• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 2,508 Views, 30 Comments

Fluttershy's Lunchroom Drama - gmen15



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash meet for the first time when Dash stands up to Fluttershy's bully.

  • ...
1
 30
 2,508

Finding Similarities

Chapter 4: Finding Similarities

The entire cafeteria was abuzz when Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash returned, only to be stopped when the two fillies trotted through the door. Fluttershy could feel butterflies in her stomach as she looked around to see all of the speculative eyes, studying her like a group of researchers studying a wild animal.

She took a frightened step back, only to be stopped by Rainbow Dash’s hoof. She looked at her new friend, who just smiled and gave her a small nod, as if to say ”don’t worry what they think, I’ve got your back.”

Fluttershy gave her friend a kind smile before turning her attention back to the cafeteria. After taking a deep breath, slowly exhaling to calm her nerves, she trotted into the large room, the silence even more present once inside. Fluttershy started to get nervous, but feeling Rainbow Dash’s hoof over her shoulder made her feel better. They walked by several tables, every time getting snide and curious looks from their classmates as they passed.

They finally reached the table that Fluttershy’s “friends” and Hail Blitz were sitting at. Hail Blitz chuckled as she watched the friends pass, their eyes not meeting once. Her smile fell once she realized they were snubbing her. There was nothing worse in her mind than being deliberately ignored. She thrived off of the attention of others. Positive or negative, it didn’t matter. As long as they acknowledged her or gave her attention, she was happy.

There is no such thing as bad publicity. At least that's what Hail believed.

But she absolutely despised going unnoticed, especially when it was done purposefully. Heck, she would take a verbal argument over snubbing any day.

“Foalshy! Rainbow Crash! Yoo-hoo! Look at me!”

Fluttershy instinctively began to turn her head, only to have Rainbow Dash pull her back so she was facing the table at the back of the lunchroom where Gilda sat, staring at the unlikely duo approaching her with a confused expression on her face.

"Hey dummies, turn and look at me!!! I'm calling you! Don't you dare ignore me!"

“Ignore her.” Rainbow Dash muttered under her breath as they finally reached the table. Fluttershy slowly took her seat. She looked over her shoulder to see everypony staring at her like she had three heads. She shrunk forward and let out a small squeal.

Rainbow Dash notices this and turned to the entire cafeteria and growled. “What the hay are you looking at! Get back to eating your gross lunches!”

This was all everypony needed to hear from the spunky pegasus before they turned their attention away from the back table and got back to their own private, group conversations.

Hail Blitz kept shouting “Foalshy” from where she was sitting, her hooves cupped around her muzzle to amplify her voice. But it was no use, Fluttershy wasn’t turning around, she was busy getting acquainted with Rainbow Dash and Gilda, who only gave a small “’sup” before putting in her MP3 player and eating, showing no interest in becoming Fluttershy's friend like Rainbow Dash had.

But Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy talked throughout the entire lunch. They got to know more about each other; about their likes, their dislikes. For being two ponies with completely different personalities, they clicked amazingly well. In fact, when lunch ended and they had to go to their separate classes, Rainbow Dash suggested they hang out sometime, ignoring Gilda’s gagging noises as she thought Fluttershy was a dweeb.

Fluttershy accepted the offer and after a quick hoof-bump, the walked off. Well, technically Fluttershy walked off, Rainbow Dash flew at a slow, graceful pace with Gilda by her side.

“Jeez, RD why did you go out of your way to help her like that? You don’t even know her.”

“Well, I know her now.” Rainbow Dash said as she turned around and looked back, watching as Fluttershy disappeared into the crowd of ponies. Just before she was completely engulfed, the yellow filly turned around and gave Rainbow Dash a modest wave. Rainbow Dash chuckled to herself and returned it.
Gilda, however, wasn’t done making her point.

“But you didn’t then. You stood up to the most popular girl in school, in front of EVERYPONY. Do you know how much of a social risk that is? Not to mention you two aren’t anything alike.”

“We’re more alike than you think.”

"How?"

"We've both been picked on for being who we are."

And Rainbow Dash knew this was true. Both she and Fluttershy had been berated by the school’s cliques. Both were put down by others. Rainbow Dash’s flying ability was questioned and doubted by envious classmates while Hail Blitz and Fluttershy’s friends used the pegasus’ kind nature to destroy her self-esteem. Sure, both fillies were extremely different, especially in their personalities. But both were the same in one way, they were outcasts among the drones of followers who went lock-step with the rest of the school, fighting for popularity even at the expense of who they truly were. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash didn’t let this happen to them, they overcame it and, in the end, became great friends.

After mulling this over, Rainbow Dash let out a sigh before looking up at Gilda with a smile.

"But that doesn't matter anyore, because we're friends."

Gilda seemed to take this in, her eyes wide in interest for the briefest moment, before she returned to her nonchalant self and shrugged.

"Eh, whatever floats your boat dude. Come on, we've got gym."

With that, Gilda started to walk off. Rainbow Dash looked back one last time in the direction that Fluttershy went, as if expecting to still see her standing there, giving the modest wave of her's. When she saw that Fluttershy was gone, Rainbow Dash smiled. After all, she'd see her again real soon. Perhaps after class? Maybe after school?

Either way, she'd see the timid yellow pegasus again, and when she did she would greet her like a true friend. A cheerful smile on her face and her arms open for an embrace. But that was later.

Right now, Rainbow Dash had to go kick some flank in dodgeball and prove to the doubters that she wasn’t just the best flier her age, but also the best athlete.

With that, her face changed back to an expression of pride, her eyes closed and a smile on her face, as she trotted off in high spirits, ready to enjoy the rest of the day.

Comments ( 19 )

Great story! Always liked those good ol' school drama shit. No typos no nothing...dude you're catching on.

1336496

Thanks :pinkiehappy: (how did you get those emoticons anyway?)

1336611

Awesome haha. I'm always worried about that. Glad I'm improving :twilightsmile:

1336855

Glad you enjoyed it :yay:

Man, it's always the good stories that go unnoticed.

A pretty heart-warming short story! Always nice to see the bullies getting put in their place. :raritystarry:

1854531

Indeed it is lol. Thanks, I appreciate that you went all the way back in my stories history to read this :pinkiehappy:

This is my opinion, the best Fluttershy story on here.

Aww, this was adorable. Great job. :twilightsmile:

2444873

Good luck and thanks for all of the comments and the fave :twilightsmile:

Hmmm... short. But it was good nice work. Also where did Gilda get this MP3 from because I'm sure they shouldn't have it. O-well I'm not the author so I guess it doesn't matter.

Very nice little story. First two chapters seemed a little exposition-heavy (show, don't tell), but I'm glad you gave Fluttershy a chance to be more outgoing as a filly and you write Rainbow Dash well, too.
Cheers! :yay:

Oh...I was hoping Hail Blitz would get in trouble by a teacher or the principal...:ajsleepy:

But still, this story was a perfect example of Rainbow Dash's loyalty. I'm glad she gave Flutters a chance! :yay::rainbowwild:

This became instantly as one of my favourites fic :):rainbowkiss::raritystarry::twilightsmile:

Really cute fiction! I could totally see that happening.:yay:

"Would you try, just give it a chance
You might find that you'll start to understand."

Adorable pegasi cuteness!

Who is older? Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash or perhaps they are the same age. I am confused it says that Dash is a short 3rd grader but doesn’t really talk about Fluttershy & her age or grade.

Login or register to comment