• Published 26th Dec 2011
  • 10,144 Views, 738 Comments

The Bridge Between Worlds - Artemis Orion



How much would one go through just to discover Harmony? Or better yet, to salvage it for the world. Not the Equestrian world, but the human one.

  • ...
40
 738
 10,144

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Legion's Rise

Legion's Rise


Legion strode forward, raising his weapon. In a swift motion, he swung it downwards. I jumped to the side in panic, almost getting grazed by this ethereal warrior. His sword struck the ground, crumbling the rocks that it struck. I lashed out at him, seeing it as an opening.

How wrong I was.

I swung my weapon sideways, aiming to cut his sides that weren't protected. But before I could land the blow, a big impact come into contact with my neck. Barely looking up, Legion had stretched out his arm, clasping his hand around my neck.

I coughed up phlegm and saliva, and I tasted a bit of blood. Legion's grip was tighter than a python's for all I could tell. Colourful bubbles blurred my vision while I fought for breath. I raised my free hand to my neck, but his grip wouldn't budge.

"Fighting like that, it makes us wonder how you managed to survive all these years." He pulled me in, neck first, bringing me face to face with the man. "Tell me, traitor, how could you have lived all these years, with the memories of your betrayal dug deep in your mind?"

"I... didn't...!" I spat. I realized that my other hand still had the sword. I pulled it back, and drove it through Legion. He flinched, and his grip loosened, long enough to snatch a quick breath. I stabbed him again, but this time, there was no recoil.

Legion's stern face broke into a smile. It turned into a giggle, and then a full out laugh. He seemed unfazed!

"Do you think such feeble attempts can harm me?" He tightened his grip once more, raising me above the ground.

I felt my face go hot red. I released the grip of my weapon, fighting with both hands at the hands of Legion. He swung his me to one side, and hurled me at a wall. My mind went dizzy as I was thrown with such force, it broke through the wall, or rather, I did.

I felt my shoulder and arm take the brunt of the impact. The old stone blocks crumbled as I flew through them. I tumbled a in the fray, and came crashing, back first, into the wall of the next building.

Slumped against the wall, I tried to regain focus. It was only then did the pain set in, in my shoulder and spine. The old injury from barely a week ago took its toll, a sharp pain returning to it.

"Warning, man! He can't keep throwing you around like that! There's only so much your body can take, no matter how hard I try to shield or enhance you."

"All the better for the kill, Artemis Orion."

Through the settling dust and rubble, Legion appeared. My sword was sticking out of his side, yet he barely noticed it. I pushed myself back up to the wall, crossing my arm over the injury.

"You cannot speak a word or fathom a thought without me knowing. And I must say, I was expecting a little more from you. You were far too easy to control..."

"What the hell are you talking about?!" I groaned.

"Our attempts at controlling your decisions were a success. You really let your mental guard down, and now you pay the price."

"So... the journey, the abandonment... all of it was because of you?"

"Although we do admire you ability to correct those decisions. We never expected you to get this far."

Legion pulled my sword out of his body with ease. Blood didn't seep out of the gash. In its place, a bright swirl of ectoplasm seeped out of it. It didn't last long, for the hole soon sealed itself.

How the hell do you beat this guy?!

"You can't." His face was stern once more. He threw the sword back to me, and I caught it in one hand. Catching whatever breath I could, I slowly stood up again.

"Your merely one against a million of us! Try as you might, the end is inevitable! Once you are defeated, you will join us, and you will guard the pendant like we should have all those years ago!"

Both my hands clasped down on the sword handle with determination. Even if I was going down, I wasn't going to go easily.

"We'll see about that..." I muttered.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"... and that's how we got here, Sir."

"I see..." The grey Alicorn sighed. "I guess it was inevitable..."

"But... what about you?! You're an Alicorn, and nobody has heard of you!"

"You're partly right, partly wrong. But I'll explain later! We must find your human friend!" In his own hue of magic, the Alicorn forced the walls of the dome to push outwards. The dome became just a flat surface, allowing the sunlight to beat down on everypony.

"Now, what did you say he looked like again?" The Alicorn took in the sunlight he had missed for hundreds of years, and surveyed the ruins of the city. "And where is he, anyway?"

At that moment, a pillar of sand and rubble shot into the air. A soft 'boom' echoed through the city. At the end of the shot of the pillar, was a human figure, flailing in the air.

It was Keith. A long yell escaped his lips before he disappeared beyond the other tall structures. A soft 'thud' followed, before silence again.

"I'm guessing that was him?" The Alicorn questioned. The Mane Six nodded in unison. "Well, I guess we should go save his hide." The Alicorn facehoofed.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I was falling back down into the underground, breaking two holes in the ceiling. Both of which were caused by Legion. By this point, I knew it wasn't best to let him get his hands on me.

I landed again, bouncing on my spine, and laying motionless. I placed my hands on my newfound wounds, and ignored the ones I thought were internal.

"What happened to not getting thrown about?"

What happened to you shutting up and just helping?

I painfully rolled onto my front, and rose to my knees. Legion was nowhere in sight. For a single, happy moment, I thought I had lost him.

"Foolish traitor, you can't escape from me that easily!" I turned to meet the voice. Legion rematerialized behind me, with all the souls and auras of the people that had once lived here. I watched as the mists formed his armour and sword as well.

"Stop... calling me... traitor!" I said in pain. Using the sword as support, I rose back up onto my feet, stumbling at first.

But that is what you are! ANd I'm afraid you've reached your end. Legion slowly raised his weapon with one hand. "Prepare to join the Legion."

"NO!"

Willing myself to carry on, Arty shot forward, throwing himself at Legion and tackling him to the ground. I watched as I made him throw blows at the concentration of ethereal beings that formed my overpowered opponent. I heard Legion grunt as he fought back. He sliced through Arty, making my aura faded back into me, but not before he had removed a number of others.

"Well, maybe you're not as useless as we thought..." Legion was no longer cocky, a serious look spread across his face. "But next time, you're not getting the benefit of that doubt." White smoke left Legion, and he grew pale. I knew that soon, the souls would return and he would have fully recovered.

But I couldn't do it again now. He knew that trick. I readied my sword once more.

Legion dashed forward, his weapon at the ready.

"But your not the only one that can control an aura."

His sword flashed, barely giving me anytime to respond. I held my weapon firmly in defence, feeling Legion's stronger and more powerful strike knock away my hand. What painfully followed was a swift motion of his hand, bring it upward into my chin.

My ears buzzed and my head spun. I felt myself flying into the air again. But I didn't fall back down. I hung there, in midair. A blurry figure of Legion held out a hand. He was doing something to Arty, controlling its ability to manifest my body. I was paralyzed and I was too exhausted to fight it.

In the next instant, another force pushed me, hurling me in another direction. I flew above buildings and paths, aiming at one long stone block. It was a huge pillar. One of the pillars that held of the underground.

At the last moment, my nerves returned, and I shielded my body. I cringed with my eyes closed as my arms and legs took the impact, and bouncing off back to the ground. When I next opened them, I was face up, seeing the debris come crashing down around me. The pillar had shattered, leaving only three left to hold up the City's underground civilization.

I curled back up, seeing that one block had decided to land directly on me. It pressed into my limbs again, sending searing pains through all of them, but I was still intact.

How much more punishment can I take?

I pushed the rock aside, fighting back a pun about stoning. But I wasn't on the ground, I was on the top of the rubble heap. I was lucky enough to have hit the upper half of the pillar without collapsing the bottom. Laying there, I checked myself, making sure that I was still in one piece. My shirt was ripped , and my pants were torn and frayed, with red liquid staining everything. Blood ran down my forearms and legs and even tasted some in my mouth.

I spat the metal-tasting sludge out of my mouth. And with a great effort, I rolled back up onto my knees.

"Dude, I can't hold the next blow for you. There's too much magical pressure building up."

We just have to recover somewhere. There's just no hiding from this guy!

Dripping in sweat and blood, I got up one more time, swaying where I stood. I wondered how I was still conscious.

Legion materialized for the third time. He held my weapon in his hand, and sheathed his.

"You wield the blade of a mere soldier." He inspected it in his hand, before driving it into the ground next to me. "Pity. You show the will of a fighter. You would have made a fine warrior."

Mustering what was left of my strength, I pulled myself up for the umpteenth time. Every muscle in my body cried out in pain. But I ignored it. I pulled the sword out of the ground and brought it back to a shaky, but ready position.

"Not... without a fight..." I panted, beads of sweat trickling down my face and neck. Legion took a step back in what looked like respect.

"You tried your best." Legion commented. "But it wasn't good enough." Legion unsheathed his weapon. The two-handed sword slid out of the sheath on his back.

Have I really come this far to die here? After all the wonderful, amazing things I have discovered, why now?

"Maybe in death, you may find solitude. And in death, you shall serve the Legion." In an authoritative voice, Legion took a step forward. The end of the battle was near.

"Oh no, you don't!" A louder voice came from above. I looked up to see a shadowy pony fly down to the underground. But I realized it was more than just a Pegasi. It landed in front of me, hooves forward and ready to attack. Its horn glowed as well.

It was an Alicorn.

"Legion! Obey your master!"

"You are no longer our master!" Legion hissed. "You abandoned us! Trapped us here and left, like that little whelp that you try to defend!" Legion shot a glare at me, and I returned it. I hid my confusion, and just accepted the fact that I now had an Alicorn for help. It certainly brought relief.

"I had my reasons! My people, see what you have become! All of you have formed a monster! A monster that no longer listens to reason!"

"What other reason is there?! What more do we need?!"

"Sheath your blade! There is an explanation!"

"You want to discuss this matter with that traitor?!"

The Alicorn stood between me and Legion, blocking him from any advance.

"You've drawn enough of his blood, Legion. Hear what he has to say."

"WHAT MORE NEED BE SAID?! SUCH BETRAYAL CAN AND WILL ONLY BE REPAID THROUGH DEATH! AND THROUGH DEATH, HE SHALL DO SO!"

The Alicorn never lost his composure, but he knew there was no reasoning with his creation.

"If you're going to kill him... you're going to have to go through me!" The grey Alicorn stood his ground. Legion's face burned in anger, shocked by his creator's response.

"So you choose to perish with him? So be it!" Legion rushed forward, his sword pulsed a bright white light. The Alicorn's horn glowed in the same colour. I watched him as he stood, charging up magic. He didn't rush forward to attack, but I only hoped he knew what he was doing.

The sword came down on the Alicorn. But in that split second, the light from the Alicorn's horn blinded everyone. It produced another type of force. It felt peaceful, serene.

Or maybe I had just given in.

I let my knees buckle, allowing myself to fall forward. I shut my eyes from the blinding light, and let the familiar voices of others fill my ears, as everything faded to black.

PreviousChapters Next