• Published 27th Mar 2019
  • 11,458 Views, 3,501 Comments

Mass Effect: Element of Kindness - CommanderApplejack



[CYOA] While exploring an old ruin an unfortunate accident sends Fluttershy halfway across the galaxy, how will the shy pegasus cope with being stuck away from her friends?

  • ...
26
 3,501
 11,458

PreviousChapters Next
The base

Chapter 35

The base

Fly between the two of them 61%

It only took Fluttershy a few flaps of her wing to fly over to the standoff and pose herself between the two. Shepard immediately lowered his weapon, unlike Wrex who kept his shotgun trained in the direction of Shepard.

"Get out of my way, Fluttershy," Wrex warned as he kept glaring past the pegasus at Shepard. "There's a cure to the genophage and these pyjacks want to destroy it."

"We can't let Saren have an entire army of krogan, Wrex, he'd be unstoppable." Shepard shot back getting an angry growl from Wrex in return.

"My people are dying and Saren is creating a cure that could save them! Help me out here Shepard, the line between friend and foe is blurring from where I stand," the krogan said as his small eyes narrowed and his grip on his shotgun tightened, ready to fire if Shepard couldn't give a good rebuttal.

"STOP IT!" Fluttershy shouted, "Wrex, do you honestly believe Saren doesn't have complete control? Do you want your people to be slaves? Tools to be used just like with the rachni?!" she ranted, Wrex slowly lowered his shotgun as he got Fluttershy's point.

"No, I don't want that," Wrex admitted. Fluttershy turned in the other direction to face Shepard.

"And you! Are you seriously going to consider shooting Wrex? A mercenary who is traveling along with us without even getting paid, just because he believes the cause is important enough to do so!" Shepard, having already lowered his pistol, attached it to his hip and walked past Fluttershy to Wrex.

"Look Wrex, I agree that the genophage was, though necessary at the time, an outright war crime. But can't we both agree that this is not the way for it to be cured?" he asked. Fluttershy in the meanwhile had landed behind the two and hoped Wrex would agree.

The krogan grunted and holstered his shotgun as well. "Yeah, I don't like this, but I trust you enough to follow your lead. You did get me back my ancestral armor after all."

Fluttershy let out a breath of relief she had been holding along with the rest of the camp. The watching salarians slowly got back to the work they had been doing previously. "Thanks for knocking some sense into us, Fluttershy. That could have escalated very quickly if you hadn't intervened." The Commander thanked as Wrex had walked off to prepare for the upcoming assault of Saren's base himself.

"I-it's nothing Commander, I just don't like it when two friends fight each other," Fluttershy said modestly, Shepard shaking his head at the remark.

"Don't sell yourself short Fluttershy, if you hadn't intervened I would have shot him. I'm glad you stopped us before we got to that point." Shepard confessed, Fluttershy was shocked at the fact that the Commander had been ready to kill Wrex just like that. "Now get yourself ready for action. Knowing the salarians it probably won't take long for them to come up with a plan of attack."

Fluttershy nodded and went to sit down at one of the crates to the side and closed her eyes for a moment, feeling the adrenaline that had entered her bloodstream fading away. She sat like that for a bit while doing some breathing exercises to keep her calm. At some point, she felt someone sit down next to her and looked to the side to find Garrus sitting next to her.

"Hey, I saw your intervention. Damn good job on that by the way, I know that Wrex and I have some differences, but, for a krogan, he's pretty alright. I'm glad you got them to see some reason," the Turian complimented, "Anyway, the salarians came up with a plan which they're going over right now. I expect we'll be called upon in just a bit."

Fluttershy rested her head against the turian who wrapped his arm around the pegasus, "It's not going to be pretty in there, is it?"

"No," Garrus simply answered while the commander came walking up to the pair as he was seemingly done talking to the salarian Captain.

"Vakarian, Shy, you two along with Wrex are on my team for the coming action. The Salarians are going to assault the front of the base while we sneak into the back," he told Shy and Garrus, who had both stood up. "Tali and Ashely are going to rig the jump drive from the salarian ship to make a bomb from it while Liara will stay on the Normandy and help with comms."

"Where's Kaidan going to be?" Fluttershy asked, not having heard where the last of Shepard's human squadmates would be.

"Kaidan will be assisting the STG units on the ground in the frontal assault," Shepard answered, his voice didn't betray any emotions.

"Oh, okay. But why would you take me instead of Liara? She's much more experienced than I am." Fluttershy asked in confusion, it didn't completely make sense to her as this was, without a doubt, going to prove to be a hard mission.

"Liara can't fly," Shepard simply answered. Fluttershy didn't really have a rebuttal to that. "You might not be as good as Liara is but you have potential, and I want a team that is as versatile as possible for this mission. I want you two ready at the MAKO in ten, we'll be covertly moving to the back of the facility." He ordered over the sound of the salarian captain starting a speech in the background. Garrus and Fluttershy listened to the motivational speech for a couple of minutes before reporting to the MAKO where their part of the action would start.

"Comm check, do you read me, captain?" Shepard asked as the infiltration squad reached its position at the back of the base. Fluttershy along with Wrex and Garrus stepped out of the bushes after the commander, they had been walking through the jungle for about an hour while avoiding any contact with the geth and various krogan patrols.

"Loud and clear, Commander. What's shadow's status?" Captain Kirrahe asked over the radio.

"Shadow is in position to strike," Shepard answered as he looked back at the others who confirmed their readiness with a small nod.

"Understood, we'll start our push towards the base's AA emplacement but it might be up to you to finish the job. Any help you could give us would be appreciated, Kirrahe out." With that, the radio went silent and the group moved forward towards the facility. Fluttershy picked up the sound of distant gunfire from the frontal assault.

A shiver went up the pegasus' spine as she knew that she was about to get into a fight not only with mere geth, that was something she could deal with, but with living and breathing krogan. She wasn't sure that, when it came down to it she had it in her to kill a living creature, even ones she knew had no free will in the first place.

Author's Note:

I didn't want to drag this chapter out for the sake of dragging it out so I'm skipping the vote again, next one will have one for sure though.

I'll give you guys two topics that'll come up next chapter: Sovereign, Indoctrination

Hope you enjoyed! :twilightsmile:

[Paragon] or a [Renegade] Are colored when available, though normal options might also contribute to one or the other. As for the shippers under us [Romance] is now also a thing.
When an option is not available due to various reasons it will be colored [Grey]

No vote this chapter :twilightsheepish:

Now edited by gerandakis

Remember that comments are like authors' food, we gain energy from them. Constructive criticism is welcome.

PreviousChapters Next