• Published 26th Dec 2011
  • 10,143 Views, 738 Comments

The Bridge Between Worlds - Artemis Orion



How much would one go through just to discover Harmony? Or better yet, to salvage it for the world. Not the Equestrian world, but the human one.

  • ...
40
 738
 10,143

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 8: Party Pooper

Party Pooper

Dusk had fallen upon Equestria, the Moon and the Stars shone brightly in the sky.

It was my first night that I was awake for in Equestria, and it was the most beautiful night that I had ever seen. Even though it was meant to be dark, the night sky lit up the world as it lay a blanket of mysterious, dark light across Equestria. The night's of Earth could never be compared to this. I saw all from the balcony of Pinkie Pie's loft at Sugar Cube Corner. Leaning on the wooden railing, I heaved a sigh.

It's magnificent! Better than any night back home!

...Home...

"Keith! What do you think your doing?!" The shocked but bubbly voice of Ponyville's Party Pony echoed from inside the loft. "Everyone's downstairs already!"

I left my daze out on the balcony, only to see Pinkie Pie balancing a box filled with decorations, topped with a very large and scrumptious looking cake, on her back. How she managed to get it on her back, I never knew.

"Y'know Pinkie," I began, blushing as I rubbed the back of my head, "It's really nice of you to be doing this for me, but really, you didn't have to..."

"That's lazy talk!" The items on her back never budged from their place as she bounced towards me. "I promised you a party back in Canterlot, and I'm keeping that promise!" She turned to the stairs and headed back down, humming an inaudible tune to herself.

"Now come on! The party is just about to start!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Party music blasted from mountainous speakers that were physically impossible to have fitted through the one-pony door of the bakery. In the center of the large room, DJ-P0N3, or Vinyl Scratch, was in charge of the music. The blue-flamed mane of the white Unicorn reverberated from the bass of the music, as she handled the Turntable and AV system.

Everypony seemed to be enjoying themselves, despite the fact that a mysterious new visitor that had just entered their humble town. Some ponies were standing around drinking punch and eating the sweet treats that Pinkie Pie delivered endlessly from the kitchen. Some of them had abandoned the non-alcoholic beverage for hard apple cider that Applejack brought from her farm. Some ponies were already getting a little tipsy. Most of the miniature horses were on the dance floor, jamming to the music.

I had just gotten some punch from the punch bowl, where anyone who had picked up the ladle with hands were almost considered godlike. At least that was the response they gave me.

I looked around the room, noticing the speakers, turntable and flashing lights.

At least they had some of electricity...

I wasn't in the mood to dance. I mean I always enjoyed the occasional party back on Earth, and taking Break-dancing as a extra-cirracular activity in High School helped a lot. But from everything that had happened in my past few days here got me in too much of a thinking mood to fully let loose.

I searched for a quieter corner of the room. I noticed a pink mane, which belonged to a certain yellow pegasus. Fluttershy was behind the counter of the bakery, quietly bobbing her head to the music.

On the show, Fluttershy was my favourite pony. I didn't tell her this yet, because she would just be harder to talk to later on.

Come to think of it, she hardly spoke to me anyway...

I took the opportunity to finally converse with the Element of Kindness. She didn't notice me as I stepped up to her. She looked up when she noticed that a shadow was blocking a flashing light in front of her. She stepped back, eyes widening in surprise. From her mouth, escaped a shy, quiet...

"Eep!"

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW...

I almost blurted it out, but decided against it. I wanted to become closer friends with her, not make her think I was some sort of maniac! I tried to give her the warmest expression I could.

"Hi, Fluttershy."

She didn't reply. Her pink mane covered her face as she concentrated on an invisible speck on the ground.

"I'm sorry I startled you. Are you okay?"

"squeak"

This was going nowhere. I had to get her to loose her fear of me. I knelt down on my knees, making her a head taller than me, where she no longer could hide her face. I looked her square in the eye, a warm smile plastered on my face.

"Fluttershy, are you scared of me?"

She looked away.

"It's okay Fluttershy. I understand. It's not every century a human like me gets thrown into Equestria. And trust me, it's harder than it looks, trying to cope around here..." This was true. The tiniest of things made it inconvenient for humans in this world. From the lack of utensils to the different mechanisms that replaced handles and knobs back on Earth. Not to mention not everypony wasn't as welcoming as some ponies were to me.

But at my words, the yellow pegasus' blue eyes looked up into mine. Even with the strobe lights and loud music, you could see the sympathy that was in them.

"I'm sorry, Keith..." she spoke at last, "It's just...um... I've never seen a Human before. I wasn't sure how to react. At first... I thought you were...well... a bad pony-I mean... human... I'm sorry..."

"I forgive you, Fluttershy. And there's nothing to be afraid of. I won't hurt you. I wouldn't hurt anypony on purpose, I promise."

From that, she finally smiled. Her face was fully revealed by her mane. She wasn't scared anymore.

I took a seat next to her. There were no chairs, so I sat on the floor, leaning back on the wall behind the counter. For moment, we were silent, gazing at the massive crowd. I would've bet that everypony in Ponyville was here. I looked at the banner above the Unicorn DJ. Printed in brightly coloured text read: "WELCOME TO PONYVILLE, KEITH!"

That banner... it's embarrassing!

The yellow pegasus that accompanied me giggled as she followed my gaze. Unbeknownst to me, I was blushing.

"Oh come on! Most of these ponies probably don't even know who 'Keith' is!"

"Soon they'll know, Keith. If your going to stay here in Ponyville, they'll know eventually-"

"And I'm pretty sure Pinkie Pie made it pretty clear who it was at the start of this party." Twilight Sparkle cantered over to us, a cupcake magically in tow.

"How are you guys doing? Enjoying the party?"

"We're doing fine Twilight! The music's a bit loud though..."

"Heh, agreed."

The three of us watched as the Unicorn with rimmed purple sunglasses mixed the music. There was a lot of House.

"Well at least you ponies have some form of electricity." I joked.

"Oh! That reminds me! I meant to ask you earlier!" Twilight sat down in front of me. She raised a hoof, pointing to the side of the Harmony Pendant, at my jackets lower pocket. "What is that white rectangle you have? It never left your possession this entire time."

"What white rectangle?" I reached into my trusty black hoodie. My hand formed around my white Iphone, and pulled it out. I put it up for Twilight and Fluttershy to see. "Oh, you mean my phone?"

A look of curiousity and confusion filled their faces.

"Umm...phone?"

"....Don't mind us asking, but what is this...'phone'?"

I forgot they never were invented here yet.

"A phone is a communication device powered by electricity," I began, "It can make calls anywhere in the known world, so long as there is a power source." My explanation made Twilight go into nerd mode.

"That's amazing! I wish we had something like that in Equestria! Could you show us how it works? Please please please?" She lightly stamped her hooves at every 'please'.

"I would love to! But unfortunately, my phone has been dead since it got here. I can't turn it on, sorry." The hopeful looks of the lavender unicorn turned to disappointment.

But then something inside me connected a few dots. I looked from my purchased standard Apple product, to the AV system beside Vinyl.

"Wait a minute..." I spoke under my breath, the cogs turning in my mind.

Electricity...

Power...

"I'll be right back, girls." I got up, and with determination, walked up to the stage where the DJ played. The ponies on the dance floor stopped dancing, and watched as the Human walked towards DJ-P0n3. Vinyl couldn't care less that I was human.

"Yo dude, what's up! Ya gotta a request for the party I'm guessing?"

"Not really. Mind if I take a look at your AV system?"

"So you're a techie are ya? Sure go ahead, just don't mess anything up." I was pretty sure what I was going to do might do just that.

I scanned over the array of switches and knobs. It was a lot similar to the systems of Earth. I searched for the Jacks that connected the speakers to the AV system and Turntable. I spotted it, and unplugged the one that connect the AV to the Turntable. The music came to an abrupt stop.

"Aw dude! I said don't touch that!" The Unicorn DJ shot me an angry look. I motioned with me hands for her to calm down.

"Give me a second. If this is right, the music should come back on, just as I..."

I inserted the jack into my Iphone.

It lit up, brought back to life. My lock screen showed the 'Flutterposse' image I had used as my locked image from the Mane6 Development Team.

I burst out laughing. It wasn't at anypony, but at myself. I facepalmed as soon as I could breath again. All this time, my phone wasn't dead!

It was just out of battery!

"Dude, as much fun as it is watching you fiddle with that rectangular thingy, I think some of these ponies want to get on with partying!"

"Right, sorry. Mind if I choose the songs?"

"How're you gonna do that? It's not plugged into my turntable anymore, Captain Oblivious!"

"You'll be surprised..."

I unlocked my Iphone, and went to my Itunes playlist. I selected 'Electronika and Techno'. I smiled inwardly. Having that self-made playlist stored seemed to always come in handy at parties.

With the tap of a finger, 'Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites' blasted from the speakers.

There came a mixed response from the crowd at first, confused and worried. But some of them bobbed to the new found source of music. The same white rectangle that was charging from the Jack as it played. By the time the first bass dropped, everypony was back into it. Vinyl especially. She removed her stylish sunglasses with a shaky hoof.

"Mother of Celestia... h-how did you do that?!"

I grinned in triumph as I said, "Technology!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two hours into the party, a sizeable number of ponies were still dancing. DJ-P0n3 had abandoned her turntable for a certain white rectangle. I instructed her strictly not to leave the Itunes page, or to unplug the device. The music that now played, I recognized as 'Strobe' by Deadmau5.

I sat at the staircase to Pinkie's loft, watching the little spectacle below, munching on a cupcake as I did. I spotted Rainbow Dash floating above the dance floor. She was making rather awkward aerial maneuvers. I watched with amusement as she lost control once and plummeted into the crowd.

"...Yup! She's had a lil' too much, jus' as Ah predicted she would." Applejack trotted up the stairs shaking her head in Rainbow Dash's direction. "She'd best learn more self-control."

"I hear that's the cause of your hard Apple Cider?" I mused.

"Now don'tcha go putting that stuff down! That is high quality apples in there!" She laughed at her attempt to defend her business.

"Speaking o' which, Ah don't suppose you had a lil' sip of it?"

"Thanks for the offer, Applejack, but I try not to touch the drink."

"And why not?!" Rainbow Dash slurred as she flew shakily towards us. She made contact with the wall between me and Applejack, and set us both laughing.

"W-What's so funny." The cyan pegasus' eyeballs rolled in her head as she tried to reach her senses.

"Hi Girls-and-Keith!" Pinky Pie bounced out from upstairs. I never realized she was up there. She smelt of sugart and sweat, but she didn't seem the least bit tired. "I heard laughing! What's up?"

"Oh nothin'..." Applejack tried to sound as innocent as possible, but failed miserably. I guess it was expected from the Element of Honesty.

"I'll tell you why you're laughing..." Dash crawled up a few more steps before pointing a hoof at me accusingly.

"Keith here, thinks he's too good for alcohol!" Then she collapsed, supposedly falling asleep.

"Why, Keith! How could you think in this manner?" Rarity appeared at the foot of the stairs, a glass of the fizzy apple alcohol telekinetically held.

"It is of course an excellent source of social lubrication..."

"Heheh... she said 'lubrication'!" Rainbow Dash announced, a little too loudly, from her sprawled position on the steps. Luckily, everyone ignored her comment.

"Jus' give it a try, Keith! You gotta be old enough to drink! You certainly look it!" Applejack gave a nudge.

"Well...I guess one drink won't hurt too much..."

Out of nowhere, a bottle of Apple Cider fell into my lap.

"Yay!" Yelled Pinky Pie. I assumed she was the one her threw the bottle. I popped the cap and took a small mouthful.

It felt like liquid gold going down your throat.

I put the bottle to my mouth and titled back my head.

Applejack's face turned to concern,"Woah there, cowboy! Go easy on that stuff!"

I brought my head back down, the bottle now empty. I gave it a thoughtful look.

"Wow, that stuff is good!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun began to rise the next day. As the sunlight entered through the windows of a certain pink pony's rented apartment, it fell upon the eyelids of a Human.

"Turn...turn off the light..." I groaned as I nestled back into the bed. Receiving no response, I opened my eyes. They felt puffy. A searing pain entered above my left eye. I moaned as I pressed my left eye in, leaving the other open to see the horrible devastated apartment. There was garbage and decorations littered everywhere! Cake was splattered on walls! I was pretty sure that there was a purple-eyed toothless alligator on my torso.

I was right.

"Mornin' Gummy...any idea why I'm here?" I spoke in a hoarse voice. Gummy blinked in response.

But then I panicked. I realized that Gummy was sitting where the Pendant should be!

I picked him up and was about to lower him to the side of the bed. But I stopped, frozen in place. On either side of me, there was a pony. One was cyan, the other was bright pink. Both were still asleep.

"Rainbow Dash?! Pinkie Pie?!"

Crap.

PreviousChapters Next