• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,730 Views, 66 Comments

"I will make you proud..." - chewyrainbow

  • ...
4
 66
 1,730

Your sight the clouds, your goal, the skies

The mare gave me a long look, almost as if she were staring me down. I held her gaze, I wasn't lying, and I didn't plan on backing down.

She answered finally, "She was quite a mare, may Celestia guide her day and Luna her night...I am very impressed, as a matter a fact, so are the rest of my team," she gave a flick of her tail towards Soarin' and Fleetfoot, who were behind her, keeping away the crowd. She grinned, "I think the Wonderbolts have a new recruit."

My heart felt as if it were about to explode. I didn't want to act like a filly, fighting as hard as ever to contain a squeal, I returned the offer with enthusiasm.

"Oh thank you so much! You don't know how much this means to me!"

She snickered lightly, "Your welcome, but I assure you, there is no competition in that decision, we will be proud to have you on the team."

I raised my head, the wind blowing, my mane now gently swaying in the breeze, I smiled back, again.

"When do I start? What do I do, where do I go?" I was pelting questions right and left at her.

"Slow down, you will be coming with us today back to the home base after we wrap this up, you WERE the last pony in the audition, so, all we have to do is announce it, then we fly back. We go back to the corridor, take a shower, and sleep, next morning we will go to meet Princess Celestia herself, so she may approve of our choice in a new member. . The rest goes from there."

I do let out a small giggle of excitement.

"I hope she approves..."

"I'm sure she will," Spitfire answers, placing her hoof on my withers, "Now let's get going. It's time to announce the winner, I highly doubt that anyone will find it surprising," she winked at me. The yellow mare turned, and I take advantage of this, allowing a small squeal before trotting after her.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm waiting, once again, for my Que. Spitfire is about to call my name, and I will step onto the stage. There will be a crowd cheering.

Only I shouldn't be the one here.

It should be Rainbow Dash.

The sudden thought makes my heart sink. But quickly I swept away the thought, Rainbow Dash said she wanted me to not cry about this.

I can't.

I won't.

I prick my ears to hear my name being called from the stage. Blinking my eyes a few times to dry the tears that had formed, I step out.

My head raised, my wings spread, and my chest puffed out.

I walk defiantly towards the pedestal that is set up in the center of the stage. I nod to Spitfire, Soarin' and Fleetfoot, who were standing together, greeting me with warm smiles.

I step up, now a microphone level with my muzzle.

I see Spitfire has one, and is talking to the audience, I was to caught up in my thoughts to hear whats she says. Tuning out, I see images of me and Dash flying together. I notice Spitfire direct her attention to me, and asks me a question.

"Are you ready to become a Wonderbolt, Scootaloo?"

I grin, "You bet!"

She laughs slightly, "What pushed you forward, into doing this?"

I pause, once again. I can tell the crowd is hanging on my every word.

"To make my big sister proud."

There are amazed glanced, as if the crowd was confused, but I don't care. I was doing this for Rainbow Dash, and I knew that, they didn't have to.

Spitfire smiles,and says something else, but I don't hear that either. I can tell by the way the crowd is already breaking up, that it's time to go. The mare is silent for a while, as I follow behind her. We are goin behind the stage, and then she spreads her wings, we are obviously going to FLY to our next destination. I stretch my wings, and step up next to her.

Breaking the silence, Soarin' and Fleetfoot trot up, in the same position, ready for flight.

"I liked your answer, most ponies who win anything, Best Young Flyers Competition or something, they always say something to their benefit..But you didn't, I think you've got something going for ya' kid." Soarin' spoke with a smile.

I reply with a nod and smile back, "Thanks, but it was the truth..."

We set off into the air, I feel the wind in my mane, and the silvery stars glisten above my head. I feel I'm so close to the sky, I could just turn up and grab one with my hoof.

I turn my head to my side, I'm on the far right, and I see a silvery shape of cyan and rainbow gliding next to me, determination in rose-pink eyes, and a rainbow lightning bolt shining brightly on it's flank.

And I know instantly, I succeeded in making her proud, she came to stay with me. She would always be in my heart, always...