• Published 15th Sep 2012
  • 8,995 Views, 110 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Final Days - MasterZero



Twilight Sparkle's death is coming near. She says goodbye to Celestia, who gives her one last gift.

  • ...
10
 110
 8,995

The Final Report

It had been decades since the passing of Ponyville's protector, Spike. With his passing, the impact the Elements of Harmony had made on the world was no longer so obvious. Sugarcube Corner had long closed down, the Elements had yet to find their new bearers, and Celestia and Luna had taken new apprentices.

Still, none were worthy of alicornship. Heroes and heroines they were, but none were Twilight Sparkle.

Celestia looked to the stars, and she imagined her old student dancing among them, playing with them like little balls of clay. Molding and shifting them. Simple playthings.

She smiled at the thought, before she saw something peculiar. A cloud was leaving its place from the sky. Was a young pegasus searching for a bed? No, it was too small....It looked barely enough to rest one's hoof on.

The cloud suddenly turned, shooting at Celestia, as she stood on her balcony. It raced towards her, before it shot into the air, rolling into a spiral. The purple cloud solidified, and gently descended as a piece of paper.

Celestia stared at it with shock. The paper had evidence of being rolled up, like one of the scrolls the palace was filled with. The sides were clean of ripples and rips. Too clean. The paper was smooth and even warm, giving the goddess a sense of calmness and ease.

Dear Princess Celestia

"Twilight...?"

I wish you could see what I've seen. I've seen the universe born and reborn. I've seen planets made of diamonds and skies made of jewels. I've seen seas of lava and streets of wood. I've seen things that I could have never imagined in my wildest imaginations, and yet, I cannot help but think that it would all be boring without my friends.

Half the fun of seeing the universe (and neighboring universes) is seeing what my friends think about it! Applejack, Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash have all made my time here wonderful!

But it wasn't always like that. I have learned that while friendships can be hard to maintain, they can be even harder to rebuild. Friendship can easily be broken by one's own feelings or by misunderstandings, or even by learning about the rest of the world. Growing up, we all saw what life really had to offer, and it overwhelmed us, I think. It almost overwhelmed me. Responsibility to family, those who look up to us, and to our own dreams can tear apart the bonds between friends.

But if you really care, if they really care, then you can rebuild. You can balance responsibility and fun. You can still be overwhelmed, but you will never be alone.

Some friendships are strong enough to do that. Those are the friendships that will never break. Those are the kinds that are eternal. They're the ones that make you think it must be magic.

"Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle."

Celestia's eyes widened and she spun around, once more stupefied by what she saw.

"Twilight?"

The purple unicorn ran over and rubbed her immortal teacher's neck with her own. The alicorn did the same as tears came to their eyes.

"It has been far too long, my dearest student...Though, I suppose I can no longer call you that. You have learned far more than I have."

"You will always be my favorite teacher, Princess," Twilight smiled. She then turned her head, and stared into the dark night sky. "It really is beautiful out there...To move a star with magic is one thing, but to mold one? To make one with one's own hooves? Its just one of the most fantastic things out there."

"I envy you. The sights out there, the things you must have witnessed after all these years..."

"I know. Which is why I 'm here."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Twilight! You really are here!" Luna, Cadence, and Twilight's fellow immortal ponies walked in. The two alicorns ran to the purple pony and embraced her, before looking around them. "Why do I get the feeling this isn't a simple visit?" Cadence inquired.

"We wanted to trade places!" Pinkie Pie blurted out.

"What?!"

"Pinkie, I was getting there!"

"Whoops! Sorry, Twilight!"

"Trade places with us? You cannot simply do that on a whim, Twilight! There are obstacles! What would Lauren have to say-?" Luna was interrupted by the purple unicorn.

"We already asked her. She's fine with it."

"Fine? But how will you explain your return?"

"We'll make a story. Don't worry, we won't let them know the truth, but we're sure we can think of something."

"None of you know anything about leading a country!"

"We'll learn, and you're free to stay for the first few weeks, to make sure we have it under hoof."

"And what will we do while you rule in our stead after that? We cannot be simply cast aside!"

"Silly, loony Luna! We're trading places, not replacing!"

"Princess Luna, Princess Celestia...You've ruled over Equestria for over two thousand years. You've had the responsibility of choosing ponies worthy of true godhood. Yet you have never had the chance to know what it was like out there. We want to take your place here, and with your permission, rule over Equestria while you go and experience what the universe has to offer."

"This is most...alarming. I...do not know what to say."

"Twilight, are you sure?" Celestia asked. "Are you all sure?"

"Shoot, of course we are! Why, you princesses ain't never had a break! You deserve this vacation, and if the only way to get that vacation is by ruling in your place, then we're all for it!"

"While I do not share Applejack's exotic dialect, I do share her willingness to return to Equestria and to help it grow."

"Do you even have to ask?" Rainbow grinned.

"It would be our honor, if that's alright..."

"You betcha!"

"What about Princess Cadence?"

"They've already spoken to me about it. I've already seen what its like out there, now I want to stay, and help them."

"Princesses, you've just done so much for all of us. We just want to return the favor," Twilight explained.

"They do seem adamant about the matter, sister, and if there is anypony worthy of replacing us, it would be Equstria's greatest heroes."

Celestia looked at her hesitant sister, before looking at the six ponies. She smiled at them as she gently nuzzled her sister's head, comforting her. "We have always dreamed of what it was like out there." Tears fell from the alicorn's eyes once more as she closed them. "Thank you, Twilight. Thank you, everypony. You honor us."

"So you're okay with this?" Twilight beamed.

"We will, of course, need to help you catch up to current events, and we will need to think of a story to tell the populace, but yes, we are."

"I also believe that Twilight Sparkle and her friends should give my sister and I a list of some of their favorite sights out there," Luna added, before the nine ponies shared a brief laugh.

"It would be our honor, Princesses!"

-----------------------

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria. There were six, benevolent friends who ruled together.

Princess Rarity, who gave us the night sky, bringing forth the moon and the stars.

Princess Applejack, who taught us how to grow and nurture our forests.

Princess Rainbow Dash, who commanded the weather and inspired thousands with her stories.

Princess Fluttershy, who cared for everyone, as if she was their mother.

Princess Pinkie Pie, creator of our dreams and giver of joy to all.

And Princess Twilight Sparkle, the leader of the six, the alicorn of the sun, and the greatest of teachers.

Thus, the six ruled over Equestria, protecting and guiding their subjects, all the different types of ponies, and all of the neighbors that coexisted with them.

But as time went on, a being from the six's past struck. Once a normal mare, now a being full of jealousy and hate, Envy, attacked the six. She attempted to destroyed them and everything they protected. The six tried to reason with Envy, but she would not stop, so they were forced to banish her, locking her away within the moon, by using the most powerful artifacts known, the Elements of Harmony.

With the threat defeated, peace has been maintained with Equestria for generations since.

"Elements of Harmony...Consarnit, now I know ah've heard about them before." Turnip Cart scratched his head through his baseball cap, as he picked the book up with his mouth and placed it back on the bookshelf. "Hmm..."

"Turnip Cart! You still in there, boy? This cart ain't gonna move itself!"

"Comin' pa! Hey, you mind if I go to the library while we're in town? There's a book I'm lookin' for!"

Unbeknownst to the farm hand, six pairs of eyes were watching him thanks to magic. The six alicorns looked at one another, silently. The dramatic tension was quickly broken, by one of them giggling.

"Its like if Twilight had Applejack's accent! Oh man, that's hilarious!" Rainbow laughed.

"Hey, you sayin' my accent's funny?"

"Are you saying its not?"

Twilight rolled her eyes as the two poked fun at one another, Pinkie now joining Rainbow in laughing at the young colt. She looked down at the magical pool and saw the pony helping his elderly father push the cart up a hill. He was generous, there was no doubt to that.

As she stared at the pool, she realized. This was the same way Princess Celestia had seen them, and had known they were worthy of the Elements of Harmony. She smiled to herself, proud to be like her mentor, when a golden light appeared before her. A postcard floated before her face, along with a dozen of photos..

"Greetings from the Big Bang. Wish you were here. Love, Celestia and Luna," Twilight read.

She passed the photos to her friends, who beamed at the sight of old friends. It seemed by the way the two sisters were posing with the cosmic egg, they were truly enjoying their vacation. Smiles were on each of their faces, as they teased one another, both wearing the classic tourist shirts for added humor, a camera around Luna's neck.

Sadly though, Twilight had to play the wet blanket. "Come on, girls. Time to go. We still have a lot more planning to do."

"Hey, who wants to stop by Donut Joe Jr's place when we're done?" Rainbow inquired.

"Race ya there," Applejack challenged. "Hooves only."

"You're on."

"Ooh! Ooh! Can I narrate!? GASP! Fluttershy, Rarity, wanna be my narrating buddies?"

"Oh, well...I...I don't really have the voice for-"

"Oh, come now, Fluttershy. One should never be against trying new things. We'd be happy to join you, Pinkie."

"WHEEE!" As the six alicorns walked out, Twilight looked at the postcard hovering before her. She used her magic to turn it around, and read the back. Her lips curled into a smile as she read.

Thank you

Comments ( 51 )

Best Fic EVER! Have a moustache :moustache:

Wonderful!

11/10 :moustache:

Be interested to see some slice of lifes of the Mane 6 ruling Equestria and maybe them finding the new bearers of the Elements or something.

And Princess Twilight Sparkle, the leader, in charge of the sun and who supervised everything.

Gag, sounds like she wants to control EVERYTHING lol.

1457217 I love mustaches!

1457383
Thank you, Batman!

1457413
...Yeah...:twilightblush:

what about spike... :fluttercry:

great fic

1457948

Dead as a doornail, along with the Apple Family, the Cakes, and everyone else the Mane Six knew during their time.

Magnificent! Simply exquisite!

1457413
Yeah, you should see her three-millennial checklist! :twilightsheepish:

1457968
i was thinking more along the lines of twilight missing him or visiting him before he passed... or maybe even getting the same offer.
but yea great story :moustache:

Very nice read. Wish i could write stuff like this.

1279237

Basically. Humanity has evolved to the point where the laws of the universe have no affect on us. We move faster than light, can create and destroy matter, see the very fabric of the universe, and can create, and alter life.

Look... laws of the universe, as you call them, cannot be broken. Its not a matter of us not having the required knowledge to do it, its a matter of being physically impossible.

First: Moving faster than light. The Space-time-continuum is called that because space and time are connected. the speed of light is the fastest speed at which something can travel, if something happens to have the kinetic energy required to move faster than the speed of light, space warps around that object so that it has to travel further to go the same distance, which loops it right back to the speed of light. This has been proven through measuring the speed of light from a laser on a moving platform, no matter what the velocity of the point the laser is coming from, the light from it always moves at c.
You could say instead that they can move at the speed of light and/or can teleport, matter transportation has not been completely ruled out as a possibility (only mostly)

Second: Creating and destroying matter. We already can destroy matter (nuclear energy) so I'm going to assume that you mean we will not be required to follow the law of conservation of mass and energy. This would essentially mean that we can create something from nothing, which does not happen. For a change to take place, energy must be used in the system, and if some sort of matter were to be destroyed, energy is released. This is not because of our technology, this is a necessary law, and no amount of technology can have an effect on that.
You could instead say that the futuristic humans have mastered nature to the point that they can create physical objects from pure energy and can turn physical matter into pure energy

Third: Can see the very fabric of the universe. We kinda already can see the "fabric" of the universe. We have a very detailed understanding of the elements, even to the point of creating our own. If that is not what you mean by fabric of the universe, then we also have an understanding of vacuums, light and sound waves, atoms, etc. Also I feel like I should mention the god particle in here somewhere, also very important in understanding the fabric of the universe but I don't know very much about it yet, been too busy reading fanfics :facehoof:. Right now the search for understanding rests on theories, for instance the string theory.
Instead, you could say that these future humans have a complete understanding of the functions and workings of the universe.

Fourth: Create and alter life. We already can (kind of). However research for a greater understanding of this has been hindered by governments cutting funding for or out right outlawing these practices. Many times because politicians don't want people playing god (whether or not that is how they word it, but we all know it is true) Take for instance stem cell research, using unborn embryos, we could theoretically cure anything. Seriously, anything: cancer, severed limbs, common cold... hell, we could even (very theoretically) cure mortality, which is altering life. That isn't exactly a sci-fi/extremely futuristic fantasy; that is a century or two after scientists can receive funding and support. And we can clone things as well, essentially "creating life" and using this method and biological engineering (which has been making great advances in recent times) we could essentially create a new species... including multicolored small horses... this would only be after decades of research though, probably even longer.
This one isn't a correction, I just felt like talking about it...


Talk about breaking laws of physics has an effect on me. You could say that it "rustles my jimmies." I generally don't like to use memes, but that expression does seem to describe my meaning quite well. The point I'm trying to get across is that you don't have to make ridiculous claims to support your story, and saying that people can just learn to break the laws of physics is a ridiculous claim.

This is not meant to be mean, critical, or condescending, its meant to be informative. I don't think that this would offend you (or anyone else for that matter), but if it does, I'm sorry.

Also, this is not meant to be me saying anything bad about your fic, I have yet to read it, but I plan to sometime soon.

1458310

I'm a huge fan of stories that are over-the-top and impossible (explaining my love of the Silver Age comicbook days), and part of the reason I wanted to write this was because of how insanely overpowered and ludicrous the humans are. So really, this is something I can't help.

I love the impossible, and this story is not meant to be possible in any way.

I don't take what you say as offensive, but I doubt it will help saying any of it.

And of course, there's the classic saying to explain everything. "Its magic."

This was so uplifting. I loved it! Thank you for writing this!!

1458496
Hmm... well if the intention of it is to be over the top then I guess this is just an area where reasoning doesn't make sense.

I do have something to say about "its magic" though. This is something I thought about... I mean, we are talking about a fanfic of a show about magical ponies, come on. but then I realized that this is meant to provide some sort of explanation as to why there are magical ponies. Exposition that requires suspension of disbelief just to make sense... is not exposition :twilightoops: and this is supposed to be some sort of explanation as to why these ponies exist, so to say that it is magic is to say that you really just have no idea, which would take away the purpose of a story that is all about having an idea.

Its a good thing that you didn't say "its magic" as your main answer, I can accept that this is meant to be over the top sci-fi.

Anyway, I'll be reading this tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

1458647

While I know you won't enjoy the over the top sci-fi fantasy, I hope you can enjoy the more emotional bits, which make up most of 1 and 3. Happy reading.

I gotta say, pretty solid read. I definitely got some feels from it.

One question though. Is the whole "Envy" story supposed to be an excuse to allow Luna and Celestia back without much trouble when that time would come?

1458895

No, Envy is supposed to represent a sort of 'Book Ends' ending. Basically, next generation Nightmare Moon. Just like Twilight read about her, and thus started her Elements of Harmony, Turnip Cart read about Envy and started his Elements of Harmony.

1458980

Ah, Alright, then.

Still, had so many feels, good work.


What about Shining Armor though?

I don't think Cadence would let her husband go that easily y'know.

Cute little Cadence would swap places with him if it was the only way to save him.

1459034

Shining Armor died years before the events of Chapter 1. He died, and he was mourned, before everyone moved on. Well, Cadence never found true love again, but you know what I mean.

1459336

They're not on the same world. They're just both on planets that have forests.

I almost mistook you for an Asian masseuse as happy as this ending was! Good job:pinkiehappy:

this story......it gives the feels........thank you

This went from making me tear up at the beginning, to smiling wide at the end.

You made pinkie happy. :pinkiehappy:

So... Envy = Cadance?

1460584

No, Envy equals Trixie.

1460634

:twilightoops: How did Trixie end up immortal?

1460676

I left it open in case I ever wanted to expand on this story. Its not supposed to give a complete answer to what happened.

Like how Lauren Faust said Luna becoming Nightmare Moon wasn't all Luna, that there was something else that helped make her into Nightmare Moon.

1458647

Being a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major (and a minor in either Physics or Psychology, though I've yet to decide), I'd usually agree with the whole 'this reasoning does not make sense' effort. However... This is a show about magical ponies. And to say that the existence of magic is based off of science? Well, I think it would undermine everything about his story. It would, in fact, undermine the entire show itself. Some of it can be thought of scientifically, but I find myself realizing everyday just how magical this science which I study is. As humans, we've always striven to define and rationalize that which is around us. But at the end of the day? I like to think that some magic remains.

And if you consider what he said 'over the top,' I'm afraid you're mistaken. While he did call it 'laws of the universe,' they are, in fact, just theories. Theories which are made to be broken. Little in this universe is exact. Einstein's E=mc^2 even has faults to it. Breaking the speed of light? That's a mere constant. The Special Theory of Relativity is a theory, as is sound as the speed of light is (which is actually measured in a vacuum, different scenarios can be stimulated which would cause said speed to increase. We use the speed of light because it's a convenient constant when measuring, say, wavelength and frequency). Special Relativity dictates that all motion is relative, and actually discredits the theory of 'the speed of light.' I'd recommend looking into it for some light reading.

Secondly, your issue with the creating and destroying matter. Technically, it only applies to an isolated system, meaning that it only applies if our entire system is, indeed, isolated. This, actually, ties into your third point, your problem with his term "fabric of the universe." I assume, him being a writer and all, that this was a poetic way of saying understanding the entire workings of the universe. Perhaps they discovered the universe is not, in fact, an isolated system, and thus, managed to engineer a method to create matter with this new knowledge. Furthermore, you sound as though we have discovered all of the elements. In the 1800s, they believed they had discovered them all, yet even in more recent years our discoveries are growing. As our capabilities grow and we're able to send devices further into space and do more accurate research, it's likely that we will discover more. I do not with so speak for the author, though I can't help but to think this is part of what he meant as far as 'fabric of the universe' is concerned. We have a brief understanding of the universe. If that! Ask any physicist, any astronomer, any engineer how much of the universe we know. There answer will be "nothing."

Fourthly... I'm not quite sure where talk of politicians came in... But I do disagree with your statement that it's hardly a futuristic fantasy. Look back to the ages that we believed in the magic of alchemy. Look back to more recent years where urine was used to cure the chills, and herrings were used for fevers. Have we not entered the era of 'futuristic fantasy'? Every new discovery we make, every new progression... It's science-fiction made real. Yet, until it's in the hands of today, it's still just that. Science fiction.

I suppose you could say that talk of not being able to break the laws of physics just "rustles my jimmies." There are few 'laws' out there, and I guarantee you that every single one is so specific, it's impossible to apply to everyday scenarios. Take the Laws of Conservation of Mass and Energy. Those entirely depend on us living in an isolated system. The laws of Thermodynamics? They seemed sound... until exceptions were found, and they were forced to reword it. Laws are merely meant to be challenged. They provide something to be studied. Something to be tested... And something to be proven wrong. We learn to overcome those laws. We learn.

Sorry if this sounded critical... I just get all icky inside when I see unjustified attacks on science.... Particularly on something in a MLP:FIM fanfic website.

:heart: Love and tolerance, and have a pleasant day!<3

1460956
Attacks on science? is that what it came off as... hmm, my bad... It was meant as just commentary. I happen to love science, and I thought that what I said conveyed that, if this was viewed as an attack on science I must have made some grievous wording mistakes.

And politics came in because I was getting ramble-y, whenever I start talking quite a bit I always somehow wind up mentioning politics, religion, or war... I don't know why, it just happens. My running theory is that I like to cause controversy/arguments, and bringing these topics up has a tenancy to do that. Not in a bad way mind you, I view arguments as a constructive way of learning and controversy as a way to fix social issues.

And while I'm always up for some discussion with another talkative/opinionated individual, frankly I don't see the need to discuss it here, this should be left for discussing the story, I already feel kinda bad about that first comment anyway, that had nothing to do with this fanfic. In fact I feel a little bit bad about this one too, sorry author.

Anyway, if you would ever like to discuss science (or anything else interesting) feel free to send me a PM or something, I would be happy to talk about it.

That was kinda nice!
Here have this pic of the Alicorn 6
fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/287/5/9/the_elements_of_harmony_by_sapphiregamgee-d4mb6ud.jpg

Btw Envy, would that be Trixie? At least the names rhyme.

1461729 Umm Applejack...your mane is on fire :twilightoops:

1461837
You could say she's a
(puts on sunglasses)
fiery mare!
YEAH!

Great fic. I totally loved it. I must say thank you for a good read.


1458310
im just going to say 3 things...
1: you dug WAAAAY to far into this story to post somthin like that...
2: just because we dont know how to do something doesnt mean it is impossible...
and
3: its a fan made story about talking cartoon ponies...lets act like it is and not some non fiction reference guide to the universe for omnipotent beings ok...

1462370
I was not exactly in my right mind at the time...

Hell I'm still not.

1460634 ... Not liking that bit, to be honest. I never saw Trixie as holding that much resentment, especially not against Twilight. I minor quibble, but still there for me.

Otherwise, awesome. I think those might be the new Bearers of the Elements. "And the adventure continues..."

1463727

And Luna never had that much hatred for her sister. What made her Nightmare Moon, made Trixie Envy.

1463786 I suppose. An admitted bias on my part, there. :twilightblush:

Wait happened to Spike, he needs to become immortal too :P

1461932 ....................

FANTASTIC STORY!
5/5 Mustaches :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

:pinkiesad2: I'm crying.... Amazing story :scootangel:

1845895

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is. I, or someone else, should take this up with someone...

Thank you very much!

htsih stoyey is fuckiing amazin. i poromsis to read iit when im sober ubt until than int agets a place on my favorits for making a 21 yaer old war vetera n cary lilke a littl bithc

Aww... it ends... :pinkiesad2:

Love this one. I can't believe that I had this in my read later for such a long time not knowing how good this is. :twilightblush:

I don't think I have the vocabulary needed to describe this story properly. So I shall this, good job.

Great story. So I'm assuming it became a repeating cycle? Every 2000 years, the mane six switch places with Celestia and Luna?

Login or register to comment