• Published 14th Mar 2013
  • 14,825 Views, 396 Comments

High Maintenance Alicorn Fillies and You. - FaelaArts



Twilight casts a spell that turns her into a filly, and apparently there's no cure and Celesia has to now look after her.

  • ...
30
 396
 14,825

Hesitation

Walking down the corridor was one of the hardest things Celestia had done in her long life. It was at the very least on par with banishing her own sister, but the feeling in her heart wouldn’t stop pulling her insides in strange patterns. Her body was having trouble moving, as if a lead weight was trying to hold her back.

“What folly” she muttered to herself, turning the corner and pausing at the sight of Luna and Cadence. Standing beside Cadence was Twilight’s brother, but he seemed more focused on on his schmoopy doopy fwoopy woo at this moment in time.

“There you are sister, we were starting to worry” spoke Luna, causing the other two present to turn their heads. What they had been discussing Celestia didn’t know, but she only gave it a passing thought. On her back, Twilight tilted her head, curious at the new people and Aunty Una standing nearby.

“I apologize, I had to say farewell to Twilight’s friends, the element bearers.” Luna nodded at her response, and took a few steps back as Celestia stopped a step away from Cadence. Cadence leaned toward the side, meeting Twilight’s eyes and giving a gentle smile. The little filly giggled, her face breaking into a smile in response.

“I contacted Twilight’s parents, and they said she had been an angel as a child except for the occasional explosion as she attempted magic.” Luna read her report off and Celestia nodded, it seemed they would be no help in taking care of Twilight. She would have to figure out different ways of keeping the little filly occupied and-

“I see Twilight has been quite a handful. You must be missing so much important work that is needed to keep Equestria running. It would be my honor to care of our little alicorn Princess.” Celestia blinked, turning away from Luna and remembering why Cadence was here. Her heart gave a thud in objection, but she ignored it.

“I will be delighted to take you up in your offer. Equestrian politics cannot wait for long or rumours will set in.” The two Alicorns nodded as Celestia spoke, understanding. Twilight merely watched the exchange, her wings flapping nervously as she sensed the atmosphere.

“If it is okay with you and Luna, me and Shining Armor will stay a single night in Canterlot before heading back to the Crystal Empire.” Luna nodded at Cadence’s words, and Celestia followed suit a second later. She was feeling detached from the situation. Everything seemed to be moving too quickly, she wanted things to slow down.

“That is perfectly fine with me, I shall have a room set up for you,” Celestia managed to respond after a moment. On the outside she betrayed nothing, but underneath she was a turmoil of mixed emotions. But Celestia had not gone a thousand years without learning how to ignore emotion.

“Ok, if you hand over Twilight, we will take care of her so you may return to your duties.” Cadence held out a hoof, as if asking Twilight to be put in it. Celestia paused, and for a brief moment she almost wanted to say no and push Cadence away. But Celestia was ignoring that part of her emotion, ever regal, and she gently picked up the little filly and hovered her near Cadence, who picked Twilight up in her magic. Twilight was curious, but she suspected nothing wrong.

“I hope you don’t mind if we retire early. I want to spend some time with Shining around the city before we leave in the morning..” Cadence smiled gently at Celestia, giving Luna a light bow, before she and Shining began walking away. Celestia was frozen to the spot, watching numbly. Twilight noticed she wasn’t going back to Celestia, and opened her mouth and gave a huge cry of objection.

“Shhh,” Cadence spoke, “it’s ok Twilight.” However nothing she said would quiet the little alicorn, who began to try and reach for Celestia. Celestia met Twilight’s eyes, and she immediately stopped struggling and simply gave a cry for help.

“Estwa! Ewtwa Ih Un Anna oh!” Celestia understood Twilight immediately, but her face betrayed none of the racking guilt suddenly running down her spine.

“No Twilight” she replied softly, silencing the filly as if she had used the Canterlot Voice. Twilight sniffed, her fight falling away as tears began to fall from her face. However she merely sobbed quietly. Cadence glanced to Celestia, before gently rocking Twilight back and forth. Twilight began to grow quieter and quieter, eventually crying herself to sleep.

As they left, Celestia felt a part of her go with them, the pain on Twilight’s face burned into her mind.


Celestia was dreaming, that much she was certain of. It could have been the fact she lived with a mare who often messed with her dreams that gave her a sense of lucidity as she dreamt. Recalling her steps, she remembered arriving at the meeting place and seeing Cadence and giving over Twilight, she had then returned to her duties before heading up to her chambers.

“I am asleep, but where is Luna?” Celestia gazed around her dream world, looking for the dark blue Alicorn that normally became visible when called. However no such shape appeared, so Celestia began walking.

Her mind was an absolute mess, someplace Discord would feel right at home. The gardens, normally full of sunflowers and sparkling brightly were uprooted, flying through the air and screaming as they burned under the sun that was close above. Celestia didn’t feel the heat.

Watching the world burn around her, she wondered what had caused her mental world to fracture like so; the precarious balance she normally kept inside had not been this chaotic since the first year Luna had been gone. It was then that a fully realised purple alicorn strode into her dream-state. Her wings were wider than Celestia’s, hair billowing like folds of paper as it sparkled in the sunlight. But what struck Celestia was not the fully grown body, but they eyes. They were so full of scorn, so full of betrayal and hate that Celestia felt tears come to her face before being burned away by the sun.

“Celestia, it is so nice to see you again. How many has it been; a hundred, a thousand? Cadence took care of me even as the entire world burned away from your ‘love’ for your little ponies. I am no longer the tiny filly you tossed away like some piece of garbage just because I inconvenienced you.”

Celestia reeled back, struck by Twilight’s words like a slap in the face. Her feelings bubbled to a point, and finally her wall cracked and broke to pieces. Tears streaming down her face , the sun above began to dim and die.

“I-I couldn’t give you the care you need, I’m not a mother!” Twilight laughed at her words, a hollow and shallow mock of the laugh Celestia had once grown to love. The world began to grow cold.

“Yes you could have been, you just decided that you didn’t want the responsibility.” Twilight turned and began to walk away, the world reforming into darkness with each step she took. Celestia crumpled, her mane vanishing into air and she began to fall. Eyes open, she gazed at the cold hard floor as it began to race toward her, and prepared for the end.

Thump, she bolted awake, heart beating loud in her ears. It was midnight, she was in her room. Holding her head in her hooves, she finally realised why she had felt so reluctant to give up Twilight.

“I don’t want to give her up.” With her feelings finally realised, she realised there was only one action to take. Standing up, she walked over to her balcony, and flared her wings. Twilight was depending on her, and she had failed her alicorn filly once by refusing to keep her in her care.

She was not going to make the second mistake of letting her go.