• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 5,756 Views, 145 Comments

Crazy About Apples - Silentpegasus



One of Shining Armor's oldest friends has just been released from a five year stay at a mental institution, he ask's Twilight to look after him and a ceratin apple farmer begins to take notice of the stallion...What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
7
 145
 5,756

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Gear woke up feeling miserable, he began to pack his things into his saddle bags and let out a heavy sigh. He trotted to the bathroom and popped another pill into his mouth. Gear walked downstairs into the main room where Twilight was waiting for him with a grin across her face.

“That happy to get rid of me huh.” he said in a dark tone.

“Not exactly, follow me.” she said as she trotted out of the door.

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” Gear reluctantly followed with his bags still on his back. The walk was spent in silence, Gear was still wondering where they were going until he saw the sign in front of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Why are we here?”

“Just wait and see. Don’t you like surprises?”

“No.” he said in a flat tone. They continued down the dirt path that led to the farm house, Applejack was outside working when she noticed her two friends trotting up the road. She trotted over to them with a confused look on her face.

“Hey you two what brings y’all here?”

“Beat’s me.” Gear said as he looked at Twilight.

“Applejack would you mind looking after Gear for a few day’s while I’m away?”

“WHAT?” the two ponies said as they looked at the lavender mare.

“I need to go to Canterlot for a few days and Gear can’t come with me.” AJ scratched her mane as she tried to hide her blush.

“Well....Ah suppose it’s alright, we’ve got a guest room upstairs he can use. If you want to that is Gear.” she said as she looked at the green stallion.

“Yeah...It’s fine by me.” he said as he looked back to the orange mare.

“Thanks AJ I really appreciate this. If there’s a problem just go see Spike and he’ll send me a letter.” Twilight said with a weak grin on her face. Applejack then looked over to the green stallion who was looking at her with a weak smile. “Well I better get going, have fun you two.” she said with a smile. AJ blushed at the statement. Twilight then turned around and started to trot back down the road. Gear and Applejack watched her leave, AJ then turned back to the stallion trying to hide her blush.

“Well...ah guess I’ll show you to yer room then.”

“Sounds good to me.” the two made their way inside the farm house, AJ was trying to hide her excitement as she climbed the stairs. The two entered the room, it was average size, rustic looking and had a welcoming feel to it. It had a normal twin sized bed, a desk, dresser and book shelf, Gear laid his bag down on the bed, AJ then began to close the door.

“I’ll just let you get settled then.”

“Alright I’ll be out in a few minutes.” Applejack closed the door and leaned up against the outside of it trying to figure out her thoughts. She then began to trot back down the stairs thinking to herself.

Okay Applejack calm down, the stallion you have a crush on is sleeping just a few rooms away. No big deal right?

Wrong, get in there and tell him!

No, ah can’t do that ah might scare him off.

Please if he was scared of you he would’ve ran away the first chance he got.

True, he is nice and very generous.

Not to mention cute!

Shut it, ah don’t know any thing about him.

Well then start asking!

Alright ah will! Damn you hormones!

Applejack heard the sound of hoof steps and snapped back to reality. Gear came down the stair case with a smile on his face. “Thanks Applejack I really appreciate you letting me stay here.”

“It’s no problem, least I could do for all you’ve done for me.” she said with a smile on her face.

“So, what are we gonna do today?”

“Well, Big Mac is working the field today so ah have the day off. What do you want to do?”

“Um...I guess just walk around town. That okay with you?”

“Yeah...sure ah’d love to.” Gear looked back at the mare who began to giggle.

What’s with her all of a sudden?

The two trotted into the busy town, Applejack made the first move and started the conversation.

“So any idea what the princess want’s with Twilight?”

“No idea.”

“And why couldn’t you go with her?” Gear froze for a moment.

“It was probably official businesses between the two.”

“True, but ah still don’t see why you couldn’t go with her? You two are close friend’s aren’t ya?”

“Well, I’m better friends with her brother than her, plus we had a small falling out-” he shut his mouth before he said another word.

“Something went on between you two?”

“Kind of.”

“Like you two dated or something?” she said as her heart started to beat fast.

“What? No, of corse not! Shining would beat me to a pulp if I tried anything like that, plus I think of Twilight like a little sister.” AJ let out a sigh of relief.

“Sorry for jumping to conclusions like that.”

“It’s alright. I guess I can kinda see why you might think that.” he said with a grin. “So how about you?”

“About me what?”

“Do you have colt-friend?” AJ’s face turned crimson at the question, she gave a small gulp and answered.

“N-no never had one.”

“Really?”

“Why?”

“I just assumed that you had dated before.”

“Well ah haven’t!” she yelled.

“Easy, I meant nothing by it. I find that respectable.”

“Y-you do?”

“Yeah. The same goes for me.”

“Really? You never dated anyone?” she said in surprise.

“Nope, never found the right mare.”

“Now that ah find hard to believe.” she said with a small giggle.

“Why?” AJ’s face went from pink to bright red.

“It’s just that-” she was cut off by Rarity who trotted up next to them.

“Hello you two.” the white unicorn said with a smile.

Never thought I’d be happy to see Rarity. Applejack thought.

“What brings you two into town?”

“Just walking around, looking at stuff.” Gear said.

“Y-yeah, just giving him the tour of Ponyville.” AJ said with a nervous grin. Rarity then glared at the orange mare for a second.

“Gear would you please excuse us while we go to the mare’s room.”

“Sure.”

“Thank you darling, come along Applejack.” she said as she grabbed the orange mare’s hoof and brought her behind a building. “Alright Applejack what’s really going on?”

“Ah have no idea what yer talking about.” she lied.

“Darling please you’re a terrible liar, since he’s come to town you’ve been acting...Oh My Celestia! You like him don’t you?” Rarity said as her eyes lit up. Applejack’s eyes shrank to the size of pin tips.

“Well....ya see......alright I admit it I like him. Please don’t tell any pony.” she said in a pleading voice.

“My lips are sealed. On one condition.”

“What?”

“You have to go to the spa with me to and tell me everything.” the unicorn said with a grin.

“Forget it.” AJ bellowed.

“If you don’t then I’ll tell Gear right here, right now.” she said with an evil grin. Applejack scowled at the whit mare.

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Watch me! Oh Gear could y-” she was cut off by an orange hoof covering her mouth.

“Fine ah’ll go!” she said as she removed her hoof.

“Thank you, be there tomorrow at 11:00am. Now let’s get back to Gear before he suspects something.” Applejack nodded and the two rejoined their green friend. “Sorry we took so long, the line was taking forever.”

“It’s no problem, so what do you two want to do?”

“Well, why don’t you tell us about yourself?”

“Really? It’s a pretty boring story.” he lied.

“Well all we know about you is that, you work for Applejack and that you’re amazingly good at poker.” Rarity said.

“Yeah how did you get so good anyway?” AJ asked.

“I spent a lot of time learning it while I was at the institu-” he slammed his mouth shut as the mares both looked at him in confusion.

Oh Faust NO!

“I’m sorry dear did you say institution?” Rarity said. Gears heart started to work overtime.

C’mon stupid think of something!

“Yeah, I volunteered at the local mental institution on Wednesdays, and played poker with the patients.”

Smooth.

“That’s mighty sweet of yah. They didn’t hurt you or anything did they?” AJ asked.

“No, they were mellow for the most part, they’re nice once you get to know them.”

“Well, that explains your skill. So what about work?” Rarity said with a smile.

“I worked on the rail road for awhile.”

“Well that sounds interesting, what about your parents?” Gear’s eyes shrunk.

“They’re......dead.” AJ and Rarity both adverted their eyes from him.

“Oh....I’m sorry dear. I didn’t wish to bring up bad memories.”

“It’s fine Rarity it happened years ago.”

“Is that why you left your job after one year?” AJ asked. Gear glanced at her with fear in his eyes.

“Y-yeah. I needed some time off.”

A LOT of time off.

“Completely understandable darling.” Rarity said as she put a hoof on his shoulder. “So you’re good friends with Shinning Armor?”

“Yeah, we did everything together, when we were colt’s.”

“Like what?”

“Get into fight’s, pull pranks y’know guy stuff.”

“That sounds like a hoot.” AJ commented.

“Yeah we were quite the team.” The three kept talking for the rest of the day, they stopped at Sugar Cube Corner for a quick bite and chatted with Pinkie for a bit. As the three exited the bakery they were confronted by a cyan pegasus with a cross face. Gear let out a sigh. “What is it Rainbow?”

“Look I know I haven’t been that nice to you...so I’m sorry.” she said as she looked down at the ground. Gear put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Apology accepted.” he said with a grin.

“Bout time Rainbow.” Applejack said as she glared at the pegasus.

“Calm down AJ. I just had to get used to him, It was easy for you because you obviously li-”

“RAINBOW!” Applejack bellowed as she blushed.

“Struck a nerve have I? Well I think I’ll push my luck here.” she took flight and grabbed Applejacks’ hat off her head and flew like the devil away from the group. Gear looked over towards Applejack who gave chase after the pegasus.

“What just happened?” Gear asked Rarity.

“Rainbow just stole Applejack’s hat.”

“So? It’s only a hat.”

“Only a hat? Darling that hat.....Oh you don’t know.”

“Know what?”

“Nothing, it’s not my story to tell. Sorry but I must be off, I suggest you go after Applejack before she hurt’s Rainbow Dash.” she said as she trotted away from the stallion. Gear did as he was asked and galloped after the two mares, as he did thought’s started to form in the stallions head.

Why was Applejack acting all weird today? And why did she offer me a guest room so willingly?

She’s just being nice.

No, it’s more than that.

Hang on you’ve read psychology books at the asylum, let’s see. Symptoms?

Redness of the cheeks or face: Check

Stuttering: Check

Easily angered: Double check

Being unusually shy: Check

Always looking away when I look at her: Check

C’mon what’s that all point to? Think!

UGH! The only time I saw this happen was years ago before Cadence and Shining started da-........Oh My Luna! She’s got a crush on me!

She’s my boss and now Roommate!

Well, she’s smart, strong, sweet, and ho-...... Great I have a crush on her! I swear to Faust the guards back at the asylum would be laughing their flanks off if they found this out.

“GET BACK HERE YOU FEATHERED VARMINT!” he heard Applejack yell as she chased the cyan pegasus through the orchard. Gear caught up with them, he saw that Rainbow was putting the farmers hat just out of reach of AJ’s grip. “RAINBOW YOU GIVE ME BACK MAH HAT RIGHT NOW!!”

“Fine here.” the laughing pegasus put it in a nearby tree and sped off towards town.

“Why that little!”

“Need some help?” Gear said as he trotted next to her.

“Yeah. Go get the ladder and-”

“Or you could just stand on my back.” he said in a nervous tone. Applejack blushed at the statement.

“W-well ah s-suppose that could work.”

“Alright then climb up.” The orange mare did as instructed and climbed into the tree.

“Okay, ah see it...Got it! ah’m coming dow-” the branch that she was standing on broke sending the orange mare toppling onto the green stallion. As Gear opened his eyes he felt his and AJ’s nose make contact, he could feel her warm breath escape her lips. A massive blush had appeared on both of their faces, he stared into the beautiful pools of her emerald green eyes. The two stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity, Applejack then got off of the green stallion who tried desperately to hide his blush. “So....um...thanks for help there Gear.”

“A-anytime.” he said as the two continued to trot down the dirt path. Neither of them said a word as they mede their way back to the farm house. As supper time came along the two remained silent and didn’t make any eye contact, after the mots awkward dinner of his life Gear returned to his room, he pulled out a journal and began to write, he stopped when he heard a knock at his door. “Come in.” he said. Gear felt his face heat up as Applejack poked her head in.

“Listen ah have to do something with Rarity tomorrow so you can have the day off.” she said with a grin.

“Okay. Thanks, goodnight.” he said as she closed the door. Gear looked back to his journal and groaned in frustration. “Ugh! Great, what am I gonna do? I obviously like her, but if I tell her the truth she’ll think I’m some sort of freak.” he laid his head on his book and looked out the window. He raised his head and flipped through the pages of his journal until something caught his eye, it was a piece of paper with a bunch of random numbers and letters attached to it, It took only a moment for him to recognize the sheet of paper. He started to write down the odd grouping’s of letters and numbers, “Hope he remembers this stuff from our High school days.” he said as he rolled up the paper and left it on the desk.

Two doors over Applejack was trying her hardest to push the stallion out of her mind, but that moment in the orchard always found another way in. “Dang nab it! Why can’t I get that moment out of mah head!? Maybe Rarity will help me tomorrow.” she then started to laugh at the thought. “Yeah right, she’d probably powder me up into some prissy pony.” with that she finally managed to push him out of her mind and fall asleep.