• Published 17th May 2013
  • 11,613 Views, 439 Comments

The Incredibly Interesting Date with the Non-Winning Human - BronyWriter



Winningverse Cloud Kicker goes on a date with Non-Bronyverse TD

  • ...
54
 439
 11,613

Friendship is Magic

"I'm sorry, I just... I've had a bad day."

I ran a hand through my hair and took a deep breath while Twilight and Rarity gave me looks of sympathy. I had just gotten done ranting about everything that had happened to me in the past few days. Yeah, they knew, they went through it themselves, after all, but it was nice to have somebody to rant to.

I sighed and rubbed my temples. "How did you do it? I mean, I can't imagine that nothing has changed at all, but how did you guys handle what happened?"

The two of them exchanged an uneasy look before turning back to me. "Well, it wasn't exactly easy," said Rarity, "and I wouldn't exactly say that we've completely gotten over it yet."

Twilight nodded in response. "Yeah, and to be honest, it's not like nothing is going to change." Twilight and Rarity exchanged a brief, awkward sideways glance. "We're still good friends, TD. What we've gone through... well, something like this isn't going to weaken our friendship. If anything it's going to strengthen it. It's just going to take it in a slightly different direction than it would have gone otherwise, I think."

"We understand what you're going through, TD," Rarity agreed. "Yes, technically the only thing that really said that we were married was a piece of paper, but I think the worst part for us was the fact that we weren't in control and could have gone a lot farther."

"But you didn't," I muttered. "Cloud Kicker and I did. We made out and, honestly, can't be completely sure that that's not all we did. It's unlikely that we had sex, but the mere fact that it's still a possibility is really freaking me out, you know?" I sighed and thunked my head against the wall. "I mean, I do have a pony that I would go out with, and did kind of think about asking out. I know she'd understand, but I'd feel awkward asking her out for a long time."

"Well nopony expects you to recover right away, darling," said Rarity. "However..." Rarity pursed her lips and poked at her mane. "I think the proper way to get started is to talk to Cloud Kicker. I mean really have a deep heart-to-heart conversation with her about what happened. This avoiding each other isn't helping anypony, TD."

I bit my lip and uneasily scratched the back of my neck. "Well it's still a little--"

"Awkward, yes I know," said Rarity with a wave of her hoof. "But TD, how do you think that Twilight and I would have helped each other along if we hadn't interacted and talked about how we were feeling?" Rarity gave me a sympathetic smile and put a hoof on my leg. "I know you're not exactly the type of being that talks about his feelings all day, TD, and..." Rarity rolled her eyes. "Neither is Cloud Kicker, really, but I know that you will both do it if you feel that you need to. Right now, I think that you need to."

"Well..."

"You want to preserve your friendship, correct?"

"Of course I do!" I straightened up and crossed my arms. "I mean, she's been my best friend since I've gotten here. Teaching the kids is nice and all, but it's really good to have somebody my age to talk to about life and connect with that way." I grimaced and deeply exhaled. "That's what Cloud Kicker was for me."

Twilight gave me a sad smile of her own and took a step towards me. "TD, if I've learned anything during my time here in Ponyville, it's that friendships are worth fighting for. Your friendship with Cloud Kicker is important to you. Don't you think that it's worth fighting for?"

I sighed and rubbed my temples. I knew they were right. They had been at this sort of thing longer than I had. Not that I hadn't been making friends until I came to Ponyville, but things of this scale and weight were something that they had more experience dealing with. At this point I really had nothing else to lose. She didn't either, really. I slowly nodded and stood up. "Okay. Let's talk."

* * * *

So there we were. Cloud Kicker and I were sitting in the library for our talk. Nobody else was in the room with us, which I think we were both grateful for. We didn't need anybody else chiming in on our conversation, no matter how well-meaning their comments would be.

I took a deep breath. We had to get it started at some point, so now would be as good a time as any. "So let's just say it: it's never going to be the same again."

Cloud Kicker snorted and rolled her eyes. "You think? I had thought that was something we had already established, TD. I guess what we have to think about now is what exactly that means." She flattened her ears and looked sadly at me. "It's not over, is it?"

I widened my eyes and shook my head. "What? No! I don't want it to be over. I want to go back to our Friday drinking days where we talk and laugh and rant about life. No offense to Twilight and Co, but I can't exactly do that with any of them."

"So then do we...?" Cloud Kicker spun her hoof. "What exactly? I mean, we can't just forget about this, right?"

"Nope, and that's what's bothering me." I rubbed my temples and tried to think of what to say next. Truth be told, I was hoping for some magic cure-all set of words that would restore our relationship to what it was, but I couldn't think of anything. All I could really think to say was... "It'll never be the same." I looked up at her. "Yeah, two completely platonic friends got physically intimate and married because of something completely out of their control. Heck, it could have happened to any one of us. I could be having this conversation with Rainbow Dash right now, or something."

Cloud Kicker, despite the situation, smirked and chuckled quietly. "I can't imagine having a long heart-to-heart with Rainbow Dash, but I see your point."

"Yeah." I scratched the back of my head and cracked my neck to ease some of the tension I was feeling. "I guess the best thing to do to repair our relationship to the point to where we can get it back to what it used to be is talk about what is weirding us out. If we can do that, we can move past it, right?" Cloud Kicker nodded, and I returned it. "Okay. Well, I guess I can start. I think that what freaks me out the most is the fact that we did what we did and we weren't in control of anything. What's especially disturbing me is the fact that what we did when we weren't in control is exactly what we agreed we weren't going to do, and had built our relationship on confident that we weren't going to do..." I shrugged. "If that makes sense. A big draw for us was that we didn't have to do anything physical, then the first thing we do when we're not in control is something physical."

"Sounds like my perspective too," Cloud Kicker muttered. "I know you've heard me talk about all of the horseapples going on with my love life, Having a friend who isn't even remotely interested in that kind of thing that I can actually rant to?" She scoffed quietly and crossed her forelegs. "I needed that."

"And I needed a friend who I could connect to." I looked out in the direction of the Ponyville schoolhouse. "The kids are great, but a friend my age who I can connect to is something that I need, especially since I'm stuck here forever. We've already established that we're not going to stop being friends..." I frowned as a thought struck me. "Are we being dumb, stretching this out like this?"

Cloud Kicker titled her head. "What do you mean?"

"Well, what I mean is, we're being really dramatic about this whole thing, but... do we have to be? Yeah, this sucks, and I'm not downplaying the nature of what happened to us, but are we taking it too far?"

"So are you saying that we should just forget about it and move on?"

I shrug. "Not 'forget' per se, of course we can't do that, but let's be honest, we can't keep moping about this forever, right?" I looked at the ceiling thoughtfully and tapped my chin. "We both need a friend who we can rant to about stuff, right?" She nodded. "Isn't that exactly what we've been doing?"

Cloud Kicker blinked a few times and her jaw dropped slightly. "Is it?"

"I think so." I shrugged. "Put a cider in our hands and this is roughly the same sort of thing that we've been doing since we became friends. I mean, we both have a problem that is bothering us, and we both need somebody to rant to, so..." I motioned to the both of us. "Let's rant."

Cloud Kicker seemed confused by my idea for a few seconds, but a small smile crossed her face and she slowly nodded. "Okay. I'll start." She cleared her throat. "I hate the fact that nothing in my life seems to be going right right now. I mean, I get a good friend who is everything that I want in a platonic friend, then I'm worried that I'm going to lose it forever because of something outside of my control?! How unfair is that?!"

I snorted and rolled my eyes dramatically. "Yeah, well, welcome to my world. I got torn from all I knew and loved forever and I had to worry about losing my ideal platonic friend too. She was the closest thing that I had to one of my friends back home, and I'm scared that I lost that forever, just like everything else that I cared about."

"Not only that, but I made out with the guy!" Cloud Kicker groaned and facehooved. "And he wasn't even a good kisser. Believe me, I'm the kind of pony who can tell."

I mock-glared at her and crossed my arms. "Well, I'm sure he wasn't really all that into it, or he would have tried harder."

Cloud Kicker sighed in an imitation of a person who is being condescending. "I'd like to think that, but he was under the control of a mind-altering substance at the time. We were both totally into it. He just wasn't that good."

"Uh-huh."

I was about to retort, but I noticed something interesting. I had a smile on my face. Like, a legitimate happy smile like the kind that I used to have when I was around Cloud Kicker and we were doing stuff like this. It made me feel that... maybe nothing much of anything had changed. Her smile seemed to indicate the same thing if I was reading it right. I chuckled and shook my head. "You know, I think we're going to be okay. The marriage is going to get annulled, and we can look back and laugh at this..." My smile turned mischievous. "Mrs. Cloud Powell."

Cloud Kicker groaned and facehooved. "I never thought that I would ever be called that when I met you. That's another thing to rant about!"

And rant we did. It went on for hours; the two of us just ranting and raving about everything that we were feeling about everything that had happened since we woke up married. But you know something? It felt good. It felt like maybe everything would go back to how it was before. I don't think that we would ever completely get used to it or ever really make it a running joke, but laughing and ranting about it took some of the badness away from it.

Maybe everything wouldn't be so bad after all as long as Cloud Kicker and I could rant and complain to each other. Everybody needs a friend like that.

Comments ( 44 )

Nice ending.

3647328
Fucking Trolls....



(P.S. If you tell everyone now, they'll expect it. Wait a few months and put it on one of the blogs that are only passingly related to the TD-verse. THEN they'll be trolled better...

You can see why I was apart of the Spanish Inquisition now, right? Because NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!)

Very nice, NOW GET BACK TO WORK WORDSLAVE!

Seriously, I enjoyed following this.:pinkiesmile:

Bravo, good sir, bravo.
derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTIvMTAvMTUvMDZfMjlfMzdfNTM5XzEyMzM0OF9fVU5PUFRfXyJdXQ/123348__safe_twilight-sparkle_animated_clapping_citizen-kane_orson-welles_applause.gif.gif

All this started because they found someone... pony to rant about things with... and it ended in the same manner.

That, mares and gentlecolts, is a (almost) perfect full circle.

Not a bad ending. But I suppose there are not too many other ways it could have gone without being a bad ending. So nice.

I still can't help but think of a situation a friend and I were in in Saints Row the Third... We both ran out of the safe house butt naked and my only response was: "Uhhh... :rainbowderp:"

His was: "Don't make this awkward."

Words of wisdom right there. It's only awkward if you make it awkward.

"Maybe everything wouldn't be so bad after all..."

NO DON'T SAY THAT! The opposite thing always happens!

And we're still left wondering who that certain somepony is that TD would actually ask out would be. Curses!

In any case, very nice work.

3647805 Don't worry. It will be answered.

Maybe everything wouldn't be so bad after all as long as Cloud Kicker and I could rant and complain to each other. Everybody needs a friend like that.

I am quite happy with this. :twilightsmile:
Very good work. But yet you never answer who the special pony he might ask out is. :facehoof:
You must enjoy torturing people with that.

3648192 1. Why yes, yes I do.

2. I will answer it, though.

Cloud Powell is a thing now.
It's my headcanon for CK.
And there's nothing you or Chengar can do about it.
:trollestia:

3648287 Not even revealing who he's actually going to marry?

3648293
Nope. This is it.

Truthfully, I actually kind of like not knowing. To me, it isn't something totally mecessary to the story. However, if it is to be made so, it won't detract at all from my experience.

3648439 Well I wouldn't reveal it for this story. This story is over. I meant for the canon story.

this is the reason i wait to upvote before i upvoted you had 666 up votes

3648509
I can't say I've read much else in the TDverse, so it's unlikely I'd ever find out.
Whelp, that's my loss.

3648623 Just this and the original?

Maybe everything wouldn't be so bad after all

Hmmm i think i feel the universe wanting to troll right now. Never say this you're only setting yourself up, like putting a big, bright sign saying " Hey screw me over!!" great story by the way i'm really liking it so far.
~ Techsol

3648983 So far? The story's over. You want more read one of the other 10 TD stories.

3648667
...I think this is it. I looked at "No. I'm Not a Brony..." et cetera, but I never really read it. I've considered it, however.

3649600 So you're not even 100% sure of who TD even is really.

Nice ending!

I like to think that the other TD stories are in parallel universes except for the sequels!

3649674
Nerp. Very little, except what this story shows. Seems to be a decent man. If I'm correct, he's a little like an impulsive chipmunk: reckless, loyal and somewhat of a paranoid shadow on the face of the planet.

... I just realized that I have a decent-sized mess of your fics in my Faves. It's high time I followed you.

Someone (anyone, but preferably BronyWriter) should make TD verses timeline thingy... (Would maybe look more random than the semi official LoZ timeline.)
Meh, I'll make one tomorrow if I still remember.

I'm actually kind of disappointed it ended this way. It actually feels really abrupt.

In the end,They STILL act like a old married couple

3648293 because it's not obvious who it is :twilightsmile:

3650165 Better abrupt than drawn-out to get to a conclusion we knew was coming anyway.

3649819 Then draw Doc Brown next to it like in the second BTTF movie saying whatever line he said in the scene where he draws out the timeline.

Oh thank God, closure. I hate stories that never end and just sit there staring at me in my to read pile like a angry nun in a camp chair next to a fire eating a smoore and shooting jack Daniels while calling me a queer.


And that's enough Nyquil for me. Stupid flu

I liked the story, but since this is how the story ended, isnt the "romance" tag wildly inaccurate?

3647328
I've yet to read the series this touches on and even I now ship it.

Nice story you have there. I like the relationship between Cloud Kicker and TD. It is good enough to even survive an accidental love poisoning.
Good one. :twilightsmile:

Dragon san:moustache:

It could be better.
Not your best work.:fluttershbad:

3647328
Ridiculous OOC Alt-ending:
"He wasn't even that good a kisser!"
"Oh really? Well I'm sure if he had been into it, he would have tried harder."
"Well, I don't kno-"
Suddenly getting the feeling I'd regret this later, I grabbed her fuzzy cheeks and mashed my face against hers.
*One hour later*
"So, still think that friend can't kiss?" Cloud KIcker stared at me, her eyes wide and both of us breathing heavily. A sudden predatory grin covered her face and she leaped on me, pushing the couch over and causing us to roll off the back of it.
*LATER STILL*

Use your own bloody imagination. I'm going to go play a game now.

Don't believe your bull.

Comment posted by rikithemonk deleted Jun 5th, 2018

Eh.... while I did love the dynamic between TD and Cloud Kicker, the conflict part just felt incredibly over blown and melodramatic. Oh no, when under a mind altering spell they signed a piece of paper and then did nothing else, and yet somehow it's being treated as this massive deal that will change everything in how ponies look at each other and alter relationships. I don't get it. Nothing actually happened, now the ones who did actually sleep together, that might be a bit easier to see that being an issue, but even then, if nopony actually remembers anything about what happened, and there are no actual effects from it, does it really matter?

But for most? Not seeing the issue as being as bad as the story was playing it up as. Seems more the type of things they just get the marriage contracts rendered null and void (And really, the fact these were done under an altered mental state already renders them as such regardless of any regular annulment processes) and there is a town wide understanding of 'let us never speak of this again.'

10289648
Eh, I dunno. If I woke up one morning legally married to my best friend, that would freak me out, regardless of if we had done anything. It wouldn't be bad forever, but it would definitely be awkward for a bit right afterwards.

Login or register to comment