• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,459 Views, 3,501 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,501
 11,459

PreviousChapters Next
Daekur's peak

Chapter 187

Daekur's peak

Light shone down through massive stained glass windows as Fluttershy, Twilight and their two local friends were led through the central path of the Cathedral. The stained glass windows actually were a massive boon as they showed unicorns and pegasi battling black, pony-like, creatures which Fluttershy immediately recognised as changelings. More guards had approached to hold the masses back that were desperately trying to get a glimpse of the pegasus and unicorn in their midst. Fluttershy was pretty sure the news would have spread around the entire city by the time they would be ready to leave.

“Twilight, I need you to contact the Vindica, inform them of our situation. I'll try to get as much information out of the ponies here. Make special note of the stained glass windows.”

“Got it,” Twilight replied as she activated her omni-tool and pinged the Vindica. Fluttershy focused her attention on the wide-eyed priest they were being led to. Fluttershy lowered her head a little in greeting as she came face to face with him.

“Hello there, what is your name?”

“B-Brother Annikov, your highness,” falling down onto his knees as he remembered that he was standing in front of one of his gods.

“It's good to meet you, Annikov. We wanted to catch your service more unnoticed but it seems that plan didn't come to fruition. So instead could you tell us something about what you would be telling these ponies directly to us? Maybe even tell us about what the services this past week have been about?”

“O-Of course!” the priest raised himself and started to tell his story of the ancient times. He told Fluttershy about the changelings and the corrupted machines getting beat back by the unicorns and pegasi and how they supposedly sacrificed themselves to save the ponies' ancestors. The priest had others get books with illustrations, marked regions, and more current happenings. Twilight sent all of it up to the Vindica where Luna and the others analysed and matched the stories to their sensor data.

Fluttershy, we matched all of the burns and we have a good idea of which one of the burns may be the main ones,” Luna came in as the priest neared the end of his list.

“...Then, the last one.”

“Wait, there's more?” Fluttershy asked as the priest had covered the stories of all the so-called burns they had detected from orbit.

“Yes, a unique one indeed. Daekur's peak, the mountain of smoke. It is said whenever the mountain stops smoking a massive monster starts roaming the land in search of food. Whenever the beast has had its fill it would return back to its mountain to set it smoking again.”

Fluttershy's eyes widened as she glanced at Twilight before looking the priest straight in the eyes. “And where would this mountain be?”

Fluttershy was quickly shown the location on one of the maps that had been retrieved for them. “It is well within shuttle range. Fidelis informed them after he'd found the place.

“Thank you brother Annikov, your stories have been of great value to me. But I fear my friend and myself have things to deal with.

“I am glad to have served, but may I be so bold to ask a question?”

Fluttershy smiled and nodded.

“You have only just arrived why do you have to leave so soon?” the priest carefully asked, as if the question itself could bring the wrath of his deity upon him.

Fluttershy sighed. “Trouble brews in the heavens, things are moving that even we cannot stop.” she cryptically stated. “We thank you for your hospitality but we must go.”

The priest bowed deeply. “It was my honour.”

Twilight leaned over to Fluttershy as they made their way back out of the cathedral. “We're thinking the same thing, right?” she whispered.

“One very large dragon,” Fluttershy whispered back as they stepped outside. “Can you teleport us back up to the shuttle?”

“As long as I can see it," Twilight replied, looking up to find the tiny dot that was the shuttle. “Hold on.” The crowd took a frightened step back as Twilight's horn brightly flared up. A pop and a crack later they were standing back in the small craft. “So what are we going to do about that dragon?”

“We're going to wake him of course,” Fluttershy stated matter of factly, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Even if he isn't from the previous cycle, the chance he knew a dragon from back then is not insignificant

Twilight stared at the pegasus for a moment. “Fluttershy, aren't you deathly afraid of dragons?”

Fluttershy halted and thought to herself. This would have been terrifying before, wouldn't it? I guess after everything they really aren't the scariest thing anymore. “Huh... I guess not anymore.”

“We're thirty minutes out,” Fidelis' drone cut in. If it's really a dragon I'm keeping my distance with the shuttle.”

“Fair enough,” Fluttershy shrugged. “Do we have scans of the region?”

“I'm pointing the Vindica at it right now,” Fidelis replied, a hologram of the region appearing and slowly increasing in resolution. “Definitely looks like a volcano. If there's a dragon down there then I won't be able to spot it through the smoke and heat.”

“We'll find him if he's there,” Fluttershy replied. “We should check the caldera first, then go down the mountain to see if there's any caves.

“Sounds good to me,” Twilight nodded, the two of them waiting until they reached the vulcano.

“I advice the use of breathing masks, I can detect toxic fumes all the way up here.

“Willdo,” Fluttershy stated as she placed her mask and helped Twilight with hers. “Alright, open up Fidelis.”

The shuttle's door slid open to reveal the volcanic landscape outside, the majority of the fumes rising up from the centre of the caldera but smoke being present everywhere. The shuttle shot back off as the two had stepped out.

“Definitely looks like something a dragon would like,” Twilight said as she stepped out onto the barren landscape. Large boulders were scattered throughout the caldera while a small pool of lava sat at its centre.

“Though I don't exactly see tracks that would suggest there's a dragon here…” Fluttershy gazed out past a large rocky outcrop at the lava pool.

“F-Fluttershy?” The pegasus looked at her friend, Twilight's eyes had shrunk to pinpricks as she pointed at something behind the pegasus.

Turning around, the large rocky outcrop had a draconic eye almost twice the size of Fluttershy.

Twilight teleported herself back and Fluttershy jumped up into a hover as the entire caldera shifted and rumbled. Boulders rolled of the titanic dragon that sat half buried in the rock. As he stood up lava pooled under him, dust and rubble rolling off of his old, battered, scales. Even though Fluttershy hadn't been afraid before, the sheer size of the dragon definitely made her very uncomfortable. The dragon standing at his full height put the current Equestrian dragons to shame.

“You are not from this world…” the dragon rumbled, leaning forward to bring his face closer to Fluttershy, followed by a sniff in Twilight's direction. “You two smell of Harmonic magic.”

“You can smell magic?” Twilight asked astonished.

“You understand him?” Fluttershy immediately asked, surprised as the dragon wasn't talking Equish.

“Your kind isn't the only one who is able to manipulate arcana, pegasus,” the dragon rumbled. “But to see your kind is not dead is surprising.”

“Why?” Fluttershy asked, hoping to gauge how much this dragon knew.

“Have they not returned? I may have been a youngling but I remember the reapers well. Has your kind forgotten the warnings?”

“We did. They're back,” Fluttershy confirmed to the dragon. “We're here to find a weapon ponies were working on.”

The dragon looked at Fluttershy critically again, piercing her with his stare. “You do not seem corrupted by them yet… perhaps you can still turn the tide if you build the device…”

“We can,” Fluttershy stated with determination. “We just need the last part of the blueprint.”

The dragon sighed and stood to his full height.

“Then I will show you.”

Author's Note:

I can't stand leaving things incomplete. I may be sliw but I'll get there.

PreviousChapters Next