• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 1,746 Views, 26 Comments

Fame or Friendship - AleximusPrime



Rarity receives an offer to become a model for Photo Finish but strays from the path of friendship.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,746

Here I Remain

CHAPTER 9 - Here I Remain

Rarity went down the corridor leading to the lobby of the studio for the last time. She was on her way out of that wonderful place which now seemed like a prison, but she had forgotten about the paparazzi waiting out there for her.

“THERE SHE IS!!!” said one interviewer with the microphone as the others picked up their microphones and cameras and notepads quickly and crowded around her blocking her path.

“Why isn’t she wearing her dress?” one reporter whispered to another.

“Who cares? She still looks beautiful without one!” the other responded.

Rarity looked surprised and realized that she wouldn’t be able to get out of there too easily. She knew they wouldn’t take the news too lightly, but she decided she would just tell them all the truth. Everyone would find out eventually anyhow.

“Miss Rarity! Please tell us, have you made up your mind to move to Canterlot with Photo Finish Studios?” the head reporter asked putting the microphone a bit too close to her snout.

Rarity pushed the microphone back a little with her hoof and cleared her voice.

“I am sorry everypony, but no, I’m not.” she said.

Some ponies in the room gasped, others just stared with mouths open while others were in so much denial at this that their facial expressions barely changed.

“Um……well, surely you must be joking…” said the reporter laughing a little. “Wasn’t this, like, your life’s dream or something?”

“Well, it was. And I was excited for it, but I decided to just give up this dream and go along with another one I guess.”

“And what other dream is that?”

“My friends.”

The reporters all looked at each other in confusion and the head reporter started stumbling over his words.

“Your frie……I’m sorry, what?”

“You all heard me. I love my friends too much and I just don’t feel like leaving them. I know I’m well-known for what I’ve been doing lately, and it is fun and puts hay on the table, but I would feel terrible if I gave up everything else I’ve lived with in the past and I don’t think it’s worth it. I’m sorry for those of you who were excited about this, but I’m not going to Canterlot, my decision is final.”

The reporters started murmuring to themselves and it would have gone out of commotion until the head started asking questions again.

“Well actually that’s a good decision not only for you but for the rest of us!”

“It is?”

“Yeah, I mean at least we still have you here to model for us! Right guys?!”

He turned his head around and the reporters behind him all nodded their heads happily and some made a sigh of relief.

“We’re happy to have you still here in Ponyville Rarity!” he said turning back to her.

“Nonono darling, I’m not modeling in Ponyville either. I’ve quit that. Now I know you are all sad about that, but believe me when I…oh dear…”

Suddenly all the reporters in the room started talking very loudly and complaining and the nearest ones tried getting up close to her and asking her more questions. Like a lot of celebrities, Rarity was all of a sudden mobbed by some very confused reporters.

“DO YOU REALIZE YOU’RE MISSING A GREAT OPPORTUNITY?!”

“HOW DID PHOTO FINISH TAKE THIS NEWS?!”

“WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NOW?!”

“ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?”

Rarity was looking around frantically trying to find a way out. They were closing in fast and starting to engulf her with a wall of floating microphones. The earth ponies were at the bottom trying to crawl under and get their hooves holding the microphones up to her. Rarity didn’t know what to do. Finally she had had it and showed them all that she meant business.

“ENOUGH!!!” she shouted a bit too loud as they all stopped talking. Some even got scared enough and backed away giving her room to move around.

She then used her magic to grab all the floating microphones and place them neatly on the ground around her.

“Now, out of my way please.” She said calmly trotting towards the front to try and get through.

The reporters right in front of her just moved out of the way and watched her walk by without a care in the world. They didn’t dare try to ask her anymore questions, she had already made her point and they didn’t want to make her angry so they all let her go. They made way for her to get through the door and she turned around quickly before going out.

“Thank you.” she said politely opening the doors and heading out of the studio for the last time ever.

“Well, I’m sure glad I got that out of my system. Now, back to tell my friends the good news.”

Just then she heard voices of several ponies all at once getting closer and closer. She looked to her side and just as she looked she could barely see everyone running towards her until Rainbow Dash landed hard on the ground right in front of her causing some dust to come up.

“RARITY, YOU’RE NOT LEAVING US ARE YOU?!?” Rainbow Dash asked quickly.

“Oh, um, actually…”

Then all the others gathered around her begging her to not leave.

“Rarity, p-p-please don’t go!” Fluttershy squeaked with tears starting to form in her eyes.

“Yeah, you can’t leave all yer friends like this! We love ya too much!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Please Rarity, we all still want you here! I know Canterlot is good but what about us?! We’re your friends!!” Twilight added in.

“But everyone I’m-“

Suddenly Spike zoomed out from under Twilight’s belly and hugged Rarity’s front left hoof and started shouting to the top of his lungs.

“PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME RARITY! I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT YOOOOOU!!!”

Everyone stopped talking and stared down at Spike. Spike’s eyes opened up widely and his face turned red.

“Awkward…” Rainbow Dash said out of the side of her mouth.

“Um……I mean…I mean WE can’t live without you. Yeah, we can’t live without you Rarity!”

“He’s right Rarity, you’re our friend, and we won’t let you leave us like this!” Twilight said along with Spike to keep him from being humiliated any further.

“Everypony, everypony…” Rarity said putting her hoof up to prevent anyone from talking. “I’m not going anywhere, I just decided to stay in Ponyville and I also quit modeling at the studio. I know it would have been fun to get involved with such a huge opportunity but I thought of all of you and I knew you’d be sad if I left and come to think of it so would I. Don’t worry, darlings, I’m staying right here, and no amount of fame or fortune can change my mind.”

Spike’s eyes widened and his mouth stayed open. A little smile formed on his face and his eyes started to close as he fainted on the ground in happiness.

“Oh my!” Fluttershy said while breathing a sigh of relief. “We were all so afraid you were going to leave us forever!”

“Yeah, you had us all worried sick!” Rainbow Dash added.

“But how did you all find out about this?” Rarity asked.

“Pinkie told us about it…but Ah think she was supposed to keep it secret.” Applejack said apologetically. “We probably shoulda not forced her to tell us.”

“Well it was wrong of me to keep it secret from all of you in the first place. You could have all been devastated had I decided to go and then broke the news!”

Pinkie then popped up out of nowhere next to Rarity with her hair still flat and her eyes all teary.

“So……you forgive me for breaking my Pinkie promise, Rarity?” she asked sniffling.

“Of course I will, darling. I should never have asked you to keep a secret that everyone should know about. Now puff up your hair and let’s see a smile!”

Pinkie’s tears started getting bigger, but the corners of her lips started turning up so they were tears of happiness. She wiped her tears away with her hoof. And then closed her eyes and squatted down to the ground. She jumped in the air and her hair went crazy and puffed back to its curly form and Pinkie returned to her normal self.

“WOOHOOOOOO!!!” she said while hugging Rarity tightly. “THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, RARITY!!! I’m so glad I only broke a Pinkie promise that should never have been made and I’m really glad you decided to stay with us too!”

“Oh thank you darling! I’m very glad to stay also; I was so scared of what would happen if I left you all!”

Twilight lifted Spike up with her magic and set him on her back.

“You made the right decision Rarity.” she said. “You gave up a huge chance at fame for your best friends and that shows a lot of character! Sounds like you have a report to give the Princess.”

“Oh you’re right Twilight, the Princess would love to hear that! Oh but first I think we should all throw a celebration over at Sugarcube Corner. You have no idea how much I’ve been dying to return there with all of you!”

“YOU SAID IT, SISTER!!” Pinkie shouted. “TOO SUGARCUBE CORNER, EVERYPONY!!!”

They then all ran off excitedly back to the confectionery to celebrate Rarity’s decision to stay.



Later that night at the library, Rarity dropped by with Sweetie Belle to give her report to Princess Celestia. Spike sat down attentively with the paper and quill and began to write as Rarity cleared her throat.

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that friendship is sometimes too valuable of a thing to leave behind even for all the riches the world has to offer. No matter how famous or rich anypony can be, it’s never worth giving up friends for. I was given the opportunity to live my dream of becoming a famous model for Canterlot, but I would have to leave all my friends. It was a difficult decision to make, but I knew that I couldn’t possibly do it. A true friend would know better than to leave everything good they’ve ever worked for behind. I am happy to say that I am staying here with Twilight and the others and I certainly will never try to leave them like that again and the next time I do, I’ll just remember that friendship is much more important than fame.

Yours truly,
Rarity

“That was a good message Rarity, Princess Celestia is going to enjoy reading it and I’m sure she’s proud of you!” Twilight said warmly to her friend.

Spike then took a deep breath and blew his magic fire onto the scroll and watched it travel out the window in its smoky form.

“I’m glad you’re deciding to stay Rarity.” he said bashfully turning around. “I’d miss you so much if……well, WE would miss you so much if you left us.”

“I would hate to see you disappointed, Spikey Wikey.” she said rubbing his head tenderly as he blushed. “I knew what great friends you all were and I’d be such a brute to leave you all like that.”

“Even though you were really excited for all that popularity, Sis?” Sweetie Belle asked her older sister.

“I know I sounded like such a silly filly when I heard Photo Finish wanted to hire me, but had I known I’d have to leave my friends, I would have certainly thought twice.”

Sweetie Belle came over and hugged Rarity by her leg.

“Good, cuz I’d be really mad if you left me all by my lonesome!” she said laughing a little.

“Oh I know it, Sweetie. But your sister is here to stay. Now come on, let’s get you home before Mother and Father wonder what you’ve been up to. Good bye Twilight, good bye Spike. I’m glad you all were very supportive!” And with that, Rarity happily left the library with her sister.

“See you Rarity!” Twilight said waving with Spike. “Boy Spike, that sure was close, wasn’t it?”

“I know, right? Rarity leaving us, forever?!”

“Bet you’d have been really sad about that.”

“Oh you bet! I mean what would I do without her?!”

“I dunno, but you’d be one sad little dragon, I know that!”

Twilight giggled and thought about how happy everyone else would be now that Rarity had decided to stay with them. Rarity was happy also. She would continue her life in Ponyville and love it very much. She had matured so much over the years Twilight had known her and had become a very influential mare. Her generosity and wisdom had made her one of the best ponies she had ever met, Twilight wondered if anyone could even compare to that.

Suddenly, Spike burped up fire and the reply from Princess Celestia had already come.

“Oh, a reply already, great! I’m sure the Princess was pleased with that letter!”

“Well you go ahead and read it Twi, I’m feeling kinda bushed.” said Spike heading upstairs to his bed.

“Alright. Sweet dreams, Spike.” Twilight then looked back at the letter and started to read it out loud.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I was so happy to read Rarity’s letter she sent me not too long ago. Rarity sounds like she has been learning a lot lately and I am so proud of her. By the way, this lesson she’s learned just reminded me: I’m going to be sending somepony her way soon…”

“Sending someone her way? Who could this be?”

Twilight stopped reading out loud and just read the rest of the letter to herself. When she had finished, she seemed rather surprised.

“Oh wow. I wonder how Rarity’s going to take this. She hasn’t seen him in so long; I hope she isn’t still holding a grudge…” Twilight looked a bit worried about the contents of the letter but then a smile of reassurance appeared on her face. “Oh it’s nothing Twilight. Rarity’s a smart mare; I’m sure she’ll put her differences aside and forgive him. But if I want her to, I’m going to have to help out along with everyone else to make it happen. After all, that’s what friends are for.”

Twilight then put the letter away in a small stack of other scrolls from the Princess and yawned while heading off to bed. It had been a long and happy day and she needed her rest, especially for this “surprise” that Princess Celestia was sending to Rarity.

But who is this stallion Twilight speaks of that Rarity may know? Well that is a question that will be answered in another story…

THE END

Comments ( 3 )

Pinkie’s tears started getting bigger, but the corners of her lips started turning up so they were tears of happiness. She wiped her tears away with her hoof. And then closed her eyes and squatted down to the ground. She jumped in the air and her hair went crazy and puffed back to its curly form and Pinkie returned to her normal self.

Yeah Pinkie Pie is back you really worried me lol

But who is this stallion Twilight speaks of that Rarity may know? Well that is a question that will be answered in another story…

Ohh I'm sensing a conflict will be coming very soon that is pretty exciting

Wow that was a pretty good story again I am glad that she is staying because that would be very devastating if she did leave but her friends and her family needs her so much and her business as well what she loves to do not only making dresses but also being with her friends and family is always a good thing an awesome to see the Friendship report letter again bringing back memories and it looks like Celestia is going to send somebody from Canterlot I wonder who Could That Be guess we'll find out another story again I really like that it makes it feels like another sequel to green isn't your color this was pretty good keep up the good work

Login or register to comment