• Published 26th Dec 2011
  • 10,144 Views, 738 Comments

The Bridge Between Worlds - Artemis Orion



How much would one go through just to discover Harmony? Or better yet, to salvage it for the world. Not the Equestrian world, but the human one.

  • ...
40
 738
 10,144

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Delayed Departure

Delayed Departure

It pains me to do this...

but it's worth the risk.

Strapping the backpack over my back, I took up the sword and pulled its strap over my head and shoulder. It was diagonally on my shoulder now. Lastly, I put on the pendant. Celestia's unbreakable hairstring hung the medallion to my chest level.

As soon as I put it on, Aura's voice immediately made itself more than clear in my mind.

"ARE YOU FREAKIN' CRAZY?!"

So I take it you're disagreeing with my decision?

"OF COURSE I AM! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT LURKS IN THE EVERFREE FOREST!"

Does it matter?! It's not these ponies' faults that I am here... well not entirely. But I'm still uncomfortable with the risks.

I pulled back the curtains. The sun was just about to rise. A mix of purple and orange in the sky shined over the farmlands. If I was going to leave, I would have to do it now. I checked to make sure I had everything with me, before I made a grab for the doorknob.

I don't want them to be in anymore danger than I know I will be in.

"... There is no way I'm changing your mind is there?"

Nope.

"... I knew you were born stubborn, but this beats everything. Don't say I didn't warn you when we end up dead."

Opening the door as slowly as possible, I peered out of my room. The lights were still out. Hopefully, nopony would be awake. I tried to make as little noise as possible as I took my first few steps out into the corridor.

There was nopony in sight. Probably still too early.

I strode out to the patio, mentally preparing for the journey. Silently saying goodbye to everything. The farm, Applejack and the other ponies. This old wooden house...

"G'mornin', Mister Keith!"

Out of the shadows of the patio, Big Mac appeared.

"B-Big Mac? Uh... you're up early?"

"This is a farm ain't it? We're always up early. 'Cept for Applebloom and Granny Smith 'course..."

I stepped back into the house. I felt my face flush. I was relieved, but at the same time disappointed. My plan to leave now had been foiled. And as if to confirm my thoughts, Applejack came down from upstairs. She was just putting her hat on.

"Howdy, Keith! I din' know you were an early riser!"

"Well, I sorta had a restless night..."

"That's a shame... well now that yer up, we should start preparations! Ah think Twilight wanted us to meet her at the Library this mornin'. You best get yerself cleaned up first, Shower's upstairs."

"R-Right..." I trudged up the stairs, both happiness and sadness mixed in my emotions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The warm shower water soaked me as I just stood there, deep in thought.

I can't leave now, not when they're awake...

Maybe I'll just stay one more day... it wouldn't hurt. Plus, if anything goes wrong, at least they'll know where I was.

"Maybe you could just go with them?!"

My mind's made up, Arty. I'm going solo, and I'm going to have to leave at the best time, so that I can cover as much distance as I can before they find out...

Twisting the faucet once more, the water stopped falling. I grabbed any towel I could find and dried off. Checking myself in the mirror, I thought to myself...

Just one more day. It wouldn't hurt that much... right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I made my way downstairs, the sunlight came in through the windows and doors. The light casted shadows on everything. At the door to the patio, I spotted two figures of ponies.

One of them was definitely Applejack. But the other one seemed really small.

"But, Sis! Who is this Keith person you keep referring to?"

Applebloom.

"Uh... Ah don't think it's any of your business, Applebloom. Now go back inside fer breakfast."

Through the doorway, a small, dull-yellow Earth pony with a magenta bow tie in her mane trotted in. Her short legs moved at a strangely quick and comical pace. But they stopped short. Her light brown eyes met mine, followed by her face becoming vertically elongated.

Same shocked response, evertyime. But I had grown used to it.

"Hello, Applebloom. I am Keith. Applejack may have already mentioned me..."

"Eh...er...Ah...um...yer..." Her shocked expression turned to pure excitement. "A HUMAN?!"

She then went forth to bounce on her four legs around me, wondering at this strange alien.

"Ah ain't never seen a Human before! I din' even think y'all existed! An' I thought Ol' Granny Smith was just tellin' horse tales!"

She was only about waist height, and her eyes were comparable to that of a Japanese Anime.

Just then, another familiar voice came from the door.

"Hey, Applebloom! We're here! What's all the noise you're making?"

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle entered, followed by Applejack. When she saw Applebloom bouncing round me, I heard her mutter something to herself. The two other fillies gave the same response as Applebloom.

"Are you an Alien?"

"What's this here white rectangle?"

"What's this shiny pointy thingy on your back?"

"Alrighty now young un's, maybe y'all could be a little useful and gather some supplies fer us! That'd be great, thanks, run along now!" She herded off the ecstatic little ponies, their voices still heard as they went back out. Applejack gave a short 'phew'.

"That won't keep 'em away fer long! Let's get to the Library before the they show up again."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Somethin' botherin' you, cowboy?"

"Huh?... no, I'm fine... just thinkin'..."

Pushing the door open, we were greeted by the sight of the other five, all already gathered around the table. Twilight was discussing preparations with the others. A new scroll, with the same royal seal, lay on the table.

"Applejack! Keith! Good morning! Looks like we got ourselves another letter from Trotter." The purple glow wrapped itself around the scroll, levitating it into my hands. I unrolled it and read the message to everyone.

Dear Twilight Sparkle and Friends,

You say the Aura created a magical buff? That's amazing news! If it can truly grant such abilities, who knows what else it can do! The possibilities are endless!! This is a rather short letter, as I am very busy due to recent events.

But I must bring forward a piece of news. It is becoming rather difficult to keep track of events, and ultimately study the Pendant. So I have made a decision. I will leave Canterlot to stay in Ponyville! A definite date is still unknown, but I assure you, it is for the best.

Until then, Keith must continue to learn from it! The more the better, and I'm excited just writing about it! I will be joining you all very soon!

Yours Sincerely,

Trotter, Scholar of Magic

Mythology Dept.

Rolling back the scroll and allowing Twilight to Magick it away to the box, more complications entered my head.

"So Trotter is coming to Ponyville. Doesn't this make our little 'adventure' a little harder than it is? What if he comes and we're gone?" Inside, I was really hoping it would cause them to stay behind. At least that way it would clear my conscience of leaving them.

"No worries, my two-legged friend!" Suddenly, a wild Pinkie Pie appeared. "Twilight said that Trotter will still take a while to get here, weeks maybe! And Dashie said that we would we back by the time he gets here! And Rarity and Fluttershy and I nodded our heads in agreement like this!" Zooming to the sides of her friends, Pinkie porceeded to push Rarity's and Fluttershy's head up and down in unison, just like in 'May The Best Pet Win'. In the corner, Rarity was whispering something to Applejack, who gave mixed expressions.

But something Pinkie had said disturbed me greatly.

"Woah, wait... what makes you think that we will be back so fast?"

"Silly! That's because we leave tomorrow!"

"WHAT?!" That came out rather too strongly.

"Relax, Keith! Let me explain..." Twilight took over the explanation of an over-active Pinkie Pie. "After thinking it over, I found a way we could travel quickly to the edge of Equestria. And considering the location of Ponyville, we should be able to get there in no more than a few days!"

"I see... and how exactly are we travelling?"

"By Air Balloon!"

dafuq?

I was pretty sure my face made the same expression that those thoughts described. Everypony seemed to expect it though...

"It's not as simple as that, darling! Something of that magnitude cannot possibly travel very far in that short time. At least not on its own..." Rarity turned to Rainbow Dash.

"Right! And that's where I come in!" She was brimming with pride. "Twilight says that I'm going to make a little change in the weather tomorrow. Don't worry it ain't bad! Once I clear the sky tomorrow, there's going to be a slight change of wind..."

"Right! If it works, and it probably should since my calculations have been triple-checked, we will have a great start, covering quite a bit of ground. And there are many ways that traveling by air is a lot better than walking through the Everfree Forest. For one, we won't have trouble with other creatures, and we can cover much greater distances."

"And where will we camp for the nights?"

"Well, remember the cloud-walking spell I found a while back? I could always use it again. Camping in the clouds anyone?"

This was quite a lot to handle for me. How and when did they think this through But it seemed reasonable enough.

But it also brought a pang of guilt. Knowing that they had actually really thought over the journey made it all the harder to have it seen wasted. What made it worse was that they were departing tomorrow! That doesn't give me much of a head start.

"Keith, you're looking a little dazed..."

"I know... sorry. Just a little nervous..."

Nervous to having to abandon you guys...

"You don't have to be Keith! We'll be fine! I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

I would soon recall that sentence a few days later, claiming it as a jinx.

"Now let's get ready for tomorrow, everyone! Fluttershy, help Rainbow Dash make necessary weather preparations. Rarity, gather essentials and warm-clothing. Pinkie Pie, help Applejack gather supplies... and not too much cake please. I'm going to go set up the air balloon outside of town, nearer the edge of Everfree. Spike! Get the check list!"

This is going to be a long day...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day was done, and the sun had left the sky hours ago. All necessary preparations were made, and they were leaving tomorrow.

Which means I'll have to go now...

I got up from the couch in Fluttershy's cottage. She had let me stay there for the night. Heck, I was even surprised she was assertive enough to ask.

But it was a good location. Her house was the closest to the Everfree and the Air balloon which they had decided to travel in. I would get supplies there.

Making sure I had everything I needed for the journey with me, I made my way to the door. Every step I took brought on more guilt. It would be a long time before any of them would see me again.

Or so I thought...

"K...Keith?"

Not again...

It was hard enough trying to leave without getting noticed. But now, my favourite pony is prrobably going to try to stop me.

"W-Where are you going?"

I stopped walking, a step away from the door. I turned around to find the wide, blue eyes staring into my soul with confusion. It advanced with a face of concern, and it wasn't going to let up until it got an explanation.

Oh come on! I can't lie to that!

I took a deep breath and approached the yellow pegasus. She didn't back away, like she did the first time I talked to her. But she still hid her face behind her pink mane.

"Oh, Fluttershy ..." I knelt down, my face meeting hers. "I can't let you girls do this."

"W-What do you... mean?"

"I'm sorry Fluttershy. I'm going. Alone." I had to leave soon, before I could hesitate further. That, and before I could cry.

"Where...? Why are you leaving...?" Her confusion turned to sadness and misunderstanding.

"And before I go, I want you to know something..." I held her with both hands. Whispering to her from the depths of my heart.

"I think you're best pony." I pulled her in for a hug. A hug I thought would never be returned. Wrapping my arms around her neck caught her by surprise.

"Huh?... I... I don't understa-"

"Now sleep..." I whispered into her ear. Willing myself, a white mist left my mouth and seeped into her ear, like a light tendril. As soon as it did, I felt Fluttershy weaken in my grasp. She struggled to stay awake.

"K...Keith... don't..." Her eyes closed, falling asleep in my arms. I lifted the rest of her body gently, and carried her to the sofa. I lay her down as softly as I thought possible.

I took a step back, watching her chest rise and fall as she carried on into her dreams.

I always wondered what having a daughter would feel like. Now I knew.

Before I turned to leave, I knelt down beside her, and kissed her on the forehead, bidding farewell.

"Sweet dreams, Shy..." A single tear fell from my cheek, and was absorbed by the couch. I stood up again, determined to finally leave.

I walked fast this time, fighting off the urge to stay. I stepped out and just so slowly shut the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I approached the prep site, where the balloon and supplies lay. I took some food and a water canteen, and stuffed them into my backpack. My eyes ran over everything else. It felt like such a shame that it would go to waste.

Before I could beat myself up with guilt further, I turned from the site and walked on. Fluttershy's cottage, Ponyville, Canterlot, all behind me now. The sky had somehow turned darker as I stood before the entrance to the Everfree Forest.

I turned back. One. Last. Time.

Goodbye... everything...



The green mists of the wilderness swallowed the human form, and the night went on, almost as if he never left.





************************************************************************************************************************************************************ Musical Suggestion: Vanilla Twilight - Owl City

PreviousChapters Next