• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 3,539 Views, 93 Comments

The Wild Card - Tyrant



His name is Siegfried. And he's not the first human to cross the Equestrian Border it seems.

  • ...
8
 93
 3,539

Admitting the Problem

There are many ways to wake up; some are with the sun in your eyes, others are when you are rudely awaken by a loud noise or someone shaking you violently, and there are even times when you slowly awaken to the day. I got to awaken by a chorus of birds singing "Reveille", and though the humor was not lost on me I glared daggers of death at them for the entire time I put away the make-shift bed.

Yawning sleep away I started to head for the bathroom in Fluttershy’s cottage, feeling awkward after having spent the night with Angel watching me to see if I would sneak in to her room. I was starting to become convinced he was "The Bunny from hell" especially after last night; the little hare decided to see how long I could plead my case to let me in before one of the other creatures decided to unlock the door for me. After being allowed entry I had a bit of a workout chasing that white blur before tiring myself out and retired on the couch.

Finally stepping outside I noticed the animals crowding around something that was lying on the floor. "Hey, give it some air guys. Seriously, you act like you've never-- oh! I guess 'cuz you haven't seen it up close, huh?" There, in the front-yard was a small little wolf, though it looked much like the one I encountered the previous night. "He looked much bigger and menacing last night." Honestly the little thing seemed so small now looking at it in the sunlight. I cautiously walked forward toward the small pup. The animals I had been taking care of opened a path for me to get close and I swear they all seemed to look at me expectantly. Kneeling down to get a closer look I noticed that it was breathing normal and had not even noticed our presence. "Oy, wake up sleepy head." I gently whispered and noticed its ear twitch but it seemed to refuse my morning call. "Woof Woof."

It seemed to spring up instantly and looked around nervously but then laid its head down with ears flat. Ah, poor guy thinks we're a mob here to kick it out. "Easy boy, no one is here to hurt you." Slowly extending my hand and placing it on display I wondered for the moment if this wolf would act like the canines on my world. If not, I was in for a hell of a wake-up call.

Slowly it began to sniff my hand, and then licked my fingers. "Well, that's one way to introduce one to another, eh? Question is, do I keep you and are you a threat to anyone here, hell if I do keep you what will be your name?" The pup than began to nibble on my finger and I noticed that it's tongue and teeth really did feel like tree bark. It was a very odd sensation to say the least.

"First things first though, we need to get some food in our belly's. The lot of you, clear the way, its breakfast time." All at once the animals seemed to run to their designated areas. I'm not even sure if Fluttershy trained them to do this, but I do know that after my third day it seemed routine for them.

You know after all this time I was still amazed at how these animals seemed to coexist; I mean where do you see a snake eating next to a squirrel and it looks like none have a grudge toward the other? This was just still sometimes bizarre compared to my own world and I felt at times homesick for the natural order of chaos to balance out harmony. "Wow, I sound like Discord now. I probably just need to do something to sort out my thoughts."

Maybe it was just my not being used to a world where malice was an uncommon. Still, I'm sure that it was around somewhere, though these thoughts should be pushed to the back of my mind and laid to rest for the time being. The small pup followed me after it ate, and I for one could use the company. "So, the question is: Would it be against any laws to keep you? To be honest I don't see any other like you around ponyville. I wonder if the locals would make me get rid of you."

The pup merely laid back exposing its belly in hopes for some attention. "Yea, you sure are young. Wolves usually aren't trusting so easily, but young pups like you are very easily influenced. Where's your pack I wonder, or were you abandoned?" As I continued to rub its underside the pup merely wagged a tail in response. Strange, most of the animals could understand when I asked them a question, could it be too young; a runt perhaps?

I continued giving the little one attention well into the afternoon. After feeding everyone lunch me and the small wolf were napping under the shade of a tree when I heard a small familiar sound of hoofsteps approaching cautiously. Slowly stirring awake I was surprised to see a familiar yellow coat; my eyes continued to travel upward and then looked in to those blue eyes that shocked my brain awake. "Fluttershy, when’d you get back?"

She gave a small squeak, and pointed to the wolf curled up in my lap. "Is... is that a timber wolf?" The small pup yawned in response looked at her, than to me, and decided nap time was far from over as it shifted its weight and laid back down.

"A timber wolf... Is that what their called? I found the lil' guy last night on the edge of the forest. Poor guy looked real worn out so I gave it some water. I fed it some salad this morning and it seemed to eat that just fine. Why? Are these guys like taboo?" I suddenly felt panic rise in my chest. Twilight and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of keeping an animal; much less what animals would be appropriate in this magic influenced world. Canine half-breed wolves are somewhat common on my world, but this was a wolf pup whose body was made out of wood. The rulebook was out on this one.

“I’ve never seen one up close. I heard from Applejack that Granny Smith was attacked by them once. Oh! And that every now and again they come by the edge of the forest, but… you know, I never heard of anyone being attacked by them anymore now.” Fluttershy could not stop staring at the creature in my lap, and her stare made me very self-conscious at just WHERE she was staring at. I shifted just slightly feeling tightness in my muscles.

“So, do you think anyone in ponyville would be opposed to me having this little guy? I don’t want to ignore him since he seems to like me. That and I think it was abandoned.” In an instant Fluttershy was right in front of me and on her hindquarters stroking the pups back gently. She cooed incoherently to it and I could only stare at her hoof praying it didn't miss the wolf at all.

Think of anything, ANYTHING, but that her hoof is that close to... HELLO!!

Her hoof grazed my inner leg which was enough to cause me to involuntarily twitch, the next thing I know the poor pup was thrown from my lap toward Fluttershy and she showed me her amazing speed by catching it in her hoofs. Then she began cuddling it close to her. Staring straight ahead I saw the pup stare at me as if confused and lost, before the idea of being cuddled finally registered in its mind and it blinked sleep away.

"Well, he seems to like you already Fluttershy." I stared a tad envious of the attention it received from the pink-mane caretaker. It dawned on me why most of these animals flock to her; she really did have a way with animals. One moment ago she said that most ponies that encountered timber wolves saw them as feral; in an instant she didn't see anything but a small puppy lost and alone. "Fluttershy, could you watch him for me for a while? I'll have to talk to Twilight on the idea of taking him. I want to know is it going to be problematic if I own a timber wolf."

"Oh? You'd let me take care of it? Oh! I've never cared for a timber wolf puppy before. This is going to be so wonderful!" She twirled straight up and began to giggle uncontrollably. For a moment I saw the pup stare down at me and our eyes locked, and I understood exactly what it was saying to me. 'What have you done?!'

Landing gracefully Fluttershy gently placed the pup down so it could regain its balance from the sudden vertigo; she suddenly trotted up to me and hugged me. "Oh thank you so much! I get to befriend a new creature that I thought was impossible." And just as suddenly she darted back and stared at me with her eyes wide, I was mimicking her expression though my body was completely frozen. "Oh! Oh dear. I'm sorry. I was just so excited. All I did was wanted to thank you. I-I hope you aren't mad. Oh please don't be mad at me. I'm sorry."

Alarms started to register in my numbed mind and gears started to turn. I quickly closed the distance between us and grabbed one of her hoofs. "It's fine. I was just, um... surprised is all. I never knew you could be so forward when you're excited. It was... nice." My cheeks betrayed me and I could feel the heat coming off my face. It was FAR from nice to me. I swear I wanted to feel those hoofs around me again. Taking a shaking breath I tried to give an award-winning grin to convince her I was comfortable with pony contact. Her expression seemed to show me that I needed to practice said look.

"I-I need to go unpack. Angel bunny probably is going through my things and making a mess. It was nice to see you Ziggy, tell Twilight I said 'Hi'!" Before I could utter a response the door slammed ending any chance of that. Staring at her door I stood there my mouth agape wondering if I just metaphorically shot myself in the foot.

Slapping my forehead I than noticed she somehow sneaked the wolf-pup inside while I wasn't looking and I slumped away noticing I had no leverage to get her to try and talk with me.

The walk to Twilight's seemed to pass so quickly I still felt my cheeks reddened as I reached for the door. Taking a few deep breaths I calmed myself closing my eyes and then pushed the door slowly. "I'm back; Twilight, Spike." The small dragon was dusting a bookshelf and returned my greeting. I noticed Twilight was sitting at the center table, her head buried within a very thick book. Clicking my tongue I knew I was going to have a tough time getting her attention. Although I had an idea on something that might.

"Twilight?" I seated myself across from her and tried the usual approach first, though I was already sure it would fail. All I received was a halfhearted 'Uh-huh'. Right, I looked to Spike who shrugged his shoulders.

"Twilight, I need to talk to you." Another 'Uh-huh'. Fine, I tried to play nice.

"Twilight. I think I'm in love with one of your friends, but I need your advice." I saw her ear flicker and knew I seemed to catch her interest. Though now I needed to grab all her attention away from that book. "Also, I need to write a letter to the Princess. I found a timber-wolf pup, and I want to keep it."

"WHAT?!"

Ouch, who knew she could scream that loud. Wait; did she use her magic to boost her voice? Dammit, that's not fair! Stupid magical ponies.