• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 5,067 Views, 367 Comments

TwiMacVerse Part 2: Love is a Many Splendid Pile of Crazy - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



In which Rainbow Dash and Rarity discover romance. And stuff in between happens too.

  • ...
12
 367
 5,067

Chapter 3: The Return of an Unexpected Visitor

Twilight’s first colt friend, Bookworm was standing at her doorstep. His nose was read, his eyes bloodshot and sagging, his mane a mess, and his vest messy.

“Helho, Miss Sparkle,” said Bookworm slurring his speech horribly. “How are ya doin’ on this oh so lovely day!?”

“Um…I’m doing fine,” she said in bit of confusion. “What happened to you? Have you been drinking?”

“Ah may have tossed back a few,” he said. “Seemed like tha right thing tah do given my current circumstances! May I pleash come in!?”

“Oh, of course,” she said. “Come right in.”

Bookworm fumbled into Twilight’s library; clearly having trouble staying upright.

“Um, can I get you anything?” she asked.

“Ah shink some coffee would beh a gud idea!” he exclaimed. “Ahnd possibly a waste basket!”

“A waste basket?” questioned Twilight. “For what?”

Suddenly Bookworm started to make some funny noises. Twilight knew right away what this meant.

“SPIKE!” Twilight yelled for her assistant. “GET ME A WASTE BASKET! QUICK!”

Spike did as he was told without knowing what it would be for.

“What’s going on Twi…” began Spike. “Bookworm? What are you doing here?”

“Sho glad you asked Mr. Spike,” began Bookworm. “But firsht…”

Bookworm leaned into the basket and promptly threw up. Both Twilight and Spike winced at this. Once done, Bookworm was able to gain some composure.

“I…I’m terribly sorry for that,” Bookworm began, his stutter coming in a little. “I have not had the best of days recently.”

“What’s going on, Bookworm?” asked Twilight.

“My longtime mare friend left me,” said Bookworm, tearing up some. “Turns out she wasn’t the love of my life! Guess my sixth sense bucked up on me!”

“Oh dear,” said Twilight, mainly surprised by Bookworm’s use of language. “Did she say why?”

“She said that…” he fumbled a bit. “She said that she was tired of dating…an egghead.”

After that, Bookworm just couldn’t help but break out into full on tears. Twilight and Spike decided to give him a hug.

“Aw, there there, Bookworm,” said Twilight. “There are plenty of other fillies out there.”

“Why’d you come here?” asked Spike. “Don’t have friends back in Manehattan?”

“Spike!” yelled Twilight.

“What?” asked Spike, still young enough to not always know tact.

“No no,” said Bookworm. “It…it’s quite alright. I understand his curiosity…You see…this is my first real heartache…and I started thinking back to how I hurt you…and I heard from a Miss Pie that you and that Mr. Apple fellow are officially a couple, congratulations by the way. No offense, but you’re really the only pony I know who experienced a major heartbreak.”

While Twilight admitted that wasn’t the best way to word it, Bookworm wasn’t mistaken there. After all he was her first major (and at the moment only) heartbreak. She also couldn’t believe Pinkie told him about her relationship with Big Macintosh. Though she wasn’t totally surprised, Pinkie Pie did love to spread the good new as far as she could.

“So what exactly can I do for you?” she asked Bookworm.

“Well, nothing in particular,” said Bookworm. “I’m just in a bit of a funk, and none of my Manehattan friends are really helping. I was wondering if it was possible for me to stay here for a little?”

Twilight figured he would ask this, but he hoped he wouldn’t. Yes, Twilight had no romantic feelings for Bookworm anymore. But, she wasn’t sure how her friends (or Big Macintosh for that matter) would react to this.

“I don’t know, Bookworm,” said Twilight.

“I do understand, Twilight,” said Bookworm. “Guess I will just go home.”

He began to walk out, but Twilight stopped him.

“Wait, Bookworm,” she began. “You can stay. But I think you should stay in a hotel. If that’s ok with you?”

“Oh thank you so much, Twilight!” he exclaimed. “I have no problem staying in some hotel! As long I’m away from Manehattan!”

Spike took Twilight aside.

“Twi,” began spike. “What are you doing?”

“I can’t tell him not to leave, Spike,” said Twilight. “He’s having a hard time. And he won’t be staying here. So I don’t see the problem.”

“I don’t know, Twilight,” said Spike. “Ponies might talk.”

“Hardly anypony knows I used to date him,” said Twilight. “I can just say he’s an old classmate. And that wouldn’t be a lie.”

“I guess so,” said Spike. “But let Big Macintosh know about it.”

“Of course,” said Twilight. “I have no reason to keep it a secret.”

Twilight went back to talk to Bookworm.

“Alright then,” she said. “Let’s find you a hotel room.”

“Thank you so much, Twilight,” said Bookworm. “You really are a one in a million filly.”

“It’s no big deal,” she said. “This is what friends do for each other. And it is good to get away from your troubles every so often when things are rough. Even Daring Do has to be able to get away from it all.”

“Daring Do and the Cabana Getaway,” Bookworm commented. “The critics were not big fans of that one.”

“It was different, true,” said Twilight. “But I felt it gave the character more depth. Besides she did end up having to save the day from an angry volcano god cult.”

“I wish you were one of my usual critics,” said Bookworm with a little smile. “So do you have hotels here?”

“Well, we have a Red Hoof Inn,” said Twilight. “It’s really our only hotel. But given that it’s not tourist season, I’m sure they’ll have something open. Spike, take Bookworm to the Red Hoof Inn.”

“Why me?” asked Spike.
“Because I’m going to Sweet Apple Acres to inform Big Macintosh of the situation,” said Twilight.

“Oh yeah,” said Spike. “Good Idea. Come on, Bookworm.”

Spike and Bookworm headed off into the direction of the Red Hoof Inn, while Twilight walked to Sweet Apple Acres to inform her colt friend of the situation.