• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 11,140 Views, 944 Comments

Equestria: A Flux Tale - Star Sage



A Tiny Human lands in Equestria. Why? What? Who? Questions to be answered, and a quest to be found.

  • ...
47
 944
 11,140

PreviousChapters Next
Duel Time

“Okay, I lay two cards face down, and play this card in defense mode,” you tell her, laying down the cards from your hand, and then staring across the field at Luna, who levitated the cards in front of her. She didn't need magic to make that happen here, and so they just floated before her, no sparkle of power about them, just hanging there.

“Intriguing. Trap or magic cards could defeat our dragon, but I don't believe you've been able to draw many powerful cards these last few turns,” she tells you, as she observes her hand, then the board, and then lays a card down on her side of the field.

“I place one card face down, and order my dragon to attack your Kuribo!” she shouts, pointing a hoof towards the puff ball. The dragon, it's shimmering scales glowing with power, rears back its head, and then shoots it forward, a burst of energy coming from within it, and arcing straight towards your monster.

“Ah, you fell right into my trap, go Mirror Force!” you cry, waving your hand over your board and causing the card to flip. On the field a shining wall of light appears before your Kuribo.

“Heh, predictable. Go Guard Mines!” she cries out, and with a flip of her wing, her face down reveals the called out card. Suddenly, your mirror force is shattered by a dozen explosions, some of which push against you, before your feel a few heavy weights smack into your chest. With a cry of pain you are tossed backwards as the weights prove to be bombs, that explode, driving you into the railing behind you.

“One trap card disabled, and five hundred life points from your total gone. That leaves you with only eight hundred and fifty, I believe,” said the lunar goddess, as her dragon, frozen as the two traps took effect, and now released, to unleash his furry on your poor fuzzbal.

“Not so fast, I play the other card you didn't counter. Multiply!” you tell her, as you stumble back into position, your hand pushing the card forward. Suddenly the kuribo on your field is gone in a flash of light, and instead, four more of them stand tall and strong, one of which is instantly vaporized as the blue eye's attack slams into it.

“Hmm, interesting strategy. You forced me to waste my card in undoing the first trap. Still, all that does is buy time, not win the game,” she told you with a smirk, as you stare across the field at her. Her dragon, powerful beyond imagination, stands in front of her, a duplicate smirk on its face, while your kuribo stand just a little smaller than before.

“All I have to do is draw the right card, and I can still win this!” you shout at her, not feeling nearly as confident as you sound. The monsters on your field are stronger than the ones in your hand, with the face down being one thousand attack points strong, while the tokens all measure three hundred. The two cards left in your hand are only two hundred each. No where near enough to take down that dragon the Princess controls.

“Yes. So that means you have to focus. Imagine the card you want at the top of your deck, while I try to make it something weaker,” she says, and suddenly you feel her mind weighing against yours', pushing at the walls around your thoughts, as she tries to force your imagined deck along lines she wants.

“Just, focus, and believe in the friendship of the cards,” you say with a sigh, setting your hand down on the deck, and then swiping off the top card. Sadly, this one only has two hundred points again, and your mind grows dark, as you try to focus on that card you need, while Luna smirks, obviously knowing she's winning this game.

“Come on deck, do your duty,” you tell it, and slip your hand out again. This time the results are a little better, as the spell card your draw will help. One last chance to draw that last card you need though.

“Don't fail me. I believe in the Octy that believes I can defeat any oppoinent,” you tell the deck, and pull one final card, this one showing you a two and two zeroes as well, causing your heart to surge.

“Hmm, interesting. You mood is black, as if in despair, but at the core I feel something...” she tells you, her voice sounding close and far off at the same time. You don't tell her what's happening though, as you place your spell care face up.

“I play, Mystik Wak. This care allows me to sacrifice my Kuribo tokens and gain three hundred life points for each of them, bring my total back up to two thousand,” you tell her, watching as the big pan appears to gobble up your tokens, before spitting out shimmering dots of light that pour over you, smelling faintly of oriental food.

“Heh, that doesn't sound that useful to me, seeing as your monsters are still too weak to fight mine,” she tells you, revealing that she had been reading your thoughts again. This time though, you smirk at her, causing her chuckle to cut off as you hold out your cards.

“True, but that spell just let me clear my field so I could play my hand. You see, they're weak individually, but like the elements of harmony, these cards come together to cause a grand effect. Now, I summon Celestia, the FORBIDDEN ONE!!!” you scream, placing all four of your cards. The four legs and the head of Celestia come together on the table before you, and in a blazing glory of rainbow light the goddess herself appears.

“Is that...HAHAHA, that's my sister,” she says falling over laughing while her dragon wavers in front of her.

“Indeed it is, and it wins the game instantly, with a Rainbow of Light attack!” you tell her, and in front of you Celestia lowers her horn, pointing it straight at the monster. With a flash, a column of rainbow fire charges out, blowing away the dragon, the field, and your cards, leaving the Void about you as you walk over to where Luna is still laughing.

“And she had a beard!” she shouts at you, her eyes tearing up as her chest heaves a bit.

“Yeah, kind of hoping you won't mention that part to her,” you admit, as you conjure a chair to sit on, as you wait for Luna to catch her breath. It takes a while, probably only a heartbeat in the real world, but seemingly hours in the dream, as she seems to recover for a moment, only to burst out laughing again a second later.

Finally, after sitting there, amusing yourself with a few light shows, and replaying old cartoons in your head, you hear her gasp, sigh, and then walk over to you, whereupon you banish the distraction and stand tall before Luna, finding your height to be under her's bey a good deal, her head nearly a foot higher than yours here in the world she controls.

“That was an excellent strategy, I must admit,” she tells you, as she sits down in front of you so her head is level with you.

“I was kind of proud of it myself. You said if I couldn't force my way to victory, I should instead try and think about approaching it from another angle. Figured an instant win that seemed weak on its own was the best bet,” you explain to her, and the goddess nods, smiling at you.

“Indeed. Though I would advise against trying such in the future. This worked because I was unaware of this...Exodia thing you based your strategy around. It would not work a second time,” she advises, and you nod, still smiling at her, as now it was time for your prize.

“In accordance with Our word, we now grant you the right to ask a single question of us, that we will answer to the fullest of our ability,” she says, and you almost squee with excitement.

“Um, so, any question, right? I can ask you things you avoid talking about?” you query, getting some clarity on this.

“Any question you ask, I shall answer as best I can, though do remember, my sister and I are truly not omnipotent as some assume. We are powerful, yes, but we did not make this world, nor do we know all the things on it as well as we might,” she tells you.

“Okay then, my question should be answerable, since I want to know something about you and Celestia. Where did you come from?” you ask, and she looks at you, as you make another chair, which you sit down on, though oddly, your head stays level with her's, while her deep blue eyes stare into yours.

“An interesting question. Truly I expected you to ask again about the..mating habits, of Ourself and Our Sister,” she tells you, and you blush a bit, remembering that as the first question you asked Luna when she appeared before you in the Void and offered. She'd then proposed the game, as something to help you learn to control the dream world as she did, and to avoid answering.

“I'm curious about that, don't get me wrong, but I've been chatting with Deasly and DawnChaser a lot, and, well, nopony seems to know where you two came from. Just bang, you were there, and the two of you took stewardship of the Pony Tribes, and protected the land from threats. That begs the question of where you two started out,” you explain.

“Ah, so this is the good Professor's question more than your own?” she asks you, and you shake your head quickly.

“No, not at all. If you ask it, I'll keep anything you tell me in the strictest of confidences. This is just me, being really curious about your history, and this world I've found myself in,” you explain to her, and that seems to give the goddess pause for a moment, before she smiles and chuckles a bit.

“Simple human curiosity then? That's something I think ponies could learn from. So many of Our wards seek only to understand themselves, but not the world about them. Very well, let us begin this tale, which started so long ago,” she said, her mane whipping around and curling about you.

Suddenly the Void is gone. You don't know how you know this, but you do. The Void is a comforting thing, a shield about you as you rest. But now you are drawn from behind it, and dragged into what must be Luna's own dream. Here, her power is absolute, but here she can create for you an interactive history of her world, as the wild scene before you seems to move in rapid reverse, until it gets to a point where you're looking at an old unicorn, studying a book marked with the symbol of an Alicorn.

PreviousChapters Next