• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 1,813 Views, 16 Comments

Crashing Clouds - mylittleescape



A favor gone terribly wrong sends Rainbow Dash on a powerful emotional journey

  • ...
3
 16
 1,813

Forgiveness is Magic

After Rainbow Dash put a dam on her current of tears Scootaloo spoke again. This time, however, the quiet and comforting tone of the filly’s voice could be enough to shatter said dam. The whole occurrence gave Dash a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. She immediately recognized the feeling as one that had been quite constant in her fillyhood. It felt like someone was poking at a fresh would of hers.

“I…I’m sorry, guys,” she uttered the phrase she had always avoided.

“Like Scootaloo said,” Sweetie made her way over to the corner where Dash was sitting. “It’s okay to be sad, Rainbow Dash.”

“I’m not sad. It’s more of a guilty feeling. It’s a long story, you don’t want to hear it,” Rainbow Dash shook her head.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders all sat their blank flanks to the ground. Something about that gesture stirred Rainbow Dash’s insides. Nopony had offered her such gestures of kindness unless they were her very closest friends. But these fillies only knew her by associating. They were mere acquaintances, yet they still cared so deeply for her.Dash did not think highly enough of herself to accept the gesture on any other day. However, on this day, she was weak and tired and just wanted it to be over.

“Thanks, guys. I just… I put some sort of mask on for others so that I’m not a bother to them. I’m always afraid that if I say how I really feel they’ll think I’m just annoying and want attention. So, to avoid them assuming things about me so I act annoying and attention seeking. I know it doesn’t really make sense, but I just don’t think as highly of myself as I let off. It’s just easier that way,” the older mare explained.

“I knew there was no way somepony could be so confident all the time,” Applebloom raised her voice.

“Yeah, even I feel insecure sometimes, “ Scootaloo admitted.

“But why now? Why did you start feeling blue about this today?” Sweetie Belle pried.

“Because I wrecked Twilights home and now she hates me,“ Rainbow Dash said as she bowed her head.

“She doesn’t hate you! She’s prolly just disappointed. Friends don’t hate other friends,” Applebloom explained.

“Of course she hates me, I’m a terrible friend. I took it too far. I broke her house. She’s probably better off without my insensitive flank anyway.”

“No she’s not. All you guys need each other. Best friends stick together no matter what,” Sweetie Belle said while looking around at her best friends.

That’s one thing that the journey had taught Rainbow Dash; one will always need their friends. She had been feeling so alone since she left town, but knowing that her only friends hated her was even worse. She adored those ponies, whether she was too stubborn to admit it or not. Too stubborn, meaning that she had sworn to herself not to let her guard down and leave herself vulnerable. Now, here she was, finally admitting it, and her friends were nowhere to be found. It goes to show that you don’t know what you’ve got until its gone.

“In order to make this whole thing right you need to apologize to Twilight,” Zecora rhymed.

“You haven’t apologized? Well no wonder she won’t talk to you, Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo said obnoxiously.

The rainbow-mane pony bowed her head and said, “I had too much pride to say I was sorry. “

“Go now, and do not hesitate. If you wait any longer it might be too late,” advised Zecora.

“Right! Thank’s for all of the help guys. I… I really appreciate it,” Rainbow dashed out the door.

Dash was shaking and her heart was galloping as she stepped into PonyVille. This was the ultimate battle against her biggest fears. She knew that she had to finally be honest and vulnerable to her friend. It was something she had never done before, which made the anxiety grow. Defeating this fear was crucial to say the least. More importantly, Twilight’s forgiveness was crucial to Dash’s sanity. How would she keep her hooves on the ground without Twilight?

She headed in the direction of Fluttershy’s house, which required passing through the center of town. Without expecting it, she ran in to a familiar face. She stumbled then looked up to see whom she had bumped into so carelessly. Not only was it familiar, but also it was exactly the face she was looking for. It was none other than Twilight Sparkle and her secretary, Spike, who was riding on her back.

“Twilight, I need to talk to you,” Dash blurted out before she lost the courage.

“Rainbow Dash… You’re a mess,” Twilight pointed out.

“I know. It’s a long story. Can we go somewhere more private?”

“Fine. But make it quick, I’m on my way somewhere,” Twilight said coldly.

The pair walked to a small but clean alleyway in between a donut shop and a café. Rainbow remembered to talk a calm deep breath before spilling her guts, but her heart wouldn’t cease to pound. All she could do was hope her friend wouldn’t hate her forever.

“Twilight Sparkle, I am sincerely and honestly sorry for what I did to your home. The fault is mine, and I accept that. I knew I was taking a risk by going so fast towards your home but I did it anyway. And I’m sorry I didn’t apologize before, but my pride has a way of getting the best of me,” Rainbow explained.

Twilight sighed. It wasn’t sarcastic or bored. On the contrary, it was pure and filled with sadness. Her eyes grew glossier as the seconds passed until a complete layer of glass had formed. The purple mare stepped towards Rainbow and looked up into her large eyes.

“I forgive you,” She whispered.

Dash took a step back in astonishment. This was not one of the outcomes she had imagined. She had thought that, at best, Twilight would take a few days to consider her apology. This exceeded expectations to say the least. Plus, it gave Rainbow Dash a strange, warm feeling in her stomach.

“Rainbow Dash, you are one of my best friends, and I could never stay mad at you. Not as long as you do the right thing and apologize.”

“Thanks, Twilight,” Dash said as Twilight leaned in for a hug.

“So, shall I take a note?” Asked Spike, causing both mares to jump. The two giggled and composed themselves.

“Yes. Dear Princess Celestia,” Twilight started.

“I’ll take it from here,” Dash butted in. “Recently I had to learn the hard way that hiding how you feel doesn’t always work out. Sometimes it’s best to let your friends know that you’re sad instead of holding it all inside. Friends are people who love you no matter what.”

Comments ( 6 )

Rather Anticlimactic. I was expecting... well, more. Maybe expand it a bit? It's a great story, but I definitely was kinda disappointed. 4.5 stars, and a nice story overall.

~E.C.

199991

needs about 20% more best pony luna..

This story was awesome I love it and it certainly brought things into perspective well for me at least but anyway it was amazing

Something abou this story made me favorite it after this reread, when I hadn't after other times.

Login or register to comment