• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,127 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,127

PreviousChapters Next
Rude Awakenings

The palace guards, standing at attention outside the main doors to the Night Court, were startled when a shape burst through the palace gates. Instantly the pegasi took to the air, and unicorns lowered their horns, charging them so they glowed. When the shape at last grew closer, all of them calmed down, for it was only Hayseed, the groundskeeper, who was wheezing, and had probably just heard the scream of Celestia that the Captain had gone to investigate.

He ran up the stair, his breath coming in gasps, and one of the pegasus armored guards floated down to him, and gave him support as he looked over the rest of them, trying to say something through ragged gulps of air, as one of the unicorns levitated a bowl of water over to him, letting him take several swallows of the crystal clear liquid, before he finally stopped and spoke to them.

“Discord, he’s free. His statues cracking. He’s going to break out any second!” shouted the groundskeeper, and several of the guards looked at each other, none of them sure what to do. Discord was something that was beyond their ability to fight, but surely he couldn’t escape for no reason, this had to be some kind of mistake.

“Are you sure, Hayseed? Perhaps it’s just a trick of the light, and the Princess’ scream earlier spooking you?” suggested one of the guards. Hayseed looked at him for a moment like he was going to smack him, and call him a young whippersnapper, but then he just sighed, looking down at the floor.

“Of course I’m sure. You don’t think I’d forget the feeling of being free, do you?” said Hayseed, his voice changing in mid word to the Chaos Master’s, and his face becoming the same. The guards tried to react, but the one closest to him was already being warped, changed into nothing more than a toy, which happened to all of them as Discord snapped his fingers, laughing as he walked forward, resuming his true form as he did so.

“So hard to find good help these days,” he said idly to himself, kicking the toys out of his way as he approached the big doors. Putting his ear up to it, he wondered why he couldn’t yet hear the screams of the ponies, so confident he would be frozen forever, now haven’t to deal with him being free once more. Instead there was just silence, which made him a bit mad. Still, one did one’s best with these situations, and a thought turned the door into chocolate cake, which he pushed on, creating a pile of it in the doorway as it collapsed.

“Luny, I’m home!” he shouted, to the empty throne room. Well, not empty, per say, as Luna sat in her little chair, staring daggers at him, however other than her, there was no pony or anything else for that matter, in the room.

“Discord…how did you escape the prison into which We sent your mind?” she asked, looking at him, and Discord just laughed at her.

“It doesn’t really matter that much does it Luna? I escape, that’s all that counts, and it’s time for you to pay for what you did to me,” he said, his teeth gleaming in the light as he approached Luna’s form. The Night Princess say there, not moving, just starting him down, her horn glowing with power that would fight him. She would lose, but she would not submit.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Hmm?” you go as you awaken. The void, it had shifted and moved in new ways tonight, before shattering completely. Something was wrong, something big was happening. Rising from where you’d been sleeping on the arm of the couch, you notice that Octavia was stirring as well, and in the back of the house you could hear Vinyl’s hoofsteps on the hard wood floor of their home.

“What’s going on?” asked Octavia wearily. The two of you had gone on another date earlier, and had been out so late that you’d decided to go to her house, rather than return to the palace, your guard for the day, a pegasus armored one you didn’t know the name of, had been sleeping in the chair nearby, and roused as you did, his eyes aware and awake in an instant.

“I…don’t know. It felt like my dream shattered,” you told her, and she nodded, looking as Vinyl rushed into the room.

“Hey, guard dude, little guy, there’s something up at the Palace!” she said, and instantly you and the guard ran to the window. Outside it, you could see lights all over Canterlot Castle, beam shooting in dozens of directions, some of them falling back to the ground and exploding against building. Some seemed harmless, just flashes of light. Others caused strange effects, like building folding inside out, or turning odd shapes and colors. The guard, without saying a thing, burst out the window, and flew towards the palace.

“What’s going on?!” you shout after him, but it’s Octavia who gives you your answer.

“Dis…Discord’s free. I remember, I remember the last time he broke out, it started like this, a few random chaos places, then everything…everywhere,” she said, her voice, her body, shuddering at the memory, and you wished for once that you were big just so you could comfort her.

Your thoughts are interrupted as something made of fire streaks across the sky from the edge of the city. It doesn’t take a genius to realize that it’s Pyro, but it does take a keen eye to spot all the shapes in his fireball with him. Apparently he could take anypony he wanted in his little flaming balls, as you could make out most of the apprentices you knew, before the ball slammed hard into the side of the palace, and more bolts began to fly from within, now including fire among the bolts of magic and chaos.

“They’re not going to win,” said a voice unexpectedly, and you turned to find Vinyl, her glasses down, as he just stared. There was a hopeless tone to her speech you’d never heard there before. Vinyl was always happy, peppy, ready for the next thing, but this? She sounded dejected, defeated, like nothing could ever go right with the world again, and Octavia looked like she felt the same. They were terrified, and for some reason, that made you really mad.

“Get to the basement, and stay safe,” you told them, as you flew out the window, thinking of the best shape for this fight, and suddenly being surrounded by the orbital frame, Jehuty, it’s many subweapons coming online as you floated in front of the house at music built.

“Are you crazy? What do you think you’re doing?!” demanded, of all ponies, Octavia, as she dove out of the window after you, staring at the cockpit, which was just about level with her head, being a bit sticking out from between the legs of the frame.

“I’m going to help,” you say simply, opening the shield over the controls, the thing dissolving, and letting you look her in the face.

“And what do you think you can do to help? Discord, he, he’s horrible, just a menace. You’re not on his level, only the Elements can stop him,” she tells you, and you nod.

“That’s true, only they can do anything against this guy permanently, but I can help slow him down. I bet you anything the Princesses have already sent for Twilight and her friends, and they’re on their way here right now. That means we’ve just got to hold him,” you explain.

“But, but you can’t! He’s stronger than you, he’ll kill you, or worse!” she declares, and Vinyl, who actually took the sensible route for once and came out the front door, joins her, placing a hoof on Octavia’s shoulder, even as she starts to cry a little.

“Li-Dude,” she says, dropping the first part of her name for you. “Do you really think you can do anything? I mean, you’ve heard what we said about him, you know what he is. Is there any hope your powers can fight him at all?

“I don’t know Vinyl, I really don’t, but I do know this, ‘Evil Triumphs When Good Men Do Nothing’. I don’t know how good a man I am, but I do know I’m not gonna let someone like Discord mess up a world I’ve grown rather fond of,” you tell her, and Vinyl actually cracks a smile, putting on her glasses.

“Then go on, get there, and help them. We’ll hold down the fort here. But you promise us, promise us both, that you’ll come back in one piece,” she orders, and you just smirk at her.

“Believe it!” you tell her, giving her a thumbs up.

“I’ll hold you to that. Come on Octy, let’s get to the basement like he said,” Vinyl advised, starting to lead her off, while the cockpit closed and you began to rise in the air. You stop though when you notice Octavia break away, and just stare at you.

“You promised! Remember that, you promised you’d be back!” she shouted up at you, and you have Jehuty nod at her, before rocketing off.

“Pilot’s pheromone readings are higher than average, would you like a stabilizer,” said a female electronic voice, the AI of Jehuty.

“Negative ADA. Scan for energy sources instead,” you order, and you hear the pings of the computer working.

“Scan complete, several high level power sources detected in large structure. The largest appears to be in combat against the others. Probability of victory by smaller sources calculated at .057%...correction, .056%,” she says in a cold tone, and you grimace. Sounded like the party wasn’t going to well. One look back, you see the music ponies moving inside their home, and you give one thought as to what Discord had done to them before, and then declare in your mind that he wouldn’t be allowed to do anything else to the ones you loved, as you turn the thrusters up to maximum, and Jehuty shoots off towards the castle.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Heh, is that the best you can do, matchstick?” asks Discord of the fire pony he’d just turned into a literal matchstick. The thing, whose head remained, began to shout muffled swears at him, even as he laughed at the thing.

“Discord!” cried another voice, a female pegasus with a white coat. He had no idea what her name was, but she came on like a shot, trying to slam into him. He just stood there yawning, enjoying that moment when she struck, and hit only a brick wall that happened to be between her and him that just popped up.

“Oh please, did you really think that would work?” he said as she slumped to the floor.

“Really now, this is just getting boring. I thought the famous DawnChaser and his apprentices could put up more of a fight than this,” he declared, even as a few more of them launched attacks. The zebra throwing potions that exploded to various effects, the big dog tossing rubble from the castle walls at him, and the Professor himself trying to direct the battle.

“Still, when one goes up against this much chaos, there’s only so much one can do I suppose,” he said, and with a casual wave of his hand, the rocks that the dog was throwing turned to marshmallows, bouncing against the floor, and the potion bottle the zebra had in his hoof vanished. Not the potion, just the bottle, causing the potion’s contents to spill around him, incasing him in a crystal.

“After all, didn’t you spend almost a year poking me just after you got out of that school?” asked the draconequus as he floated over to where the Professor stood. To his credit, the purple unicorn didn’t panic. Instead he roared defiance and charged, casting a spell that was intended to decrease Discord’s size. Unfortunately, the thing just unraveled as the chaos magic touched it, and the Professor found himself flying as Discord backhanded him with his lion’s paw, slamming him against a wall and taking him out of the fight.

“I suppose you didn’t learn too much then,” commented the Chaos God. A few more tricks, setting the yellow earth pony’s tail aflame for real, knocking out a massive pony by simply making him too big for his body to handle, and a dozen other things, he found himself faced with one last unicorn, who stood between him and Luna, the Night Princess looking worse for wear thanks to their earlier battle.

“So, you think you can protect her, do you?” he asked

“Not really, but I can give her what protection I can,” he said, and suddenly he grabbed Luna and closed his eyes. A glow surrounded the pair that then started to collapse in on itself, stopping only when Luna and the unicorn were less than half their original size, making Discord laugh.

“And how, pray tell, does that protect her?” he asked.

“Because it bought me enough time to get here!” shouted a pegasus guard as he dove through the window, kicking out with the horses and sending a spray of spell bolts into the palace at Discord. The red blasts of magic struck the draconequus, who didn’t even seem to feel them, dismissively holding out his hand, as if checking to see if it was raining, which only made the guard mad enough to charge.

The charge was ill advised, as Discord dodged the attack easily, and then, like a snake, wrapped around the guard, squeezing tightly as he got between his coils, until the pony passed out from the pressure, and Discord dropped him to the floor. With the distraction out of the way, the essence of chaos smiled, looking back over the battlefield.

Everywhere there were bodies. None were dead, not yet. That fun would come later, for now, they were just unconscious, or at least down for the counter. A few moaned with the pain of their injuries, and some even tried to stir, only to fall back down into the rubble strewn hall, their strength giving up before it even got them to their hooves.

“Heh, look at how pathetic you all are. This time you had warning, you felt my power as it awakened, and still you couldn’t do anything,” he told the collection of rabble who had opposed him. One voice weakly tried to tell him he was wrong, but it silenced quickly, either the protester thinking better of it, or passing out. Either way, Discord’s smile just got broader.

“And you, Princess Luna…so lovely now, so beloved by your people. Too bad for you I suppose. I think…yes, I think I’ll leave your eyes in this time, when I turn you into stone, so you can watch as I torment all of Equestria,” he told her, figuring it would be far better torment for her to watch and be able to do nothing. So like what she’d done to him by sealing him in the lowest level of the world of dreams.

“Oh, and next I suppose I’ll follow your sister,” he said, and Luna’s eyes went wide.

“Did you really think I couldn’t feel her leaving? She’s gone to get the element wielders, Sparkle and her friends. Oh, the suffering I shall visit on them. It will just be delicious,” he said, and Luna rose to her hooves, shaking a bit. She’d drained most of her power fighting him before, and now had almost nothing left, but she wasn’t about to just sit around while he threatened her sister, and her little ponies.

“You are a monster, Discord. A thing full of hate for the harmony you yourself cannot find. We will oppose you, and though we lose, there will be others, others who stand up, and fight you. One day, you will find yourself sealed again,” she told him, and Discord just stared at her. Deasly, the last waking thing in the room, rose with her, standing by her side.

“Oh really? Somepony is going to seal me up again? You really are just too much sometimes, Luna,” said the Chaos God with a deep belly laugh, before floating over to where she stood. Horns glowing, Deasly and Luna prepared to fight, only for Discord to just back hand the Night Princess into a wall, rubble flying in every direction as she crashed through it, and then just laid there. Awake, Deasly’s spell had offered her some protection from the impact, but a bit of wall had fallen on her, and she was unable to move it with what little power remained in her.

“And then there was one. Are you going to fight me too?” he asked Deasly, and the unicorn blasted out with his talent spell, hoping his spell could work where the Professor’s version failed. His hope was in vain, as Discord only grew bigger from the magic, making Deasly cry out in frustration and fire a blast of magic from his horn, one that Discord caught with one hand, holding it like a ball, that he popped by squeezing.

“Such heroics, almost makes me want to vomit,” said Discord, as he drew back his hand, gathering the magic in it to turn Deasly into a fly, or something tiny at least, to fit with his talent. He paused however, when a screaming engine echoed through the destroyed throne room. When the engine noise grew deafening, the source of it appeared, stopping with a blast of air the kicked up a lot of dust, obscuring it from sight.

The dust slowly cleared, and Discord found himself staring at an armored figure, one that tasted of a strange, but familiar kind of magic. The thing stood as tall as Luna normally did, and had a gleam in the full moon light from outside. It also hovered, two jets on the back of it continuing to hold it in the air, bobbing a little.

“So, the human comes to me, and here I was worried I would have to hunt you down,” said Discord as he stared at the thing up and down. The thing was sleek, and obviously fast, but probably not very sturdy, given the thinness of its limbs. This was what Madness wanted dead though, and he was happy to oblige, letting the magic flow through him, and gathering it into both his hands, intending on blasting the human away with a single powerful shot.

PreviousChapters Next