• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 5,756 Views, 145 Comments

Crazy About Apples - Silentpegasus



One of Shining Armor's oldest friends has just been released from a five year stay at a mental institution, he ask's Twilight to look after him and a ceratin apple farmer begins to take notice of the stallion...What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
7
 145
 5,756

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Applejack had just arrived in front of the restaurant as she saw a green stallion in a suit trot up to her from the other direction. Gear looked ahead to see Applejack in a stunning dress. His jaw hit the floor at her beauty, Applejack marveled at his attire and proceeded to blush.

“Hey....Applejack, you look great.”

“Thank ya kindly. You’re not so bad yourself.” the two ponies avoided eye contact as they made their way inside. Gear started to look around for Shinning Armor and Cadence but didn’t find them there, soon a pony wearing a waiters’ uniform trotted in front of them.

“Can I help you two?” he said in a happy tone.

“Yeah, we have a reservation for four, under the name Shining Armor.” the pony withdrew a clip board and scanned the list.

“I’m sorry sir there’s no-pony by that name on this list.” Gear thought for a moment.

“How about one for Gear Grinder?”

“Ah yes here we go. Table for two, follow me please.” the waiter then brought them over to a private booth away from the other tables. It was outside quaint, and had a magnificent view of the water lake in the back of the building. “I’ll be back with your menu’s momentarily.” the stallion said as he trotted away. Gear then looked over to Applejack who held the same confused look.

“AJ, do ever get the feeling that you’ve been set up?”

“Eeyup. I guess Cadence and Shinning wanted us to have some privacy.” she said as the waiter returned with their menu’s.

“Good evening sir and madam, can I start you off with some water?”

“Sure.” Gear said as he looked at his menu. Outside Cadence, Shinning and Twilight were waiting in a nearby bush. Cadence was sticking her head out and watching the two earth ponies as they continued to talk.

“Oh they are so cute together!” Cadence cooed.

“Why are we doing this again?” Twilight asked.

“Oh come on Twiley, you have to admit this is fun. You should be taking notes for when you get a date.” Twilight looked back at her brother with an angry look in her eye.

“Shh!” Cadence motioned as she tried to listen in on their conversation.

Applejack was trying to find a conversation starter but couldn’t find the right words, she kept glancing to Gear and at her menu, praying that some-pony would break the silence.

“Okay, let’s shoo the elephant out of the room.” Gear said as he put down his menu.

“Beg yer pardon?”

“I know that Cadence told you about my......writing hobby.” Applejack took a quick gulp and let out a sigh.

“Yeah, that’s why I checked out that book this afternoon. Ah wanted you to think that ah-” she was cut off by Gear raising his hoof.

“AJ, you don’t need to act smart and know about books for me to be impressed with you.” he said with a grin.

“R-really? Why, ah mean your a big fancy and sophisticated author, surely you have been on hundreds of date’s with beautiful-”

“To be honest AJ, this is the first date I’ve been on in a long time and you already have my respect. You’re smart, strong, hard working not to mention beau-” he shut his mouth before he continued. He looked over to see the orange mare blushing vibrantly.

“You....you really think ah’m beautiful?” she said with a weak smile.

“Y-yeah. I was actually surprised that you didn’t have a colt-friend.” he said as he scratched the back of his mane.

“Well, thank yah kindly, ah reckon yer pretty cute too. Ah was just too nervous to say something.” she said as her blush intensified. Gear then heard a noise come from a nearby bush, Gear squinted and saw three horns popping out of a bush. He motioned with his head towards Applejack who saw the obscurity.

“Looks like Shinning and Cadence are here after all and it looks like they brought Twilight along too.” Applejack let out a grumble, Gear’s eyes lit up. “Hey AJ, I have an idea.”

“What?” Gear leaned in close and whispered his plan to the mare who proceeded to giggle. Gear got up and left the table. Back in the bush Cadence, Shinning and Twilight watched in confusion.

“Where is he going?” Cadence asked.

“Maybe the restroom?” Shinning said.

“That’s probably-”

“CAN I HELP YOU THREE!? “ the three ponies jumped in fright and spun around to see Gear glaring at them with a blank look on his face.

“Oh Gear......we were just...um.”

“Save it, my love life is not a subject for your entertainment.” he looked back at the ponies with anger in his eyes, they all adverted his gaze.

“We’re sorry, we just wanted every thing to go smoothly.” Shinning said as he put a hoof on his friends shoulder.

“I appreciate the thought but I’m fine. AJ and I are leaving, we’re going to go have a REAL DATE. So if you all don’t mind I would appreciate it if you would all just let me do this on my own.” he looked over at Cadence who had a sad look in her eyes. Gear rolled his eyes and gave a heavy sigh. “I’ll give Twilight details and she’ll pass them off to you okay?” the mares’s eyes lit up, he then noticed that twilight had a pen and paper behind her back. Gear then returned to Applejack.

“Let’s go. They agreed not to follow us again.”

“Good, now let’s go get some real food.” After that little incident the two earth ponies decided to go to Sugar Cube Corner for a nice casual visit. It was getting late, and they decided to go back to Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack kept looking at the stallion as they made their way up the path. “Hey can ah tell you something?”

“Sure.”

“When we all first met you at Sugar Cube Corner, Rainbow and the others seemed to think that there was something wrong with you, to be honest ah got that vibe too. Ah hope you can forgive me.” Gear looked at the mare with a guilty look in his eyes.

“It’s fine, I can understand why they would think that. I haven’t really had a charming life. I’ve seen some things......horrible things.” he said as he looked to the ground.

“You mean your parents?” Gear gave a nod, tears started to form in his eyes. Applejack brought him into a hug. “What happened? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“There was a fire.......They didn’t make it out.” he said as a single tear left his eye. Applejack held him tighter.

“Mah folks are gone too, they died protecting me an Applebloom from a pack of Timber Wolves.”

“I’m so sorry. You didn’t have to-”

“No, ah asked you about your parents first. It only seemed fair that you know about mine.”

“You still didn’t have to.......how about we change the subject?” he said with a nervous look in his eye. “I just got the money for the tractor parts, so it should be up and running soon.”

“Thank you kindly I don’t know how to thank you.”

“It’s no problem...but maybe you’ll think of something.”

“Hey, why do you like working with machines anyway? You obviously don’t need the money, so why do it?” she asked as the two continued to trot down the dirt path.

“I just enjoy helping ponies with mechanical issues. Machinery is the building blocks of civilization and I feel like I’m a part of that.” Applejack was stunned at his response.

“Wow, ah never thought of it like that, so you feel a part of something bigger than yourself?” Gear nodded “That’s very good out look on life.”

“Well how about you? You alway’s worked on the farm?”

“Yeah, all my life. Mah dad was a farmer, his dad was a farmer and so on. It’s in our blood.” she said proudly. The two reached the farm house and made their way up the stairs and stopped outside Applejack’s door, the two started to blush profusely. “Ah had a really great time tonight.”

“Yeah, me too.....do you wan to......I don’t know, hang out after work tomorrow?” he said in a nervous tone, Gear looked over to the mare who drew closer and pressed her lips on his, she tasted like apples. As she broke the kiss Gear’s face was blushing profusely.

“That answer your question?” she said with a grin. Gear nodded and trotted over to his room, once inside he let out a heavy sigh of relief. As he laid in bed his mind began to run and he began to think out loud.

“Today was a good day. AJ is amazing, her friends are welcoming and kind. Even Shinning and Cadence are happy, for once everything is working out.” he said as he began to fall asleep but not before hearing a familiar malicious voice.

We’ll see how long that lasts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in Canterlot Shinning Armor and Princess Cadence teleported back inside their room in Canterlot Castle, they each gave a yawn and started to get ready for bed. As Cadence was brushing her mane a thought crossed her mind.

“Hey Shinning, can I ask you something?” she said as she turned to look at her husband.

“Sure hun, what’s up?”

“Earlier today Gear said that his first year at the institution was unpleasant. What did he mean by that?” Shinning froze in place as the memories came rushing back to that year. Cadence looked at him with an eyebrow raised. “I think I have a right to know, Gear is one of my best friends.” Shinning gave his wife a sigh and trotted over to her.

“It’s not something I can explain, you need to see it to believe it.”

“So you’re not going to tell me?” she said in an aggravated tone.

“No, I'll tell you. I just need some time to find something.”

“What?”

“His file.” Cadence looked back at him with a confused look.

“Why would his file be hard to find? If we just go to the hospital I’m sure they would-” she was cut off Shinning raising a hoof.

“No. Their file is altered and I need some time to get the un-edited version.” Cadence looked a back at him in confusion. Shining came over and put a hoof on her shoulder. “You’ll understand when I find it.” with that Shinning and Cadence crawled into bed and drifted off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter :applecry: I've been busy with family for the holidays. I'll try and find time soon to work on the story.:twilightsmile: