• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 5,756 Views, 145 Comments

Crazy About Apples - Silentpegasus



One of Shining Armor's oldest friends has just been released from a five year stay at a mental institution, he ask's Twilight to look after him and a ceratin apple farmer begins to take notice of the stallion...What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
7
 145
 5,756

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Gear galloped down the road until he reached Sweet Apple Acres. It was 5:05 am. As he made it to the barn he saw the orange mare talking with Big Mac. He stopped in front of the two out of breath. “Sorry...I’m late....overslept.” The mare looked at him with a grin.

“It’s alright partner, yer only five minutes late we haven’t even started yet.” Gear gave a sigh of relief. “Yer gonna be working with me today in the south field.” she said as the two trotted down the dirt path.

“Alright sounds good what are we gonna do?”

“Buck some trees.”

“Okay how exactly do you do that?” Applejack looked back at him with a small giggle.

“Just watch and learn city boy.” Applejack started to gallop towards a tree when she was around five feet away she pulled a 180 degree spin and her back hooves connected with trunk of the tree and the apples fell from the branches, she stood back taking pride in her work. Gear looked in amazement at the now apple-less tree. “Yer turn.” Gear gulped and proceeded to imitate Applejack, he was doing great until he tried to turn. His back hoof slipped and he fell to the ground face first, as he collected himself he saw Applejack laughing to herself, she then trotted over and helped him up. “Don’t sweat it sugar cube, no-pony get’s it the first time, just practice kicking the tree first.” she said as she walked him over to the tree and positioned him in front of the tree. “Okay, now just kick.” Gear did as she said and kicked the tree, he felt his hoof make contact. He looked back to see twelve or so apples on the ground. “See like ah said.”

“Okay so let’s get started then.” he said with a grin. The two worked at clearing the south field, as he was on his fifteenth tree he suddenly felt light headed and collapsed. AJ rushed over to him and pulled him in the shade. Gear drifted off into sleep and began dreaming, he dreamt of a field on fire and he was caught in the middle of it, the flames were roaring around him he began to panic suddenly a voice called out to him.

“Wake up!” as his eyes snapped open he felt cold water being poured on him. He took a deep breath trying to calm his pounding heart. “Hey are yah all right there sugar cube?” he looked up to see the orange mare holding an empty bucket, with a concerned look in her eye.

“Yeah, I’m fine I just..” he stumbled as he got to his hooves, Applejack caught him and put his hoof over her shoulders.

“Oh no you don’t, ah know heatstroke when ah see it, let’s get you back to the farm.” she said as she continued to trot back towards the farm house with the stallion’s arm around her.

“Thanks.”

“Yer welcome.” AJ said as a slight blush rose to her face. “Hey can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Before ah woke you up you were screaming, why?” Gear bit his lip and gave a deep sigh.

“I was having a nightmare, it happens.”

“What was it about?”

“I’d rather not say.”

“Okay then ah won’t pry.” the two continued to trot along the path. “Thanks for fixing our tractor.” she said with a smile.

“I didn’t fix it yet, I still need the right parts. I’ll have the money soon, then I need to go shopping for them.”

“How much do they cost maybe ah could-”

“No, I can take care of it. Finding the parts is going to be more of a chore then paying for them anyway.”

“But still how much do ah owe you?”

“You don’t owe me a thing, I offered to buy the parts. Plus I can tell that you guys aren’t exactly swimming in bits.” Applejack then looked at him with a frown on her face.

“So you think yer helping out the poor and needy is that it?”

“No! I was just trying to be nice. I can tell that you and your family do well for yourselves and I know you’re the proud type and I respect that, but I know the parts you need aren’t in your budget at the moment.”

“Well how much do they cost?”

“500 bits. Could go to 800.” Applejack’s jaw dropped at the price.

“How in the hay can you afford that?”

“Let’s just say I have some bit’s hidden away for a rainy day.”

“But still that’s a lot of money, how did you manage to get that much money?” Gear let out a sigh.

“Inheritance.” Applejack suddenly adverted her eyes from the stallion who was now looking down at the ground.

“Ah’m mighty sorry for asking that, it was out of line.”

“It’s fine.” The two fell silent until they reached the farm house. Once two got inside AJ sat Gear down on the couch and fetched him some water. He drank the water down with haste, Applejack then sat down next to him and put a hoof on his shoulder.

“You okay?”

“I am now, thanks.” he said as his stomach let out a loud growl. “Heh sorry I skipped breakfast this morning.”

“No problem what’s got yer interest?”

“I guess just an apple will due.” the orange mare complied and tossed him the fruit, Gear caught it between his hooves and took a bite out of it Applejack took one herself and sat back down next to the stallion.

“So what did you do in Canterlot?” Gear stopped chewing and thought for a moment.

“I worked on the Canterlot railroad for a while.”

“How long ago was that?”

“A few years ago.”

“What did you do for the railroad?”

“I worked on the tracks and on the trains that arrived and left.” Applejack’s eyes lit up.

“Really? That sounds interesting.”

“Yup. It was fun, ponies were nice and the pay was good, but I only did it for a year.”

“Why?”

“Something came up.”

“What?”

“I’d rather not say.” Applejack rolled her eyes at the response.

“Fine be all mysterious and what not. It’s almost lunch time you want anything?

“Sure, I’ll just make myself a sandwich.” he said as he got to his hooves and trotted into the kitchen, after they both finished lunch they returned to work. The rest of the day wet fairly smooth, by 3:00 pm. the entire south orchard was apple free. The two trotted back to the farm house and put away their tools. Gear was just about to leave the barn when Applejack called to him.

“Hey Gear hang on a second.”

“Yeah what’s up?”

“Listen me and the girls have a poker game tonight, do you wanna come?” she asked as her cheeks began to turn red.

“Um..Sure if it’s not to much of a hassle for you.”

“It’s no problem at all It’ll be nice to have some-pony new at the table.”

“Okay then when is it?”

“7:00 pm in the barn here.”

“Alright then I’ll see you then.” Gear gave a final wave and began the walk back towards the library. He was trotting along when he saw a familiar cyan pegasus fly up next to him. “What do you want now Dash?” he grumbled.

“Hey easy I’m just here to say hi.” Rainbow said as she rolled her eyes.

“Alright then what’s up?”

“Not much, how’s the tractor coming along?”

“I need some parts then I’ll be able to fix it.”

“What part’s do you need?”

“A carburetor, some spark plugs, shocks and a whole mess of others.”

“Sounds like a big job.”

“It is.”

“Well I’ll see you later.” Rainbow said as she started to take off

“Yeah see ya tonight.” Rainbow stopped and landed next to the stallion.

“What do you mean by ‘I’ll see you tonight?’”

“Applejack invited me to play poker with you guys tonight.” Rainbow had an evil smile spread across her face.

“Really now...Okay then see you tonight.” she took off down the road leaving a cloud of dust behind her. Gear continued on his way and reached the library, he opened the door to find Twilight reading a copy of ‘The Winning Hoof: Poker Strategy Guide.’

“Oh hey Gear what’s up?”

“Nothing much, I see your preparing for the poker game tonight.” he said with a chuckle.

“Yeah I....wait how did you know about that.”

“Applejack told me, she also invited me to the game. I hope that’s alright.”

“It’s fine just watch out for Rainbow Dash.”

“Why?”

“Not one of us have been able to beat her. She’s got a killer poker face.

“Well, maybe I can fix that.”

“You know how to play?

“I’ve played a few times. I’m just gonna take a quick nap before we go.” he said as he trotted up to his room and laid down to rest from the tiring day.

Gear woke up to see Twilight standing next to his bed with an anxious look on her face. “C’mon were gonna be late for the game.”

“Alright hang on a second.” he said as he got to his hooves, he stretched and then trotted to the bathroom and popped a pill in his mouth. He returned to his room to grab his coin pouch. “Okay I’m all set.” he said as he descended the stair case. The two made their way to the familiar farm house the two saw a light coming from the barn and made their way inside. Gear was surprised to see a full buffet table with drinks and all sorts of sweets. He said hi to every-pony, soon they broke out the poker table and took their seats. As Gear glanced around the room he saw faces of worry, boredom and confidence.

“Okay every-pony, since we have a rookie with us tonight I’ll try and go easy on you all.” Rainbow said with a devilish smirk, the other ponies rolled their eyes at the mare’s attitude. AJ dealt the cards for the first round, Twilight was the first to loose all of her money, then Fluttershy bowed out, Rarity and Pinkie followed suit. AJ was the last one to go before it was just Rainbow and Gear. Gear had been studying the cyan mare during the entire game, who had kept a very good poker face, but she was slipping. Little by little Gear was putting the pieces together in his head until it finally clicked. a large grin appeared across his face. “What are you smiling at?” Rainbow asked.

“Tell me how many times have you won?”

“I lost track after twenty five.” she said in a cocky voice

“Okay and how many losses?”

“Zero, never lost a game. Why?”

“Just curious.”

“What ever let’s finish this game!”

“I agree. This is something I’ve always wanted to say, I’m all in.” he said as he pushed the pile of bit’s to the center. The other ponies gasped in surprise even Rainbow was shocked by this action. Dash did the same with her bit’s still holding a cocky grin.

“Well you gotta learn sometime kid. Check it Straight flush.” she said as she laid her cards on the table. The mares all looked at the cards in surprise, Rainbow began to move her hoof towards the pile of bits. “I’ll take these now-”

“That’s good but not good enough.” Gear laid his cards on the table. “Royal Flush.” Rainbow’s grin shattered and was dumfounded, she had lost. The room became silent, the ponies couldn’t believe there eyes Rarity went as far as to faint. Gear began to collect the bits and broke them into six stacks, he then went around to the five other mares and gave them back the bit’s they had lost.

“Why are you giving them their bit’s back?” Rainbow asked as she snapped back to reality.

“I have no real need of money, seeing that look on your face was payment enough.” he said with a smile. “But I will keep yours though, think of it as a memento for the occasion.”

“How did you beat me? Beginners luck?”

“Skill always beats luck and the fact that for years I spent every Wednesday afternoon practicing poker.” he said with a grin.

“THAT’S NOT FAIR! YOU CHEATED!”

“I never cheated.” Gear said in a stern tone.

“Yeah you did, you never told us that you were good!” Rainbow yelled

“You never asked, you just assumed I was bad. Know thy enemy Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow was about to protest but couldn’t find a reasonable argument. Gear then trotted over to Applejack to give her back the bit’s, she refused.

“Ah can’t take those bit’s you won em fair and square.”

“Yeah and now I’m giving them back to you.”

“But why?”

“I don’t really need the money, it’s just going to sit in a bank somewhere collecting dust, you might get some use out of them.” Applejack looked at the stallion who had a weak grin on his face.

“All right. Thank yah kindly.” she said as she grabbed the small bag. Soon the party came to a close and the ponies went home. Applejack decided to go to bed, soon after her friends had left. No matter how she tried she couldn’t get the green stallion out of her head. “Ugh, why can’t ah stop thinking about him? I mean he’s nice, helpful, hard working and cu-” she stopped herself at the last one and felt herself blush. After another hour of tossing and turning so she finally felt herself drift off to sleep.

Twilight and Gear were walking back to the library talking about the night’s events.

“Seriously where did you learn how to play like that?”

“Lot’s of practice.” Gear said as he avoided eye contact with the lavender mare.

“Well yeah I know but I mean how could you have spent every Wednesday afternoon playing Poker?” Gear glared at the mare and let out a deep breath.

Ugh! How is she not getting this?

“Wednesday was the only day they let me out of my room while I was at the institution.” Twilight’s eyes shrank at what he had just said. “During that time I learned how to play poker and a whole mess of other games.”

“Who would you play against?”

“Some patients. Well, only the ones that weren’t hopped up on drugs twenty-four seven. But I did join some guards once in a while for a game or two.”

“You were friends with the guards?”

“I guess, most of the time they pitied me and let me win when I was first starting out, then we started playing for real and I still beat them. Most of them were impressed, others reacted like Rainbow did.”

“What did you use for money?”

“We mostly used crackers, snacks a whole assortment of useless items.” Gear said as he looked back at the mare, who was avoiding eye contact.

“Did they treat you okay while you were there?” Gear fell silent trying to find the right words to describe the five years of hell he had gone through in that place.

“It was....adequate.” Neither of them said a word for the rest of the walk back to the library, when they opened the door Spike was waiting for them with a letter in his claw and an annoyed look on his face.

“There you two are, I’ve been waiting for hours!”

“Sorry Spike the game went a little longer than expected, what’s the letter for?”

“It’s from the princess.” he said as he handed the letter to Twilight. The tiny dragon then let out a massive yawn and fell asleep on the couch.

“Uh-oh.” Twilight said as she finished the letter.

“What?” Twilight handed the letter to Gear and began to read the parchment.

Dear Twilight Sparkle

I must see you in Canterlot in two days. I heard that you are looking after Shining Armor’s friend in Ponyville, but that will have to be rescheduled for another time. I’m sorry my faithful student but your presence is mandatory and Gear Grinder will have to go back to the institution as soon as you arrive. I cannot take the risk of him becoming unstable while you are away, unless you can find some-pony els to look after him, he will have to be moved back to the asylum.

~Princess Celestia.

Gear let out a heavy sigh and hung his head. “Well it was fun while it lasted.”

“I’m sorry Gear. Looks like this is the end of your vacation.” Twilight said with a sad look on her face.

“It’s fine Twi, I knew this wouldn’t last forever. When do you need to leave?”

“I have to be in Canterlot in two days so we have to leave by tomorrow afternoon.”

“Okay, I’ll start packing.” he said with a sad look on his face. Twilight tried to offer some words of hope but none came to mind. She re-read the letter over and over until her eyes lit up in a sudden realization.

“Spike!” she yelled.

“What? I’m up?” he said as he fell off the couch in surprise.

“Take a letter.”

“Now?” he said as he yawned.

“Yes now.” Spike grabbed a quill and paper in his claws, ready to write. “Dear Princess Celestia.......”