• Published 26th Dec 2011
  • 10,144 Views, 738 Comments

The Bridge Between Worlds - Artemis Orion



How much would one go through just to discover Harmony? Or better yet, to salvage it for the world. Not the Equestrian world, but the human one.

  • ...
40
 738
 10,144

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: A Rowdy Reception

A Rowdy Reception

Celestia's sun was halfway to it's noon point. Its bright yellow sunlight casting shadows on everything it shone upon. In the world famous Canterlot Sculpture Garden, not a sound nor voice was heard. Only the rush of wind and the waves of grass showed signs of life, the statues it surrounded were the exact opposite. The light cast upon these statue brought a silhouette to each of them, almost giving a full representation of how the idols were once alive. From the entrance of the garden, a shadow entered. It was not one of a pony, much like the garden's more frequent visitors. The shadow stood on two legs, two other limbs dangling from its side. It's head was covered, the shape of it unable to be distinguished. But from all shadows, a figure must linger. The figure of a human strolled into the garden.

The human wore a white shirt, with a section of black, white and grey stripes on the front. Black denim jeans covered its lower body. A black hoodie covered the upper body, its hood donned over the human's head, shadowing its face. On its neck, hung a gold pendant embroided with six different coloured gems. It was the Symbol of Harmony.

The unique creature continued walking, its head turned left and right at the multiple statues. It looked and understood what each statue stood for. Be it Courage, Friendship...

...or Chaos...

The human stopped in its tracks, at the foot of the granite sculpture of a certain Draconequus. On the statue's mantle, it read:

Here stands Discord, Bringer of Chaos


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So this is Discord...

I looked up from the shade of the hoodie, at the beast of a sculpture.

Having woken up at dawn, I had decided that it would be best that I visited Equestria's history before I left Canterlot. Nobody noticed as I made myself absent from my Royal Apartment, courtesy of Princess Celestia. I had made myself scarce by dawn. I made my way out of the castle, through Canterlot and to the garden, without so much as a word of protest from anypony. Most of them were still asleep when I left anyway.

I'm going to have to return soon. The train leaves in half an hour.

I continued my gaze at the Draconequus, scanning its strange form. It was truly a remarkable, yet ugly creature. It was one thing to see it animated in a Saturday morning kid's show, but having it in three dimensions up close really showed another side to it. It was horrifying, seeing every part of his body a different animal. He was frozen in the same position from when the Mane Six had defeated him with the Elements. It's face gave a forever lasting expression of surprise, and arms outstretched, attempting to defend against the force that had bested him.

And hopefully, you never come back again...

"Keith!"

The voice of a familiar lavender pony separated me from my thoughts of contempt. I turned my attention from the Sculpture to the entrance of the garden, where Twilight Sparkle stood. An excited grin spread across her face.

"It's almost time to go!"

"I was just about to head to the station. How did you find me?"

"The Royal Guards informed me when you left the palace. Why are you here anyway?"

I glanced back at Discord.

"Meh, just curious of something..."

"Well come one! We should be at the station by now!" She turned tail and galloped off. I took to my heels and followed in pursuit.

And nobody had noticed that, at the back of the statue, on Discord's granite leg, was a small, almost invisible crack...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The seven of us stood at the boarding station, anxiously waiting for the train to Ponyville. I was surrounded by six brightly coloured ponies, all of which I had accepted me as their friend. They all had brought a small amount of luggage, but Rarity's won the 'best pile of bags' award. Her mountain of luggage was twice the Unicorn Marshmallow's height. Most of it was purchased materials for her boutique, taking full advantage of her trip to Canterlot.

Seeing us farewell was Mr Trotter, a blood red Scholar of Magic and discoverer of the Medallion, and Princess Celestia herself, flanked by two Royal Guards.

Trotter was instructing Twilight Sparkle on what should be looked out for in the Harmony Pendant, and to notify him as soon as it occurs. Princess Celestia was bidding each pony farewell in a Royal fashion. As she pulled away from the hug Pinkie Pie gave her, she approached me next.

"My dear Keith, it was an honour having a human in the palace." Her royalty was dismissed, and replaced with the warmth of a friend. "I cannot predict what may happen in your future, but I can wish you the best of luck." She dipped her head and the tip of her magical horn touched my forehead. "May your journey in Equestria be a safe and joyous one."

My whole body felt warm and fuzzy as her magic made contact with my Aura, which was amplified by the pendant. It felt like she had given me a blessing.

"Thank you Princess. I will make sure to inform of you of any unusual happenings in Ponyville, or any other place of Equestria where I may travel." I bowed graciously.

Then, much to her surprise, I gave her a warm hug.

"Oh! Umm...yes...well... I look forward to hearing of it..."

"Hey! Hugs going round!" Pinkie Pie lunged into the embrace, followed by the rest of the Mane Six. Soon we were all embracing the Princess. Mr. Trotter stood at the side, awkwardly looking away, kicking at the dust with a hoof.

The train was slowing to a halt at the boarding station. We waved a final goodbye at the Princess and the Scholar. I took one step onto the train, only to be pulled back by my jacket. I turned round to find Trotter, with an urgent look in his eyes.

"Keith, I didn't get to give this to you earlier..." he magicked a scroll from his saddlebag, sealed with the Royal Symbol. "This is of utmost importance. Remember, when you first attempt to use the Pendant, read this." He shoved the scroll into my hands. "It is what I have concluded from my research so far. It may help you in controlling the Pendant, and your Aura."

"Thanks Trotter, I'll keep it in mind."

"Farewell, human. I believe our paths will cross again."

I hopped back on to the carriage, just as it began to pull out of the station.

Farewell, Canterlot...


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I sat on a big, soft pillow, with my head resting in my hand, as I leaned out the window and felt the wind in my face. We were on our way to Ponyville at last! As the train spirally descended the mountain, I spectated the view, and just daydreamed.

What can I expect from this place? What can I expect to come? What is my Sister thinking?

"Hey Keith?"

I retreated my head into the train carriage, Putting thoughts of home at the back of my mind. I turned to face the six ponies that shared the carriage with me. The carriage was larger than a human carriage, and had no real chairs, only pillows. It seemed the Princess was kind enough to lend us a First Class carriage, as it was exquisitely decorated, and it was only shared by the seven of us.

"Can we ask you more about this...so called 'fandom'?" Rainbow Dash, along with the five other ponies seemed rather curious to know.

"Sure. You'll be amazed at the community... or disgusted... it depends."

Remember, don't tell them anything Grimdark or Shipping...

And so, for the rest of that train ride, I told them what I couldn't on the day I had met them. I feared that they would just call me crazy. But now, they trusted me. I told them of how the show started, how its range of viewers rose in an unexpected category of the population. I told them of the 'Bronies and Pegasisters', and the extent of their love for the show and each other.

Throughout the explanations, I was worried that at least one pony would break down and cry, either from feeling of violation or outrage. But it never happened. Instead, they just sat and listened intently, mouths always grinning. Sometimes they laughed at what I said. It felt great talking to those colourful miniature horses! Now I knew how a grandfather felt telling stories to his grandchildren.

We had talked for hours, and the subject never tired. But by the late afternoon, the train had arrived at its destination.

Ponyville.

As the train slowed to the station, I viewed from the window the different residents of the small little town. I saw ponies, running into each others arms, welcoming them home after a long time abroad. I saw foals hugging their parents, tearing as their guardians left for an unknown location.

I grew nervous as I put my black hoodie back on. "So how do I go about this? Do I just walk out of the train, being in full view of everypony else?"

The Mane Six gave me reassuring smiles.

"Don't worry yer little head about it, Keith! Ah've lived in this town for years, and it has seen worse."

"But don't expect to just walk around without attracting some attention, my dear. Surely, some ponies will react."

"Don't let it bother you pal! Just get out there and act cool!" Rainbow Dash raced out of the carriage first.

"Hey, Ponyville! We're home!!!" Pinkie Pie bounced out second. Followed by Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and finally Fluttershy.

I stood alone in the carriage for a moment, mentally preparing myself for a mob of ponies.

Stay calm, act cool. Freaking out at everypony will just cause them to freak out too.

I took a deep breath, and stepped out of the carriage slowly...

As soon as a creature that stood on two legs stepped onto the station platform, everypony's attention quickly turned to it. The entire station fell silent as they gazed upon the Human. The Mane Six noticed, and began to spread around me.

"Oh my... looks like your causing some worries already..." Twilight whispered with a nervous smile.

At the back of the station, a mint green unicorn with a stripe of white on her mane stood up, pointed, and yelled:

"A HUMAN! I KNEW IT!!!!" I recognized her immediately as Lyra.

She was drowned out as other ponies surrounded us. A roar of curious chatter came from everypony. The Mane Six were blocking them from getting too close.

"Well, ya gotta admit! This is a great start for 'going unnoticed'!"

We slowly made our way to the village, as the crowd grew steadily stronger. A mix of responses came from them.

"What is it?"

"Is it evil?"

"Mommy, I'm scared!"

"Muffins?!"

"What is causing all that racket out here?!" The Mayor of Ponyville stepped out of her office, agitation plain on her face. It was quickly replaced with awe.

"Y'know, I'm pretty sure everypony in the village is staring at you!" Rainbow Dash flew slightly above ground level, surveying the crowd.

"Well that's great..." I wasn't sure whether I was blushing from the attention I attracted. "So what do we do now?"

At that, Pinkie Pie's face transformed into a face of utter, crazy happiness.

"HEY! YOU KNOW WHAT THIS CALLS FOR?!"

I gave her a knowing smile, "Let me guess..."

"A PAAARRRTYYYY!!!!"

PreviousChapters Next