• Published 9th Feb 2012
  • 4,327 Views, 113 Comments

An Unexpected Party - Gallifrey



It is Celestia’s 5000th birthday, and the Mane Six and Luna throw her a party she will never forget

  • ...
2
 113
 4,327

Rainbows and Cupcakes

An Unexpected Party

by Gallifrey

Chapter Two

Rainbows and Cupcakes

Twilight awoke mid-morning the next day, to a loud crashing sound. She sat up to see a huge pile of books in the centre of the room that was speaking with a muffled voice.

“It’s cool! It’s cool! I totally meant to do that!”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shouted, “What have I told you about using the door? Not the windows!”

“Pffft, doors are for chumps,” the pile of books said, “windows are where it’s at ya know?”

Twilight just sighed as a knock on her door diverted her attention.

“Er, Twilight?” came a voice, “You okay? I heard a crash and-- don’t tell me it was Dash again?”

“Yeah, sorry about that Spike,” said Rainbow, her head popping out from the pile, a book balanced on her head.

“That’s the third time this month!” Spike complained as he walked into the room.

“I can tidy it up for you if you want?” Rainbow offered.

“Nah, it’s okay, I got this,” said Spike.

“Thanks Spike; hey, Twilight, you wanna grab some breakfast at Sugar Cube Corner? I thought we could catch up, haven’t seen ya much recently.”

“I’d like that,” said Twilight, her stomach rumbling, “we can say hi to Pinkie too.”

“Hey, yeah, that’d be cool,” said Rainbow enthusiastically.

“Just give me a few minutes to make my mane look presentable,” she chuckled, looking at her tangles in the mirror behind her desk.

“Sure thing, I’ll do a few tricks while I wait.”

Outside this time?” asked Twilight, remembering the last time Rainbow tried to perform a trick inside. It was at Applejack’s house, and she had attempted to do a barrel roll, only to end up faceplanting into an apple pie. It was an amusing memory for all, except for Rainbow herself, who hated having it brought up.

“Hey,” she said, with pretend seriousness, “shush.” Then she grinned, “See ya in a few minutes.”

She spread her cyan blue wings, and before Twilight could say anything to stop her, she bolted out of the window, leaving a multihued trail behind her. Twilight rolled her eyes.

“She’ll never change,” she said to Spike.

“Dash is Dash, and she always will be,” returned Spike, with books in his arms.

------------

Rainbow Dash soared through the air.

This was what makes life worth living, she thought. The exhilarating feel of the mild morning air over her wings, in her mane, was… well, awesome! She descended and hovered for a minute to look over Ponyville.

It was a beautiful summer’s day; there was hardly a cloud in the sky, Rainbow had made sure of that. Down below her, she could see ponies going about their daily business. In the park, Lyra and Bon-Bon were sitting on a bench - Lyra in that odd way that she did, eating a cookie. Not far from them, Fluttershy was leading a mother duck and her ducklings to the pond, talking to them very gently. Rainbow flew a little higher, trying to see Sweet Apple Acres over the tops of the buildings. It was too far to tell, but she was sure she could see a red smudge that she supposed was Big Macintosh, working hard in the fields.

“Heyyyyyy Rainbow Daaash!” came a familiar voice from near her.

“Heya Derpy, whatcha up to?” asked Rainbow.

The cross-eyed blue mare drifted lazily over to her.

“I’m delivering the mail!” said Derpy happily, one amber eye on Dash, the other seemed to be looking at a small cloud to Rainbow’s left.

“Is that why I got Cupcake Monthly instead of Young Fliers Weekly this morning?”

“Huh?” said Derpy, as she pulled out a long piece of paper from a satchel in her bag and looked at it closely, face screwed up in concentration.

“Oh muffins!” she cried, “I’m so sorry Rainbow Dash!” She hung her head.

“Hey, it’s okay,” said Rainbow, “I think I know the pony it was delivered to.”

“Y-you dooo? Oh goodie! I better be off Rainbow, I got a lot of letters to deliver.”

“Okie dae, catch ya later Derpy!”

“Bye Raiiinbowww Dash!” yelled Derpy, flying away, waving excitedly.

“Derpy! Look where you’re going, you’re gonna--”

“Oomph!” huffed the poor blue pegasus as she flew into one of Rarity’s windows at Carousel Boutique.

“Goodness, is she alright?” asked Twilight from down below.

“Ah, you’re ready,” said Rainbow, diving and landing next to her. “She’ll be fine, don’t worry, it’s not like she damaged the town hall again is it?”

“About that: how did that get fixed when Applejack never brought any prize money home?”

“I think…” said Rainbow, thinking, “oh yeah! I thought Big Macintosh went out to Appleloosa to sell the good cider that Flimm and Flamm left behind, he gave all the profits to fix up the hall.”

“What did they do with the bad cider?”

“Dunno, buried it probably, besides, none of it compares to the real Apple family cider,” said Rainbow, licking her lips. Twilight just rolled her eyes.
By the time they reached Sugar Cube Corner, they were both very hungry. They went into the shop and walked up to the counter, but nopony was there.

“Where is everypony?” asked Rainbow.

Something fell from above; it was bright pink, fell behind the counter and then immediately burst up again.

“Hey Dashie! Hey Twilight!” Pinkie said with a wide smile, “What d’ya want, what d’ya want, huh huh huh? We have loads of stuff!” she said excitedly, bouncing around them. “We got doughnuts, nonuts, ice cream, spice cream, toffee apples, coffee apples--“

“Pinkie--” Twilight began.

“Waffles, marshmallows, milkshakes, muffins, cinnamon pies, candy canes, chimmycherrys… Or is that cherrychanga? What do you think Twilight? Chimmycherry? Or cherrychanga? Chimmycherry? Or cherrychanga?”

“Pinkie--”

“OOOOH!” Pinkie squealed, “I almost forgot! CUPCAKES! Cupcakes, so sweet and tasty cupcakes, don’t be too hasty cupcakes--”

“PINKIE!” Twilight and Rainbow yelled in unison.

“Yes?” she said, disappearing and instantly reappearing at the counter.

“I would like an apple waffle and a strawberry milkshake please,” said Twilight.

“I’ll try out one of these chimmycherrys of yours Pinkie,” said Dash.

“Cherrychanga!” said Pinkie.

“Whatever, put lots of chocolate sauce on it too, and could I also have a double chocolate milkshake, with a scoop of chocolate ice cream in it?”

“Great idea Dashie! More interesting than Miss Boring Pants over there.”

“Hey!” said Twilight. “Erm, I’ll have a cupcake too… with extra sprinkles.”

“That was good Twilight!” Pinkie praised, “Soon you’ll be super-duper sprinkly like me and Rainbow!”

“Er, sure.”

Pinkie bounded around behind the counter, putting waffles in the oven, mashing up cherries like a madmare, blending chocolate milkshakes, getting out tortilla wraps.

“So, Pinkamena,” said Twilight slyly, as she and Rainbow sat at a table near the counter, “how are you?”

Pinkie stopped in the air midbounce.

“Pinkamena?” said Rainbow, confused.

“Who told you that?” asked Pinkie, still in midair, with one eyebrow raised.

“Princess Luna told me last night.”

Pinkie finally fell to the floor.

“How does she know my real name?”

“Well she is an immortal goddess Pinkie, I expect she knows more about us than we do,” said Twilight.

“It was still sneaky sneaky of her to be telling somepony my real name. But oh well! Breakfast time!”

She splattered mashed cherries all over the tortilla wrap and threw it on a frying pan.

“Back up, back up,” said Rainbow, “the Princess spoke to you last night?”

“Yes Rainbow she did; in fact, she has asked for all our help in--”

“BREAKFAST!” squealed Pinke, setting empty plates and glasses in front of them.

“Pinkie,” said Rainbow, looking at her, “there’s no food on them.”

“Sure there is, silly,” said Pinkie.

Rainbow looked down again to see her breakfast in front of her.

“What in Equestria?” said Twilight, then she remembered that this was Pinkie Pie they were dealing with.

“What does the Princess want our help in Twilight?” asked Pinkie.

“Well, you have to keep this quiet,” said Twilight.

“Gotcha, hushy hush hush,” whispered Pinkie, with a hoof over her mouth.

“In two weeks it’s Princess Celestia’s birthday.”

“She has birthdays?” said Rainbow.

“That’s what I thought, but apparently so. Luna has asked for us to organise a party for her.”

At the word party, Pinkie’s ears perked up.

“Party?! For the Princess? Oooooh, that sounds like fun Twilight!”

“Yes Pinkie, I was hoping you could help organise it.”

“Oh boy! I’m gonna throw her the bestest party in all of Equestria!”

“It won’t be a big party Pinkie,” said Twilight, “just us six and the two Princesses.”

“No problem, it’ll still be a super fun party!”

She clapped her hooves together excitedly.

“What can I do to help, Twilight?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Hmmm, I thought you could so some kind of aerial display, perhaps you could get the Wonderbolts to join you?”

“Are you crazy?” said Rainbow, “I can’t just walk up to those guys and ask them a favour!”

“Why not?” said Pinkie, “You saved their lives remember? Surely they won’t mind doing something in return for you.”

Rainbow looked terrified at the thought, but swallowed and gulped out: “I-I’ll try.”

“Good,” said Twilight, “you’ll make a good impression as well - that just leaves AJ, Rarity and Fluttershy, what could they help with?”

“That’s easy,” said Pinkie, “Applejack can provide the cider and other applely things, Rarity can make the dresses, and Fluttershy can do the music, you know, with the animals, as long as the animals don’t all run away from her like last time…”

“Yeah, that didn’t end well,” said Rainbow, remembering the disaster of a night that was the Gala.

“Oooh, if we all work together, this will be a really great party for the Princess!” cried Twilight happily.

“Sure will,” said Rainbow, snapping up the last of her cherrychanga, “this stuff is great Pinkie, I’ll have to drop by again sometime for another. I’ll bring your copy of Cupcake Monthly too.”

“Come in anytime Dashie,” said Pinkie, “and we can play swapsies of magazines, only when there’s an open sign on the door though, otherwise you’ll be knocking like KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK and that would be silly because nopony will hear your knock knocking.”

“Sure thing Pinkie,” said Rainbow, smiling.

“Thank you for a lovely breakfast,” said Twilight, motioning to leave. She had a lot to do today.

“No problem, see you soon!”

“Yeah, see ya later Pinkie!” said Rainbow.

“Bye girls!”