• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Twenty-Five - Hope

After a brief introduction between Trixie and Shining Armor and the Princess, Cadance and the others explained to Trixie all that had transpired between now and Twilight’s transformation.

Trixie listened intently, not once interrupting. When the story finished, most of the others had their heads low, holding back tears.

The blue unicorn cocked her head in thought, “I was aware of the Queen… but I didn’t… Trixie never imagined Twilight had it in her!”

“She ain’t got it in her!” Applejack shouted defensively. “It’s Nightmare! Not Twilight!” Trixie was silenced, and Cadance approached her.

“You said you were here for a book… what kind of book?”

Trixie opened her mouth, and hesitated. “Well… I’ll just find what I’m looking for and be on my way,” she chuckled nervously. She scanned several bookshelves with her eyes, and then paused once more before saying; “There doesn’t happen to be a book on-“

“I don’t trust this,” Rainbow Dash interrupted, landing in front of Trixie. “What did you want Twilight for? What do you need a book for? Why are you here? Are you a spy?” She backed the unicorn into a corner once more, eying her distrustfully.

“I am no spy! And what Trixie intends is my business,” she turned up her nose snootily, while Shining Armor scratched his head wondering if Trixie had an accomplice of the same name or just spoke in third person. Applejack stepped towards Dash, and said; “While I can’t say I’m too suspicious… she could have been sent by Dusk.”

“Nonsense!” Trixie cried. “I haven’t been to Canterlot since her rule!”

“She doesn’t seem possessed like the Canterlot guards,” Cadance said. “Shiny, do you still have that one spell… the one that can search a pony for magical influence or possession?”

“Yeah,” Shining said, arching an eyebrow. As if one could simply ‘lose’ a spell that they’d learned!

Trixie looked indignant, “Have I no say in this?!”

“I don’t see why Dusk would send a spy,” Fluttershy said softly from the corner of the room. “Or anything, she already knows there’s no way we could defeat or overthrow her.”

“You can’t?” Trixie said excitedly, than quickly cleared her throat. “Well… no, of course not! Everypony knows…”

“What are you hiding?” Dash got uncomfortably close, so that their muzzles touched. “Why so suspicious?” she glared, and Trixie shoved her back. “Keep off, Pegasus! My business is my own! I am not acting suspicious!”

“That’s a lie,” Applejack closed in. Trixie looked from one suspicious face to the next, before sighing and silently cursing herself for not practicing teleportation.

“Alright, alright,” she sighed. The others backed away some to give her space, and she started: “I was hoping to defeat Nightmare Dusk all on my own!” she said quickly.

Rainbow Dash promptly started laughing. “You can’t be serious!”

“I am!” Trixie insisted. “I was hoping to find some spell books of offensive – and defensive spell casting here!”

“You know that the Elements of Harmony failed against her, don’t you?” Shining Armor told her and she groaned.

“Yes, I do! That’s why I was hoping that I could.”

“That doesn’t make any sense! Even for me!” Pinkie giggled, than promptly turned serious. “Trixie, how could you defeat her if we couldn’t?!”

Trixie didn’t answer, glaring at the ground. She looked at them all once more, before huffing; “I shall find the books I need and go!”

“Whoa, wait!” Cadance stepped between Trixie and the designated bookshelf. “You’re still not intending to go, are you?”

“Of course I am! The crops are dying, the sun won’t rise, somepony has to do something,” she said icily. Than realizing who she was talking to she gulped and gave a nervous bow. “…Your majesty?”

“No need for that,” Cadance reassured and then said; “Trixie, you can’t go. Not even all the magic in the world is going to help you.”

“I want to try,” Trixie replied, undaunted. She tried to step around Cadance, but the princess held out a pink, lavender-tinted wing.

“I don’t want anypony to get hurt,” Cadance said. Trixie gave an irritated sideways glance, and quickly ducked underneath the wing and slid forward – hitting her face on a small table.

“Ow!” she hissed. The small chest on the table shook, and fell over the side, landing on Trixie’s head and flying open. Trixie lifted her head, confused for a moment before she rubbed the sore spot on her head and looked down.

“What did… oooh…” her eyes widened at the sight of the golden necklaces and accompanying crown that had been strewn to the floor.

“Hey! Hooves off!” Rainbow Dash swept them up in her forelegs before Trixie even had time to blink.

“I wasn’t touching them” Trixie replied cockily. She spared the golden jewelry one last curious glance before turning to the shelf and looking through the books. Rainbow Dash continued to eye her suspiciously, handing Cadance the elements for safe keeping.

Trixie couldn’t help but be awed, though she didn’t show it. The Elements of Harmony! She was so close to having touched them!

What she would give to bear their magic…

Her attention turned back to the books, and her small smirk faded to a scowl. “What?! I’ve already read all of these!” She cried in frustration.

“Right, good for you, move along! Go!” Rainbow Dash said, earning looks from everypony. Trixie gave her a glare,

“Trixie will show you! I’ll show all of you! I’ve read all these, I should be powerful enough! I’m going to Canterlot right now!” she cried, and headed for the door.

“Wait!” Both Cadance and Fluttershy cried, but she paid them no heed until Cadance once again flew in front of her, blocking the doorway.

“I don’t care if you’re a princess,” Trixie said. “You’ll all thank me when I save Equestria!”

“Trixie, wait,” Fluttershy hovered next to the unicorns side. “I… I’m coming with you.”

“Huh?!” Everypony, including Trixie stared at the butter-colored Pegasus. She shied away under the attention, and said quietly; “I… I want to try again,” she lowered her gaze, then lifted her head, looking at her friends determinedly. “I want to try and help her,” she swallowed. She turned to Cadance and held out a hoof. “My… my element please?”

Cadance hesitated, before levitating the golden necklace with the pink butterfly jewel in it and the Pegasus took it gratefully. “Thank you,” she said.

Cadance stared at the other elements for a moment, before saying; “I’m coming too.”

“If Cadance is going, I am.” Shining Armor stepped forward.

“Me three!” Pinkie bounced forward, “I – I want to try and help Twilight one more time!”

“…I’ll go too,” Rainbow muttered. She then roughly poked Trixie’s horn, “I’m watching you – like a hawk!”

“I’ll go as well,” Rarity smiled weakly, and Applejack nodded.

“I’m going.” The orange earth pony said.

Trixie looked from one pony to the next, and then sighed. “I wanted to do this on my own,” she muttered.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Crimsongraph