• Published 20th Sep 2012
  • 1,746 Views, 26 Comments

Fame or Friendship - AleximusPrime



Rarity receives an offer to become a model for Photo Finish but strays from the path of friendship.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,746

A Very Difficult Decision

CHAPTER 8 - A Very Difficult Decision

Everypony rushed down the dirt roads of Ponyville to the studio at break-neck speed. Spike was riding on Twilight’s back not having to run so fast but he was just as frantic as they were. He couldn’t stand the thought of his crush leaving Ponyville forever.

“COME ON GUYS, SHE COULD ALREADY BE LEAVING!!!” he shouted to the back where everyone else was following Twilight.

“Oh, I do hope she still hasn’t made her mind up yet! With just enough push and shove from Photo Finish, I’m sure she’ll want to go!” Twilight said huffing and puffing from all the running she was doing.

“Well we aren’t gonna let that crazy photographer make her decisions for her! LET’S GO GIRLS!!!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she started to fly faster.

Behind them all, Pinkie was running slowly with tears coming down her face and her flat long hair so droopy that it barely moved from the wind in her face.

“I broke a Pinkie-promise, I broke a Pinkie-promise…” she said to herself over and over again.
Suddenly she levitated a few inches off the ground and twitched as if she had just been zapped with electricity. Her pupils shrank and her vision went haywire like all she could see was a random splatter of paint on a wall. She was starting to relive the moment a while back when she got depressed from thinking her friends no longer cared for her. This time was different. Having broken a Pinkie-promise made with a dear friend, she was starting to question her trustworthiness which caused her to lose her sanity all over again.

“I JUST BROKE A PINKIE PROMISE!!!”



Back at the studio, some ponies were packing things up in boxes getting ready to move. The more important pieces of equipment were still up since Rarity hadn’t made up her mind just yet, but Photo Finish assured them that Rarity would decide to come so they could get ready to pack everything away soon. Over in the lobby, some reporters were interviewing Photo Finish.

“So Miss Photo Finish…” said one reporter with a microphone in front of her, “…is it true that the entire studio plans to move to the capital city of Canterlot?”

“It iz true. Rarity iz ztill making up her mind on vether or not to come, but zhe vill, I know zhe vill.” said Photo Finish confidently.

“But what if she decides not to?”

“Zhe muzt! Ve all know zhe cannot rezizt zuch an offer. I haf already told her about everything and I believe zhe vill make ze right decizion.”

“Well I’m sure all the residents of Ponyville will miss her very much, but we wish her luck with her new full-time career.”

“Zank zhou, my friendz. But Rarity doez not need any luck, zhe already had zhat vrom ze day zhe came here.”



Meanwhile, Rarity was in the dressing room putting on a dress for the paparazzi to take some final pictures of her before her departure. She had on a large and rather flamboyant one with a lot of makeup on. Photo Finish wanted her to look her best for the final hurrah. She looked elegant and very pristine, but her mood was anything but.

She stared into the mirror looking at herself for a while and thinking about her decision. She still hadn’t made up her mind but with the entire studio getting ready to move, she already got the feeling she was automatically coming with them no matter what. Being in the dress made her feel even more ready to leave and a feeling of excitement to go out to Canterlot and do great things was there, but at the same time, a feeling of unhappiness lingered on and on in her head. With a lump in her throat, she began to think of everything that was set before her and which was the best to choose from.

“This was my dream. To be famous…to show everypony my beauty…to be adored by loving and supportive fans in the city that I’ve always wanted to live in……but now it’s pulling me away from something else: my friends. I love them all so much, but I really wanted this and I am so happy it’s finally happening to me. But why must I leave my friends? To go to Canterlot? Am I really ready to model in Canterlot? I feel like I am. Photo Finish might be right, maybe I am ready to go there, maybe the ponies in Canterlot would love me just as much as the ones in Ponyville did……maybe I belong in Canterlot more than I belong in Ponyville…”

Rarity then began to think of her life and what it would be like in Canterlot. She would be rich. She would be famous. Everyone would respect her and look up to her and marvel at her beauty. She would be doing a job she was good at and had always seemed to have a natural talent for. She would live in the most beautiful mansion a pony could dream of, or perhaps even a small castle. She would dine with the most exquisite cuisine to feast on. She would be open to shop for the loveliest jewelry and clothes in all of Equestria. She would be surrounded by ponies who are her type like Fancy Pants or Fleur de Lis and most importantly she would be able to spend time with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna and any of the other royal ponies in the palace. She would have a life so many ponies are dreaming of…a perfect life……a life without conflict. But then she remembered what it was she would be leaving behind, what she still had that she could lose all of: her wonderful friends, her family, her boutique, Ponyville……everything?

Twilight Sparkle: though so engrossed in her studies and knowledge, is both smart and good at making the best decisions and therefore good at making friends. Being with her helped Rarity learn more and love more, she was a pony no one could afford to lose as a friend.

Fluttershy: the kindest of all ponies in Ponyville and so gentle and easy to get along with. A pony that shares much in common with Rarity, is always there to listen to her when she has problems and always enjoys a trip to the spa.

Applejack: although she and Rarity work like polar opposites at times, a very honest and social pony that anyone could get along with. A farm pony but also a hard worker who is always willing to help others and make new friends.

Rainbow Dash: another pony who doesn’t share much in common with Rarity, but still fun to be around and protective of her friends. Her tough attitude taught Rarity how to assert herself more and to not let others push you around or tell you how to run your own life.

Pinkie Pie: who could possibly live without her? True she is hyperactive and somewhat annoying, but that could never make you hate her. She always fills everyone’s life with joy and smiles and Rarity certainly had experienced much of that from her.

Spike: that adorable baby dragon who is always there for her and always willing to lend a helping hand. So witty and smart for his own age and he had always been a dear friend to her, how could she leave him? What would he even do if she left?

And then there was her little sister Sweetie Belle: she and Rarity had gotten closer to each other ever since Rarity joined her in the Sisterhooves Social and it was evident Sweetie Belle would be completely distraught at her leaving.

Her own home and business: she could make more in Canterlot, but she was so attached to this place that it was almost impossible to imagine living without it.

It seemed the only friend Rarity would still have with her was her cat, Opalescence.

“But……I mean I can still visit them from time to time, I’m sure I’d have the money to travel more frequently. They may be disappointed but they won’t hate me for leaving so our friendships wouldn’t truly end. And besides, they support me in following my dreams, I’m sure they would understand…”

But then Rarity remembered something: she was making her way into becoming a famous super model pony and an all-out celebrity, but was that really worth it? What about everything else that she had done for them? She had made beautiful dresses and articles of clothing for them and given away so much art than she could keep track of and made others happy and grateful for her talent. Had all her supporters forgotten that? And then something else hit Rarity: she wasn’t just an artist or a model, she was a savior. With her friends she had helped save Equestria on multiple accounts. Nightmare Moon, Discord, Queen Chrysalis……all these nasty villains were put in their rightful places thanks to her bravery. What would they do if Equestria was in trouble again and Rarity was not there to help use the Elements of Harmony to save the day with? She would be apart from them which would only weaken the bond that the Elements of Harmony had created. No one could replace her as a friend, there was only one Rarity. At last, the decision to stay began to outshine the decision to go.

“On one hoof, I could go and achieve all a pony could ever dream of……but perhaps it’s not as good as I think it could be. Photo Finish will only continue to force me to go on diets and I’ll have to put up with more of those photographers and their very demanding standards when I model. I wouldn’t have time to make anymore dresses. I would probably have a bit of a culture shock and be too homesick. Oh, and another thing: if I go to Canterlot, I’d probably have to put up with that no-good, sorry-excuse-of-a-prince, Blueblood……it’s really not a perfect life. And to be honest, even if it was, I don’t think it’s worth leaving the wonderful life I already have behind. My friends need me and I need them more now than I ever thought I would……”

Rarity looked down at the ground and then closed her eyes tightly. She then opened them back up and looked back at herself in the mirror. Although she was covered in makeup and had a different hairdo and a nice dress on, she could only see herself in there as she normally looked. A normal pony with a normal life in a normal place, but certainly not a nopony. Somepony who could still make a difference, even if she didn’t have it all. She gritted her teeth and her eyes filled with determination. The decision was final.

“No. No, I’m not going, not a chance!”

Using her magic, she then took of her earrings and necklace and other accessories on her head and put them down on the counter in front of her. The dress then came off and everything else she was wearing that no longer belonged.

“None of this is worth it, Rarity. None of it!”

She folded the dress with her magic and set it neatly on the nearby chair. She then walked over to the sink in front of the mirror and washed the makeup off her face vigorously.

“It all goes. Everything here goes good bye. I am Rarity once again, I am not who I shouldn’t be!”

After she had finished washing off her face, she grabbed a towel and dried it off and then took some blue mascara and reapplied it to her eyelids like she usually would and then put her false eye-lashes on. She used some hair curlers to quickly rearrange her hair into its normal look and set them back down and quickly looked at herself in the mirror one last time.

“You have a job to do Rarity, and it doesn’t include leaving everything behind. My decision is final!”

Rarity then turned around and started to leave the room with a smile of confidence. She knew she was giving up a great opportunity, but she felt no remorse. It could have been good, but she felt even better staying behind, she knew she had made the right decision and that made her feel better about herself. Leaving her friends for all this would have been a foolish and cowardly mistake.

Suddenly, the door opened before she could get there and Photo Finish came barraging in.

“Ah, Rarity, zhou are juzt in time!” she said excitedly not noticing Rarity had gone back to normal. “Ze paparazzi out here iz sooooo eager to get zhour……vait a minute…vhy are zhou not in ze drezz I gave zhou?!”

“I’m sorry Photo Finish, but I took it off, I’m won’t be needing it. I’ve decided to-”

“But zhou can’t do zhat, zhey are expecting zhou to look zhour bezt and……ah, zhou know vhat, vorget zhe drezz. Zhou can juzt go out zhere az zhou are, I am zure zhou vill look juzt az veautivul vithout any drezzez.”

“No, darling listen: I’m not doing this anymore, I quit.”

“Zhou……ZHOU VHAT?!?”

“I quit. I’m not modeling for you anymore and I’m not moving to Canterlot. I am sorry but this just isn’t for me. I could be rich and famous but I’m losing too much if I go with you so I’m not going so I might as well quit.”

Photo Finish stared with her mouth wide open for a few seconds until she entered a state of denial.

“Rarity, dahling, zhou are joking me! Of courze zhou vant to go vith uz, how could zhou not?!”

“No, am serious, I am not going. Like I said, I’m leaving too much behind and I don’t want to do that.”

“NOOO!!! Pleaze Rarity, zhou can’t! Ve are getting ready to leave, everypony who vorkz here zinkz zhou are coming vith uz!!”

“Yes, and I am dreadfully sorry about that. I hope without me you can all still manage this company well enough if you choose to stay in Ponyville.”

“But Rarity, zhiz iz vhat zhou vanted!!”

“No Photo Finish, it’s what you wanted. I’ve helped your company gain a better income and I know I’ve gained myself more popularity, but no one has even stopped to consider all my friends and family and my old job. I refuse to lose any of that to only help your company achieve more money regardless of whether or not it’s the life for me. Once again I am sorry, but I must go. Thank you for this opportunity though; I had fun while it lasted. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a life to get back to.”

And with that, Rarity solemnly trotted out the door right past her former employer without any regrets. Photo Finish watched her leave with her mouth hanging open even wider. The surprise caused her glasses to fall off without her noticing. Her magenta irises shrunk and her face was horrified as ever. She had just lost her crown jewel and all hopes of getting all the money and fame she was hoping for.

“No……how can zhiz be happening?! All zhat money, gone……I could haf been in charge of ze greatezt photography ztudio in all of Equeztria and know my tool to victory iz gone! Rarity haz abandoned uz all!! VHAT DID I EVER DO TO DEZERVE ZHIZ?!?

VHYYYYYYYYY?!?!”

Photo Finish sat down on the floor and put her front hooves up in the air looking to the ceiling as if cursing the higher being above her. But no such blessing would come down upon her. She had clearly used Rarity for her own personal gain and deserved no mercy for that. Photo Finish was finally out of luck.

TO BE CONTINUED…