• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Seven - A Talk

“Resist!” Twilight hissed, forcing her hooves to stop moving, but alas her body ignored and continued forward. The heavy saddlebags made her feel like she weighed a thousand pounds, she shut her eyes, trying to will herself to stop. Thorns and brambles cut at her coat, leaves and twigs crunched underneath her hooves.

“You must stop!” she said to herself, “Resist, Twilight! Resist!” an icy chill slithered down her spine. Her vision faded, and she blacked out.

~~

Fluttershy was just tucking herself back into bed when Angel jumped back up onto her and tugged at her mane. “What is it this time, Angel?” she gently pulled her mane out of his tiny grip, and he pointed towards the window yet again. “Out there?” she groaned, pulling herself back out of her bed. “What is-“ she was interrupted by a light tapping on the glass. She blinked and looked out; Owlowiscious was fluttering outside the window, tapping it with a claw. Fluttershy opened the window, and the owl flew in, swooping around the room before growing back out and motioning with a talon for her to follow. Angel jumped out the window, and Owlowiscious caught him. Angel made a frantic ‘come on!’ motion with his paw.

Fluttershy fluttered out the window, “What is it, boys? What’s wrong?”

Owlowiscious swooped down, dropping Angel on the ground and the two starting towards the Everfree forest. “Oh my,” she whispered, gently swooping out of the window, and onto the ground following the animals.

~~

Twilight was furious, the anger causing her blood to boil and her body to shake and tremble. Hate, hate, hate! Jealousy and anger and loneliness, all swirled together in her mind. She mentally lashed out at whoever had caused this much rage – Celestia, her friends… All abandoned her, she was left all alone. How could they have done this to her? Why would they do this to me?! I just wanted to be heard! She ran. And ran, blindly into the black. Only one thing on her mind: Make them love me. Make them remember me!

And then she fell. Agony surged through her, and she screamed. Screamed out her anguish, her regret, her anger. And then she was swallowed up, swallowed by the shadows.

Twilight was brought back to reality with a jerk, “Ah!” somepony was tugging in her tail, and a white rabbit was pushing her fore-hooves back. A pair of talons were tugging on her mane, she looked up, shocked. Ahead of her, was a familiar, rickety wooden bridge. They were in the Everfree Forest…Twilight froze completely, her fur bristling, before she collapsed, blinking back tears. Fluttershy let go of her tail, leaping gracefully over her and then turning to face the lavender unicorn. “Twilight! Are you alright?”

Twilight lifted her head, trembling. “...Fluttershy?”

“Yes?”

“I want to go home…”

~~

Princess Luna paced in her room, troubled. The guards returned without Twilight Sparkle – nopony had answered the library door.

“Where could she be?” she muttered to herself. “Where has she gone? Is she alright?”

Luna wondered if maybe she should tell Celestia – she couldn’t be sure, but she had an aching feeling that… She had returned. Luna scowled, if Twilight Sparkle was in danger Celestia needed to know.

Finally, the alicorn headed out the door and towards the throne room.

~~

Celestia sat upon her throne, her quill making a scritch schritch noise as it scratched across the parchment. “And… there!” she rolled up the parchment and levitated it down to a young earth mare standing before her. “Your name is now officially ‘Darkened Heart.’”

The mare smiled, “Thank you Princess!” she said, stuffing the parchment into her bag. She turned tail and galloped out, “Whooo! Long live the darkness!”

That was… interesting. Celestia thought, and turned her head when her sister’s booming voice echoed towards her ears; “Celestia! I must speak with you,” Luna stepped into the room, and turned towards the guards. “Off with you, I wish to speak to my sister in private.”

The guards gave Celestia a look, but obeyed when she nodded and then they filed out of the room. The doors shut, and Celestia and Luna were left alone.

“What is it, Luna? I’m surprised you’re still up.” Celestia stood up and stepped towards her sister.

Luna cleared her throat, “I lied,” She said bluntly. “I did not prank Twilight, and I am quite certain I might know what her problem is.”

Celestia furrowed her brow, “You’re serious? Why did you lie?”

“I wasn’t sure! I wanted to be sure before I brought this to your attention, and even now I can’t be positive – but I do think Twilight is in terrible danger.”

“Danger? What kind of danger?”

“A danger of the… the Nightmare variety.” she bit her lip.

It took Celestia a moment to register what her sister meant but then her mouth dropped.

“Nightmare Moon? But the elements of harmony rid you of her, she’s gone!”

“Apparently not, my sister.” Luna stepped towards the window, and looked out over Equestria. “And I fear the worst. I have had this feeling since Twilight left… Nightmare Moon is following her.”

Celestia stepped up next to her sister, and nuzzled her neck. “Do you have any idea what her motivations could be?”

“I have a good idea,” Luna said. “I believe that she intends to be rid of Twilight Sparkle. The Element of Magic… without all six elements we wouldn’t be able to stop her. If Nightmare were to convince Twilight to… dispose of herself…” Luna trailed off, her eyes glazing over.

Celestia shook her head. “Twilight is stronger than that. And Nightmare Moon no longer has a physical form – what could she accomplish by killing Twilight?”

“I am… unsure. Like I said, I’m not even sure if it’s even Nightmare Moon we are dealing with. But if she has some way to build herself a body, or convince others to give her a body…”

Celestia placed a hoof on Luna’s shoulder. “Luna, you don’t think Nightmare Moon will have some sort of cult preparing to give her a physical body of her own do you?”

Luna laughed a bitter, humorless laugh. “She might, she might. She is manipulative – you know this. Manipulative enough to even drive Twilight over the edge – or possess or brainwash some sort of cult.”

Celestia thought for a long time, “I’m going to send Twilight a letter, I need to see her.”

“I wouldn’t count on it.” Luna shook her head sadly, and Celestia gave her an accusing look. “Look Celestia, I already sent for her last night, my guards returned and she wasn’t home, or simply didn’t answer the door.”

“What about Spike?”

“Ah, her pet? I was told nopony answered, so I assume he is gone as well.”

Celestia closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. “I will send more guards to search for her. I hope this isn’t as bad as it seems…”

~~

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes were on her hooves as she entered the library, Fluttershy flipped on the lights and flew inside. “Come on now, Twilight. You’re tired, I’m sure a nice long nap will help you.” She guided her upstairs, and Twilight magically undid the saddlebags and let them drop to the floor. One side hit the ground with a massive clonk! Fluttershy flinched, briefly wondering what was inside. Slowly she reached a hoof out towards them,

“Don’t touch that!” Twilight hissed, and Fluttershy cowered.

“No, I was just going to put them away!” the Pegasus cried.

“I’ll do it later.” Twilight collapsed onto her bed and closed her eyes.

Fluttershy looked around, “Where’s Spike?” she asked, looking at his empty bed. Twilight opened her eyes; she stared out at nothing for a moment, before they lowered guiltily to her hooves.

“Oh… He must be… out.”

“Out?”

“…I’ll find him later,” Twilight squeezed her eyes shut, grinding her teeth.

‘Find him – he didn’t ask permission to leave!’

No!

‘He’s abandoned you!’

No he hasn’t! I hurt him…

‘He deserved it. He disobeyed.’

He’s a good boy…

‘He’s a dragon – they cannot be trusted.’

“SHUT UP!” Twilight shouted, leaping to her hooves and throwing her pillow with all her equine might. It hit Fluttershy smack in the face, and then fell to the floor with a gentle thump. Fluttershy took a few steps back, shocked. Tears filled her eyes and she turned tail and flew out of the room, sobbing. “Wait, Fluttershy!” Twilight curled up on her bed. “I’m so sorry Fluttershy!” she whimpered softly.

“Don’t leave me all alone!”

‘She’s abandoned you too, Twilight.’

“No! She hasn’t! She hasn’t…”

‘They’re all going to leave you. Nopony cares about you… I do, though.’

“No! No you don’t!”

‘Twilight, I’m your friend. I just want you to see that they don’t care; it will save you from later heartache…’

“Stop talking!” Twilight pressed her hooves into her skull, as if to block the voice out, block it out and forget about it.

‘Twilight, don’t you see? You’re better than them, you can rise above them. They don’t care about you.’

“Of course they do! I love them!”

‘If Fluttershy loved you, would she have run out like that? Or would she have helped you?’

“I- I….” Twilight fell asleep.