The Writers' Group 9,296 members · 56,433 stories
Comments ( 58 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 58
HapHazred
Group Admin

Howdy hoo.

This is a thread in which you can feel free to post about stories and fanfiction without having to worry about group admins looking at you funny or spamming or whatever. I know this is the Writer's Group, not the people who read other people's stuff and talk about it group, but ey, reading and writing go hand in hand, so if you read a cool fanfic, maybe start a discussion about it here. Could be fun.

Only rule is, try not to promote your own stories. This is about showing and telling other folks stories and work. Oh and do try to be sensible and follow the other rules detailed in the group rules, as usual. That'd be swish. Site rules too. That means no linking to M-rated stories (but embedding is fine). Thanks SweetAI for the reminder.

Good luck, friendos. This'll be stickied, too, so it'll be easy to find for anyone who clicks on that little forum button in-between 'members' and 'settings'.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'll just add here not to link directly to mature fanfics when recommending them (though that's true in all the threads anyways).

If you want to recommend a mature fanfic, embed it instead, the same way you would a youtube video. In fact, that's probably the best way to recommend stories anyways. It looks like this:

EA Friend of A Friend
Twilight is away and Spike rapidly becomes bored. Luckily, he has five other awesome friends to hang out with. Doesn't he?
8686 · 17k words  ·  1,196  15 · 17k views

And this is, naturally, a story I recommend...

--Sweetie Belle

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

TIt Spills Over
Berry Punch struggles against the alcoholism that has taken control of her life.
ambion · 7.5k words  ·  372  3 · 4.9k views

I have a folder in my Library named 'The Very Best,' and this was the first story I put there.

Every few months I pull it up and read it from start to finish, and it moves me every time.

The author is sadly inactive now, but he's left this gem for all to enjoy. May you all find it as moving and as fascinating as I do.

Comment posted by Rygger deleted Oct 23rd, 2019

TLegacy
A machine of war awakens in a new world. Can it become something more than it is?
NFire · 1.2m words  ·  1,726  75 · 24k views

It's a thoughtful, profound, slice-of-life story, with a marvelously wry sense of humor. There is action, mystery, scads of comedy, and even a bit of romance. All centered around a gargantuan mobile fortress who really doesn't know what he's meant to do with all these silly ponies.

This.

8686 is a fantastic author whose tone of voice and style writing seem, to me, the closest to the show's, without sacrificing for want of screen-writing structure or narrative cohesion. (I actually think the story you recommend here was one you recommended elsewhere, which is how I came to find him!)

For my part, I'll pick a few.

TWear Flowers in Your Mane
On a day she spends with her surrogate little sister, Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash receives news that will change her life forever. Everypony must deal with loss at some point or another....
jkbrony · 106k words  ·  304  13 · 6.1k views

It's hard to believe this story was written over the course of two years, because I distinctly recall never realizing how long it was taking the author. It's one of those sad fics that's both a tear-jerker and a reflective, almost optimistic piece, simply by virtue of the very topic it deals with.

TWe Live In a Kind World
An angry old stallion frustrates the citizens of Ponyville with his insulting, cantankerous ways. Nopony can stand him, including Princess Twilight and her circle of friends. All the while, Fluttershy quietly looks on.
shortskirtsandexplosions · 9k words  ·  577  38 · 7.3k views

shortskirtsandexplosions tends to write either these really thoughtful, fandom-reflecting pieces (such as this, as I understand it), or funny and bombastic ones. The former, I believe, are among his (?) best, and this one notwithstanding. It's an interesting take on personal moral responsibility in a world where sometimes it doesn't seem to give much of a damn for how we conduct ourselves, and I love how the situation in this story can be almost universally found in anyone's experience.

Comment posted by TDR deleted Oct 23rd, 2019

So...lewd, fetishy stories are also promotable?

TRoad Trip
Tom and Harmony are on vacation. Just how much trouble can a sentient rock and the Tree of Harmony get into?
MisterNick · 8.2k words  ·  9  1 · 367 views

Written for that Season 9 Bingo Writing Contest, this is what happens when Mister Nick is forced to write something that involves: ancestral lands, Baltimare, Fillydelphia, the Tree of Harmony, and the Dragon Lands. Seeing the Tree and Tom (yes, that Tom—the one Rarity thought was a diamond when she was Discorded) be road trip buddies was a surreal treat, to say the least, and how Nick does somehow makes all the nonsense that happens seem quite normal. I think it's the matter-of-factness of his narration...

HapHazred
Group Admin

7031233 I'm going to need you to not link directly to mature rated stories, friendo. Site rules and all.

Yes I go through every link to check if it's M-rated.

You can use the [embed] function instead if you want, since it straight up doesn't show if you don't have ye olde M filter turned off, which is apparently cool by the site mods.

EDIT: sorry, I'm about to get off my train so I can't afford to wait any longer, so I'm afraid I've deleted the comment. Feel free to repost without the M-rated link.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7031235 Yeah sure but no linking directly to M-rated stories, since this group isn't listed as nsfw. Obviously keep talk in forums sfw as well. Embedding m rated stories is fine too, see above.

TDR

Ahh ..... huh, i didn't even realize they were mature...hmm . Not even sure how to embed links....

TRock the Carousel
Rarity is dragged to a rock concert to help her get over her creative burnout. Things spin out of control when she sees the band's vocalist, Twilight Sparkle.
ChibiRenamon · 51k words  ·  541  25 · 7.9k views

Oh wait , there we go.

TMagic School Days
When the CMC asked Discord to help them attend magic school, he pulled an owl out of his hat. Only he didn't exactly have a hat. Which was okay, since their new school had a singing one laying around. Where the hay was Hogwarts anyway?
Dogger807 · 467k words  ·  1,354  112 · 23k views

Oh okay rewrites the mature one... ahh alright... i guess it is suggestive and violent, but it's not really mature... ehhh.

[Adult story embed hidden]

Well, since we're coming up on Nightmare Night, have a horror story:

THelp
All Fluttershy needs is a little bit of help, and everything will be fine. She can always count on her friends to help her in her time of need. They're such good friends. But... where are they?
Daemon of Decay · 3.8k words  ·  409  5 · 11k views
HapHazred
Group Admin

7031355 Cheers boi

Well, hm. The short version is "Everything by Estee, everything by Skywriter, everything by GhostOfHeraclitus, everything by Cold in Gardez." If I have to pick one from each author:

TShipping Sickness
Twilight Sparkle and her bedside table: like two 'ships that pass in the night.
Skywriter · 2.3k words  ·  2,617  33 · 34k views
TNational Geographic Presents: Big Princess Week
Twilight Sparkle notices some odd urges, now that she's suddenly become an alicorn.
Cold in Gardez · 5.4k words  ·  1,276  41 · 13k views
ELady Prismia and the Princess-Goddess
Filly Cadence turns her first heart.
Skywriter · 11k words  ·  736  7 · 11k views
E100% Move = 50% Fire
For some reason, Twilight never got around to emptying her old Canterlot residence, and the Archives are fed up. She has until sunset to pack and leave. And for the first time in her life, she doesn't seem to be paying attention to the deadline.
Estee · 10k words  ·  1,268  18 · 15k views

Oh, and this most certainly

EMoonlight Palaver
Upon Nightmare Moon's return, the leaders of other nations gather to discuss the situation. They're not especially happy about it.
Carabas · 6.9k words  ·  1,140  15 · 16k views

It’s humor might not appeal to everyone, but this is one of the most memorable and underrated stories I know:

TRarity has Dyed
Rarity dyes her mane. Chaos ensues.
Unwhole Hole · 25k words  ·  48  4 · 845 views

Have to recommend Bad Monday, great Hie fanfic that is almost its own story.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/163706/bad-mondays

All three of these stories are RD themed, and are E rated, and I just wanted to show these stories, cuz they’re awesome! I don’t exactly have much to say, since I feel it’s better to check them out yourselves, and support the writers behind these stories.

ERainbow Dash Confesses Her Love to You
Rainbow Dash tells you a secret while you're watching a movie.
BradyBunch · 1.5k words  ·  222  16 · 12k views

I will say though, that this one is vary unique when it comes to the author’s style of writing.

EPrismatic Snuggles
After a little bit of convincing, you and Rainbow Dash snuggle.
CategoricalGrant · 4.7k words  ·  384  4 · 14k views

It’s pretty heartwarming as well, and it’s great!

ECuddling is the best remedy.
After an injury at work sends you to the hospital, your loving mare Rainbow Dash decides to pay you a visit.
TheFimFicCritic · 13k words  ·  565  39 · 20k views

Finally, last but not least, Cuddling is beautifully written, and I highly recommend it, as well as all of these stories!

You forgot the slash there, mate. It's supposed to end with a /embed in brackets, not just embed.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

That certainly isn't the first time I've recommended it! Totally agree.

So, that sounds like Rarity might've been having a bad mane day?

ERarity's Bad Mane Day
Sweetie Belle pulls a prank on Rarity, dying her mane green.
DeiStar · 7k words  ·  864  19 · 21k views

Yay, Shipping Sickness!

Though that's a tough pick. I mean, Skywriter also did "Sun Princess", which is kinda one of the best fics ever, "Hoardsmiths", and "Beyond the Curtain", among others. Though given you listed two by Skywriter and none by GhostOfHeraclitus, it was probably a tough pick for you too! And it seems like a "everything by horizon" goes in there someplace, too...

--Sweetie Belle

7032335 Oh, HECK! I forgot to put one of Ghost's stories in that list. It's so hard to decide which one, a collection might be better.

EObiter Dicta
A collection of short stories, vignettes, and deleted scenes, mostly based in the Civil Serviceverse and tending to be either slice of life or comedy.
GhostOfHeraclitus · 32k words  ·  939  14 · 13k views

"So, uh, the first and indeed only item on the agenda—should really be 'agendum' really—is, ah," Dotted adjusted his spectacles theatrically, "let's see, 'Princess Twilight Sparkle?!??!??!?' I say. That's quite a lot of punctuation. I daren't imagine how that might actually sound..., hah, well—"

"PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE?!??!??!?," Lord Trottingham helpfully demonstrated.

It's been a while since I've read this one, but somebody in this group recommended this story in a thread about stories that had criminally low views. I gave it a go and really enjoyed it.

EThe Web Untangled
Enjoying a peaceful end to a hectic week, Fluttershy contemplates the nature of Twilight's latest diplomatic mission. All while entertaining some unusual house guests!
Impossible Numbers · 18k words  ·  34  1 · 947 views
Comment posted by A Man Undercover deleted Dec 17th, 2019

*coughs emphatically, pointing at Hap's post*

Only rule is, try not to promote your own stories. This is about showing and telling other folks stories and work.

Would being a proofreader count in the self promotion bit?

asking so people don't get confused and post one they proofread only to find out it's not allowed.

HapHazred
Group Admin

7180093 If you're not the author of the story you can promote it.

Neat wait what if you have slot of ideas when proof reading that's used would that fall co author?

HapHazred
Group Admin

Auto correct I ment the story I was thinking of sharing that I proofread I also bounced alot of ideas about with the author quite a few of them was used would that fall under co author or not?

[Unpublished stories cannot be embedded]

Just the one I was talking about before lol I find it good but I'm just helping my friend out hope people like it

THow to Tell Your Friends You're Dating a Changeling
Rainbow Dash has a confession to make. But she doesn't really know how to explain herself.
Infinite Carnage · 107k words  ·  1,818  62 · 28k views

Getting Hot again after seven years, actually holds together an unorthodox ship in ways I haven't seen since Changeling Courtship Rituals, and there's still more to go? Heck, I'd passed on promoting Equestria: Civil War and Bad Future Crusaders for this, so welcome to mambo no. 3 on the Vis-A-Viscera Just-Because-A-Story-Isn't-Done-Doesn't-Mean-It-Isn't-Fun list.

Have a look at it.

Comment posted by Phantomdude333 deleted Aug 21st, 2020
HapHazred
Group Admin

7306782 You had one job.

Only rule is, try not to promote your own stories.

This is how you do it.

EPassing Storms Passing
A famous author and the captain of the Wonderbolts meet again for the last time.
The Red Parade · 1.7k words  ·  33  6 · 533 views

This is a small story that I helped edit. It's pretty cool for the number of words it packs! I gave it a review not too long ago, but it's well worth a read if you're looking for something short and interesting. It's AU and features a pretty interesting roleswap concept, so go take a look if you think that sounds intriguing!

Rated 8 Haps

Confused you say not promote your story and I didn’t promote my story just Saying if you want to read I am not promoting ok don’t be mad be chill

HapHazred
Group Admin

7306833 Lol. That's a promotion friend. You've even put up a promotion thread on a different group for the same story. Saying 'this isn't a promotion' after promoting your story doesn't work around here.

Here's another example of promoting someone else's story.

ETwilight's Secret Shouting
Twilight practices the Royal Canterlot Voice in secret.
Universal Librarian · 2.5k words  ·  196  4 · 3.2k views

This is another story I read! This one is about Twilight shouting. It's also pretty short and I remember it being fun, if a but overly fluffy.

Five Haps!

I am more confused so I can promote some one else story but not mine that doesn’t make sense.

Comment posted by Phantomdude333 deleted Aug 22nd, 2020
HapHazred
Group Admin

7306969 Yes. This thread is for recommending other people's stories.

For example, what you posted again was a promotion for a group you made. That's also not kosher, and frankly, it's making me genuinely rather upset that you're using a thread I made for other people to to plug your own stuff when it clearly says in both the original post not to and says in the group rules not to self-promote. Next time I will be slapping you with a ban, and the only reason I'm not now is because you clearly don't understand English properly.

Since I'm trying to keep things largely wholesome in what I wanted to be a wholesome thread, here is another example of promoting someone else's story:

TLove Will Travel As Long As You Let It
When Gilda received a letter from Rainbow Dash saying she had messed up badly, Gilda knew something was wrong. However, she didn't know how bad things were. Will Gilda be able to help her friend fix her relationship, or will they crash and burn?
Soaring · 14k words  ·  42  4 · 792 views

This is a story I frankly have a few issues with, but it puts some interesting stuff forwards in my opinion which I believe makes it worth a read. The epistolary stuff in the beginning is fairly rare to see in fanfictions, followed by the more demure and slow-paced drama afterwards.

Eleventeen haps out of hap.

hi first time posting in the recommend area but i read this fic a while ago and it got me wanting to write a sequal to it but this is a great story and adds a area to back story gallus not being nice and going into the psycological effects that afffect him from growing up on the streets

TWhy Don’t They Want Me?
Gallus is forced to finally come out about his feelings for having no parents.
Rated Ponystar · 3.7k words  ·  318  8 · 6.2k views

Go read Eakin's Time Loop Trilogy.

Is gud. :V

hawthornbunny
Group Admin

I have it in hardback :twilightsmile:

am i aloud to promote a story still being written?

HapHazred
Group Admin

7384660 So long as it isn't yours, yeah.

Only rule is, try not to promote your own stories. This is about showing and telling other folks stories and work.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/369366/the-amulet-of-shades

here is the story that made me find this website in the first place. this fanfic as the first i ever reed in my life. i was looking for the official mlp comic books when i found a link to a comic book on cantorlot comics called amulet of shades. i reed the entire thing wondering were the concept came from. on the last page of the comic i saw that there is a script meaning that it had to originate from somewhere. so i looked up amulet of shades on google. and scrolled down too see that it came from a website called fimfiction.net. so i reed the entire story and looked at the website. i found this website because of this story. and i could not be happier that i did.

oh god i cant spell lmao

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 58