• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 1,746 Views, 26 Comments

Fame or Friendship - AleximusPrime



Rarity receives an offer to become a model for Photo Finish but strays from the path of friendship.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,746

Prologue

PROLOGUE

It was a late afternoon in Ponyville with a beautiful sunshine and a cloudless sky. The atmosphere was calm and peaceful, but inside the Carousel Boutique, the beautiful white unicorn, Rarity, appeared to be very busy with something. She was running back and forth using her magic horn to pick up ribbons and sewing tools for her latest project. Several rather elegant dresses were set up on pony-shaped manikins and the last one was still in the process of being made.
The magically talented unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, and her assistant, Spike the dragon, waited patiently as Rarity hassled to finish the last dress. She had a fashion show coming up tomorrow and was already a bit behind on schedule. Twilight and Spike heard about this and came to see if she needed some help with the show. Twilight seemed a bit concerned for Rarity as she kept panting and sweating a bit while working, but Spike was gazing amorously at her until he felt a nudge come from Twilight.

“Huh…wha…?” he said as if he had just woken up from a nap.

“Spike, you’re not being too subtle about your feelings for Rarity you know…” she whispered.

“I’m sorry, Twilight, I just can’t help it! She’s so beautiful … even when she looks all worried and stuff…”

“Silly little dragon…” said Twilight shaking her head with a smirk on her face. She then decided she had waited long enough and tried asking Rarity about her work. “So um…Rarity, the fashion show is tomorrow I understand. Do you need any help, you know, getting set up?”

“Well Twilight, I certainly could use a little help getting the stage ready for tomorrow.” she said trying to talk and work at the same time. “I would like it set up tonight ahead of time, but I’m afraid I’ll be too exhausted to help with that after I’m done with this lovely dress…”

Spike finally tapped out of his gaze and took an opportunity to volunteer for her. “Oh, well we could set it up tonight if you’d rather, Rarity. We wouldn’t wanna tire you out, not after all the hard work you’ve been doing today!”

“Oh thank you Spike, although I wouldn’t want you to get too tired either. I was hoping maybe you could be my announcer tomorrow if it’s ok with you. You did so well at that one show I had with the awful dresses I made for everyone a while back...”

“OH, WOULD I EVER!” said Spike with his eyes beaming. He loved doing favors for his favorite pony.

“Uh…well, what about your stage, Rarity?”

“Well, I was thinking the others wouldn’t mind helping set up the stage. Applejack and Rainbow Dash are strong girls and I’m sure Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie would be more than willing to help out a desperate fashionista.”

“Well, that makes sense. And I’d love to help out too Rarity, but have you even thought about hiring a model to perform for the show? Who is going to model in those dresses?”

“Oh, that’s already been taken care of, Darling. I’m going to model for the dresses tomorrow.”

“You’re going to be the model?!” Spike said excitedly.

“That’s right. I didn’t really plan ahead of time and I thought it would be less stressful if I would just do it myself. Besides, I am pretty good at modeling you know; it’s something I have a natural talent for, but this fashion show is merely to promote my newest line of clothing of course.”

“That sounds like a pretty good idea, Rarity. I’m sure everypony will be amazed by these new dresses you have!”

“Yeah, and the fact that you’re in them will make the dresses look even better…” Spike said under his breath.

“I don’t think she heard you, Casanova.” Twilight commented. Spike didn’t look amused.

“AHA!” said Rarity putting the last ribbon on her last dress. “All done, FINALLY! Now all the dresses are finished and ready! Now Spike…” she said turning around to the love-dazed baby dragon, “…I hope it isn’t asking too much of you to rehearse for the show, is it?

“Oh not at all, Rarity!” said Spike straightening himself up.

“Thank you, Darling. One minute while I go put on this dress right here…” she then picked up a dress with her magic and went up behind her little rehearsing stage in the boutique while Spike went over to the stand with the microphone. Twilight sat in front of the stage to act as the audience.

“Remember, Spike, you gotta concentrate.” she reminded him before he would get all love-sick in public.

“Of course, Twilight, what would I do otherwise?!” he said sarcastically.

Rarity then popped her head out of the curtains and gave Spike the cue. Spike stepped up to the microphone and cleared his voice and read the script on the podium.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, welcome to another one of Ponyville’s finest fashion shows, prepared by Ponyville’s finest fashionista herself, Rarity! Today we introduce to you a new line of clothes which she’ll be modeling for. Prepare to gaze upon the rare and wonderful masterpieces of true fashion!”

The curtains parted and Rarity walked gracefully out on the stage till she got to the end. The dress she was wearing was white with pink sashes and little ruby gems dotting the edges. The dress really became her and looked even nicer when she was wearing it than when it was on a manikin. She stopped at the end and turned a few times as if the audience was watching.

“Wow, very nice, Rarity!” said Twilight clopping her hoofs. “You look great in that dress!”

“Thank you, thank…” she paused briefly to yawn a bit. “…you! I’m happy this dress turned out rather lovely…” she yawned again.

Spike then got back to announcing and turned to Twilight as if talking to the audience. “Breath-taking, isn’t it, folks? And that’s not all! Brace yourselves for…”

He then looked at Rarity and to his surprise she was lying down on the end of the stage curled up and already fast asleep. She had worked herself so hard all day and had already tired herself out!

“Awww, poor Rarity!” giggled Twilight as Spike came over to check on her. “She’s had quite a busy day! I guess she sure worked up a beauty rest!”

Rarity sighed contently in her sleep and nestled herself into a comfortable position. Right now, all she wanted was to sleep and forget everything until the show began tomorrow afternoon.

Spike started gazing again at Rarity, all dressed so nicely in her lovely gown. He set his elbow on the edge of the stage and put his hand under his cheek with his eyes in the shape of hearts.

“She’s so beautiful when she sleeps peacefully, isn’t she, Twilight?” he said with much emotion and passion in his voice.

Once again, Twilight found herself shaking her head sarcastically and trying hard to not laugh. “What am I gonna do with you, Spike…”

TO BE CONTINUED…