• Published 1st Feb 2012
  • 1,813 Views, 16 Comments

Crashing Clouds - mylittleescape



A favor gone terribly wrong sends Rainbow Dash on a powerful emotional journey

  • ...
3
 16
 1,813

Prologue

Prologue:


“PonyVille’s number one demolition Pegasus, at your service!” Rainbow Dash boasted.

“Uh.. Right. So do you remember what I asked of you, Rainbow Dash?” Twilight Sparkle replied.

“Yeah, of course I do! But… could you maybe remind me?” Dash lied.

Twilight sighed. This was so like Dash. But she explained anyway, saying, “I want to expand my book collection. It would be a huge help if you could knock down the northern wall of shelves so that we can expand the perimeter, thus creating plenty of space for the latest additions to my book collection.”

“Okay, that’s kid stuff. I could demolish this wall in my sleep,” Dash assured Twilight.

“Just be careful not to damage the roof or anything, got it?”

“Right,” Dash said as she secured her lucky weather patrol goggles on her muzzle and took to the sky (with rope in mouth of course).

The wrecking ball at the end of the rope was heavier than the mare had expected. At least she knew that the rope was secured tightly to it, thanks to her pal Applejack. She hesitated to build up for her first blow, but she was already breaking one heck of a pony sweat.

“Don’t worry, The Dash can do anything. I’ll be done in ten seconds flat. Piece of cake,” She reassured herself through the rope that her jaw was still clenched tightly on to.

She flew backwards as if she was winding up for the pitch, and bolted forward with speed and precision pulsing from her wings. This Pegasus had it covered. The direction the weight in her mouth was pulling shifted from behind her to in front of her, actually pulling the Pegasus a jolt forward. However, the impact was quite on target. A large portion of the wall had collapsed.

“Yeah baby!” Rainbow dash squealed with delight. She looked to Twilight for her reaction.

“That was good, Rainbow. Now just a few more knocks and then Big Macintosh is going to bring a few construction pony friends of his over after lunch,” Twilight babbled.

“Just good? That’s all you thought? Not amazingly fantastisuper? The cooliest and most awesomeful thing you’ve ever seen?” She gloated once again.

“Yes, it was good. Now, let’s move on, Spike and I are starving.”

Dash hated it when stuck up ponies didn’t realize her awesomeness. She knew she was the coolest pony in all of Equestria, so why didn’t everypony else? She had always kept the weather bright and shiny, always stuck up for her friends, and never turned her pony swag off. She was best pony, or so she convinced herself.

This next blow had to be something that would knock Twilights hoofs off so hard that Princess Celestia would feel it. She flew back, gained momentum, and raced onward as fast as she could. Which was extremely fast. The wrecking ball soared behind her and before she knew it- BOOM!

The earth seemed to shatter under that one collision. Dash could’ve sworn that even the sky shook from it. She lifted her chin up with pride and looked to the sky while waiting for her applause. However, the only sound was the sound of shock. It was emanating so loudly from Twilights facial expression that Vinyl Scratch DJ a whole album to it. She really must’ve impressed Twilight now, Dash thought.

However, when Rainbow Dash looked down at what she had done her selfish pride had drained from her body. Insecurity flowed through the space where it used to be. She dashed down to Twilight and Spike. The closer she flew, the clearer it became that there were tears in poor Twilight Sparkle’s eyes.

“Twilight, It'll be fine. I must’ve been going too fast. That’s me, ya know? The speediest flyer in Equestria,” Dash tried to reason.

“Rainbow Dash, this isn’t time for your self-centered excuses. You destroyed my home. And more importantly, my books,”

Spike looked on from the sidelines with a helpless gleam in his eyes. His hand stretched out to them and his mouth opened, as if he was going to offer some helpful gesture to them. Unfortunately, he couldn’t bear to utter a single word. He had never seen poor Twilight so sad.

“Hey, we can fix it up in a jiffy. No problem.”

“Just go. I told you to be careful and you pushed it too far. Leave,” Twilight spoke through the hot salty tears that were escaping her eyes.

Dash flew off.