• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Seventeen - Small Talk

“I can’t believe we lost.”

A statement that had been repeated over and over, all the way through Canterlot, the entire train ride, and continued as they walked through Ponyville, with no set destination.

“You should have let us stay and fight!” Rainbow Dash flew besides Cadance, and Shining Armor nodded in agreement.

“She’s an alicorn!” Cadance cried. “You can’t win in a fight against an alicorn! They have three times the strength, speed and magic of any kind of pony!”

“You’re an alicorn,” Applejack pointed out. “Wouldn’t that have been an even match?”

Cadance shook her head. “No, I’m not a true alicorn. I have wings and a horn, but I don’t have the abilities of an earth pony, and my flying isn’t really that great.”

“Really?” Rarity spoke up, wiping tears from her eyes. “I’m curious now.”

Cadance sighed. “Celestia and Luna are true alicorn’s. They are all powerful; they can raise the sun and moon. But I couldn’t do it if I tried, I don’t really know the details. I just know that I was born with wings and a horn, but at heart I’m really a unicorn.”


“But wasn’t Twilight just a unicorn too? How did Nightmare make her get all big?” Pinkie asked.

“I don’t know,” Cadance sighed. “Maybe because Luna... Nightmare Moon was an alicorn originally?”

“We can’t just give up, you guys!” Rainbow Dash cried. “We have to stop her!”

“How?” Applejack asked. “We can’t use the Elements of Harmony without Twilight, and we don’t stand a chance against her in a fight!”

“Then I guess it really is over…” Fluttershy whispered. “The night really will last forever…”

“No. I refuse to believe it.” Rainbow landed on the ground, stomping a hoof indignantly.

“Then don’t,” Shining Armor said. He turned to Cadance. “I guess it’s to the Crystal Empire with us.”

“You guys are just leaving?!” Pinkie cried. Cadance gave her a sad look. “We can’t do anything else, Pinkie. I’m sorry.”

“Oh.” Was all anyone had to say.

“…Here are your invitations,” Pinkie produced a basket of letters and handed them out to everypony.

“Invitations?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah,” Pinkie turned and walked away. “For my upcoming ‘The End of Equestria is Nigh and Twilight is gone forever’ party.”

~~

“Dense! Dense! She called us dense! We aren’t dense, are we Assistant?”

“Um… no?”

“Of course we aren’t. Why with our combined intelligence we are a thousand times smarter than they, I say!”

She had sat back down on her throne while a reluctant nurse tended to the minor wounds Nightmare didn’t want to waste magical energy on.

“Combined intelligence?” Spike asked with interest.

“There’s my intelligence alone, and there is Twilight’s intelligence. I can see it in her memories.”

“Oh…” Spike said with mild disappointment.

“They are lucky We did not lock them away,” Nightmare huffed. “We should have, though. But luckily We are merciful – one more strike, though… I should banish each and every one of them to different stars!”

“You can do that?”

“Of course We can!” she snapped. “Did you doubt our abilities?!”

“No! I didn’t doubt them, I just… forget it.”

Nightmare gave him a sideways glance, before shooing the nurse away. “Off with you, healer. Our wounds are sufficiently tended to for now.

“Yes my Queen,” the milky-colored earth pony replied with no small amount of venom in her voice.

Nightmare watched her go with a frown. “Why do they snap? Tis most inappropriate!”

“Gee, I wonder,” Spike muttered under his breathe.

“We are proud of you,” Nightmare said quietly, startling Spike.

“What?”

“You did not go with them. You chose to stay with us.”

“Oh… yeah,” Spike said. He himself didn’t even know why he had done it, but he couldn’t leave her. He just couldn’t.

“Come now to…” Nightmare Dusk thought for a moment, before saying, “Luna’s office! We have paperwork to go over!” She stood up, levitated the baby dragon up onto her back. “We must go over the current laws, the functions of society and many other things!”

“Okay,” Spike said less than enthusiastically. He closed his eyes as Nightmare walked; trying to pretend it was Twilight Sparkle, the real Twilight Sparkle. It was hard; she felt so different, yet so similar.
Pretend it’s Celestia, he thought to himself. That was easier, but still not the same.

~~

Four days. It only took four days for the news of Nightmare Dusk’s reign to reach all the cities of Equestria, and the lack of sunrise in those four days proved it of those who hoped it might have been just a silly rumor.

Already ponies were boarding the train, ready to head to Canterlot to give the Queen a piece of their mind. Fools.

Nightmare Dusk had gone over all the paperwork she could, reading the laws and other things she might want to change. But she wanted some time to settle into her position as Queen before doing any drastic changes – other than nighttime eternal, of course.

In the castle, Nightmare Dusk was currently sitting on Luna’s bed. She didn’t know what she planned to do with Celestia’s room yet, perhaps turn it into a bar for her own pleasure and amusement?

She was sitting with her hooves tucked underneath her, eyes closed, face expressionless. Her armor was sitting on Luna’s dresser, her mane swirled about her face.

“...Nightmare?” Spike nudged her shoulder. She opened her eyes, sparing him an expressionless sideways glance.

“Are you okay?”

“We’re fine, Assistant. We are simply watching,” she closed her eyes again.

“Watching?”

“Watching Luna,” she said, eyes still closed. “She's crying. But she tries to stop, because she knows we’re watching.”

Spike said nothing, lowering his eyes.

“But she can’t.” Dusk continued. “She wants out. She wants to escape so badly, like a trapped bug. But she has no hope.”

“Maybe you should free her?” Spike suggested hopefully.

“No. At least, not now.” She said softly.

Spike looked out the window, thoughtfully. “What about Celestia?”

“Oh, We do not bother with her. She may burn for all We care.”

“Burn? Is she going to burn to death?” Spike asked with alarm.

“No, of course not. Sadly. She created Sol. It does not affect her as it may other ponies.”

“Is she like… on the sun or in the sun?”

“Both, and neither. She sees outside the sun, as though she were on the surface. She can move her consciousness inside of it, but cannot leave. Her body is useless to her mind, her mind goes where it wants. It just doesn’t leave the sun itself.”

“But… don’t you care about her? Weren’t you on the moon once?”

“Yes, because of Celestia. She has earned this.”

Spike couldn’t think of anything else to say, so he simply didn’t.

Author's Note:

I'm going to wait before sending this to my proofreader, he said he's busy with his own fic 'tis now proofread! Thank you Crimsongraph!


Sorry, this chapter is mostly filler