• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 9,264 Views, 572 Comments

A New Nightmare - LittleAngelStocking



Twilight Sparkle finds a scroll in her saddlebags, and upon opening it unleashes the Nightmare Moon

  • ...
12
 572
 9,264

Chapter Eleven - Child Abuse

Spike yelped, and jumped out of her way. Twilight landed on her hooves where he had been standing only seconds before; horn glowing. “What are you doing?!” she shouted, pointing at the parchment still clutched in his claw.

“I’m t-telling Celestia on you!” Spike cried, backing away, trying not to let any more tears fall.

Twilight pawed at the ground and preparing for another charge. “Tell? On me? What, are you going to make up some lie? Go to her all teary-eyed, and pitiful? ‘Oh Celestia, Twilight is being so mean to me for no reason at all!’ Nothing less than what I’d expect from a greedy little monster like you.”

“Don’t say that!” he cried, those words tore him deeper than any knife could, tearing up his heart, throwing it to the ground, stomping on it and then spitting on it.

“Why? Can your itty bitty black dragon heart not take being insulted?” The glow of her horn pulsed threateningly, and he backed away.

“Stop saying those things! What did I do to you?”

“You existed!” she yelled, and grabbed the desk in her magic and threw it at him with all the magical force she could muster. Spike was so stunned at her reply, he couldn’t jump out of the way in time and the desk hit him, pinning him against the wall and knocking the wind out of him. The letter flew from his hand and landed on the floor. Several books fell from the shelf above him, hitting his head.

“Ouch! Ow – ow!” a particularly hard corner caught him in the side of the head, drawing a bit of blood. Spike started to cry, and as Twilight approached she suddenly stopped, hoof raised slightly in mid-walk. She blinked, eyes widening.

“S-Spike? Spike, I-“ she stopped, her eyes narrowed into tiny slits, she shook her head furiously and then with a sneer, she telekinetically brought the table away from him, and taking advantage of his dazed and crying state, she slammed it back into him. “You’re useless!” she shouted. “Worthless! Greedy! A liar, an untrustworthy-”

Slam!

“Over-grown-“

Slam!

“-Rat!”

Slam!

“Who I wouldn’t even pick last to be my assistant! Even Gummy is more useful than you, and all he does is bite things!”

“T-Twilight, p-please-“

“Shut your face, I’m not finished! You’re a greedy, diamond-eating beast! I bet you don’t even love Rarity, you just like her mane! I saw you looking at me when my mane got styled that way! What an inconsiderate, dragon scum!”

Slam!

“You want to know another thing? I told everypony in Ponyville about your crush! They’re all laughing at you behind your back!”

Twilight tossed the now-cracked desk to the side; it slid across the ground and broke in half upon making contact with the wall.

She stepped menacingly towards her shaking, bleeding, cowering assistant. “You’ll never have a chance with her! She hates your guts! Dragons and ponies can’t be in love, dragons don’t have souls!”

“Twiliiiiight!” he wailed.

“Did you notice she doesn’t wear that ruby you gave her anymore? She threw it out! She didn’t even want to risk putting it on one of her dresses after you touched it!”

Twilight listened to her assistant cry, letting her words really sink in. She stepped up to him; he shrank back. She crouched down next to him and wrapped her hooves around him.

“Hey, it’s okay, shhh… there, there…” her tone changed completely from furious, to gentle. She gently rubbed circles on the side of his head, “…I bet your dead parents would have spared you the misery of living, and smashed your ugly egg when they had the chance.”

Spike completely lost it. Twilight stepped back, smiling as though she’d just finished a particularly good novel.

“Now hold still,” she ordered. “This will only hurt a lot.” Her horn glowed, and she prepared to charge. Spike sensed the danger, and quickly got up, ready run.

Twilight dove at him, but he jumped over her and using her back to launch himself onto a bookshelf. He held tight, her magical aura engulfed him attempting to tug him down.

“Come down from there! You know better than to climb the shelves, Spike!”

“Nooo! L-Leave me alone!”

“I said get down from there! You’ve until the count of three!”

Spike ignored her, trying to force back more tears he clung tighter, his claws cutting into the wood.

“One…”

Spike begun to wonder if it was worth it, his stomach was twisting into knots – what was she going to do to him?

“Two…”

He clung tighter still, squeezing his eyes shut and waiting for the inevitable – whatever the inevitable was.

“Three!”

“Wait! Don’t hurt-“

But Twilight had teleported into the air above and behind him, and when she fell she wrapped her hooves around his neck, attempting to pry him off the shelf.

“Come on now, Spike! Be a good boy and let go!”

Spike weakly grasped one of the books on the shelf, and brought it back. The corner hit Twilight’s forehead hard enough to leave a nasty bruise and a tiny cut, and she blinked, and then begun to shake with rage. “Oh, you’re in for it now, you scaly rodent!”

Finally Spike let go, attempting to pry Twilight’s death-grip off of his neck. They fell backwards onto the floor, and several books rained down on them. Spike finally twisted his head enough to bite into her foreleg, she yelped in pain and let go.

Spike dove for the door, trying to escape. Twilight grabbed his ear in her magic and jerked him backwards, and the baby dragon cried out.

“T-T-Twilight, p-please stop it!”

Twilight ignored his plea, pinning him down and lowering her horn, it crackled with magic. “Face oblivion, lizard!”

It was just then that the door opened. “Twilight?” Rarity called, and then abruptly stopped to stare at the scene before her. Twilight froze solid, and so did Rarity. There was a short silence, and then Spike bawled loudly, “Rarityyyyy, help!” he managed to squirm out of Twilight’s grip, and Twilight was really too surprised by Rarity’s sudden entrance to try and stop him.

He dove underneath Rarity’s legs, quivering. Rarity blinked in shock and surprise, “Spike? Twilight? What…”

Twilight blinked several times, shook her head and looked at them; “Spike? Rarity, I-“

She stopped herself, scowled, her entire body shuddered, and then her head snapped back up, looking at them coldly. “Rarity, don’t you know that it’s rude not to knock?”

Rarity stood there for several seconds, trying to mentally process what was going on. “Twilight!” she said eyes widening,“ What did you do?” She raised her fore-leg; Spike was cowering underneath her like a foal under their mother during a thunderstorm. He was covered in bruises, scrapes and cuts.

“Spike, come on out of there.” Twilight said gently. Spike, who had his face buried in his claws, curled up tighter.

“No!”

Twilight gritted her teeth, and then forced a smile. “Spike, come on out. I won’t hurt you, I promise!”

Rarity didn’t like this - she wrapped a hoof around Spike protectively. Something about Twilight was giving her chills.

“Twilight,” she cleared her throat, “I don’t know what’s going on here, but if what I walked in on is any indication, I don’t think-“

“Shut your mouth!” Twilight spat. Rarity was shocked, her eye-lid twitched.

“…Come along, Spike.” Rarity said. “We’re leaving.”

“NO!” Twilight telekinetically slammed the door shut, trapping Rarity inside. For a split second, Twilight looked panicked. “Don’t leave-“ and then she was once again overcome with that coldness.

“Twilight! Let me go at once,” Rarity felt conflicted. What had Twilight done to her poor assistant? Why had she done it?

Twilight’s ears flattened, and she snorted. “No, you’re going to abandon me just like that scaly little monster!”

Those words ripped Spike’s soul to shreds.

This couldn’t be a mood swing, or simply a bad day. This frightened Rarity - she decided a letter to the Princess was in order – something could be very wrong. Nothing else could explain this.

She was going to voice this decision, but decided against it.

“Abandon you?” Rarity shook her head. “No, Twilight! I want to he-“

“Hurt me? I knew it!”

“What?” Rarity’s eyes widened. “Hurt you? Of course not, dear!”

“ALL. LIES.” Twilight prepared to charge, and Rarity realized she only had a limited number of options. She picked Spike up and jumped out of the way, then placed him on her back.

Twilight crashed into a bookshelf, several books raining down on her.

“Hold tight, Spike,” Rarity whispered and her horn began to glow. Twilight got to her hooves, stumbled a bit, then picked up a book and hurled it at them. Rarity managed to dodge, but it broke her concentration. She tried again, and started to sweat.

“Rarity, w-what are you- OWWW!” The abused drake curled up when a book hit his head.

Twilight charged again, and then jumped. Spike clung to Rarity’s mane, and the white unicorn shut her eyes. Then, in a blinding pulse of sapphire magic, the two were gone.

Twilight hit the floor where Rarity had just been standing, then looked around, bewildered.

~~

Spike and Rarity reappeared just outside of her shop, and after several minutes of regaining her senses – and trying not to lose her lunch, Rarity ran inside. “Oh my!” she murmured closing the door behind her.

“Spike, are you alright?”

“…Yes, I’m f-fine. Just fine!” Spike covered his eyes.

Rarity was silent, and trotted into the kitchen. She gently set him on the table, and then headed for one of the cupboards, pulled out a little yellow box with three butterflies on it and brought it to Spike. “Fluttershy gave this to me a while back. I can’t remember why.” she explained and then opened it. It was a medical box, and Spike didn’t argue as she gently tended to his wounds.

“Y-you know, I’m not crying.” He sniffed. “I’m j-just sweating through my eyes.”

“Spikey-Wikey, there’s nothing wrong with crying.” She gently patted his cheek. “Here, I’ll make us some tea, and then I’ll find you the biggest, tastiest gem I can find!”

Spike lowered his eyes, feeling a blush rise to his cheeks.

“Spike, I don’t mean to pressure, but do you think you’re up for sending a letter? I believe the Princess should know about this…”

“Wha… Oh! Yeah… yeah… okay.”

Rarity quickly went into the living room, and to the desk. She pulled out the parchment, quill and ink and started:

Dear Princess Celestia

I am sending you this letter because Twilight has recently undergone a major… personality change, as I can best describe it. Fluttershy has described that she is behaving oddly, and ponies think she is acting suspicious. I went to see her, and she acted completely hostile towards me and Spike – I am in my shop now with him, we needed to resort to teleportation as she would not allow us to leave.

And it doesn’t help at all that I walked in on her assaulting Spike, poor dear.

I hope Twilight is alright,

Your Faithful Subject, Rarity.

She rolled it up and brought it to Spike. “Ready?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he picked it up and then he sucked in a deep breath and sent the letter off in a blast of green flame.

~~

Twilight lay on the floor, curled up.

“She left me, too!”

‘She did.’

“I’m all alone!” she sobbed.

‘You have me.’

“Everypony is leaving me! I bet Applejack lied about being my friend, too!”

‘She did.’

“C-Celestia doesn’t trust me, I know it!”

‘She doesn’t.’

“I KNOW!”

Twilight held her head in her hooves, crying. She was all alone – her friends didn’t want to be near her. The Princess undoubtedly would either – she felt cold, but not the emotionless sort of cold, this was just plain cold. And she shivered, covering her eyes with her hooves.

“They’ve abandoned me. I needed them…” Twilight felt all alone. She needed help – she didn’t understand what was happening to her, she was losing control of herself and she couldn’t do anything to stop it.

She needed her friends – but they didn’t want anything to do with her, and the ones who hadn’t left yet were bound to.

“Oh Spike, I’m soooo sorry!”

It isn’t fair… She wept. She didn’t know what else to do – anything she tried to do was overridden, changed. Her friends would just hate her more if she tried to apologize.

“I’ll just n-never speak to th-them again!” She rolled onto her belly and hit her forehead against the floor. “That way I can’t hurt them!” she smiled, tears streaming down her face. A giggle passed her lips. “If I avoid my friends, I’ll – I’ll stay in control! It only takes hold if I’m with my friends, or doing something it doesn’t like! I’ll just not move forever! I wonder if Discord would mind having a companion statue? I’ll bet it gets lonely over there!”

Her hysterical, panicked laughter turned to choking sobs.

~~

Sweat poured down Celestia’s face, as she slowly sat down. She took a deep breath, trying to regain her composure. She closed her eyes, counted to ten, and opened them again. The guards on either side of her waited in nervous anticipation. She licked her lips, and slowly levitated up her weapon.

“I’ll enjoy you this day, cake!~” she said, and her fork dove into the tip of the wonderful vanilla confectionery. She levitated the piece of soft delight towards her mouth, closing her eyes. She could already taste it – delicious vanilla, with that amazing blue frosting with the white-

A letter materialized in front of her, and fell. It hit her fork, knocking it to the ground, and the parchment landed in her cake slice.

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!”