• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,129 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,129

PreviousChapters Next
A New Awakening

The Void shifted, moved, and wavered. It normally had no color, it simply was. Oh sometimes you thought of the Void as something blacker than night, or with a white boarder, or red when you were in pain, but normally it held none of these things. The Void still had form though, and that form was being pressed inward by something, something powerful, which slowly drew you out of it your mind awakening to a world that had changed on a fundamental level.

The first way was that you could...'taste' the world now. The numbers that made everything up were revealed to you with some new senses, and more than that, you didn't have to open your eyes for that. The instant your mind awakened you senses expanded outward, and you noticed the three bundles of numbers around you. You looked at them with these new senses, knowing them for Luna, Celestia and Cadence.

Within a heartbeat though, you knew something was wrong. In the TARDIS you'd been able to only sense a few yards around you. Now however, your bubble of awareness began to grow, rippling outward, and it was hard to focus on it, hard to stop it. Your power grew out with it, and while you were holding it off, you knew that at any moment a stray thought could slip into your mind, and you could hurt someone.

“Open your eyes,” ordered a familiar voice, as the numbers that were Luna moved towards you, becoming a weight on your chest. You tried to obey, if only for her friendship, but your mind, it refused to to do so. Your brain wouldn't work right, the order would never reach your eyelids.

“OPEN YOUR EYES!!!” cried out a Voice, that held the power of Command, the power of the Royal Sisters of Canterlot. That Voice, so close to you, penetrated deep down into who you were now, and you could do not but follow that command, your eyes popping open to stare directly into the face of the Moon Goddess.

The moment your eyes opened, you found those pools of starlight burning into your brain. The orbs' glowed so brightly, it was blinding, but the command of the Voice would not let you close them, as that glow bore down into your mind, and slowly punctured the balloon of your consciousness, the sphere of aware deflating, until it at last came back within you. Dimly you still perceived the numbers that were reality, but now it was only in the back of your mind.

“Are you alright now?” asked the gentle voice of Luna, as she flapped her wings and removed herself from you bed. It took you a few seconds to process the question, as your mind slowly resolved everything back to something your could understand. But at last, you were within yourself again, and rose, nodding as you looked into the Princesses' faces.

“What, what was that?” you ask, sitting up, letting the covers of your bed slide off you.

“That was a spell our children sometimes require when they are young, and they have not fully mastered what they are. We worried that such a binding would prove ineffective considering how powerful you have already become, but it looks like our fears were misplaced,” says Celestia, taking a position at the center of the the three standing at the foot of your bed. Cadence stood to her right, while Luna landed gently at her left.

“Thank you it,” was all you said, as your mind reeled a bit at the implications of it. You were as strong as one of their children, stronger even. Probably stronger than you had been before. Throwing the covers off, you took wobbly to your feet, trying to stand steadily for a full minute. After it had passed, and you realized you were still naked, you fixed that with a thought, now wearing something like your street clothing, a t-shirt and jeans.

“I think...I think I lost your armor. I'm sorry,” you apologized, tugging at the clothing you had made to pull at some loose parts of it, thinking again, and tightening it. Obviously you had grown slimmer in some respects, and wider in others since you had last made apparel in this fashion.

“It's fine. Such gifts were meant to be temporary anyway,” said Luna, as the three goddess walked around to you, standing in formation. Idly you realized it might be to contain you that they stood so close, like at any second you could somehow blow up, and their power might contain the explosion. Considering the headache you had where your new senses had been, you felt the precaution was warranted, and said nothing.

“Thank you for everything you've done for me. I truly am grateful for all of it,” you tell the three of them, bowing deeply at the waist, nearly tumbling forward, but keeping yourself standing by force of will, as you rise back to your old position.

“You are welcome,” said Celestia, a warm gentle smile on her face, mirrored on the Moon and Love Goddess'.

“What do you know of last night?” you asked at last, knowing somehow that it had only been a single night since the events, and remembering that the Doctor had once told you he tried to hide from the Goddess' sight as best he could. Of course, you'd never told him that they seemed to know all about him already.

“We know all. A griffon ambassador tricked Ourselves, and our soldiers into leaving the skies of Canterlot unguarded, and attempted to make his escape. If not for one of his own troops seeing through his deception, then he would have made off with you. If not for the intervention of the Doctor, you would have died,” said Celestia simply, and you nod. Then she very unexpectedly bows to you, her and her sister, as well as their niece, falling with their heads to the ground before you.

“We beg forgiveness for this lapse. If we had been paying closer attention last night, you would never have needed rescuing, and your life would never have been in danger,” said the Sun Goddess, and you stare at her, her eyes facing towards the floor. You can say nothing at first, but then step forward gently, and with a warm feeling at the corner of your eye, you lean down again, and hug Celestia around the neck, followed by Luna, and ending with Cadence, before standing in front of them again.

“Forgiveness is not needed. It was my fault for separating from my protectors, and for not using the skills you have been instilling in me better,” you admit to them, the formal words coming easily to your lips.

“We are still partially responsible for what occurs within Our city, but we thank you for the kindness,” said Luna, as the three turn. Getting the impression you should follow, you walked after them, your legs keeping stride easily with them now, either through your power, or just by your training you weren't sure.

“What happened to Fancy Pants, Gilda, and the Ambassador?” you ask as you walk behind them, and that question brings them up short, the goddesses stopping as they must be considering what to tell you, before Luna turns her head so one eye is on you.

“Mr. Fancy Pants is in the Castle's medical wing. It is expected that he will make a full recovery in a week or so. Commander Gilda of the Wing Guard is already back on duty, her injuries not slowing her down in the slightest. The Ambassador, despite some internal injuries, is convalescing nicely at the best doctor in Canterlot. He is expected to recover, if barely,” these words were spoken by Cadence, rather than the other two, and the last statement held venom from her that you had never heard before in the voice of the Goddess of Love.

“If it were possible, I would like to visit with them, after we've seen my friends,” you tell the trio, and Luna goes back to facing ahead of you. Dimly you perceive something passing between the three. A consciousness that joins above them, probably some kind of telepathic conversation. Likely they'd been doing this all along, but only now could you sense it, and for some reason, you felt miffed at that, for being left out of the talk.

“That sounds reasonable,” said Luna at last, as the three led you down several familiar looking corridors. It seemed that they'd evacuated several wings of the castle, as it is almost a quarter of an hour before your sense tells you someone is nearby, and almost five minutes after that when you finally enter the room with them.

“Are you alright!?” demanded a voice, as a gray mare, her hooves clacking loudly on the floor, rushed over to you. Her forelegs grabbed you, wrapping tightly around your body, but you weren't hurt by her gentleness, as she pressed her head into your chest. As she lay there, with her face buried against your body, you returned her huge, and patted her on her back.

“I'm fine, I just, I took a bad fall,” you told her, and you could actually feel something warm and wet against your chest. It took you a second to realize that she was crying.

“A bad fall? A BAD FALL!?! You nearly got yourself killed? You did get yourself killed, if your powers hadn't returned when they did!” she shouted, her voice muffled, as tears streamed down her cheeks. You didn't know how to respond to that. She had been so worried, so concerned for you, that she was mad at you. That was something new. No one had ever cared for you that much, not even family, so you just stood there for a long time, stroking your hands through her mane.

“I'm sorry. I know I almost left you, but that will never happen again,” you tell her, putting as much sincerity as you can behind your words. Slowly, her tears run dry, and her nose sniffs, sucking back in what it can. Smiling, you pull her head away, and put you palm underneath her chin so you can raise her face to stare into yours. A thought is all it takes to clean her up, so that the wet stained streaks in her fur are dry, by the time you face the room that also contains Vinyl and the Guard.

“Yeah, what she said. Only more so,” said Vinyl as she walked up to you, smacking you in the shoulder with her hoof, while wearing a sardonic smile on her lips. Her eyes betrayed her mocking tone, though nothing else did about her visage. The eyes, normally covered by her glasses, were exposed now, and they were rimmed with dry redness. She'd been crying too, something that lifted your heart even more.

The next faces you looked into were not so red. The eyes instead bore shame within their gazes, as four ponies in uniform walked up to you. As one, they bowed, only Rainbow looked around to see how deeply she should do so, looking to her captain, and her squadmate to see, while beside them, Glimmerstrike was down on one knee. Rainbow meanwhile looked like at any moment she would throw herself at you feet, were it not for her training and teammates.

“We cannot be forgiven for our lapse in duty, but we can apologize for it,” began the Captain of the Royal Guard.

“If we'd been doing our jobs right, we'd have seen this coming,” continued Spitfire.

“And if we'd been paying the slightest bit of attention, you never would have gotten hurt,” said Soarin, in a voice far too serious to be real.

“We failed you, and we can't say we're sorry enough,” finished Rainbow, her voice almost quivering a little as you just stared at them. Idly, you could sense more guards, Royal ones, outside the room. Probably that whole squad you'd had with you the day before, maybe all the ones you'd ever had with you. They'd likely all wanted to come in and apologize, but the Captain had pulled rank and done this as a representative of the entire Guard.

“You did not fail in your duty. You did everything that could reasonably be expected of you. I failed you. I failed to heed your warnings, to take things as seriously as I should have. I failed to make full use of the training you've been beating into me. And worse still, I failed to wake even a single one of you up, and have you with me as a guard. For that, I can only say that I am sorry, and humbly hope that it suffices,” you tell them, bowing back, and somewhere in the back of your mind vowing to cut off the next pony that tried to apologize to you like this.

“Such generosity and forgiveness speaks well of your character. I think you will make a fine Prince someday,” says the Captain, his face broken with a smile as he walks towards you, salutes, and then finally turns to his Rulers.

“If I might take my leave?” he asks him, and the three give him a nod of assent. The Captain trots off to a door in the back of the room, and through it you can see the others, most of them turning sharply, before Glimmerstrike closes the door behind him with a dull thud.

“So, you got your powers back?” asked Dash, as she and the Bolts gathered around you. Rather than answer, you decided to smirk at her, and then float a little off the ground, your form hovering there, bobbing slightly in the air, and then gently going back down.

“I'm ready to race you whenever you are,” you told her, and Dash's smirk widened. Spitfire poked her in the ribs, and soon the three of them stood at straight attention.

“Permission to continue our assigned duty? Unless the Marquis would rather we did not,” asked Spitfire, and you smiled at her.

“It would be an honor to have your continued escort,” you told her, and the three quickly fell in behind you, as the Royal Trinity, sensing you were ready, walked out of the door you'd entered, and led the way towards the center of the palace. Beside you now walked Vinyl and Octavia, the two pelting you with questions, with the occasional one thrown in by Rainbow Dash, about what had happened, and how you'd survived.

You provided them with details as best you could, while also hearing all manner of rumors that the Canterlot grapevine had grown about the events of the previous evening. The best of which, in your opinion, was the apparently some secret coalition of dragons, griffons, and changelings had decided to come against Canterlot, and you'd bravely fought them off, consuming the souls of the fallen to restore your power.

Finally, the Princesses led your small group to a door you didn't recognize by look, only by the symbol on it. It was odd, but like at home, hospitals and medical places tended to be marked by a red plus sign, or cross, and even in the palace, there was no exception. The door opened easily to the magic of the Celestia, and the nine of you stepped inside a room that was far larger than one might expect, with several beds set into the walls. Luckily, there was only one occupied resting place, and you made a dash towards it, past the Royal Three.

“Are you okay?” you asked, looking at Fancy Pants. He was wounded, it was obvious, but nothing too bad. His chest was bandaged, and he had a few scraps and bruises, as well as a black eye, but otherwise, he was fine.

“I am not unwell, if that is what you are asking. I must apo-” he began, and you held up your hand to still the thought.

“It wasn't your fault. You had no reason not to trust that flying chicken, anymore than I did. He just seemed like any other slimy politician, nothing to show he was crazy too,” you tell him, looking him up and down as he nods with your words.

“Still, if I had merely questioned him a bit, I might have avoided this whole debacle,” he tells you.

“True, but then I wouldn't be able to do this,” you respond, taking his hoof in your hands, and then thinking of him as he had been, whole and well. There was a slight glow the surrounded him, and you could taste his numbers changing, but when it was over, he was wide eyed, and looking down at himself.

“Amazing,” was all he said, as you stepped back, and he rolled off the bed, his hooves clacking onto the tile floor. The instant he was down, several of the medical ponies you hadn't noticed rushed to his side, but he waved them off, as he pulled at the bandages and things, revealing himself to be whole and well now.

“Incredible. I would have believed that bolt alone, let alone the fall, would have me bedridden for days, but now I feel fit as ever,” he tells you, hopping up on one hoof to prove it.

“It was my way of saying thank you, for caring about me,” you tell the white unicorn, and he turns to you, a grin planted firmly on his face.

“It was a pleasure, and thank you as well. If ever you need any resources which are at my disposal, consider them yours,” said the sallion, before he was swarmed by several doctor ponies, all of whom insisted he lay back down while they scan him with spells to check for injures you might have missed. You decide to take your leave, lest they start asking you questions, and your small group departs the room.

“So, where to now?” asked Luna as your headed for the castle gate.

“Let's find Gilda first, I want to see if she's got anything wrong with her she refuses to let heal properly, and then we can pay a visit to the Ambassador. I have some questions to ask him,” you tell her, the last a bit darker than you had intended.

No pony questioned you however, as your entourage steps outside, not even the paparazzi bothering you with the Royal Trio around, just keeping their distance and snapping photos as you made your way to a waiting carriage. You, the Princesses, Vinyl, and Octavia all took seats inside, while the Wonderbolts took the skies overhead, scanning the horizon for any threat.

<><><><><>

And now we come to Act 4 of our tale. Yes, I do know how many acts are left, but not how many chapters. However, as this act opens, I am left with a choice. There needs to be a new villain. Madness and Chaos are gone, but now Sorrow comes. Who to use for Sorrow though? What Shadow needs to return to threaten Equestria? Nightmare Moon or King Sombra? Since the two are equally capable of doing damage, I leave this to you dear readers. Email me at my play email, with the titles below as the subject, and I'll add it to a running tally. This will be taken down once I get to the chapter involving the choice(No I don't know when that will be). Oh, and I would love it if you'd include your thoughts on the story so far in it, but you can vote without it. Only one vote per reader however.

The email will be: iceelfshala@gmail.com

Subject for Nightmare Moon: Rainbow

Subject for King Sombra: Fireflies

(As a note, since I know someone might ask this, no, it won't be Luna who changes, it'll just be Nightmare Moon reborn as her self)

PreviousChapters Next