• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,730 Views, 66 Comments

"I will make you proud..." - chewyrainbow

  • ...
4
 66
 1,730

I will make you proud

I stare.

Nothing else, just stare.

Well, maybe quite a few tears rolls down my cheeks, but I am only staring.

My name is Scootaloo, yeah, I have my cutie mark now. So do Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, we aren't the Cutie Mark Crusaders anymore either...Mine is a magenta lightning bolt streaking across a wheel.

Sitting in the line, I wait for my name to be called.

Quickly I dry my tears, Rainbow Dash wouldn't want me to cry, she would want me to be strong.

I remember everything. That day, three days ago to be exact. Thinking back to what happened


- - - - - - - - - -

"Hey Rainbow Dash! Wanna race?" I said, landing on the cloud next to her, as she sat gazing up at the stars.

"Race? Think you can keep up?" A grin forming on her face as her wings flapped, already lifting off the cloud.

"Probably not, but I'll be right behind you!" I said, jumping into the air next to her.

"Challenge accepted!" She said, beating her wings faster, ready to begin.

"Go!" my voice rang out as we set off, me already right next to her, of course we were neck and neck, but she wasn't even close to her top speed, and I could go faster if I wanted.

She turned to wink at me, before shooting ahead, her tail whipping in the wind and a rainbow trail behind her.

I giggle and clench my teeth, soaring after her, a trail of the sunset and magenta purple behind me. I feel the wind in my mane, and of course, I love it. I am already caught up to her.

"You've trained well, squirt," Dash said, not turning away from ahead.

"I had a good trainer," I reply, with a grin.

"True, true, though, I wouldn't say 'good'. More like AWESOME!" she said, spreading her wings and zooming upwards into the night sky, almost as if she were flying for the moon. Her hooves outstretched, she flies onward, not slowing the slightest bit.

A little shocked at the sudden change in direction, I regain myself and outstretch my wings, zooming after her, the moonlight glinting off our pastel colored coats. When I caught up I notice she stopped, as if she were waiting for me.

"What is it?" I ask, now hovering next to her at an amazing altitude.

"Free fall." She says, a gleam of triumph in her eyes, as if she had already won a race.

My eyes gleam also, she had rubbed off on me, I always accept a challenge, and I will do it with all my heart.

"You gonna' answer or not?" Rainbow's cutie mark looked like real lightning in the light of the moon.

"You bet. You gonna try a Sonic Rainboom?" I said jokingly.

"Awwww, that would be cheating, wouldn't it?" She replied, laughing.

"Go!" I yell laughing, getting a head start.

"Hey!" She shot downward, challenge shining brightly in her eyes.

I fly down at an already amazing speed, adrenaline coursing through my veins. I know that I will try my hardest to become a pegasus like Rainbow Dash.

My wings are already burning, and she is caught up to my side, a blur of cyan whizzes by.

I press onward, gaining more speed. Now I have caught back up to her. I can see a cone forming around her hooves, and notice one has formed around me as well. My heart nearly exploded with excitement. I had never gotten this close to doing a Sonic Rainboom before!

Tears drip off my eyes, and evaporate within seconds. My mane whipping in the wind, a trail of sunset and magenta purple behind me. I notice Rainbow Dash is still next to me.

Everything was perfect.

I am so close to a Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow Dash is here to watch me do it. I have my cutie mark, and still have my best friends.

CRACK

I flinch at the loud noise, and notice that Rainbow Dash was now spiraling. Instead of her hooves pointed directly in front of her, they were flailing about. I try to turn and fly at her, catch her, or at least break her fall. But the cone around me acts like a force field, trapping me into a cage of air and fear, worrying for Rainbow Dash.

I notice the cone become more slender now, it sends pain through my wings at the speed, burning me to the bone. I can't enjoy the adrenaline because of all the panic.

Frantically I glance at her, checking to see if she recovered, but no, still flailing, screaming escapes her lips, and I could see how scared she really was, unlike usual.

I close my eyes, and clench my teeth as I notice how rapidly the ground is coming closer, I might achieve a Sonic Rainboom, but my best friend, trainer, and almost sister will die. But I have no other way to break free from the cone of air.

Screaming, I watch her mangled body of cyan blue come within 60 yards of the ground.

I notice how tight the cone around me is, I know I have to pull up or I will crash along with Rainbow Dash. I have no way to save her, she is to my right, not below me, I can't turn that fast, can I?

BOOM

Orange and purple bursts of color shoot out in a circle.

Feeling the sudden acceleration burns at me, more than the first part of the cone. I watch the ground come closer at a dangerous speed, now it is at least 10 yards ahead of me, Rainbow Dash a few yards behind me now.

7 yards,
6
5
4
3
2
1
3 feet,
2 feet,

I spread my wings, screaming in terror and pain, almost as if fire itself were coursing through my wings. Yelling, I notice I am now high in the night air, magenta purple and sunset shining behind me in a bright, sparkly, wave.

Stretching my wings out more, stopping the slower, but still fast, speed.

Turning, I shoot downwards, coming towards the ground, alarm pushing me faster, without a cone of air forming around my body.

Landing on the ground, I look around in a panic-stricken state, my eyes wide and blood-shot. I notice a mangled mound of cyan and a rainbow next to a bush, red seeping into the grass as moonlight gleamed off it.

Tears rolling down my cheeks, I ran to her.

"Rainbow Dash! Are you okay?" I yell, stroking her mane with my hoof, tears staining my coat.

"You d-" she coughed, blood spurting out of her mouth, but she continued, "You did g-great squirt, a Sonic Rainb-boom by s-omepony other than me!" she pulled a light smile.

"Your hurt, come on, I'll get you to a doctor immediately!"

"I don't need a d-doctor!" she said, coughing up more blood. She was being just as stubborn as usual, surely she knew how hurt she really was?

Laying my head on her chest, not caring about the hot and stick red blood soaking into my coat, I whimper, still crying.

"It's gonna be fine, kid. D-" she had another horrible coughing fit, making me cringe at the horrible noise and pain she was obviously in.

"No, y-you have to get to a doctor," I said choking down my tears.

"Scoots, you know I always considered you to be my lil' sister, you have to be one of the best ponies I know. There is nothing a doctor can do for me now, even if they could, it would be to late by the time they got me. If I'm gonna die, I wanna be me, die bravely. Not in the hooves of somep-pony I don't even know." she said.

My tears were now pouring at full speed. I couldn't stop them even if I wanted to.

"P-please, don't, don't go..." I said, wrapping my hooves around her neck.

"Every one goes some time, and now is my time," she put her hoof on my chin, and lifted my head up. Our eyes met, hers were tearing up now, though mine had been crying for quite some time now, she spoke to me.

"Whatever happens, I want you to be the best you can be, go where your heart leads you, and don't let others pull you down. I don't want you to cry over this to much, oh, and one more thing-" her eyes widened, and she coughed again, only much weaker now. Slowly her hoof slipped out from under my chin. Her eyes slowly closed.

Crying worse now than ever, I yelled out, "No! Don't leave me!" My blood curdling scream burned at my throat.
Sobbing, I laid my head back down.

After a few minutes of weeping, I raised my head, a somber look on my face, and i spoke, half to myself, half to Rainbow Dash.

"I will make you proud..."

- - - - - - - - - - -

A white pegasus with a red and silver mane steps up to me, "Scootaloo, your next."

I nod my head, determination in my eyes. I was going to do this, and I wasn't going to mess up.

Stepping out of the side of the arena, the soft cloud floor comforts me in the slightest.
I turn my head to see three ponies in blue suits, trimmed with yellow lightning blots. One with an orange and yellow mane, flared up like flames, one with navy, and another with white and pale blue.

The Wonderbolts.

Rainbow Dash's dream.

Today I was going to join them, today I would show everyone who I am, what I've learned, and that you should never let your past pull you down.

Today I would make Rainbow Dash proud.