• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Twenty-Seven - Attack!

“Queen Nightmare Dusk-“

“Queen Dusk, not Nightmare Dusk!” The alicorn interrupted, sick and tired of the dub ‘Nightmare’.

“Queen Dusk,” the bowed guard rephrased emotionlessly, and when Dusk nodded for him to continue he stood up straight and started: “The Elements of Harmony are on the train to Canterlot. Should we send forces to throw them in the dungeon?”

Dusk felt something in her belly – hope? And at the same time her heart fluttered in fear, fear of what? She lowered her eyes, starting to squirm slightly on the throne. What do they want? Finally, she started; “No, let them pass. If they head for the castle, make no move to stop them. Just… let them through.”

“Yes, your Majesty.” He turned and trotted out of the throne room to spread the word to the other soldiers. Dusk was left alone to her thoughts, and she swallowed the large lump in her throat.

She’d ordered them to stay away, and they were coming back… Did that mean they were coming to confront her once more? She felt dread seep into her heart, and at the same time she felt somewhat relieved.

This isn’t right; I should imprison them all. I can’t wait to see- no, no I hope they burn in fires hotter than the sun! I hope they aren’t mad at me, I... I want to kill them! Oh dear…

Dusk felt her temper rising, and quickly clenched her eyes shut, breathing deeply. Don’t let your anger get the best of you… remember what that one book said… Silently counting to ten, she opened her eyes feeling better.

It will be alright, We can talk to them…

You know that they won’t listen, they’ll rush in here and attack without a thought for what they’re attacking, and that’s how it always is.

You’re wrong, that’s not true. They’re smart; they wouldn’t come here and mindlessly attack us.

That’s exactly what they’d do. What could they possibly want? Maybe they’re willing to resort to violence…

No. They’re our friends; they would not hurt us knowing it would kill.

Perhaps, but who’s to say they care? They were rather quick to abandon us, to allow our possession.

Shut up.

No. Not while our life may be on the line.

It won’t be. We’re fine; even if they try anything we can easily dispatch them.

Oh? They know that too, don’t they? They wouldn’t come without some sort of protection.

One… two… three….

Counting?

One… two… three… four… five…

Whatever you wish.

Stop interrupting! One… two…. Three… four….

~~

“Trixie isn’t saying she isn’t sorry, simply that the giant wing-thing was kind of funny!”

Trixie and Rainbow Dash had been squabbling since the got off of the train. They were now heading for Canterlot Castle, with Cadance and Shining Armor in the lead. Rainbow Dash glared at Trixie, “It wasn’t funny! It was horrible!”

“Maybe for you,” Trixie smiled.

“It… was kinda funny, lookin’ back on it,” Applejack chimed in with a snicker.

“What?” Dash groaned. “You’ve gotta be… Honesty sucks!” she said, but found herself smiling anyway. She gave Applejack a playful shove. Applejack stumbled a bit, and crashed into Trixie who yelped and fell on her face.

“Oh! Sorry!” Applejack said, scrambling to her hooves and holding out a hoof to help Trixie up. Trixie got to her hooves, refusing to take Applejacks.

“It’s… Fine.” Trixie gritted her teeth, than forced a smile. “It’s okay, Applejack.” She brushed grit off her coat, and hurried forward.

“Alright girls,” Shining Armor said, slowing down. “Dusk doesn’t want us – not counting Trixie – in Canterlot, so we have to be careful.” The girls nodded, and they continued forward more cautiously. The dark Canterlot Castle could be seen ahead, it was only a few blocks away now. Most ponies were indoors, trying to avoid the ice cold. eternal night air.

Trixie shivered, mumbling to herself about wishing she had brought her cloak. They remained silent, until Rarity trotted up next to the blue unicorn.

“You know Trixie,” she started, trying to be as friendly as possible. Trixie was arrogant, but Rarity felt she deserved a chance; “I think your mane looks positively stunning, do you use something on it?”

“Huh?” Trixie was taken by surprise. Nopony had ever complimented her that way before, and quite frankly, they should! “Oh! My mane, no I don’t style it or anything. It’s just naturally beautiful,” she gave a proud flip of her hair and smiled. After a moment of thought she added, “Thank you.”

“You’re quite welcome dear,”

“Look,” Trixie started, choosing her words carefully. She’d had a lot of thought since the whole Alicorn Amulet incident… “I’m sorry about insulting your mane, you know, the first time I was in Ponyville. And turning it green.”

“Oh… that’s fine,” Rarity grimaced at the memory, remembering the countless hours of washing, restyling and then having to dye it back its natural color.

“We’re here.” Cadance said.

There stood Dark Canterlot Castle, in all its terrifying glory. “Be careful,” Shining Armor said. “I don’t see any guards and that might not be a good thing.”

“So, are we just going to walk in, or find some other way in?” Fluttershy whispered. Before anyone could reply, Trixie shoved Shining Armor out of the way and galloped full speed towards the big castle doors.

“Trixie will defeat that tyrant!”

“Trixie no!” several ponies shouted, galloping after her.

~~

Dusk should have anticipated they’d blast through the door. They always did – but she hadn’t been prepared for it. She jumped, jerked out her rather deep train of thought with all the subtlety of a bucket of water being poured on a sleepers face. “Wha?! What!”

“Nightmare Dusk! I will end…” Trixie slowed to a stop, taking a moment to fully process the Queen sitting in front of her. “…You?”

She’d believed the others when they’d said it was Twilight possessed by Nightmare Moon, but this was just plain disturbing. It was like a horrible cross between the two of them, (Not that Trixie had ever even seen Nightmare Moon,) and at the same time the body itself seemed to still look more like Twilight Sparkle than Nightmare Moon. It had Twilight’s colors, the same curves of her body, and even the same voice! The only real difference to her appearance was the way her mane wafted around her face; stars sparkling across it, her unnatural height, those draconic eyes, and the wings slightly unfurled at her sides. She stood up, obviously startled, and pinpointed her gaze on Trixie.

The others galloped up and stopped behind Trixie, “Trixie you – oh.” Cadance stopped dead, staring cautiously at Dusk. Dusk regarded them all with slight uncertainty, but her expression glazed over and she turned to look once more at Trixie, who gulped.

The blue unicorn took a step forward, “Nightmare Dusk! I will destroy you once and for all, and rescue the Princesses!”

Ignoring the use of ‘Nightmare’ in her name, Dusk turned towards the others, her brows furrowing. “What is this?!”

Everyone glanced at each other in confusion, and Shining Armor started “What are you-“

“WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!”

Trixie felt the force of the… things voice push against her, and she swallowed the growing lump in her throat.

“We…” Nightmare’s face went from infuriated, to upset. She looked down at her hooves for a moment, head low and wings unfurling completely, hanging almost limp at her sides. Then, her head rose and her expression twisted in rage. “We see! We see what is going on here!! You’re trying to replace us!”

“Replace you?” Rainbow Dash stared venomously at her. “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play dumb!” The Queen hissed, stomping a hoof. “You brought Trixie to replace us! We see you’re all wearing your elements! WE SEE YOU’RE TRYING TO DESTROY US!”

Trixie coughed, and bravely stepped forward. “I came myself! Trixie needs no help!”

“Dusk,” Rarity said, “How would we possibly replace you?! Replace you as… wait… I… Oh,” her eyes widened as a disturbing realization came over her. The others gaped, catching on as well.

Trixie took the silence to her advantage, and with a cry she galloped forward. She leaped towards Dusk, horn glowing fiercely. Dusk, half-mad with rage and feeling betrayed; didn’t leap out of the way. Trixie landed neatly in front of her, and her horn set off a blinding light that caused Dusk to cry out as her vision was momentarily impaired. A series of agonizing, stinging and burning pains ripped through her coat.

“Ha!” Trixie cried triumphantly. “You are no match for my-“

She was interrupted when Dusk, despite the invisible agony making her skin burn and itch, dove forward and used the side of her head to shove Trixie back. “GUARDS!” she cried, “ALL OF THEM! PUT THEM IN THE DUNGEON, MAKE IT STOOOP!”

She couldn’t help but start to panic, whatever Trixie was doing it was painful, and getting worse. The seven ponies quickly scrambled to leave; but their exit was blocked by several unicorn – and Pegasi guards.

“Take them away!” Dusk shrieked, “NOW!”

Several grabbed hold of everypony. “Oh no you don’t!” Applejack growled, and attempted to buck her captors in the face, but magical restraints snaked around her hooves, and the hooves of her friends. Cadance and Rainbow Dash attempted to fly away, but were held down – Dusk glared at them all with burning hatred.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Crimsongraph