• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Fourteen - Battle Canterlot

Celestia and Cadance were speechless, and considering how Celestia has had over thousands of years to practice the perfect poker face, that’s really saying something.

The creature that walked in was like a sick combination of Nightmare Moon and Twilight Sparkle.

It had all of Twilight’s colors, but the alicorn-body of Nightmare Moon. Her Cutie-Mark had the dark – if more purple-colored night sky of Luna’s Cutie-Mark, but instead of a crescent moon it had a pink, six-pointed star.

Her violet mane went right through the dark purple helm, swirling around her. Her face was contorted into a sneer, studying Celestia’s expression.

“It is so good to see you again, for We have missed you so.”

“G-Guards!” Cadance called, and Nightmare chuckled. “Shouting is useless, child. They are all useless now.”

“What did you do?” Celestia found her voice, and narrowed her eyes.

Nightmare tapped a hoof on the ground, “Oh, nothing really. A simple spell, and now they bow to Us.”

“How did you…” Celestia blinked.

“She used a possession spell!” Spike cried, startling Celestia. She hadn’t even seen him on Nightmare Moon’s back; he was so small compared to her.

He attempted to jump off, but Nightmare caught him in her levitation, never taking her eyes off of Celestia.

Celestia turned to Cadance. “Go.” Cadance blinked, then when her senses returned she shook her head.

‘What about Spike?’ she mouthed, and Celestia said quietly,

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll help him. You go evacuate everypony in the castle.” Cadance was about to object, but then nodded. She quickly dashed for the door on the right side of the throne. The second she disappeared beyond the threshold, Nightmare Moon used her magic to slam both doors shut, sealing them. Celestia looked her in the eye.

“What did you do to Luna?”

“She’s fine. They all are – We are not a tyrant. We gave them all second chances.”

“…And me?”

“To the sun with you.”

“Not without a fight.”

Nightmare Moon smiled. “We were hoping you would say that.” She let the struggling Spike drop to the floor, and glanced at him. “We would hide if We were you.”

Spike didn’t waste a second retreating to the other side of the room, glad to be away from her. He hid behind Celestia, and she gently pushed him back with a wing. “Stay back Spike. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Spike backed away, up the steps and hid behind the throne.

Celestia’s horn glowed gold, and she stepped towards the Twilight-thing. Nightmare stepped forward as well. “Are you ready? We wouldn’t take advantage of you, after all.”

Celestia pursed her lips. “I am ready.”

~~

The ponies of Canterlot were enjoying the weather. Some were out for a simple stroll, others spending time with significant others; enjoying the beautiful night.

In other words, it was a perfect, normal night in Canterlot.

That is, until half the city was shaken by the explosion coming from the castle.

Ponies gasped, looking up – just in time to see Celestia crash down into her back into the fountain of the main square. The stone shattered, and Celestia gasped in shock and pain.

“Princess!” several ponies cried out, but before anyone could get close a second alicorn landed roughly in front of the fountain, cracks opening in the cobblestone.

Everypony stared in shock, slowly backing away. Nightmare ignored them all, rearing back and preparing to stomp down on Celestia.

Celestia counter-attacked with a blast of magic, sending Nightmare Moon off balance. One thing that startled Nightmare was how hot it was – like fire, just without the injury!

She fell backwards, and rolled onto her side. Celestia leaped into the air with a mighty flap of her wings, and pinned Nightmare down.

“Princess!” several guards ran towards them, but Nightmare Moon sent tendrils of magenta magic towards them.

They back away, and she managed to get out, “Step any closer, and you shall forever be under Our influence!”

Celestia stomped a hoof down on her throat, and the Twilight-thing gasped. She focused her magic, and then teleported. With nothing to support her hoof, Celestia lost her balance, and Nightmare reappeared next to her, apparently anticipating this and using her magic and fore hooves to shove Celestia. Celestia flew several feet, crash-landing through the windows of a clothes store.

Several ponies gasped, one was even brave enough to jump in front of Nightmare as she charged after the sun deity, but Nightmare didn’t just jump right over her; she made a point to buck this pony in the flank as well.

“Ouch!”

Nightmare dove through the broken window, head-butting Celestia as she tried to stand. Celestia shoved her head forward, trying to knock Nightmare Moon back. Celestia enveloped the glass window shards in her golden aura, and then impaled various parts of the lavender alicorn’s body, causing her flinch and gasp in shock, taking a step back.

Celestia took her chance, and leaped to her hooves shoving Nightmare back. The two tumbled out into the street, once again the guards rushed to Celestia’s aid – but Nightmare anticipated this and with a magical shot from her horn; they blinked and then stood straight, eyes staring out emotionlessly. Celestia tried to counteract the magic, but Nightmare brought back her hoof, and then brought it down across Celestia’s horn.

Celestia stopped the spell, head jerking back in an instinctive reaction. Without her horn, she couldn’t raise the sun!

She reared back slightly, and brought both hooves down hard on Nightmare moon’s chest, knocking the wind out of her. (It might have done more damage had she not been wearing the dark purple chest piece.)

“Let my student go.” Celestia said, horn glowing threateningly.

“She is mine,” Nightmare Moon hissed. “Forever.”

The smirk was wiped off her face when Celestia struck her with a hoof. Hard.

Nightmare Moon gasped in shock, momentarily stunned.

“FREE HER!” luckily, Celestia managed to refrain from going all-out Royal Canterlot Voice.

Nightmare was jarred out of her shock, and then she turned back to Celestia. With narrowed eyes, she spat in Celestia’s eye. “I shall not!”

Celestia backed off, one hoof held over her eye. Nightmare Moon used her wings to lift herself, and then landed in front of Celestia. Her face contorted into a scowl, and she surveyed the surrounding ponies, all looking on in mixed shock, worry and fear; seeming to shrink back from her gaze.

“Any last words before I send you to your doom?” The Twilight-monstrosity smiled, turning back to Celestia. Celestia looked up, blinking her defiled eye furiously, trying to not let it water.

She opened her mouth, paused and then began, “You may do what you will, but Twilight’s friends will end you.”

Nightmare chuckled. “I’d like to see them try.”

Celestia had no time to retort, there was a blinding pulse of magenta light and then Celestia let out a cry of mixed pain and fear. The glow enveloped her, and then she was lifted. She thrashed, massive wings flapping in panic, and then she disappeared.

It was over, just like that.

“Wh-what did you do to the princess?!” A brave pony shouted, stepping forward. Nightmare Moon turned to her – a cream-colored, earth pony commoner Nightmare recognized from Twilight’s memories.

“Ah, Bon-Bon was it?”

The pony flinched at the nightmare’s use of her name, and said nothing. Nightmare tilted her head, smiling. “We did to her what she did to Us. She is now one with Sol – he could certainly use the company, for He shall never see the face of Equestria again!” she stomped a hoof triumphantly.

“From this moment forth… The night will-“

“Silence!” Nightmare’s ears tilted back, as the familiar voice sounded out behind her. Several ponies shouted in relief, but still did nothing to help, as per usual.

Nightmare turned around, and smiled. “Well, if it isn’t-“

A sapphire colored hoof with a very pale, shiny lavender horse-shoe connected with her jaw.

Nightmare Moon stumbled back in shock, but didn’t even have time to recover when Luna charged, both hooves hitting her chest and knocking her back.

Nightmare moon fell backwards, and Luna wasted no time in pinning her. “FIEND! RELEASE MY BIG SISTER!”

Several ponies shouted in agreement. “Go Luna!”

Luna snarled in Nightmare Moon’s face. “You’ve got five seconds! Release her!”

“No. You’ve got five seconds to get off, and you won’t share her fate.”

Luna remained firmly planted on her evil counterpart, having no intention of moving.

“Do you really want to relive it?” Nightmare Moon’s smiled slyly, batting her eyelashes. “One thousand years, Luna. Are you so sure you want to go back?”

Luna looked uncertain, remembering her thousand year sentence. It had been horrible – all alone, uncertain, afraid, waking up one day and hoping the next day would be her freedom, but then it wasn’t and then she’d-

No. No, I can’t think about it. She told herself. “You cannot send me there. You’re just trying to scare me!”

“Want to find out?” Nightmare Moon’s horn glowed, and Luna instinctively recoiled.

“No, you do not scare me; Nightmare moon! I have overcome you once, and I shall again!”

“Suit yourself,” Nightmare Moon smiled, and used her fore-hooves to shove Luna off.

“Fight her, Princess!”

“You can do it!”

“Come on, your Majesty!”

Several ponies cheered Luna on, and Luna smiled at their loyalty.

“Guards, seize her!” Luna cried.

Nothing happened.

Nightmare Moon cleared her throat, and said softly, “Guards, seize her.”

They obeyed.

They all attempted to dog pile Luna, but she jumped up, holding herself in the air with her wings. “TREACHERY!” she shouted. “TREACHERY MOST FOUL!”

Nightmare Moon then enveloped Luna with the same magic she had Celestia. Luna’s eyes widened, and she started to struggle. “No. No!”

“We shall miss you,” Nightmare said with a dismissive wave of her hoof. “Enjoy your vacation!”

And Luna was gone.

Nightmare Moon looked around, taking pleasure in the mixed expressions on the faces of the ponies around her. Shock, fear, despair, among them.

“…the elements of harmony will stop you!” One shouted.

“They can try.” Nightmare Moon smiled. She puffed out her chest proudly,

“The night will last forever!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please tell me that the fight wasn't unfair, or unbelievable. I tried to keep it fair!