• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,131 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,131

PreviousChapters Next
Two Kisses

“You do not seem surprised by this information,” she notes, as you rub at one of the vambraces, feeling the smooth material.

“It’s not that surprising. I did something major with it, so I figured burn out was inevitable. Like I told the others, that was a really bad idea, it was just the only one I had. Besides, when you used your magic on me to help me get up, I couldn’t feel it,” you tell her, stretching your arms and turning a bit.

“I see,” was her answer, as you feel a pop in your back that you think the others in the room heard as well, as they’re now looking at you.

“No hard feelings there. I figure those powers will be back, right?” you say, and Luna nods at you.

“Indeed. The Professor said it should only take a few weeks for your powers to recover. He mentioned something about Transfinite energy,” she said, and you chuckle a bit.

“Heh, I’m Hexadecimal then, neat. Better than being Megabyte I suppose, though I’d rather be Bob,” you tell them, knowing they wouldn’t get the reference to Reboot, but not really caring either, as you tug at a few places on the armor, and then turn to the little ponies.

“How do I look?” you ask, holding your fists at your hips, and trying to look heroic.

“Hmm, it’s missing something….” was what Rarity said, and Dash, in her Wonderbolts uniform, nodded.

“Yes, you forgot to give him a kick butt cape to go along with the armor,” she told Rarity, and the white pony, looking at you, nodded, quickly pulling at one of the overhanging drapes, and moving it towards you. Another flash, and suddenly you have a cape in a light blue color that contrasts the look of the armor itself.

“I do think you’re right Dashie, a cape would look simply divine with this ensemble. Princess, do you have any more of this lovely fabric?” she asked, and Luna smiled and nodded as Rarity returned the drapes to their original position.

“We purchased a few extra bolts, in order for you to make some more casual wear after today’s business is done,” she told her, and suddenly Twilight looked up and out the window, gasping.

“That’s right! We’re going to be late! Everypony, come on, Princess Celestia is probably already waiting for us!” she cries out, rushing to the door, her friends just looking at each other, before joining her. Luna, a bit more casually, strolls behind, and you take up the rear behind her, Vinyl and Octavia coming to walk beside you.

“Lookin sharp Lit…Big Dude,” said Vinyl, correcting herself as she looked up at you.

“Thanks,” was all you said, still trying to get used to the armor. It felt okay, but still was way different than the stuff you normally wore.

“Indeed. You do look rather handsome in this ensemble. Are you feeling alright though? I mean, I don’t think the Princess would allow you to get up unless you were well, she kept casting sleeping spells on you to keep you down while the doctors worked on you,” she told you, and you nodded, idly wondering if that dream was some result of the magic, and then shaking your head, trying to banish the images of it.

“I figured they did. And I feel fine. I’m guessing I’m big because of DawnChaser, right?” you ask, and Luna suddenly joins your conversation, stepping back so she’s walking just in front of you.

“My Sister was the one to cast the spell on you. Her version is slightly more stable, and should last until your own powers return enough to drain it,” she explains, and you nod.

“So, we don’t know when that will be then?” you ask, and she shakes her head.

“The Professor can only guess, but until then, you will be able to enjoy what Canterlot has to offer without fear of being stepped on,” she said with a grin, and you do so back at her.

“Heh, look at him Luny, he looks like he’ll be the one doing the stepping on now,” said Vinyl, looking you up and down, only for Octavia to smack her with her hoof.

“Vinyl! Don’t go calling Princess Luna by some inane nick name. Especially not that one,” she chides her companion, and Vinyl just smirks at her.

“It’s quite alright Ms. Octavia, though we might ask Ms. Scratch if she thinks her tax sheet is far enough above reproach before you decides to make such quips again,” said the Night Princess with a very playful smirk on her face, and Vinyl blanches a bit at it, while it was Octavia’s turn to laugh at her.

“Um…I think I’ll be quiet now,” said Vinyl at last, deciding to trot on the other side of Octavia from the Moon Princess, making her smirk even more satisfied as you continued down the hall. You were actually growing rather curious as to what going on, as you thought you’d been through the castle enough times to recognize where things were in relation to each other, but this time you were completely lost, as your group went down two flights, then up one, before coming to a pair of double doors.

“Ah, Princess, I see the Hero’s awake,” said the familiar voice of the Captain, as a group of guard ponies who’d been in a huddle break up. It was still hard to tell them, one from another, something the Captain had told you was the point of the armor, but it didn’t mask voices, so once a guard pony talked you could usually tell who it was.

“Indeed. I woke him myself, so he could have a gentler time than some strange doctor he didn’t know,” explained the Princess. Looking down at the Captain was actually a new experience for you, though he still looked rather buff, probably more so than before, as you could now see where his muscles were, rather than just being a mountain of them like all ponies.

“How are you feeling?” he asks simply.

“Like I keep getting asked that question. Other than that, I feel fine,” you tell him, having been asked that question three times in the last few minutes.

“Heh, I can imagine. Though you can’t blame any of us for being concerned. You’ve been asleep for more than a day, after depowering one of the greatest threats in history,” he informed you, and you nodded.

“Heh, and I had to be saved, a lot. At least four times that guy would have killed me without somepony coming to my rescue,” you told him.

“We’re your friends,” was all he responded with, before walking off, and you smiled after him. You couldn’t say anything else though, as the Six and Luna stood before the doors, all of them looking like they were getting ready for something big.

“We’ll head down now. Be careful, and remember, smile and wave,” Octavia told you, and then suddenly placed her hooves on your chest, nearly bowling you over. It was quick though ,as you were right, on her hind legs only, she was as tall as you, and placed one quick kiss on your cheek, before running off with Vinyl, who smirked back at you in a way that wanted to make you smack her.

“Aww, she really likes you,” said Pinkie Pie, before Rarity elbowed her in the gut, and they all faced forward again. Still blushing, wondering what was going on, you take an offered position next to Princess Luna, and then the double doors open.

Instantly you’re deafened as an almost solid wall of sound hits you hard. Outside the doors is another balcony, but rather than facing into the gardens as yours and the Princesses’ did, this one faced out into the courtyard of the palace, and was only a few stories off the ground, low enough that anypony on the ground could get a good look at the one standing there.

And man were there a lot of ponies on the ground. More than you’d ever seen at any other time. They just jammed the courtyard, from end to end, and all were smiling up at you, waving hooves. Not just ponies either, as here and there you spot other races you’d seen, buffalo, griffins, and dogs, but also there were ones you’d never seen before, including some kind of humanoid bird people, as few cheetahs, and something that looked like a lizard with huge eyes.

“My Fellow Equestrians, visiting dignitaries, and any other who’ve found their way to this Celebration today, I would like you to welcome those who defeated Discord, and ended their threat, once and for all,” came the voice of Celestia, booming louder than the crowd, and you were startled to find said crowd got even louder, making you wish you could curl up in your arm like a turtle and hide.

You weren’t allowed to do so, and instead felt a push from Luna’s magic, forcing you to step forward with them as they made their way out into the open, so the crowd could see them all better. Looking over, you were almost startled to see that even Fluttershy seemed to be enjoying this attention, her hoof waving in the air, and you decide to mimic her, doing your best to smile at the crowd below and waving one hand in the air.

“First, allow me to introduce my protégé and student, Ms. Twilight Sparkle, a master of Magic, and one who possess a knowledge of that makes her a great friend to have,” said the Princess, and Twilight stepped forward, bowing to the crowd.

“Next, Ms. Applejack, a member of the reputable Apple Family, growers of some of the sweetest apples in Equestria, and as Honest a friend as one could ask for,” more cheering, especially from one section of the crowd, which you spot Applebloom and Big Mac in, probably meaning that it was where all the Apples were sitting.

“Then there’s Ms. Rarity, a fashion designer who’s talent with her craft is second only to her generosity,” and Rarity moves forward, making you wonder why none of the girls are wearing dresses or something. Still, her cheers seem to come loudest from a section of the crowd that looks finely dressed, and the leader of which might be Fancy Pants, though it’s hard to tell from this angle.

“Next to her stands Ms. Fluttershy, Kindness ponyfied, and friend to every living creature in our world,” Fluttershy seems a bit less forward now, just doing a simple bow from where she stood, but her cheer is no less loud than the rest.

“Then we come to Pinkie Pie, one who’s Laughter is always guaranteed to bring a smile to your face, and light up your heart,” at this, the pink pony bounces up to the railing of the balcony, and begins to wave wildly into the crowd. Somewhere near the back, you spot two familiar brown shapes, to whom she seems to be directing most of those, a pair of mules, as well as an older couple with two strollers next to them.

“And next there’s Rainbow Dash, a member of the Wonderbolts, Loyal to a fault, and best trick flyer in all of Equestria,” these words seem to be a signal, as several Wonderbolts suddenly blast out of the crowd and shoot into the air, trailing smoke behind them after a moment, and creating a cloud sculpture shaped like Rainbow Dash’s cutie mark.

“Last, but not least, we have our human guest, from a world apart, who stands now among the legends of Equestria and beyond,” she said, turning to you with a smile, and you try to return it, only to have your face just fall apart as the cheering below reaches a crescendo. Not sure what to do, you just step forward, and mimic the actions of most of the girls, bowing at the waist to the assembled crowd, which only gets them to roar at you.

“These seven have brought lo a threat that many of us thought would forever hang over the future of our world. Together, through their bonds, they have ended…” the speech that Celestia had prepared began to drone on, and you continued to wave, leaning down towards Luna.

“We…I’m not gonna have to say anything, am I?” you ask, nervous at the prospect of talking to so many.

“Heh, no, Tia likes to make speeches, and planned to do all the talking for this event. You will be required to attend the ball tonight, however,” she told you, and you just go blank faced at that.

“B-b-b-ball?” you say, a bit of a stutter entering your voice.

“Of course. We need to celebrate this occasion, and Tia insisted that the first room we fully repair be the Grand Hall that we might hold it. I hear there’s celebrations being held in many villages and kingdoms tonight, to coincide with it, but this will be the center of the festivities, and will rival the first Grand Galloping Gala in size,” she told you, waving towards a couple of ponies, an earth pony you recognized from around the palace, and a pegasus standing with her, as well as their child which they lifted up towards her so she could see it better.

Your thoughts drift a bit, as the occasion goes on, and the speech begins to thank members of the Royal Guard, and DawnChaser and his Apprentices by name. None of them came up on stage though, leaving you, the Six, and the Princesses as the focus of the crowd’s attention, which became much more calm as the speech went on.

There was going to be a ball. You hadn’t attended one of those yet, though you’d been told about them. They were all the rage, but the only one that happened every year was the Grand Galloping Gala, which Deasly had told you, from his own experience was a crushing bore, though he’d refused to elaborate farther, saying something about getting to spend the night with Spitfire after the ball was over.

It made sense though, to have one tonight, and probably every year after this. The Gala was, after all, to celebrate the founding of Equestria. Not the journey here, which was what Hearths Warming Eve was about, but the founding, when the Princesses had first taken control of the land, and begun to control the movement of the heavens.

That was Discord’s first defeat, the day when he’d been sealed away, forever they thought, and they could enjoy peace again. Now he really was gone forever, his power completely taken away. It therefore followed that there would be a similar event to commemorate it, and that you would have to attend as well.

The rest of the speech goes on, and you hear Celestia thank the attendees, and name the seven of you off again as the ones who brought Discord lo, and ended his reign of blah blah blah. It was all finely worded, and sounded great from the voice of the Goddess who controlled the sun, but all it did for you was remind you that you’d done a really stupid thing two nights ago, that had paid off because you were incredibly lucky.

Soon everyone below starts to meander to the gates, and you follow the others back through the doors, standing in the hallway behind. Already there were a few ponies waiting for your group, family and friends to greet the Six, and Octavia and Vinyl for you, the former blushing again as she run up to you, and then just stood there nervously. Smiling, you lean down, and this time return the kiss on the cheek she’d given you before, trying not to spit out some hair that got into your mouth as you did so.

“And you like her too, that calls for a party. I’ll need to get my cannon!” she says, and starts off, only to have Applejack bite into her tail and pull her back.

“Now, Pinkie, I think we’d best leave well enough alone right now. We’ve got us another party that needs readyfin for,” said the orange pony.

“Oh, that’s right, I’ve got to get going! That halls not gonna decorate itself!” she said, and then she was gone. Not that she ran down the hall, just one minute she was there and the next…gone.

“I believe she’s right Darlings. We all have to get ready for this one. I have so many dresses to finish making before tonight. Come Vinyl,” she said, and Rarity turned away, using her magic to drag Vinyl along with her, the pop deva pony looking at you for rescue, and you just waving goodbye at her.

“I suppose my kin and the Cakes and me ought to get down to the kitchen to whip up some fine vittles for the festivities,” said Applejack, Big Mac and the Cakes agreeing and going off with her down the hall.

“I think I’ll go gather up the birds so we can practice with Octavia’s ensemble,” said Fluttershy, and Octavia nods.

“That sounds lovely, I’m sure Symphony would love to meet with Philomena again,” said Octavia, and the two went off, discussing the types of music they were going to play.

“And I have my own duties to attend to. Thank you again human, see you at the ball tonight,” said the Sun Princess, walking off her student in tow, and leaving the hall a bit less bright as she did so. Now it seemed rather empty just standing in front of the double doors, though you still had the company of Rainbow Dash, Spitfire, and Soarin, as well as Princess Luna.

“Don’t you guys have to go do patrol or something?” you ask, as the five of you start down that hall, you leading, though for the moment, you had no idea where to go.

“Nah, our patrols been canceled for now. There are other Bolts to handle those kind of things. We got us a special assignment,” said Rainbow Dash proudly, rubbing her hoof against her chest and blowing on it, in a gesture probably meant to show how she thought of herself as hot stuff.

“Oh? And what would that be?” you ask as you get to the intersection of the hall, and decide, on a whim, to turn left. Not that you knew where you were in the palace, just that left seemed nice.

“You, of course. You’ve got no powers, can’t fly, and are pretty weak for being so tall,” says Dash rather bluntly.

PreviousChapters Next