• Published 27th Aug 2012
  • 1,731 Views, 66 Comments

"I will make you proud..." - chewyrainbow

  • ...
4
 66
 1,731

Flying, flown, flew

***

I twisted my neck and flapped my wings, preparing for the show. Now I was present back in Ponyville, it had been such a long time since I had been back home. Spitfire had talked about something special she had planned for me here after the show, but wouldn't tell me otherwise. I began to scan the gathering ponies, looking for Sweetie Belle and Applebloom.

But no luck came of it. I did see Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Rarity. It was odd, since they were Rainbow Dash's best friends. The thought hadn't come to my mind yet, but...
What happened to her element? What about the Element of Loyalty?

About two days had past since the incident with Surprise and Soarin' had occured. Secretly inside I was giggling and squealing, but otherwise I brushed the whole situation off entirely.
The smooth rim and inside lining of my suit calmed me as I saw the enormous crowd.

They chattered about everything under the sun,

The moon was rising as Celestia and Luna themselves had shown up. This was my big night and I was determined not to fail.
I waited, nervously tapping my hooves and rerunning the routine through my mind.
Up. Twist. Barrel. Spread. Repeat. Wait. Free Fall. Up. I finished thinking through the rest, until my thoughts were stopped as a familiar pale blue stallion cautiously walked up to me.

"Scootaloo?" He lowered his head. I hadn't talked much to Soarin', although I would have loved to, it just felt to awkward.

"Yes?" I said turning around and sliding my goggles over my head.

"I came to wish you good luck," his eyes looked troubled.

"Oh, thanks..." I stopped and thought for a moment.

"About the other night-"

"No, it's fine, I understand. Just a mistake, completely disregard it."

"But- I-...nevermind..." he turned and left.

"Wait, Soarin'!" I took a few steps in his direction, but then changed my mind. My ears folded back.

What did he want to say?

I heard somepony say something about a 'Five minutes' so I made my way towards Spitfire.
I had gone through my routine multiple times, and we had practice every day until now. I should be ready, I thought I was ready, yet I didn't feel ready.

Spitfire greeted me, outside of the open field we would be performing at.

"Ready rookie?"

"You bet! I can't wait..." my voice trailed off.

"Good, after this, I think there is somepony you'll want to meet," she winked.

I smiled, but then heard a loud voice over a loudspeaker. The voice rang out as the crowd quieted down.

"Microphonic here with the Wonderbolts! Their first show here in five years!" there was a loud cheering. I sorta zoned out after that as I followed Spitfire.

She took me up a small step that led to a platform which was underneath another platform. Judging by where the sound was coming from, I'd think it was in the middle of the area we were performing and probably up those stairs takes up to a stage of some sort.

The flight team of 12, now 13, Wonderbolts stepped up the small case of stairs leading to the stage. I followed behind, not the slightest bit of excitement passing myself. I stepped calmly, and dignified. I knew this is how I should act.

Rainbow Dash had taught me so...

I saw the moonlight glide across my face as I stepped out, the last to enter. I could hear the cheering elevate to a louder level. I felt important, proud, and...special. Which was more than anypony had done for me accept for Dash. As of the fact my mother had abandoned me as well as my father, and having no siblings along with it.

Flashes of cameras flickered among the crowd, I looked around with a smile and my chest puffed out with pride.
I felt like it was endless, the wondrous moment. Almost like I was flying, without using my wings.

I was sent back into reality when Spitfire nudged me, and we took our places on the white marks that had been set out, for our starting points. I knew this was the time, the moment, the one and only moment. The time I could prove myself to the world. I was built up and prepared. Ready for everything, all the moves, and even the free fall it the end.

I could hear loud music playing in the background, not entirely sure what it was, or what the song was but...you know how it goes.

I spread my wings, in unison with everypony else as we prepared for the routine. I could feel the wing ruffle my feathers and blow through my mane. I closed my eyes momentarily, taking in the whole time. The night breeze smelled of fresh flowers that bloomed after dark. The night was calm, and silence had replaced the roaring crowd as we prepared for take-off.
Tonight, yes tonight was a very special night. One I will never, and should never forget. For this time, I would show the world who I was, and what I could do.

This was the time to make myself proud.