how cute every part of him was when they walked by Grey. He thrust out the bouquet as Fluttershy passed. Grey couldn’t say anything; his mouth was full of flowers. She didn’t notice him. She just kept going on about how cute and beautiful this baby dragon was and walked right by him without even noticing him.
Grey was devastated. That was his last coin. That was a heroic and grand gesture. He was spontaneous. Grey did everything right according to the old stories. He didn’t understand why nothing seemed to work.
Grey found a patch of grass next to a cottage. He sat down and ate the flowers. He looked at the half eaten stems.
Manure! I could have given the bouquet to that visiting pony. That would have been a nice gesture too.
Grey ate the rest of the stems and paper.

/]*[\

Later in the day it was time to help set up for the Summer Sun Celebration. Carrying tables is easy. Crouch, walk under the table, stand, and walk to where it’s needed.
Somepony shouted at Grey, “Look out for the door!” Bang! Okay, going through doors takes two ponies.
Table cloths, decorations and chairs came from homes and some from the town hall.
Ponies were bringing food and drinks. The sun was starting to set. The hall was filling up with ponies. The celebration was about to begin. All the younger ponies were going to a surprise party at the library. Grey stopped at a table and ate a couple of muffins. It had been months since he ate anything baked. Ponies near him raised their eyebrows' and looked down at Grey. It wasn’t time to eat yet. Grey didn’t care. He was leaving and he was not in any mood to explain his actions.
Grey found a nice spot to watch the sunset.
The moon should be very bright tonight. A full moon at its perigee, on the shortest night of the year. That’s pretty rare. Probably hasn’t happened in a thousand years.
Grey fell asleep before the full sunset.
The next morning Grey woke to the sound of cheering coming from the town square.
They’re still partying. That’s good; maybe there would be some leftovers to eat.
Grey walked into town. The square was full of ponies. It looked like all the ponies from Ponieville and the outlying area. Ponies in fancy dress Grey didn’t recognize. There was a stage set up with a podium on it. Grey was at the back of the crowd, he could see Princess Celestia herself and could just make out the visiting unicorn, the Mayor, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Fluttershy. The crowd cheered.
Grey asked the pony next to him, “What’s going on?”
“Be quiet and listen,” came her response.
Grey couldn’t make out everything that was being said. When the crowd applauded he stomped, when the crowd cheered he cheered for Fluttershy.
When it was over Grey listened to the conversations going on around him. Seems The Six had just defeated Nightmare Moon and saved Equestria!
What! And I slept through it? I should have been there. I should be protecting Fluttershy.
Doesn’t sound like she needs protecting does it?
Grey listened to many versions of what happened and finally piecing together the epic story.
Wow, one of the best ponytails I ever heard. It’s destined to be a legend like the old stories. And I know the ponies, The heroes of the story. The heroes of Equestria.
Well, you come from the same town.
The crowd was thinning out and there was a lot to clean up. Stage, banners, podium. Grey ignored what was on the ground. Then the clean-up from The Summer Sun Celebration. Ponies talked and gossiped while they worked. Grey always perked up his ears whenever somepony mentioned Fluttershy. He would pretend to be doing something and make his way over to eavesdrop on the conversation.
It was late afternoon when everything was put away. Grey wanted to go for a long run. It had been days since he had a good run. A few mouthfuls of grass and then running through the hills with the occasional ‘yea Fluttershy’!

/]*[\

Grey was in a bad mood that night at work. His thoughts were getting harsher.
You can’t ignore it any more.
Confound the confetti. Doesn’t anypony know how hard that stuff is to sweep up off cobblestones?
You need to stay up as long as you can anyway so you can sleep properly tomorrow.
What will the moon look like tonight?
Grey moved to the middle of the square.
Oh, the Mare in the Moon is gone. That’s kind of sad. She was always there on those nights when I was feeling alone. Oh well, a new moon to get used to. Being positive.
Everything put away, streetlamps blown out. Missed the moon set. Oh well watch the sunrise while finding a place to sleep.
The sun on Grey’s face woke him.
What’s the sun doing over there? Afternoon already! So hungry. Sleep cycle totally screwed up. Apple family apples are defiantly on the menu.
There was a long line of apple carts going back to Sweet Apple Acers from the orchard.
What is that green-purple blob doing?
Spike the baby dragon was examining apples from the cart he was riding in. After looking at an apple he would toss it over his shoulder.
Well obviously that fat dragon has never been hungry!
Grey ate a lot of apples that day. At first he went down the road toward the orchard eating rejected apples along the way until he caught up with ponies putting apples on the fence. Then back to where he first saw Spike. No more apples. Then back to the fence apples. Fresh bruises on Apple family apples were nothing.
A few days later Grey walked into town. The ponies were all abuzz about something. Grey listened to the conversations. Fluttershy and her friends were going to the Grand Galloping Gala at the Canterlot castle.
Wow! Well I guess it makes sense. They are the heroes of Equestria after all.
Grey helped the merchants pack up their carts and got ready for work.
Best part of this job, it gives me time to think.
Worst part of this job, it gives you time to think.
She’s going to the triple G. She might as well be royalty. She is so out of my league.
And what league would that be?
Is there a bottommost?
And what would they say to you?
Not for you Grey, not for you. She’s not meant for you. It’s a complete waste of time to think of her.
Bad pony.
Okay, think of something else.
Why aren’t you happy?
Oh yea that’s much better. I don’t want to be happy, giddy, or silly. I just, I just want this deep down hurt to go away.
You know what the Elderponies say; ‘If you’re sad for a month or two you go to the doctor, you just do’.
And what would I say? ‘I’m lovesick. Cure me’. I don’t want to be happy, silly or giddy; I just want to be level, balanced. Normal. Accepted as part of the herd. I just want to hear it once.
They think you’re slow in the head.
I’m not; I just need more time to get the answer or figure out the game. I am slow in the head.
There was a piece of confetti that Grey missed. It was between two cobblestones. The broom wouldn’t move it and the corner of his hoof couldn’t reach it. A big drop of water hit it.
That’s right. The Pegasi said there was rain booked from midnight to morning.
Grey rushed to get his equipment put away.
That’s good. The rain will take care of that confetti.
Grey stood in the middle of the square.
I like to work at night.
Nopony sees you working hard.
I like the rain.
Nopony can see you standing alone in the rain.
Nopony can see, nopony can see tears in the rain.

/]*[\

Weeks passed. Grey has become more despondent.He doesn't run with his friends or even talk to anypony. He does the least amount of work possible. He sleeps most of the time. Grey has stopped eating.
Why don’t you go up to the bulletin board and write your name on the birthday calendar?
Shut up! I enjoy a moment at every birthday party to imagine that it’s my party.
Every birthday party is partly yours? Selfish pony! You’ve been to less and less parties anyway. You interact with them less and less.
They know all my sleeping places.
Your hiding places. You don’t have friends, you have acquaintances. They tolerate your existence, nothing more.
Fluttershy, love?
You can’t miss something you never had. Fluttershy loves animals and you act like a predator around her.
If I could just sleep properly. I want to sleep more, longer without being disturbed. They don’t wake me up on purpose; different ponies find me in different places. They just come across me.

“O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space
—were it not that I have bad dreams.”
Hamlet: act II,scene II.

Nopony cares about what you’ve read. Doing things the same way and expecting different results is what, crazy. Well you are getting crazier.
When is something going to go my way? When will I win a race or a game? When do I get my story? Do something different and I fail. Why must I fail at everything? Why is my life such a struggle when others have it so easy?
Grey threw his broom across the square. His broom took a beating that night.
The next morning somepony was nudging Grey.
“Wake up homeless pony, you can’t sleep here.”
“What? Oh.”
Grey had fallen asleep on somepony’s lawn.
Is that what they think of me? Homeless? Ponies don’t need homes.
They think you’re a bum.
Yesterday’s race hadn’t helped. Grey had entered months ago and felt obligated to go. He was usually in the upper third at the finish. On his best day he was right behind Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Ginger Red, Carmel and Kip Kat. This day he gave up half way through the race and faked a limp as he walked across the finish line.
You didn’t even try.
What’s the point? I didn’t train for it; my heart just isn’t in it anymore. Will this hurt ever stop?
There is a way out. The path on top of the mountain. It gets very close to the edge.
That is a forbidden thought!
Still, just standing there, a gust of wind, the ground could give way all by itself. The hurt would end.
Grey, this is getting out of control. Something must change. Change isn’t going to happen by itself. Do something different.
Grey put his equipment in the cupboard, closed and latched the door. He looked at the latch for a moment turned and walked out of Ponyville.