• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 4,327 Views, 113 Comments

An Unexpected Party - Gallifrey



It is Celestia’s 5000th birthday, and the Mane Six and Luna throw her a party she will never forget

  • ...
2
 113
 4,327

Silver and Gold

An Unexpected Party

by Gallifrey

Chapter Twelve

Silver and Gold

Celestia poked her head out of the pavilion; Luna and Twilight had been gone a while now, she wasn’t worried about them, but she did miss their company. Something in the sky caught her attention, she looked up, smiled and drew her head back in. Fluttershy smiled at her from across the room, she was playing slower music now, and conducting an orchestra of birds with a look of pure delight on her butterscotch face.

Celestia looked around as she peeled a banana with her magic and started eating it. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were slow dancing together, surprisingly gracefully to Celestia’s eyes. She smiled: she thought they looked cute, and made a mental note to ask Twilight what was going on between those two sometime. She was sure they had disappeared for a short while earlier, before Twilight and Luna left. Rarity and Pinkie were sitting down a short distance from Celestia, taking a short break. It was always a sign of a good party if even the pink party pony got worn out by it every so often. As Pinkie and Rarity got up to talk to Fluttershy, the entrance of the tent ruffled as Twilight and Luna returned. Celestia trotted over to them, levitating two mugs of cider as she went.

“Ah, girls, I was beginning to think you left us for more concupiscent activities,” said Celestia slyly to them. Twilight’s face flushed bright red, but Luna was far too used to her sister’s teasing to care.

“Play nice Celly,” she said, in a slightly bored voice, “you’re embarrassing her.”

Celestia looked at Twilight’s face.

“Sorry Twilight,” she said sincerely, though a shadow of a grin remained on her face, “you have been gone long though.” She handed them a mug each, full of zap apple cider. Luna sniffed it tentatively, then sipped. Her eyes lit up and she drank some more.

“Yes, Luna and I were talking at the dolphin statue.”

“Quite understandable, it seems as though you have helped calm her nerves well,” she said, looking at Luna, who was eagerly lapping up her cider. The white alicorn laughed.

“What?” asked Luna.

“Nothing Lunes,” she said gently.

Fluttershy picked up a new record to put on the player: it was a waltz. A fitting last song she thought. She turned to the birds around her.

“Is everyone ready?” she asked kindly. The birds around her nodded in unison.

“Excellent - a one, a two, a one, two, three…”

Celestia looked towards Luna as the song came on, a plan formulating in her head.

“Do you remember this one Luna?”

“Huh?” She was about to take a huge bite of cake, but paused, ears perking up, listening.

“All those long years ago? On every Hearth’s Warming Eve? When we used to dance together?”

Luna actually paid attention to what was being played. It was like flying back through time, to those ancient days, thousands of years ago.

“Yes,” she said distantly, “yes, we do. My, that was so long ago.”

“Would you care to join me?”

“But of course, sister.”

Celestia and Luna took to the dance floor, as Applejack and Rainbow retired. The goddess alicorns rose on their hind legs and pressed their forehooves together as they started to dance. The others gathered around Fluttershy as they watched, Pinkie prepared with a big bag of popcorn.

Their dancing was complex and graceful, and transcended any dancing a mortal pony could ever hope to achieve. Celestia decided to use magic to lower the huge tent and cast it to one side, so that Celestia and Luna were dancing under starlight. Luna’s mane sparkled like the sky above, while Celestia’s mane glowed faintly in a similar fashion to the aurora above. Five of the six ponies watching looked up at the sky in awe. Twilight meanwhile was looking curiously at the Princesses’ horns. Celestia’s was shining with golden light, and Luna’s was silver. As they continued to dance, more as one soul in two bodies than two separate ponies, orbs of gold and silver light left the horns and ascended high into the sky, very high. Right up to the aurorae itself, and melting into their own glowing metallic bands of light. As the song came to an end, the Princesses looked up, apparently unaware of the spectacle they had performed. The others hurried over to them. Teal eyes met magenta, both welling up with tears. They embraced each other tightly.

“You have no idea how much I’ve missed that,” murmured Celestia and Luna at the same time. They both chuckled, wiping their eyes.

“What happened?” asked Twilight, “How did you do that?”

“The mysteries of magic are lost even unto us, Twilight Sparkle,” said Luna solemnly and importantly.

“Don’t mind her,” said Celestia, “It is because we both command cosmic entities, and in much the same way as the eclipse was magical because of the Sun and Moon’s interaction, so were we then in our dance.”

“Ah’ll never understand what them three go on about,” muttered Applejack to Rainbow, looking at Celestia, Luna and Twilight.

“S’magic, duh!”

Rarity got a picnic blanket and unfurled it on the grass before them. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy brought over some more cake, while Applejack and Rainbow got some more cider. Celestia decided to lie on her back, looking up at the sky; the others followed suit, snuggling up to one another as they gazed up, chatting idly, eating and drinking in sublime happiness, and generally unwinding. The evening was warm and calm, much like the atmosphere between all the ponies, all revelling in the strong bonds of friendship they shared.

Twilight was next to Celestia, and as they both looked up at the heavens, Celestia said:

“Thank you for today Twilight Sparkle, it has been the best birthday I can remember.”

Twilight felt pride rush up inside her at the praise, which meant so much coming from her Princess, her mentor, her friend.

“It’s the least I could do, it’s been quite an eventful day hasn’t it?”

“It has Twilight, the best day I’ve had in a long, long time.”

“I’m so glad to hear that,” said Twilight contentedly, nuzzling up to her, “happy birthday Princess.”

“Thank you so much,” whispered Celestia, nuzzling her in return, eyes closed in simple joy, “my faithful student.”

The End

A huge thank you for everypony who read this. And an extra special thank you for those who enjoyed it! <3

Thank you Alex and Reevsie for your support, feedback and myriad corrections. <3

Comments ( 48 )

I'm glad I tacked this. It was a nice little read, nothing too grand or amazing, but that's what made it really good. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work :raritywink:

255674
Thank you! :twilightsmile:
That's what I was going for to be honest, so I'm very glad you like it for what it is :pinkiehappy:

That was brilliant, I really enjoyed this story :heart:

Now, of course, one must think: When's Luna's birthday?

255795

Winter Solstice.

lovely, nice, and leaves you feeling good. Extremely enjoyable read!

255982

I'm very glad you liked it! :yay:

Very nice story with a great ending. Thumbs up (no more 5 stars bah)

This was very nice. Please write more stories.

verry well written.... i think u should submit this to EQD it should pass through there filters with ease...:twilightsmile:

257983
Thanks! I'll get round to it when I have some ideas don't worry :twilightsmile:

258262
A friend is currently proof reading it and stuff, once she's done that, I'll submit it :twilightsmile:

258347

i think it doesnt need any proof reading...... but it doesnt hurt to have some one go over it again ..... some times my eyes miss things :twilightblush:

Make one about Luna's birthday!! :pinkiegasp:

259045

I would but it'd kinda be the same thing just substituting the name Celestia with Luna. I wanna mix it up in the next thing I write, probably some AppleDash or something :rainbowderp::ajsmug:

259121 Hmmmm.... You could make it different. Somehow. It would be amazing :raritystarry:

259168
If I get a sudden good idea, I may write a short bit about it. :twilightsmile:

258651
EqD got back to me, they said it was alright, but not good enough to be featured, which is what I expected. :applejackunsure: I wrote this because I enjoyed it after all, not so I could be on EqD.

301843

i feel insulted that they said is good enough to be featured:twilightoops:

but that EQD for ya :facehoof:

WEEEEEE! Neds moar alcohol!!11!

loller. Awesome story. Full of lols.

465289

Thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying it, I hope you enjoy the rest too! :twilightsmile:

Just finished it.
Absolutely fantastic. :pinkiehappy:

475001
Thank you so much, kind sir! :D :pinkiehappy:

Each chapter was like a delicious slice of life. Together they make one wonderful pie.

489020

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

Pretty easy to read, and I couldn't stop but just being happy after reading this!
Very well written! Awesome story!! :scootangel:

508947

That was precisely my aim :pinkiehappy:
I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

:heart: Brings tears to eyes.

649632
Thank you very much for your kind words. :twilightsmile:

690542
I know! :pinkiehappy: Conicer drew it for me, he is super awesome! :)

715640

Indeed I did mean that, thanks for pointing it out. :twilightsmile:
Glad you're enjoying it too. :raritystarry:

A good story, with a lovely ending. A bit simple in prose at times, amongst other minor issues, but overall a fun read. Good job.

793502

I'll leave that up for your imagination to decide. :3

Always nice to have a fic like this to read. Straightforward and to the point. Overall it was a sweet read and all the characters are faithful to the source. Good job mate! :twilightsmile:

I don't know if this is where you got it, but the title, An Unexpected Party is the name of the first chapter of The Hobbit.

This was a very lovely little read. It's nice to find a story with no real conflict but still have that sweet, slice-of-life climax. It was very heartwarming and touching, and had just the right amount of silliness to make it all the better. Well done. :)

1520703

I'm British, where we spell words correctly. :P

1520713
That is a genius comeback, my good sir. I like you a lot already. :pinkiehappy://dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Rainbow_dealwithit.png

1559498
THOSE CHANGES CONFUSE ME, DAMNIT!! :facehoof:
I never know if it's a British thing or an actual mistake, so I always just say it.

(Open the door)
(Get on the floor)
(Everybody walk the dinosaur)

have to admit feels nice to read a nice good story without a lot of conflict, i give this 5 out of 5 twilights

:twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish::twilightsheepish:

3082129
Five Twilights? Not bad for my first story. :rainbowkiss:

3083003 I had a feeling it was your first. It just looks like a first story to me.

Also, it wasn't in my fave list before, for some reason, so I added it in. Took me 'til now to read it, though.

Login or register to comment