• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,129 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,129

PreviousChapters Next
We are an Alicorn Family

“Hold still young man. This doesn't get any easier when you fidget,” said the white unicorn fashionista, as you squirmed atop the podium you were standing on, trying to shift your feet to a more comfortable stance.

“I would be a lot less fidgety if I could have a chair,” you complain, not for the first time.

“And if I were allowed to make you a suit without having to put it over the armor, I could oblige,” she countered, levitating a pair of pins into her mouth as another came down like an around, skewering a bit of thread and diving into the half finished garment around you.

“No can do. The Princesses, all three of them, ordered that he never take that off, for his own protection,” reminds Spitfire, who smiles at you with that sarcastic grin of her's. If you could move your arms, rather than holding them out to your sides, you'd have thrown something at her.

“So there's no use complaining about it darling. Just give me a few more minutes, and I'll be done,” Rarity assured you, and you did believe that she believed that. Of course, the fact that she'd said the same thing a few hours ago when the sun was just moving into afternoon, and it was now nearly nightfall kind of ruined that bit of trust.

So you stood. Moving your legs ever so slightly every few seconds, as Rarity sewed around you. This time it was a normal suit, not like the gem threads that Frazzle Dazzle made. Rarity had insisted that with most of Canterlot wearing such garments, that they would become old hat very soon, and had even gotten Frazzle in on making a whole new line, using silk spun from something in the Crystal Empire instead.

The sun waxed and waned, the light of it shining in through the window and making your armor, as well as the new suit being woven around it, reflect beams of light onto the walls. As the last few rays fell upon the surface, the effect was a beautiful explosion of color, almost like a sonic rainboom, that covered the room in rainbows for several minutes, before the bright light of the sun faded, and slowly the gentle moonlight came to replace it.

“Hmm, maybe one last little bit...and that should be good enough. What do you think?” asked Rarity, turning toward where your guardians sat. Well, slept for the most part, Rainbow and Soarin having fallen asleep against each other, while the two Royal Guards seemed to be resting with their eyes open, kind of glazed over. Spitfire had her goggles down, concealing her eyes, but it was obvious from the steady rise and fall of her chest that she was deep in slumber.

“Oh come now, it didn't take that long!” complained Rarity in a quiet, forceful way, grabbing some tray with her magic. You covered your ears when you realized she was about to smack the metal of the tray with a brush. Sure enough, the pounding sound of metal on wood soon reverberated around the room, and you got a good laugh at the expense of your protectors.

Spitfire popped upward, her wings flaring and carrying her into the air. Of course, being inside rather than outside she soon slammed into the ceiling, though she barely seemed to notice, instead going into a combat stance, looking almost like she'd meant to do that, even as one of her forehooves started to rub at a knot that was probably growing on the top of her head.

Soarin and Dash, tangled as they were, woke up, conked their heads together as they pushed forward, then both tried to pull away, their limbs still enmeshed, causing them to fall forward, even as their wings beat, carrying them right into a dresser, which spilled its contents on the pair, before they finally disentangled themselves and joined Spitfire in the air.

The two Guards, who's names you couldn't recall, hopped to their feet, both wearing the armor that made them unicorns. Mind, they both seemed to ready spells at the same time, and thanks to a bit of fabric on the floor, one fell forward, firing off a blast of magic that you blocked with your vambrace, sending it out the window, even as the second guard fired at it, either from training, or just waking up faster, causing the two to slam together and create quite the light show.

“There, now that you're all awake, why don't you give me your opinion of my work,” said the white unicorn with an actually rather pleasant smile on her lips. It was just weird how Rarity could flip her switch like that, and go from totally angry and vengeful, to just happy to be part of the group. The others just stare at her for a bit, trying to get their brains to come fully online, before Spitfire, trying her best to match the unicorn's smile, landed, and walked around you, looking you up and down like some mannequin on display.

“Not bad, a bit plain but I suppose the unique structure of the body would make normal designs just special enough that no pony's gonna question it too hard, right?” asked Spitfire as she came back around you. The suit itself was indeed plain, looking like a tuxedo jacket that had been made into a full suit, with a pushed out chest thanks to the breast plate, exposed forearms to let the vambraces out, and some stuff around your calves that seemed to flow into the armored boots you wore on your feet.

“A good eye, Spitfire, darling. I tried to experiment a bit with his previous wardrobe, but I think that for Fancy Pants' party, something a bit more normal in appearance would be the best way to go,” said Rarity, using her hoof to tug at one of the seams.

“Well, I think it looks fine. Can we go now?” asked Rainbow, lazily floating in the air above you. The tone of her question earned her a rather pointed look from Rarity, who just sighed with a smirk at her friend after a moment.

“I suppose you should. I did take a bit longer than I intended with this covering. Still, be sure to hang it up properly, Mr. Human. I don't want this getting too many wrinkles before the party tomorrow night,” admonished Rarity, using her magic to gather up the various things she'd brought with her and putting them into a huge case she seemed to always have at her side these days.

“Of course,” you tell her, as you pull at the spot near your neck where the suit connected to itself. The fabric, though it looked almost seamless on the front, actually peeled away easily, revealing the armor beneath as you slipped it off, moving down until it was at your waist, at which point you sat down on your bed and pulled it off from your legs, revealing it to be a single piece suit.

“Hmm, I do wish I had more time to work with you on this one. That's what happens when you don't keep up with the gossip though,” admonishes the mare as she finishes packing, while you take a hanger from your closet and set the suit upon it.

“Not everypony can keep their ear to the grapevine like a dressmaker, Ms. Rarity. Still, I think you did your best, and at least he looks presentable now,” said the mare, floating forward, licking her hoof, and then rubbing it against your face in a way that was just short of being painful.

“I suppose. Anywho, I'll be busy most of tomorrow, but if there's any problems with the suit, or you think it needs a touch up, just come by the Boutique, and either I or Frazzle should be able to help,” offered the mare, before levitating her case behind her and starting for the door. It was a bit surprising how easily she could lift that thing, which was as large as she was, which again made you feel weak, but that was becoming so common that you just let it pass.

“If she's going, I think it's time for us to as well. You get some sleep, and we'll get you up bright and early tomorrow so Shining and his guys can keep beating the snot out of you,” offered Spitfire, and you almost got annoyed enough to punch her. Before you could though, she motioned for the Bolts to follow her out the balcony door. The Royal Guards, meanwhile, took a look around the room, and then proceeded into the hallway, where they probably took up their usual positions on either side of your door.

“Such is the life of the Royal Pet,” you say to yourself, as you strip off the suit of armor setting it up on the dummy. When you're about to set the sword upon it though, a thought strikes you, and instead you bring the weapon towards your bed, gently setting it just between the two cushions so that the hand was barely sticking out. Testing the draw speed, you yank on the hilt, pulling the blade free with a shink sound.

“Hmm, paranoia or foresight?” you ask yourself as you go through the first three forms of your practices, before returning the blade to its hidden location. Now free of clothing, you stretch and climb into bed, your stomach reminding you as you did so that food had eluded it this evening. Mentally you tell the stupid empty thing to shut up, and that you'd get a big breakfast for it, if it just let you sleep tonight. If that worked or not, you weren't sure, as your eyes fluttered twice, and then gently closed.

“Ah, I was wondering when you would show up tonight,” said a familiar voice, the Void shaking with it's resounding tones. Your eyes dart about for the source, finding Luna sitting down on the ground, her forehoof holding a group of cards, that she was idly laying on others that floated in front of her, playing what looked like a very odd version of solitare.

“Well excuse me, Princess. Rarity took a while to get my new suit just right. You know how she is,” you explain as you walk over towards her, conjuring a chair with a thought, just something simple, and then plopping down into it.

“Heh, I was merely teasing you, my young friend,” she tells you, banishing her cards with a waving motion, causing them to turn to dust that then vanished into the Void as she slowly stood.

“I know, I know, I'm just bored. Rarity is a great dressmaker, and probably a good gossip, but she never wants to talk in front of me, since I'm a stal-er a male, and we don't get to know what mares really think,” you tell her, feeling your body morph a bit towards a pony form, and quickly squashing that thought and turning back to normal.

“I see,” said the Lunar Princess with a chuckle.

“Yeah. So, what game are we going to play tonight?” you ask, very crudely trying to change the subject.

“Oh, none of that tonight I'm afraid. I've been shirking my duties as Dream Weaver, and must divide my focus tonight between you, and the thousands of dreams of my subjects,” she said.

“Well, okay. Does that mean you're going to be leaving?” you ask, and she smiles at you, before shaking her head.

“Unlike ponies, we, my sister and I, can multitask quite easily. I believe I can find some enjoyment talking with you, even as my other selves shepherd the dreams of others,” she explains.

“That makes sense, I suppose. So if you don't want to play a game, what do you want to do?” you ask her.

“Hmm...I believe you have more questions to ask about my world, or even my sister and myself. Why don't you ask them, and we'll play for some more question time later?” she offers, your face splitting wide in a grin. It was often you got to ask questions about the Royal Pair, and now Luna had just written you a very interesting blank check.

“Okay, let's start with family then? I know you feel wrong discussing mating habits, but I've been curious about your family too. Like Prince BlueBlood, isn't he Celestia's son or something?” you ask, and Luna just smirks at you while covering her mouth with her hoof and giggling.

“That old blow hard is so far removed from my sister that I doubt he could claim even a drop of blood is from her. Still, you want to know about our family tree?” she says mischievously. Then a appears before her, unrolling and unfolding so you can see what was written on it. It didn't seem to have a limit on just how far it could unroll though, and in a few minutes there was at least a hundred foot wide, and twice that tall, parchment sitting in front of you.

“Of course, this is just direct lines. There are a few families I've heard are offshoots. Let's start at the top,” she declared, and the document floated down, or you floated up, kind of hard to tell, until your head was even with it.

“Of course, as I told you last night, StarSwirl is technically our father, mine and Tia's,” she said, and you could see the face of an old looking unicorn up top. Oddly, you find his gaze to be warm and pleasant, almost enough so that you forget that he was now a monster.

“He had no natural children, and so my sister and I are the only ones from his line,” she said, and the scroll rolled upward, now showing the faces of Celestia and Luna. You then see Celestia's face sort of 'grow' a drawn on mustache, beard, and glasses, though the parchment then moves on from that.

“From there we get my daughter, Nix, Princess of Shadows,” she tells you, and you find yourself looking at another alicorn, one you hadn't seen previously. Her mane appeared to be made of darkness, and her coat was just this side of black, sort of off gray that made her body hard to look at, like your eyes just slipped off her, and her eyes had the soul piercing quality of her mother and aunt when they were in Ruler Mode.

“That was over a thousand years ago, of course, and she's since moved on with her life, and sired several children of her own,” said Luna, and the scroll moved down, individual pictures becoming smaller as you notice more and more branches.

“Celestia, of course, has more,” she tells you, and the view shifts to Celestia's picture, with several branches coming down off of her.

“I know a few, but I'm aware that there are apparently more than these. Pyro was one, but he's not the oldest by far, that would be Prince Radiance, Alicorn of Light” she said, and the view shifted to an alicorn that was the complete opposite of Nix. His coat was gleaming gold, with a mane the looked like it was made of sunbeams. More his deep blue eyes shone with understanding, like his mother when she was giving a lecture.

“Pyro also isn't her youngest, though I haven't inquired much of her newest ones. I think there are seventeen in all,” she told you, and the scroll widened, so you were now looking at all of them at once. A rather eclectic collection of various elemental forces, including one that looked like she was made of clouds, and another that was forged of lightning, while still another looked to be made of rainbow light.

“All of them have their own children, which are never Alicorns like themselves or us, nor do they have our agelessness,” she explained, as the scroll shifted again, this time showing hundreds, maybe thousands of branches as it went, before stopping near the bottom, where you saw the image of that haughty jerk.

“His Royal Pain in the Butt, is one of Radiance's descendents,” she told you, and you looked up the chart towards him, finding it somewhat disconcerting that many branches of the family seemed to cross into each other. It was only when your eyes trailed back downward that you spotted a familiar face, and willed the scroll to focus on it.

“That's Rainbow Dash!” you declare.

“Ah, good eye, good eye. She is indeed one of Celestia's great, great, more greats, granddaughters, from DewPrisms' Line,” explained Luna.

“Does she know?” you ask, wondering why Rainbow would never have brought this up before.

“Probably not, the lines of the Alicorns are so convoluted that most families can trace a few genes back to them, but only direct descendents like BlueBottom can really claim titles from it, or even care anymore,” explains Luna.

“So not everypony with blood of an Alicorn is automatically a Prince or Princess?” you question, folding the scroll back out with a thought, and then looking through the bottom branches for more of your friends.

“Goodness no. Heck, not even all our children get that title. Pyro, for instance, hasn't yet shown his leadership skills. I think that's why Tia put him with the Professor, to jar him out of it. DewPrism herself never laid claim to a title, always being as flighty as a rainbow after a rain, never in the same place twice,” answered Luna.

“Okay then, where are all these Alicorns then? I know where Pyro is, but you said there's loads more. Heck, where's your daughter, Nix?” you ask her, scrolling back up towards the level just under the two Princesses.

“Ah...well, it's not easy for ones like us to live like we do. My sister and I, we have our Kingdom, and our Subjects, but our children, rarely do they take up that role as we have, instead finding those they can help more personally,” Luna told you, and suddenly you saw scenes of a few of the kids, Nix helping defend a village under attack by an Ursa Major, Radiance shining his light at some army made of buffalo and causing them to halt before they slammed into a castle. Many more as well.

“However, as we are, so are they. Our lives do not end, for they are simply the distilled essence of their element. As such, they find that the lives of ponies, and even dragons and phoenixes, are far too fleeting. Nix herself I know, dwells in a mountain far away, mourning a lover who died almost a decade ago, unable to bring herself to love again, at least for a time,” she said, though thankfully this did not conjure a scene of her daughter, probably out of respect.

“While Pyro is far too...wild to have found such company yet, I feel he will have such an anguish when his friends depart this world that it will take my sister and I together to contain him,” she says.

“So, they're as strong as you then?” you ask, trying to change the subject.

“Not at all, merely as strong as very powerful unicorns in magic, though they are also some of the fastest fliers, and strongest hooves in the world. Still, to contain such power, without harming it, or allowing another to come to harm, requires power exponentially greater,” she tells you.

“I see. But then, how did Pyro stand up to Discord. I remember him taking the others with him, sure, but I also so those big fireballs come flying out of the palace. Your saying any unicorn strong enough could have made those?” you ask her, and she nods.

“Were they so inclined towards flames, yes. Though it would not be easy. Doing such magic would drain them. An Alicorn has...what did you call it, Transfinite power. Though we can deplete ourselves, we will recover quickly. Still, it is as you said, Pyro had help when he faced Discord, mine included, otherwise the Chaos God would have taken only moments to shove him aside,” she explains.

“Alright, then how's about Cadence, she's not one of your children, right?” you ask, remembering Cadence called Celestia 'Aunt' a few times in your hearing.

“Ah, that. It's a tricky thing to explain, but I shall try my best. Cadence, as I think you might have surmised, is the descendent of the Crystal Ponies rulers, a family of Pegasi who understood love so intrinsically that they spread it far and wide from their spire, even going so far as to forge an artifact that generated it, called the Crystal Heart,” she began, and suddenly you found yourself standing in the square at the Crystal Palace, staring at the artifact.

“When Sombra attacked, they were slain, all save a single daughter, who was smuggled our using the magic of the Crystal Ponies. Unfortunately, said magic was tainted by the Darkness, and Mi Amora Cadenza was thought lost for centuries,” said the Princess of the Night, as the scene of Cadence, swaddled in cloth, was surrounded by several Crystal Ponies, vanishing in a flash of light that turned green for a split second before she did so.

“She would be found after my banishment as Nightmare Moon, so I only have Tia's word on this next part, but it seems she had some bit of her family's power in her, able to create love and understanding wherever she went. Because of this, Tia found that her body was changing, and after watching her for a short time, took Cadence in, and used her magic to accelerate the change, at the time not knowing what it would result in,” the scene showed Cadence, in the form of a younger pony, but still her, and Celestia, standing in a field of stars, like some kind of ethereal plane.

“When it was done, Cadence was an Alicorn, as great as either of us, and able to perform feats that even my sister and I found daunting,” and as she spoke, Princess Cadence was born before your eyes, a horn growing out of her head, even as she grew larger, until she was the Cadence who spent most mornings healing your wounds of late.

“But Twilight describes her as being Shining Armor's age,” you protest after a moment of thought, and this earns another giggle from the Lunar Princess.

“As we have shown you, to us, these bodies are temporary things. Cadence is not as skilled as my sister or I are, but she can still regress or age herself to fit her duties, which at the time, was to watch over Twilight, and make her into a pupil who would drink in every lesson Tia had to teach,” she explained.

“Hmm, was this before, or after her magic test?” you ask.

“After, as far as I know, but then, I wasn't around then,” she admits.

“So Celestia is every bit the manipulator that Vinyl thinks she is,” you state, not as a question, but Luna, smirking, nods enthusiastically at you.

“Indeed. Such is the way of her Royal Sweettoothiness,” she tells you, conjuring an image of Celestia stuffing her face with cakes, which makes the two of you laugh, until suddenly Luna seems to shimmer a bit, and she pauses, banishing the image.

“Hmm?” you go, rising back to your feet from where you'd fallen on your back laughing.

“It seems We shouldn't leave a single piece of Ourself to answer your questions from now on. We're far too candid and prone to such jokes. We would advise you not to let Our sister know of this...illusionary version of herself. Now then, morning is approaching quickly, and you need to rouse yourself. The day you face will be long,” she advises, vanishing suddenly, and for a moment, you think you might have done something wrong.

Of course, such fears are set aside when you notice there is one last cake sitting in the Void, which Celestia soon appears and grabs, with Luna's silvery laughter floating over the nothingness. Smiling yourself, you just start to drift, waiting for the Void to release you, so you might face the coming day. Hopefully without any Divine retribution towards you for the images in your dreams that Luna made.

PreviousChapters Next